Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:59 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Gar
Radeon R520

Gar is still being judged by the masses

Question TOCA Race Driver (a.k.a. Pro Race Driver

anybody have it yet ?
looking forward to this one
Old Mar 27, 2003, 11:56 PM   #2
Gun5
l0wr1d3R

Gun5 is still being judged by the masses

have it on the Ps2, shoulda waited for the Ps2 version, its awsome but it needs BIG TIME AF!!! only the intro looks good then its jaggy hellness I may buy the PC version just because its so good
  • Saphire Radeon X1800 XL 256MB DDR @ 650/804
  • Creative Audigy 2 ZS - Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
  • CenDyne DVD+R/RW 4x2x12
  • Western Digital 160 HDD w/ 8MB Cache
  • 3DMark2001se - 12775 3DMark2003 - 4860-old scores
Kazaa Lite 2.0.2 - Kazaa Hack 2.1 - PeerGuardian 1.96b - SmartFTP 1.0 - mIRC 6.03
Gun5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 06:30 AM   #3
lardlad
Radeon R100

lardlad is still being judged by the masses

Gar

I posted this over at Race Driver HQ, it's a work in progress as i've only played it for about an hour so far............

Well...I received Toca R D this morning and these are my initial thoughts....

The good-

1, err...nice box (ok that's not the only good thing).
2, Really good and well-optimised graphics, I can run 12x10, max detail on everything, 2AA, 8AF. (Looks superb)
3, The story element works surprisingly well (it defiantly adds to the game)
4, The weather affects.
5, Lots of tracks and cars.

The bad & the ugly-

1, The arcade handling
2, virtually impossible to spin in dry or wet conditions. (I have only tried the BTCC so far though)
3, The grass has the same level of grip as the tarmac, yes even in the wet, (what a joke).
4, No rear view mirror.
5, No AA used in the cut scenes. (So far)
6, The bad & the ugly is a work in process as I’ve only played it for about an hour so far. (I’m sure there will be more)

Lardlad.

System

Intel P4 2.53Ghz
512DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
WD 80Gig
Win XP, Cat 3.2+Softmod
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 28, 2003, 06:36 AM   #4
Hanners
Zetsubou Sensei

Hanners is still being judged by the masses

Is TOCA Race Driver out on PC in the UK today?

Old Mar 28, 2003, 06:52 AM   #5
lardlad
Radeon R100

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanners
Is TOCA Race Driver out on PC in the UK today?

Hanners

Yes it is.

While I’m here I’d just like to let everyone know about the install procedure for Toca RD, Codemasters did not make this very clear in the manual.....

Disc 1 = the play disc
Disc 2 = the install disc

1, Install disc 1, (play disc) as soon as it auto play’s it will ask for the data disc (disc 2)

2, Install disc 2

3, After the game has installed it will then ask for disc 1 again (play disc)

Sorry for including this in my reply to you Hanners. (I couldn’t be arsed to post again).

Lardlad
Old Mar 28, 2003, 06:53 AM   #6
Aspect
"Amusing Comment Here"

Aspect is still being judged by the masses

I got the demo , graphics are amazing. Especially the cut scenes
~ Specs -> Athlon XP 2600+ ~ Asus A7N8X ~ Win XP Home - SP2 ~ 1 Gig Geil 3200 ~ ATI Radeon 9800 Pro ~ Catalyst 5.6 ~ Maxtor DB+9 80GB and Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB ~ LiteOn Cd-Rw & DVD ~ Q-tec 450 W PSU ~

SPAM , a tasty alternative to useful posts - Aspect
It's all fun and games until the monkey starts flinging his poop - Fat_Daddy_cool
Aspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 07:03 AM   #7
Hanners
Zetsubou Sensei

Hanners is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by lardlad
Hanners

Yes it is.
Cool, thanks.

Championship Manager 4, TOCA Race Driver and Mother's Day (that's a day, not a game ).... Today is going to be very expensive.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 07:49 AM   #8
€L1T€
Radeon Evergreen

€L1T€ is still being judged by the masses

i thought the graphics were a real let down the track looks pretty decent but the cars are ugly as sin! wheres these lovely reflections on the cars they was showing off with screenshots! the cars look no where near that good talk about airbrushed
Old Mar 28, 2003, 03:26 PM   #9
lardlad
Radeon R100

Well......Unfortunately It's going back to Game in the morning, there are many things that I really like about the game, but I just can't get over the arcade handling.

There is absolutely no finesse regarding the handling of the car's, It's just to manic, in order to keep up with the car's that you race against you have to drive far to recklessly and this ruin's any illusion of driving a race car.

Lardlad.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 03:46 PM   #10
€L1T€
Radeon Evergreen

maybe thats the impression they was meant to give but all series are the same we know toca is more bumper grinding than most race series but the other ones should be more sim like.
btw didnt u used to get black flagged for ramming cars in the old toca games it seems as though they have removed all the rules on this one to make it a more of a casual gamer title than a true driving game aimed at driving fans.
we was suposed to get qualifying yet on the toca season there was none.
in toca dont u actually run a short race in the morning then a long race afterwords or did the reallife toca series change?
Old Mar 28, 2003, 04:53 PM   #11
Gar
Radeon R520

just found out not available here till april 17
only thing im worried about is the steering ,
The handling is very poor on the demo for me with Momo
Graphics are incredible and coded very well.
Demo runs really smooth for me with 4XFSAA and max
Quality AF
Old Mar 28, 2003, 05:03 PM   #12
TimothyB
Radeon Sea Islands

TimothyB is still being judged by the masses

Did the AA glitch get fixed. In the last demo, turning on AA would effect the motion blur and certain objects, like cars, would pop-up through scenery. Even when you did have AA, not all of the track looked like it had AA.

But the blur effect was so nice with AA off, I kept it off and increased the res to 1600*1200 with 8xAF.

I was a little dissappointed at the official demo compared to the leaked demo.

The leaked demo had more sensitive damage and flipping the car happened often. Slamming into the rear of another would often lift the car up on your hood.

In the official demo, even being t-boned, the car wouldn't flip. Accidently rear ending a car felt like bumper cars, nothing really happened.

The grass being ripped up was like 1/20th of how much was being thrown around in the leaked demo too.

Will there being any codes to enable more of a simulation than arcade and more realistic damage?

If someone has the full version, try to get that leaked alpha demo from a year ago. It lets you drive a Supra for like 3 laps. And report how the handling, physics, and damage are like compared to the final version. Keep in mind the leaked will run like hell and if you set the details to higher than two from the highest, it will crash.

Yo can get the alpha demo here (60megs)
TimothyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 10:49 PM   #13
omeo
Radeon R520

omeo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by €L1T€
i thought the graphics were a real let down the track looks pretty decent but the cars are ugly as sin! wheres these lovely reflections on the cars they was showing off with screenshots! the cars look no where near that good talk about airbrushed
I feel the same way about the demo. The scenery is beautiful but the Car reflections are Garbage compared to a game like RalliSport Challenge. It really hurts the overall visual presentation.
omeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2003, 03:14 AM   #14
GrAC3R
Radeon R420

GrAC3R is still being judged by the masses

I had high hopes for this game, especially the graphics.
However, after playing Apex for the last month this game really looks poor in comparison, even at 1600x1200 and I cant say i really care for the cutscenes either.
GrAC3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2003, 09:38 AM   #15
Gar
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally posted by GrAC3R
I had high hopes for this game, especially the graphics.
However, after playing Apex for the last month this game really looks poor in comparison, even at 1600x1200 and I cant say i really care for the cutscenes either.
Apex ??
Old Mar 29, 2003, 03:38 PM   #16
TimothyB
Radeon Sea Islands

Apex is a recent XBox game
Old Mar 29, 2003, 04:48 PM   #17
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Damn, it won't let me use my name in multiplayer. It has a language filter. Funny, last time I checked, Fuk is not how you spell it.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 01:38 PM   #18
RobM
Radeon R420

RobM is still being judged by the masses

The cars and certain bits of scenery still aren't Z-tested properly, don't know if its an AA thing or not (haven't played without AA yet). I did notice when I played it on an 8500 (without AA) you get much more motion blur than a 9700, maybe that is to do with AA too.

Graphics are amazing, especially the replays. I think reflections are good, it reflects the actual scenery onto your car, not just some fixed texture. From close up they do look blocky though, and when you go under gantries etc. some of them reflect a little strangely.

Handling is arcady, but if you read the readme, it tells you to enter SIM as a cheat code, now you can choose simulation wheel handling from the advanced controls menu, which stops the automatic oposite lock, but its much harder with just a joystick (at least with my old and out-of-centre one).

BTCC cars are hard to spin, but some others are pretty easy to spin...

And grass has no where near the same level of grip, what are you on?

Last edited by RobM : Mar 30, 2003 at 01:41 PM.
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 01:59 PM   #19
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Yep, the AA bug is there in the full version... and yes, it's too arcadey. That can be good or bad, depending on what you want to do with the game. I am not THAT impressed with the graphics (Rallisport spoiled me there) and the motion blur is just a gimmick, but it has wonderful framerates with my 9700 (AA6x, AF16x) so I am content. Not happy, just content.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 03:23 PM   #20
€L1T€
Radeon Evergreen

im starting to like this game more and more i just progressed to the power racing tier and the cars in these series fooking pwn! blitzing round hockenheim at speeds of upto 190mph feels so good! the car almost goes up onto 2 wheels on some of the really fast corners! i just did the single day race event in the TVR Tuscans aswell those cars feel really good in this game and are slightly more easy to spin when you put your foot down on the hairpins you often find you self flying round some of the 60-90mph corners sideways rally style
some of the cars do look alot better in replays than the 1st few you get to drive as you lose parts of your body work in the really fast cars you can see the suspension working as you go round corners at speed or over curbs and bumps it looks pretty neat aswell
Quote:
BTCC cars are hard to spin, but some others are pretty easy to spin...

And grass has no where near the same level of grip, what are you on?
i agree the grass isnt like in the other games where you totally lost it but in real life races you dont see people completly lose it on the grass spinning all over the place, even in the wet on some formula one races i have seen mclarens fly onto the grass at speed and manage to get back onto the track with only slight damage to the underneath of the car was it spa where one of them flew onto the grass did a 360 and ended up back on the track facing the right direction and they barely slowed down a few years ago in the wet .
in toca there is still a level of grip on the grass but no where near as much grip as you get on the tarmac

Last edited by €L1T€ : Mar 30, 2003 at 03:29 PM.
€L1T€ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 03:26 PM   #21
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I like the game and it runs very well on full detail. I think the graphics are just fine, nothing groundbreaking but good enough for me. I like the feel of the cars too. Sure it's kind of arcady but that's what I like. There is supposed to be a simulation mode too but I never unlocked/tried it.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 09:40 PM   #22
TimothyB
Radeon Sea Islands

For those with the 9700pros and running with AA. Yes it does decrease the blur effect. On my machine I really didn't notice the blur at all when driving straight, only saw it when turning or hitting something. But the second I turned it off, the blur is clearly visible when just driving straight forward. Also, since I didn't have AA on, I was able to crank it to 1600*1200, which made up for the AA.

Give it a shot without AA, and you'll see the difference.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 01:02 PM   #23
Sherv
Radeon R600

Sherv is still being judged by the masses

Smile

I've only played the beta and offical demos, but for what I've seen the graphics are $hithot!! ok so the landscape and trcks aren't as detailed as rallisport challange but the car models are very high res. As for the handling, well I tryed to play Toca 1 & 2 (still have them) but I always oversteered round fast corners, thus not really getting to grips with the handling but in this new toca game, I love the handling!! quite arcadey but also a little simulation feel to it. It also runs very fast on my rig which helps, with 4XAA, 8XQAF.

AMD T-Bird 1.4 Ghz
512MB DDR 2100
Gigabyte GA-7DXR
ATI Radeon 9700 w/omega 3.2
IBM 60GB 7200rpm
WinXP Pro SP1/SP2 hotfixes
DX 9.0a
Sherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 04:30 PM   #24
Spazmen
Radeon R200

Spazmen is still being judged by the masses

You should try the simulation mode, if you're not happy with the default arcade mode. Taken from the readme.txt file:

"Game options

1) Simulation mode controls

Simulation mode provides a more physically accurate mechanics model. This can be enabled by entering the bonus code 'SIM' on the bonus screen. This is not recommended for digital controllers, for example the keyboard, as they do not provide the subtlety required to be able to control the car well."
Spazmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 04:51 PM   #25
Gar
Radeon R520

This months PC Gamer really panned it
only scored a 51 - hmmmmmmm
Old Apr 4, 2003, 12:43 AM   #26
DarkVamp
Radeon R700

DarkVamp is still being judged by the masses

Hi,

anyone has a tip why I can´t see the car textures ????

My PC: http://www.sysprofile.de/id143122
DarkVamp is offline   Reply With Quote