Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Mar 24, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Thr0tt
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Thr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default HD5850 to 7850 ?

Worth spending the cash to upgrade to this with my setup ? Will I see any difference in performance ?

I know its not much cost wise but was thinking of building a system or at least upgrading his with a spare MA790XT mobo I have and putting my 5850 in it so he can get to Win7 and I get an upgrade in return (he's 6 he will never know I get the better deal ).

$$$ tight atm as per everyone so thought this could be a good upgrade ?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Yup worth it. I'm upgrading from HD 5870 to HD 7850 and see very significant improvement in all games especially newer shader heavy games like Metro 2033
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:48 AM   #4
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Talon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

I went from a 2GB 4850 X2 to a 3GB 7950.

The difference is like night and day; the newer architecture is that good..
Talon_262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

This thread me check out the difference between a 6950 and various other 7xxx cards. I'm surprised how fast the 7850 really is. It's essentially the same speed as my card(s).
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:28 AM   #6
Thr0tt
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Thr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Perfect thanks all for your input. Purchasing now.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:28 AM   #7
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Aren't the 7870 just slightly more and a fair bit faster? That seemed like the sweet spot to me.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:36 AM   #8
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
Aren't the 7870 just slightly more and a fair bit faster? That seemed like the sweet spot to me.
I agree the HD 7870 is faster and better, but if he on a tight budget the HD 7850 will do just fine
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote