Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Feb 15, 2009, 04:51 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

g-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Metal Gear Solid 4

So, they removed sneaking ?

I mean i tried sneaking but it's just damned near impossible. I stand somewhere and guys will keep coming (respawning) from some door that i can't access.

Or i will be on this huge battleground where there is just no possibility to sneak whatsoever.

Is MGS 4 supposed to be more of a shooter then stealth game ? Or do i just suck majorly at this game.

I have soooo many weapons too, this to me hints it's become more of a shooter then a stealth game .
Is this right ?

Now i wouldnt mind this much shooting, if the controls were a bit better.

The good points : The story, graphics, and art creations are of epic proportions.
The cut scenes are insanely awesome .
I've played for about 7 hours yesterday, and i already want to play again so it's a fantastic game .

However, this whole 'battle field' setting, and the lack of sneaking could be better .

So back to the original question : Anyone being able to sneak around in MGS 4 ? Or has it become more of a shooter then stealth game ...

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
COrsair 8GB DDR3 1600 mhz
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Coolermaster 1000 watt PSU
Samsung w840(?) SSD
http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

Martin Slater, 2K games, (Bioshock) about piracy:
"You can't afford to be cracked. As soon as you're gone, you're gone, and your sales drop astronomically if you've got a day-one crack"
g-a-m-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 04:54 AM   #2
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

you can sneak if you have alot of free time , but for me i just kill everyone.
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 04:56 AM   #3
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

g-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

So basically you're saying i suck at it .

Well i'll go and adjust the controls then, try to make it a bit more like splinter cell controls. ... I like to come up from behind and slit throates and dump their bodies in dumpsters and so on ... I'll need to practice. ..

Oh, and is there a 'load game' screen ?

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

"You can't afford to be cracked. As soon as you're gone, you're gone, and your sales drop astronomically if you've got a day-one crack"
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 15, 2009, 04:58 AM   #4
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

if i really say you suck, then i should say that to myself aswell lol
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 04:59 AM   #5
ML21
No soup for you!

ML21 is still being judged by the masses

you can definitely sneak through the whole game, just gotta learn the AI pattern and make good use of your octocamo. getting the militia on your side helps a lot too. it is possible to beat the game under 5hrs sneaking thru the game, played it on big boss hard.

ML21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:00 AM   #6
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

Can i still make friends with the militia at this point, after i butchered half of them ?

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:16 AM   #7
ML21
No soup for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-a-m-e View Post
Can i still make friends with the militia at this point, after i butchered half of them ?
I'm not sure... try rushing up to them and give them rations or something. If it doesn't work, I guess you are out of luck. How far are you into the game?

Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:28 AM   #8
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

I just beat the first of the 4 women . (the octupus mimic chick) .

I did enter some basement before, where there were all wounded guys and stuff.
I tried to help them but i saw no buttons appear. I then stabbed all the wounded and shook them.

I guess i can no longer make friends with them. I wouldnt mind starting over from here, see if i could have done things differently ... Which are the millitia, how do i recognize them ?

Will they fire at me at sight ?

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:37 AM   #9
ML21
No soup for you!

basically anyone that's not PMC can be teamed up. i think the first time you meet the militias they'll ask you for help. at that point just give them rations or kill PMC while standing by them, they'll acknowledge your help and alliance.

unless you are going for no alert or no kill for the entire game (unlock special item), you don't really have to restart the game.

Old Feb 15, 2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Horus
resident kafir

Horus once held a door open for a complete strangerHorus once held a door open for a complete strangerHorus once held a door open for a complete stranger

theres tons of sneaking, especially if you are doing a big boss run
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:57 AM   #11
Ne0Griever
Radeon Arctic Islands

Ne0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete stranger

The militia are neutual by default which means they won't attack you. Once you start killing them, they'll obviously will start killing on you on site.

For sneaking, the higher the number that is on the top right of the screen, the harder the enemy will see you. You can increase the number by using octocamo regulary and crawling on the stomach.

Ne0Griever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:58 PM   #12
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne0Griever View Post
The militia are neutual by default which means they won't attack you. Once you start killing them, they'll obviously will start killing on you on site.

For sneaking, the higher the number that is on the top right of the screen, the harder the enemy will see you. You can increase the number by using octocamo regulary and crawling on the stomach.
Thank you . But beware i'm not COMPLETELY retarded . You mean well i'm sure but you underestimate me just a tiny bit.

Maybe i'm spoiled with splinter cell, but when i see a street 2 cars wide, with 3 soldiers in it lined up standing still. And i have no where to climb, and must pass through that street i really don't see how i can sneak my way out of it .

edit* wow i just read back my first sentence and i only now just realize how snobbish it sounds omg

sry man ... wtf , omg i'm almost throwing up in disgust. ... again, sry .

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Last edited by g-a-m-e : Feb 15, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:08 PM   #13
shai-tan
Radeon R520

shai-tan is still being judged by the masses

I don't get it. It's called octocamo
shai-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:00 PM   #14
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

If anything, the game doesn't make much sense with the sneaking around. Being able to sneak around a bit not far from where people are standing, in damn near plain site with only a camo suit to blend in.

But as far as the game is concerned, it's actually pretty easy to sneak around and be "stealthy".

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 01:41 AM   #15
Ne0Griever
Radeon Arctic Islands

Ne0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Thank you . But beware i'm not COMPLETELY retarded . You mean well i'm sure but you underestimate me just a tiny bit.

edit* wow i just read back my first sentence and i only now just realize how snobbish it sounds omg

sry man ... wtf , omg i'm almost throwing up in disgust. ... again, sry .
Yeah..Sorry 'bout that. I thought you were completely retarded.

Ne0Griever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:38 AM   #16
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne0Griever View Post
Yeah..Sorry 'bout that. I thought you were completely retarded.

yeah, i'm pretty close but the doctors say i don't need a 24 hour nurse just yet.

Anyway, from reading the posts it's becoming obvious that i just suck at sneaking in MGS 4 .

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:49 AM   #17
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

First Mass Effect, now this.

I fear for the intelligence of the human race.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 01:31 PM   #18
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

godDAMNED this MGS4 is intense ! It's ******* amazing ! Just finished the part with the huge SUBmarine and the Mech-War O M G

Later

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Old Feb 16, 2009, 07:54 PM   #19
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Ah man...I need to play this through. Got a few acts in and never picked it up again.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 07:57 PM   #20
DarkMessenger03
Radeon R300

DarkMessenger03 is still being judged by the masses

This worked for me on just about all the levels in MGS4. You need to switch camo everytime you see a new ground texture or color. Your camo should be in the 80s when you are on your stomach and still. Lots of times if I was camoed well and just layed flat on my stomach enemies would run right past me like I wasn't there. Just don't let them touch you.

Knock out enemies with the MK. II tranquilizer pistol, they go down right away with headshots. Take out any enemies nearby with it, if you cause an alert it will go away when the enemy goes to sleep. And then with the silenced operator pistol kill the sleeping enemies with headshots, then hide the bodies so they won't be discovered.

Sneak around with Snake flat on his stomach, you can usually crawl behind enemies when their backs are turned. Similar to Splinter cell sneaking. There are multiple routes on most of the maps in this game, find the one that looks easiest to you. Be sure your camo is high, be sure to use OctoCamo mask when you get it from Raging Octopus. It will increase your camo by 15%, and is vital for remaining undetected by enemies if they run past you.

Not sure if i'm missing anything but HTH.
Antec 1200 | Gigabyte Odin GT 800W | Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3 | Core I3 2100 @ 3.1 GHZ | 2x 2 GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3-12800 | Saphire VaporX Radeon HD 5870 1GB | 250GB Western DIgital 7200RPM | Western Digital 640GB 7200RPM SATA2 16M | Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM | Creative X-fi XtremeMusic

Heatware: [L=http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=16180]http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=16180[/L]
Heatware: [L=http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=16180]http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=16180[/L]

Last edited by DarkMessenger03 : Feb 16, 2009 at 08:07 PM.
DarkMessenger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 02:06 PM   #21
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I beat MGS3 this morning and decided I couldn't wait for my new MGS4 copy to come in by mail so I ran to Gamestop and got it

I'll just keep the new copy I bought sealed forever
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 02:36 PM   #22
Taman Linkin
Rage3D Veteran

Taman Linkin can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyTaman Linkin can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

welcome to mgs hidavi. sadly a bit late. hope you can stomach mgs1 graphics and control limitation. still an awesome game though.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 02:49 PM   #23
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Thought there were places/encounters where you absolutely must sneak?

Quote:
If conversation with people that we disagree with becomes impossible, what is the way that we solve conflict?... It's violence. — Bari Weiss, journalist
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 03:28 PM   #24
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taman Linkin View Post
welcome to mgs hidavi. sadly a bit late. hope you can stomach mgs1 graphics and control limitation. still an awesome game though.
I beat MGS1 last year
Old Sep 5, 2009, 03:39 PM   #25
Taman Linkin
Rage3D Veteran

Taman Linkin can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyTaman Linkin can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
I beat MGS1 last year
oh ok nice. you seems so happy like you just found it lol
Old Sep 5, 2009, 04:21 PM   #26
Zetsumei
Rage3D Veteran

Zetsumei is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taman Linkin View Post
oh ok nice. you seems so happy like you just found it lol
If you got the special edition of mgs3 you should have the old MSX metal gear 1 and metal gear 2.

Try playing metal gear 2: solid snake, thats still one of the best mgs games ever (they should bring that game out as a psp remake).
Zetsumei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 04:27 PM   #27
Taman Linkin
Rage3D Veteran

still trying to find it. never see it. a lot of normal edition though. and never played metal gear. my first mgs is obviously mgs1 as i started as pc gamer.

Last edited by Taman Linkin : Sep 5, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
Taman Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 06:23 PM   #28
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

So far, MGS3 is the best. Still have yet to really play MGS4 though.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 08:28 PM   #29
dark_preacher
Radeon Arctic Islands

Location: United States i'm no hero. never was. never will be.
dark_preacher is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBT View Post
If you got the special edition of mgs3 you should have the old MSX metal gear 1 and metal gear 2.

Try playing metal gear 2: solid snake, thats still one of the best mgs games ever (they should bring that game out as a psp remake).
actually the regular edition of mgs3 - subsistence has the msx games in the us. all the limited edition has is existence, which is the cutscenes from mgs3 re-cut into a movie.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 09:29 PM   #30
Osirus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
godDAMNED this MGS4 is intense ! It's ******* amazing ! Just finished the part with the huge SUBmarine and the Mech-War O M G

Later
yeah the ending hour or so was like
Osirus is offline   Reply With Quote