Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Sep 14, 2003, 10:36 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
GTaudiophile
Radeon R520

GTaudiophile is still being judged by the masses

Default OMFG: M10 vs. GeForceFX Go5650 @ Anand (M11 not far off)

Read Here!

OMFG! I can't believe the HL2 benches!!!

Shockingly, only 3 out of 8 times was the GeForce FX Go5650 able to surpass the 10 fps barrier.

ROFL!!!

Other noteables:

While we can’t release full results, we can state that in our Half-Life 2 benchmark runs, the Mobility Radeon 9600 was able to noticeably generate less heat...

Hopefully, we will see the next generation of mobile graphics processors (M11 and NV36) with an announcement much closer to their full market release. (Of the two, we have only been able to see M11, which is definitely something to keep your eyes peeled for as we near official announcement.)...

The developer of Half-Life 2, Valve, is the first developer to voice their displeasure for the NV3x architecture with such intensity, because it has forced them to write additional codepaths particularly for NVIDIA hardware; thus, costing them time, money, and extra resources. This was something not needed to run on ATI hardware, which is why they entered into an agreement with ATI. The order of the agreement was based on already existing hardware benchmark scores to a marketing agreement, not the other way around as some have speculated.

My System Specs

Last edited by GTaudiophile : Sep 14, 2003 at 10:50 PM.
GTaudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2003, 11:15 PM   #2
GTaudiophile
Radeon R520

What, no additional comments yet?

Anand says some good stuff there!

My System Specs
Old Sep 14, 2003, 11:23 PM   #3
realODDSMAN
Banned

realODDSMAN is still being judged by the masses

Anand also stated that their entire staff now only uses Nvidia cards for every day household activities like vacuuming and as a fan.

Also dont forget an Nvidia Heater for december.
realODDSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 14, 2003, 11:30 PM   #4
Someotherdude
Radeon Evergreen

Someotherdude is still being judged by the masses

Holy cow, what a beating the M10 gave the Fx. I feel sorry for companies that have already made laptops with the FxGo. At least with desktops they could change video cards.
Someotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2003, 11:48 PM   #5
AsDDff
Resident EviL

AsDDff is still being judged by the masses

ouch fxgo is just as a big flop on laptop as it is on desktop
Old Sep 15, 2003, 12:07 AM   #6
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quite shocking to say the least, but if you think about it no real surprise. The FX mobile is based on the same hardware that is crippled in DX9 functionality, only with the mobile version even more compromises had to be made. The FX just CRAWLS, totally useless in DX9.

Good job ATi, another winner.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 12:52 AM   #7
Saist
Radeon R520

Saist is still being judged by the masses

ouch... HL2 on mobile...

http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1866&p=9

and to think I once told Brian Burke and Stephen Sims face to face that I was interested in the mobile GeforceFX...
Saist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:19 AM   #8
Wunderchu
Radeon Northern Islands

Wunderchu is still being judged by the masses

thanx for the heads up, GTaudiophile

May the light of the Lord shine upon your path.

{my avatar GIF was created by Blizzard Entertainment®}
Wunderchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:25 AM   #9
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Well, that was not surprising. But never the less, the HL2 benchmarks was "shocking" as Anandtech stated.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:42 AM   #10
GTaudiophile
Radeon R520

Bump for the morning crowd.

My System Specs
Old Sep 15, 2003, 07:40 AM   #11
Johnmcl7
Knowledge is Power

Johnmcl7 is still being judged by the masses

I'm really disappointed Dell went with the 5650 for their new Inspiron 8600, at the moment they don't seem to be offering the 9600 at all I'm hoping this will change given that the mobility 9600 seems to be a superb mobile graphics card in its own right, and easily better than the 5650.

edit: I like this quote the best:

Quote:
Even at its best, the GeForce FX Go5650 was only able to close the gap between the Mobility Radeon 9600 to 234%. “Slow as a pregnant yak” was a phase that we often heard in reference to these scores
John

"Every person has voices in their heads, whispered doubts and ambitions, dreams and nightmares. How much reality one gives them, how much you allow yourself to be controlled...that only you can decide"

Last edited by Johnmcl7 : Sep 15, 2003 at 08:11 AM.
Johnmcl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:16 AM   #12
chramcow_daniel
In play, run(s)

chramcow_daniel is still being judged by the masses

Nvidia owned big time...
chramcow_daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:19 AM   #13
Ratchet
The Tool

Ratchet is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Thanks for the mornign crowd bump. I might have missed this otherwise. Very interesting. I'm glad Anand laid out why Valve picked ATI over nVidia in the second to last paragraph. People seem to think it was all about the $.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:08 AM   #14
GTaudiophile
Radeon R520

One last bump so it doesn't get reposted again.

My System Specs
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:58 AM   #15
GTaudiophile
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally posted by oct13
It never ceases to amaze me how much time you fanATIcs spend discussing nVidia products in a Radeon forum.
No, we're just talking about how much nVidia products are being pwned by ATi products!

My System Specs
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:35 AM   #16
tdd
Radeon R300

tdd is still being judged by the masses

Default M11 ?

Great article. Any links to more info on the M11?
tdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 11:58 AM   #17
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Ehh.. Decent article.. I feel they were merely pointing out the obvious. Otherwise.. I think it sounded a bit one sided, although seeing those benchmarks even across the board, and then ending with HL2 and AM3. Im sure I would sound one sided also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 01:12 PM   #18
Microsoft
Banned

Microsoft is still being judged by the masses

its anand , not worth the webpasge its printed on.

we will see when its released whos complaining
Microsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 01:43 PM   #19
RickCain
Radeon R300

RickCain is still being judged by the masses

^ was that a direct quote from the nvnews.net forum?
DD T Rack
PPC 850 Power Supply
1 x 300 Vello HD OS
1 x 1TB HD storage
Cooling brought to you by Dtek and Feser!
RickCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 02:20 PM   #20
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

Well at least HL2 is playable on an m10 equipped notebook. The FX5600 to go is a total failure from a gaming standpoint.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 02:27 PM   #21
Hellbinder
Nothing but the Truth

Hellbinder is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
The developer of Half-Life 2, Valve, is the first developer to voice their displeasure for the NV3x architecture with such intensity, because it has forced them to write additional codepaths particularly for NVIDIA hardware; thus, costing them time, money, and extra resources. This was something not needed to run on ATI hardware, which is why they entered into an agreement with ATI. The order of the agreement was based on already existing hardware benchmark scores to a marketing agreement, not the other way around as some have speculated.
No this was a Quote from the ARticle itself. Not Some forum member.

We should all make this our Sig. Or have some kind of Quick Quote Feature heh. For all the FUD people are posting all over the place.

At least some people Understand the obvious..
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 02:43 PM   #22
Heinrich
Radeon R300

Heinrich is still being judged by the masses

Unfortunately I can't find too many laptops with this chip even in it! Worse, it's next to impossible to find this chip on an Athlon laptop. What are our options?
Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:07 PM   #23
Johnmcl7
Knowledge is Power

Johnmcl7 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Heinrich
Unfortunately I can't find too many laptops with this chip even in it! Worse, it's next to impossible to find this chip on an Athlon laptop. What are our options?
I'm having exactly the same problem over here in the UK, my current laptop is having serious charging/battery problems so I've been waiting for a new Dell 8600 with a mobility 9600, but them and many others have gone for FX5650s which is really quite worrying given that the 9600 has the 5650 beaten in terms of performance as well as practicality, the anandtech article hinted that the 5650 ran hotter than the 9600. I haven't been able to find any laptops in the UK with mobility 9600s

John

"Every person has voices in their heads, whispered doubts and ambitions, dreams and nightmares. How much reality one gives them, how much you allow yourself to be controlled...that only you can decide"
Johnmcl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:04 PM   #24
Moose1974

Moose1974 is still being judged by the masses

“Slow as a pregnant yak” <-------- That's my favorite quote.
Moose1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:36 PM   #25
silencerelite
Rage3D Veteran

silencerelite is still being judged by the masses

same goes with alienware which they decide to go with geforcefx go card. what were they thinking?

i really want this kickass laptop with m10.
AMD Athlon64 X2 4800+ @ 2.64Ghz| Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro | 2x1GB OCZ DDR400 Platinum | ASUS A8N-E | Sony DVD-/+RW Double/Dual Layer | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX | 150GB Raptor X | Samsung 24" SyncMaster 244T | LIAN LI PC-60USB | BFG 650W | Windows XP /w SP2
silencerelite is offline   Reply With Quote