Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 24, 2007, 09:17 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Any hope of reviving "dead" usb flash drive?

Hi all,

I have (had?) a PQI Mr. Flash 1gb USB flash drive and it has served we on my key ring even after eating tons of pocket lint from my jeans, it has never given me a problem.

Yesterday, however, I was visiting a few friends and was fixing up their PC's (de-spywaring, installing anti-virii, etc...) and I noticed my flash drive wouldn't work when I plugged it into one of their PC's, so I tried it on the other... nada. So they had a smaller flash drive (had to use it to transfer data from one pc to the other because only one currently had net access b/c they were in the process of moving) and I plugged it in to the one pc and it wasn't recognized on the front ports, but it worked fine on the rear ports so that's what I continued to use.

However, I later learned that my friend had a free flash drive he received at a conference and he said that it never worked. He plugged it into his PC and he just thought it was a bunk drive.

I didn't want to blame his pc for killing drives, but I'm not suspicious that maybe a few of his USB ports are on the fritz (nothing showing up mysterious in device manager) and are frying USB devices. I just warned him not to use them for the time being.

The Problem:

So here is what happens now. I plug the USB flash drive into any pc usb port (USB1.0/USB2.0, doesn't matter) and it is detected as "Unknown Device" on the USB bus. The LED light lights up when it's plugged in, but it doesn't blink (no indication of activity) and it doesn't show up as a storage volume and I can't seem to force a driver on it in WinXP. So I'm wondering if any of you have experience reviving these things.

I've frozen it, cleaned it with cotton, gave it an isopropyl alcohol bath (i removed it from it's casing and dried it VERY well) and nothing. I see no physical damage, but I wasn't expecting to. Still plugs in, LED lights, but it's still detected as an "Unknown Device".

I don't think there was anything that I absolutely NEEDED on the drive, it was basically a mirror of my My Documents folder + some useful apps for trouble shooting friend's PCs. But does any one have any ideas or success stories reviving these thigns? I'd appreciate it!
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote