Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

Old Oct 8, 2018, 08:30 PM   #13021
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Looking forward to seeing from photos from you with it.. I'm sure they will be good, but the camera itself is an absolute stunner! Congrats!
Thanks man. I've been cameraless for awhile now so I'm looking forward to
being able to get out and shoot again. I could have gotten anything really but decided on used and to stick with a budget this time around. I just don't have the time to shoot and don't want to spend gobs of $$$'s again on gear.
With the budget I set I could have gotten a used D810(shot for a year), D750, or even a D500 again. All far more advanced then the 2013 released DF.
I know it's limitations with it's AF(same as D7000/D600, i shoot both) which will mostly be in lower light situations.
16mp many consider a limitation but lets be honest here, it's an awesome 16mp with the D4 sensor(some say even modified for the better) with clairty and certain magic to its rendering.

Yes, I'm really looking forward to shooting this camera. Now I just need so glass. I may dive in to the older MF stuff

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 G1 - nVidia Gigabyte RTX 3070 OC - Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Intel I5 6600K - crucial 16GB DDR4 - Intel 240ssd5 & WD 1TB 7200rpm - corsair 750ps - HP OMEN 27i -
- corsair spec alpha carbide series case - corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB MX keyboard - Logitech G502 - Sennheiser G4ME One Headset

MSI GE62 Apache Pro Gaming Laptop - nVidia 970m - Intel I7 5700 - 16GB DDR3 - 128ssd & 1TB 7200rpm

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Tyr-Sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:54 PM   #13022
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing from photos from you with it.. I'm sure they will be good, but the camera itself is an absolute stunner! Congrats!
Same here! I have zero shoot time this year...
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2018, 01:53 PM   #13023
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog View Post
16mp many consider a limitation but lets be honest here, it's an awesome 16mp with the D4 sensor(some say even modified for the better) with clairty and certain magic to its rendering.
I used to shoot with a Minolta 7D which was 6.1mp... To be honest, some of my better photos were with that camera.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 23, 2018, 09:56 AM   #13024
RFtinkerer
Not with it

RFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I was curious to see what you all thought of this...interpretation...of Barnard's Loop, the Orion's Belt area. This was shot with a Rokinon 135 f2 and QSI 583wsg monochrome CCD, using different filters. What I did was used red, green, and blue channel data and then hydrogen alpha narrowband for additional dust, emissions and set it for luminance as well for smaller stars and the ripply patterns in the dust. Dust areas are orange...naturally a dark orange color, while the hydrogen alpha emssions are a deep red, then I shifted those kind of funky. Truthfully, I've been tired of trying to duplicate the natural look and kind of like the results. My wife loves them, but other astrophotographers are more purists so they hate it.

Good, bad, just ugly?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:01 AM   #13025
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

From a non-astronomer, a certainly looks cool and like something from space.

I just find it weird that there has to be an interpretation and you cant really replicate its normal look just by taking the picture. Of course we are talking about space photography and I get why but a 1 to 1 accurate picture would be cool.

Are all deep space pictures just interpretations of what they think something should look like?

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:55 AM   #13026
RFtinkerer
Not with it

RFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badges

There's major discussion about this, and reasons why not to do true color. The problem is intepretation. What really is red? Green? It's just electromagnetic radiation. Your brain is processing images for a white balance, different under different lighting conditions, note the shift as you go from one environment to another. Companies spend millions trying to do it for DSLRs, cameras. I included not only red, green, blue channels in the composite but also narrowband Ha data...that is not natural, but adds the fluctuating detail. A lot of shots are done from narrowband Ha, SII, OIII, and put in a false color to emphasize structure. Reference the following article:

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/...the.night.sky/

This is Orion, in 'true color', from Roger Clark's DSLR shot (sideways from the prior mosaic).

This is a wider shot I processed from the 9 panel mosaic, more representative but still with reduced size stars and an emphasis on nebular structure:

I could get it close by only using the red, green, and blue channels and shift around, specifically lower reds and keeping the stars big. I personally don't like the more natural image.

It ain't as God intended, is it? I just like processing to make stuff pretty, in my opinion, or funky as in the prior case.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:35 AM   #13027
RFtinkerer
Not with it

Okay, I was curious to see if I could get closer to true color and Roger Clark's image by not using the Ha data and then just a histogram stretch, curving the hue lightness to approximate my thoughts on the sensitivity of the human eye, using the PhotometricCalibration sequence in Pixinsight. Here are the results:

The point spread function (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_spread_function) of the stars is smaller due to the larger effective aperture of the 9 panel mosaic with the 135 mm f2 compared to Roger Clark's lens, but closer to the image and true color, I think.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 01:41 PM   #13028
necropimp
WRAAAA!!!!!

necropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird sings

couldn't resist taking a pic of this thing after it came in for new tires last week

the way the fading light and the lighting from the building/lot worked with the exposure gave it a vintage advertising photo vibe IMO
Old Oct 23, 2018, 02:01 PM   #13029
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFtinkerer View Post
There's major discussion about this, and reasons why not to do true color. The problem is intepretation. What really is red? Green? It's just electromagnetic radiation. Your brain is processing images for a white balance, different under different lighting conditions, note the shift as you go from one environment to another. Companies spend millions trying to do it for DSLRs, cameras. I included not only red, green, blue channels in the composite but also narrowband Ha data...that is not natural, but adds the fluctuating detail. A lot of shots are done from narrowband Ha, SII, OIII, and put in a false color to emphasize structure. Reference the following article:
I dont know much of anything about how the brain and our eyes interpret colors but I do know how the general population tend to see them as. When DSLRs interpret and process pictures they tend to try to make them as we see them. A red apple is red in the picture(general hue of it changes based on processing) but red still stays a red. DSLRs dont turn a red apple into green. With these space photos it just seems to be that they are interpreted to be most pleasing or cool to look at.

What I want to know is if we were placed in front of something far away in space could we replicate what we saw in person through these deep spaces photos?

Then again just thinking about it the scale of the picture is so big that humans wouldnt be able to see it. Maybe we would just see nothing and there are no colors at all at the scale we can actually see with our own eyes.

Space is too damn complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropimp View Post
couldn't resist taking a pic of this thing after it came in for new tires last week

the way the fading light and the lighting from the building/lot worked with the exposure gave it a vintage advertising photo vibe IMO

Tell him to find a proper parking spot

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2018, 02:53 PM   #13030
RFtinkerer
Not with it

Oh...you are correct, white is white, red is red, white balance doesn't do anything under realistic lighting conditions. OR DOES IT?!?!? This is one my waterfall photos shot in Canon RAW, where the left is set to 'daylight balanced', then I switched it to 'tungsten', which is incandescent lighting indoors. No other setting was changed between the two before export, no exaggerations here. Flourescents get funky too...

Space isn't the only weird thing with lighting...

Seeing color for nebula is so darn difficult. Generally the most you can see in bright ones is a greenish hue, such as in the Orion nebula, because the oxygen III emissions are actually strong enough to stimulate your comparatively sensitive green color receptors. But, in long exposures, even set to 'daylight balance' on the DSLR you get dominant reds, blues, because it exposes differently. So it's not the same. You can get something you can say is close, like Roger Clark's published true color images. I just...don't like them. It's art at some point, you know?

Edit: Looking further, this might be more helpful around the Orion nebula: http://clarkvision.com/articles/colo...rstellar.dust/

Kind of want revise my prior image, but who knows. Still a pain.

Last edited by RFtinkerer : Oct 23, 2018 at 03:15 PM.
RFtinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2018, 04:17 PM   #13031
necropimp
WRAAAA!!!!!

necropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post

Tell him to find a proper parking spot
that is a proper parking spot for completed customer vehicles, i parked it there
Old Oct 24, 2018, 07:29 PM   #13032
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete stranger

Haven't really had the chance to use the Df but caught this rainfall over a soccer-field yesterday.

I only havr the 50 1.8G right now.

It wasn't on my radar(yet anyways) but my newly inquired immaculate nikkor 300 2.8 VRii is on the way.

Both my kids play soccer and my GF's 3 sons play soccer. Two in travel and 1 in college. So I'll be shooting a **** ton of it. If the Df can't keep up I may sell it and buy a D4. I think I'll be fine though as I was never one to spray and prey shots. I usually time my shots with single clicks.

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 G1 - nVidia Gigabyte RTX 3070 OC - Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Intel I5 6600K - crucial 16GB DDR4 - Intel 240ssd5 & WD 1TB 7200rpm - corsair 750ps - HP OMEN 27i -
- corsair spec alpha carbide series case - corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB MX keyboard - Logitech G502 - Sennheiser G4ME One Headset

MSI GE62 Apache Pro Gaming Laptop - nVidia 970m - Intel I7 5700 - 16GB DDR3 - 128ssd & 1TB 7200rpm

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Old Oct 24, 2018, 07:37 PM   #13033
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFtinkerer View Post
I was curious to see what you all thought of this...interpretation...of Barnard's Loop, the Orion's Belt area. This was shot with a Rokinon 135 f2 and QSI 583wsg monochrome CCD, using different filters. What I did was used red, green, and blue channel data and then hydrogen alpha narrowband for additional dust, emissions and set it for luminance as well for smaller stars and the ripply patterns in the dust. Dust areas are orange...naturally a dark orange color, while the hydrogen alpha emssions are a deep red, then I shifted those kind of funky. Truthfully, I've been tired of trying to duplicate the natural look and kind of like the results. My wife loves them, but other astrophotographers are more purists so they hate it.

Good, bad, just ugly?

It's amazing seeing the wide shots and seeing how much is just going on. Usually we just see the orion nebula, horse head, or some other section but to see it all going on is just stunning.

I'd like to get the Df under some dark skys soon.

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:38 PM   #13034
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

A couple of pics from my trip to Cuzco.

Machu Picchu!

BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster Z + Logitech Z-5500 + Logitech G635 | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red + Logitech G700S + Gigabyte Krypton | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD 512GB + 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | LG BD-RE | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Microsoft Reclusa + Logitech MX Performance | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD + Seagate 500GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Bloodzone.net Moderator
lmchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2018, 09:09 AM   #13035
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

awesome!

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Old Nov 2, 2018, 02:55 PM   #13036
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Some Halloween shots, nothing special. All quick snaps as we walked on a crowded street.

All with the 50 1.8g

iso 12800

iso 12800

iso 9000

iso 8000

iso 1800

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Old Nov 4, 2018, 07:20 PM   #13037
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:13 AM   #13038
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Nice!

Using the new lens?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 05:06 PM   #13039
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Nice!

Using the new lens?
Yes the new one

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Old Nov 6, 2018, 09:46 AM   #13040
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog View Post
Yes the new one
Ugh... You are making me want to go out and find a new lens...

Old Nov 7, 2018, 06:34 PM   #13041
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Old Nov 7, 2018, 06:37 PM   #13042
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Old Nov 7, 2018, 06:40 PM   #13043
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Ugh... You are making me want to go out and find a new lens...

The 300 f2.8 vrii is a lot heavier then I thought it would be. I'm still in decent shape at 42 and it gets heavy out it the field for me. I mostly always handhold to. I'm not a fan of tri/mono-pod work but on rare occasions will use one.

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:19 AM   #13044
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

bluejay

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Old Dec 7, 2018, 06:56 PM   #13045
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Old Dec 8, 2018, 07:21 PM   #13046
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

People will not realize how difficult those are to photograph
Bit of front focus maybe?
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:23 AM   #13047
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
People will not realize how difficult those are to photograph
Bit of front focus maybe?
Yes, they're quick and skittish. They don't sit still for a second lol. Not to mention on Full Frame with only a 300mm lens haha.

It may be but I think it's more of my hand-holding this lens(300 2.8 vrii) with VR off.
It's new to me so I'm not use to the weight distribution on my new body(Df, which is light). Saying that, I also may be missing the eye and with shooting at 2.8 that narrow
DOF is at play. It may also be I only had the SS at 1600. I'm sure there is some motion blur here also.

When I get free time I'll test for sure any front or rear focusing.

I really do like the colors coming out of this body though.

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog

Last edited by Tyr-Sog : Dec 9, 2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 08:50 PM   #13048
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Yeah, I got the 200-500mm with the D500 and it's quite a photon capturing tool

Curiously though, the 200-500 is my only Nikon not made in Japan... But its excellent nonetheless...
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:22 PM   #13049
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
Yeah, I got the 200-500mm with the D500 and it's quite a photon capturing tool

Curiously though, the 200-500 is my only Nikon not made in Japan... But its excellent nonetheless...
The 200-500 IQ is in top prime territory. I miss mine.

I'll be selling the 300 2.8 VRII shortly here. I always wanted to try it and it's everything it hyped to be for sure. It's just too much($$$) lens for me to justify what little time I have to get out and shoot.

I'll probably pick up another 200-500.

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Old Dec 21, 2018, 05:20 PM   #13050
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

Yeah. I have the 300AF-ED in 2.8 and it is a great lens, but it is true I do not take it out anymore...