Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and technical support forum for legacy ATI technology such as Rage, Rage Fury and Rage MAXX.

Old Dec 19, 2001, 08:30 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber
Default Rage Fury MAXX on Win2K/XP

Using the Rage Fury MAXX on Windows 2000/XP

1) Download driver "W2K-640CD19.exe" from here or do a Google search for it.

2) Deactivate 2nd chip (1 of 2 methods):

The first method is to disable one of the chips by use of the jumpers on the board. By default JU101 is set to the DISABLED (D) position, and JU201 is set to the ENABLED (E) position. See attached image below.

The second method is to go to the device manager. There should be 2 listings of "standard VGA" adapters. Make sure one of them is set to DISABLE.

3) Install the video card driver you downloaded, reboot, and then install monitor driver. The Rage Fury Maxx can now be used with Win2K/XP as a Rage128Pro video card
Attached Images
File Type: gif maxxvgajumpers.gif (123.5 KB, 480 views)
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2002, 08:46 AM   #2
vss1980
Radeon 9700

vss1980 is still being judged by the masses

Tried searching for that file in google, yahoo, infoseek, lycos, and none of them turn up anything.

So does that mean that the latest Win2K or WinXP Rage 128Pro driver can be used after disabling one chip?
vss1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2002, 06:33 PM   #3
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by vss1980
Tried searching for that file in google, yahoo, infoseek, lycos, and none of them turn up anything.

So does that mean that the latest Win2K or WinXP Rage 128Pro driver can be used after disabling one chip?
not sure if other driver revisions will work, give it shot and let us know how you make out

I suspect it will work fine, but again i dont know and i dont have a MAXX installed

good luck and PLEASE post results

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 26, 2002, 06:35 AM   #4
vss1980
Radeon 9700

Unfortunately the card I was playing around with didn't play ball.
Using either that Win2K driver for the Rage128 Pro or the latest for WinXP did not get the card working.

Disabling one of the MAXX's display devices worked with no problem and you could get the drivers to go on easily enough but it would just hang as it came to the point to enter the hi-res hi-colour modes (ie. initialise the driver).

Did try various options such as disabling the other MAXX display device and going with (what XP calls) Device2 of the graphics card but it still didn't do anything. Also using different selections of the driver (ie. selecting between Rage Fury Pro to Xpert 2000 Pro) didn't yield any results.

I think the main failing is that the card I had didn't have the enable/disable jumpers there, so I had to try and play about with the devices in Windows.

I have a feeling those with the ability to disable one of the chips will have far better luck.
Old Jan 26, 2002, 09:45 PM   #5
vss1980
Radeon 9700

ATI support doesn't actually say what settings you should use to disable one chip, just what the standard settings are (from what I have seen, this is the standard dual-chip setting). It may be useful for those that want to have a shot, to know what the jumpers should be set to for single GPU operation only.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 09:28 AM   #6
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by vss1980
ATI support doesn't actually say what settings you should use to disable one chip, just what the standard settings are (from what I have seen, this is the standard dual-chip setting). It may be useful for those that want to have a shot, to know what the jumpers should be set to for single GPU operation only.
I'm not sure what to say, it sounds like you've done a very thorough job of trying to get it to work. Only other thing I could recommend is do a google search for instructions from other users that have gotten the Maxx to work with 2k, but according to my previous research this is the only way.

Really wish there was more I could recommend, but if you figure out any solutions please let us know.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 06:40 AM   #7
vss1980
Radeon 9700

I should point out that I'm trying to get the MAXX to work with Windows XP. It seems that by including support for it natively in WinXP, it now just doesn't want to work as half a card (as it would in Windows 2000).

Also, must point out, dont use WinXP driver in Win2K. They will not work!
However, you can use Win2K drivers in WinXP (although they may not be 100% stable or have all features).
I'm sure if I was playing about with Windows2000 it would be working as the methods to get it working have been tried and tested ok.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 07:27 AM   #8
Maxz

Maxz is still being judged by the masses

Question Info on MAXX & Radeon

Has anyone here gotten the Maxx to work this way? I didn't really read any messages that made it sound that anyone had. If one processor is disabled what does the card run at then? Would it still be worth using? I used a MAXX with Win98 and loved it, sucked that ATI wouldn't get on the W2K bandwagon.

Right now I have a Radeon 64 DDR VIVO in one of my systems and an ATI Expert 2000 in the other. I am looking to replace the expert card, thought about another Radeon DDR, can pick one up for aroun $50 i beleive. Any suggestions on the newer Radeons? I haven't done to much reading on those? Would the MAXX on one processor be better than the Expert? Probably I would guess.
Maxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2002, 02:41 PM   #9
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxz
...Would the MAXX on one processor be better than the Expert? Probably I would guess.

no, the MAXX with only one processor becomes a Rage128pro card with 32mb sdram with no advantages. You're better off buying cheap Radeon card instead.
Old Apr 9, 2002, 11:56 PM   #10
Jeff Lange
National Jeff Day!

Jeff Lange is still being judged by the masses

This wrecks my MAXX experience, oh wait it ended 2 years ago.
Old May 5, 2002, 09:43 PM   #11
jcastill
Mexico Man!

jcastill is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyborg From Red
This wrecks my MAXX experience, oh wait it ended 2 years ago.
As a guy with driver modding knowledge, you should help EnDlEsS to develop the new MAXX drivers.
jcastill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2002, 06:36 PM   #12
Noha

Noha is still being judged by the masses

Default No Direct 3d / OpenGL

Great! it works fine with that driver.

But I still cant use Direct3D or OpenGL.
At Display options there is a register with OpenGL and Direct3D but if i wanna try to use it in a game it doesnt work.

Anybody an Idea?
Noha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2002, 01:38 PM   #13
jcastill
Mexico Man!

What jumper and to what position I need to move to have just one chip working?
Old Jul 23, 2002, 12:30 AM   #14
Commodore

Commodore is still being judged by the masses

Default drivers for xp

i believe microsoft got both chips working in XP. I have a set of the drivers from the XP cd. They support D3D and basic 2d. However opengl and dvd playback are still unsupported. Im givng thought of trying to combine some win9x drivers with the ones on the XP cd......
Commodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 09:04 PM   #15
jcastill
Mexico Man!

Default Re: drivers for xp

Quote:
Originally posted by Commodore
i believe microsoft got both chips working in XP. I have a set of the drivers from the XP cd. They support D3D and basic 2d. However opengl and dvd playback are still unsupported. Im givng thought of trying to combine some win9x drivers with the ones on the XP cd......
If you can make it work, tell me please.
thx
Old Sep 24, 2002, 07:00 AM   #16
Stomp357

Stomp357 is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: drivers for xp

Quote:
Originally posted by Commodore
Have you tried the Maxx in WinXP lately? I have a Maxx, and would like to move up to WinXP, but don't want to spend the energy if the Maxx only works as a 2D display adaptor. You said they fixed WinXP drivers to work with both chips in D3D? Is this done by a WinXP update from MicroSoft?
Stomp357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 01:51 AM   #17
jbooth
Radeon R200

jbooth is still being judged by the masses

wow no one ever comes in here... and posts for like 6 months.... ekks
jbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 05:13 AM   #18
Big Z
Rage3D Veteran

Big Z is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
wow no one ever comes in here... and posts for like 6 months.... ekks
This last post has surely improved the quality and relevance of this forum.
Old May 3, 2003, 05:05 PM   #19
Harlequin
Radeon R200

Harlequin is still being judged by the masses

Default RF MAXX and win2k/xp - its a no go.

the reason why its a no go ;

the card has a `serial` rendering method - by this i mean one chip renders one frame and the other renders the next. so this works in win98 - the agp bus can do this in the 98 kernal - in NT its different , and as such can`t control what is effectivley 2 gfx cards on the same bus.

the reason 3df`s voodoo series can work is , the rendering method employed is of a `parrallel` type = the same frame is broken down into different `bands` and then rendered by each chip.

the v5 6k (of which i have one) also has a bus controller on the card - the HiNT chip. this means the card is identified as a PCI card - and as long as the correct signalling (instructions) are used it will then work in NT.

sorry to blow anyones hopes - but the RF MAXX will never work in NT (properly = both chips being used)
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:40 PM   #20
Kelly's Hero

Kelly's Hero is still being judged by the masses

Default Rage 128Pro and Win2kPro.. still no go?

man i wish i'd found this forum at the beginning of january when my original win98 install died and after the upgrade to 2kpro it wouldn't accept my Ati Rage 128 Pro, even with the newest driver i could get from ATi.
I read this whole thread, but i'm still a bit confused couldn't figure out what the final (or most recent) verdict on reconciling Rage128 Pro and win2k(pro).

So, if there is a driver out there that anyone knows of, let me know please, cause i've been stuck with a 3dfx voodoo3[ ever since, and just like the name, its just a bunch of smoke and mirrors, no substance. I dunno when 3dfx developed it, but it can barely run cstrike (simple maps) and textures of much substance mean fps < 16 for certain, all the way down to 4-8fps in any partially open areas in piranesi and torn, and maps with similar textures. plus, it has all of TWO options for screen resolution in normal windows, which is just plain silly, and its makin me go a little "".
Kelly's Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 09:49 AM   #21
ontrion

ontrion is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation Problem installing MAXX on XP

When trying to install the newest Rage Furry MAXX drivers located on Ati's website. I encountered a error while the Install program loads. Windows xp displays a error report message, explaining the error involves:

AppName: _ins5176._mp AppVer: 5.14.157.0 ModName: atiicdxx.dll
ModVer: 5.13.1.1061 Offset: 0000df45

if that helps? I have the current drivers that came with XP installed, but they do not support OpenGL, and the ATI website says that these new should support OpenGL so I thought a update was needed.

I was able to unpack the drivers from the file "WXPR1286133279.exe", and the problem occured when I ran the "SETUP.EXE" in the "C:\ATI\support\WXP_R128_6_13_3279" folder.

Any Help? Please, I dont know what to do.
ontrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 06:18 PM   #22
swaaye
Radeon R200

swaaye is still being judged by the masses

I seem to remember ATI admitting to being unable to get the MAXX to work in 2k/XP. There's a limitation to the OS that prevents it from addressing both chips on the board I believe. They couldn't work around it and thus posted a public apology.

You need to upgrade to a $50 Radeon or something friend. Sorry.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 03:53 PM   #23
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by swaaye
I seem to remember ATI admitting to being unable to get the MAXX to work in 2k/XP. There's a limitation to the OS that prevents it from addressing both chips on the board I believe. They couldn't work around it and thus posted a public apology.

You need to upgrade to a $50 Radeon or something friend. Sorry.
Actually it was hardware related and had to do with the way the chips worked together on the AGP bus. It needed a bridge chip to work correctly with 2k and that is what killed it.

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 07:32 PM   #24
Big Z
Rage3D Veteran

Big Z is still being judged by the masses

Try a manual install of the driver instead of using the setup program

Last edited by Big Z : Mar 26, 2004 at 07:35 PM.
Big Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:58 AM   #25
NeloAngelo Mk1

NeloAngelo Mk1 is still being judged by the masses

Those drivers (the W2K-640CD19 ones) don't appear to exist on the internet anymore. Anyone have a copy they could wire me, cause I'm stuck with this Fury Maxx till my X800 XT arrives, and I'm having some major problems.
NeloAngelo Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:54 AM   #26
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeloAngelo Mk1
Those drivers (the W2K-640CD19 ones) don't appear to exist on the internet anymore. Anyone have a copy they could wire me, cause I'm stuck with this Fury Maxx till my X800 XT arrives, and I'm having some major problems.
http://www.partner.optimus.pl/sterow...2k-640cd19.exe
Old Mar 17, 2005, 03:55 PM   #27
FiggyG
Radeon Caribbean Islands

FiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete stranger

To get it working under XP SP2, I disabled the second devicem, went to update the driver and selected a Rage128 driver which XP said was compatible, set the AGP gart to PCI to PCI Standard controller, and XP doesn't hang on boot anymore. Hope this helps someone, no special drivers required. Haven't tested 3d, and honestly, it's not going to be used for gaming at all... too old.

I'm still testing it out... I'll see how well it works and if better performance would come form a driver update.

EDIT BY GATOR: FiggyG received undesirable results and deleted his post. However I have restored this post because it has relevant information.

Last edited by FiggyG : Mar 17, 2005 at 04:03 PM.
FiggyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 07:34 PM   #28
The Pig
Banned

The Pig is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggyG View Post
To get it working under XP SP2, I disabled the second devicem, went to update the driver and selected a Rage128 driver which XP said was compatible, set the AGP gart to PCI to PCI Standard controller, and XP doesn't hang on boot anymore. Hope this helps someone, no special drivers required. Haven't tested 3d, and honestly, it's not going to be used for gaming at all... too old.
This old post actually helped me with an older computer I had lying around. Thanks FiggyG.

Last edited by The Pig : Aug 7, 2007 at 05:52 PM.
The Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 04:32 AM   #29
tomherry
Banned

tomherry is still being judged by the masses

very nice u have good idea about driver "W2K-640CD19.exe"
tomherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 08:43 AM   #30
rooshidavid

Rage Fury Pro/Xpert 2000 Pro (Microsoft Corporation):ATI's Rage Fury Pro 3-D accelerator is an affordable video card upgrade for those who want a card that can handle a range of graphical tasks.