Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

"

Old Feb 5, 2003, 05:08 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
DonRayden
Radeon HD 6770

DonRayden is still being judged by the masses

Default Card Crash? Stutter? bad performance? The first look thread

so many many many people open threads about "card chrases" etc...
so here is a little guide for all angry people to look before opening a new thread (perhaps should go sticky )

card crash:
- try agp voltage in bios up to 1.7 (should fix 95 % of the problems)..try 1.8 if 1.7 did not function
- install all the latest motherbard bios
- run in agp 4x mode (powerstrip or even with the smartbus) (should fix chrases in 98%, I run in agp 4x mode, there is no certain perfomance loose and you don't have to set up your card to 1.7 agp voltage)
- uninstall ati drivers , then install directx 9, after that the ati cat 3.0 drivers
- minimum 300 watt power supply (even some guys have no problems with 250 watt, so it is a question of other components in your system)
- try not to share the power cable of the ati card with many other devices
- do not share irq of the ati card with other devices (seems to be a big problem especially with soundblaster cards)
- use no card on pci 1 slot (next to agp slot) , look in your motherboard guide which slot also shares irq with agp slot
- the ati card gets very hot, so you look if the card has enough air

-----------------------------------------

stutter problems:
- try to disable all icons in the tray (right bottom corner in default...where the clock is )
- try disabling as many programs as possible (use alt+ctrl+del to see which programs run in background)
- you can set with the task manager the priority of your 3d program up to high (causes some problems, but could also help)
- you can set the hardware acceleration in windows down a notch (fix stutter in 95 %)
- try disabling agp fast writes in bios (some guys say so , I have no certain results with it)
- execute smartguard and look if everything is enabled
- try changing "system" in the device manager from acpi-uni (default win xp, means a motherboard with 2 or more cpu) to acpi (one board with one cpu)..some people have success, some not (me inclusive )
- stutter in opengl is fixed with the latest ati drivers

----------------------------------------------------------

bad performance:
- see stutter problems
- antivirus programm in background?
- other heavy programm in background ?
- execute smartguard and look if everything is enabled
- many people are angry about bad performance in some games like battlefield..remember that perhaps your firwall or internet conection makes trouble

--------------------------------------------------------

the stutter in some direct3d apps is still a bug in the drivers and i think ati is working on it...perhaps you have success with my tips

and now .. where is my medal ?
SB Audigy Player
Hercules / Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
Win XP SP1

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5640877

Last edited by DonRayden : Feb 5, 2003 at 05:15 PM.
DonRayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 08:37 PM   #2
johnrr6
Radeon HD 6850

johnrr6 is still being judged by the masses

Default Good Post

Good Post-----as for the medal-----as my old Top Sergeant used to say, "Medal hell!------see the Chaplain!"

I'd add just a couple of things:

Make SURE you've cleaned your old drivers out----there are some good methods in the forums----I use DriverCleaner-----a nice little App I got from www.driverheaven.com.
Disable Vsynch
Defrag your machine
Maybe Flash the bios to 8004
Try different refresh rates-----after trying everything-----I set my monitor to 60 htz and UNBELIEVABLE! the stutter was gone!!! I have no clue why that made a difference-----but it worked. A little harder on the eyes----but I can live with it.
Get rid of that godawful heatsink shim and apply some good Arctic Silver 3----your temps will drop making for better performance.

John
johnrr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 02:39 PM   #3
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers**G.I.BRO** has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Thumbs up Its now a sticky

Some good tips mentioned here.
Kudos!
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 6, 2003, 03:37 PM   #4
The_KELRaTH

The_KELRaTH is still being judged by the masses

"Try different refresh rates-----after trying everything-----I set my monitor to 60 htz and UNBELIEVABLE! the stutter was gone!!!"

Yeah... thats the big one. As long as your fps is at your monitor refresh rate all is perfect - problem is in some games that's near impossible to do.
The_KELRaTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 05:23 PM   #5
WarFlail
Radeon HD 6670

WarFlail is still being judged by the masses

Re: Crashes

Would it help to increase the DDR voltage as well as AGP voltage? I heard something like 2.6-2.7V for the memory and 1.6-1.7V for the graphics card works well.

-=W=-
P4 3.06GHz HT | Gigabyte GA-8INXP (Intel E7205 chipset, AGP 8X) | Thermaltake Xaser II 6000A w. Antec TruePower 430W PSU | 1Gb Kingston dual-channel DDR333 RAM | Gigabyte Maya II Radeon 9700 Pro | Creative Audigy 2 Platinum | Pinnacle Systems DV500 DVD video editing hardware | 2 x Western Digital HD 120Gb w. 8Mb cache | Sony DRU-500AX DVD/CD rewritable drive | Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW | Sony G520 21" monitor | Hitachi CML174SXW 17" LCD monitor | Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700 speaker system | Windows XP Pro w. SP1 | DirectX 9.0b
WarFlail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 05:28 PM   #6
WarFlail
Radeon HD 6670

WarFlail is still being judged by the masses

Also, would changing 'AGP Aperature' (Aperture?) size have an effect on improving stability/smoothness?

-=W=-
P4 3.06GHz HT | Gigabyte GA-8INXP (Intel E7205 chipset, AGP 8X) | Thermaltake Xaser II 6000A w. Antec TruePower 430W PSU | 1Gb Kingston dual-channel DDR333 RAM | Gigabyte Maya II Radeon 9700 Pro | Creative Audigy 2 Platinum | Pinnacle Systems DV500 DVD video editing hardware | 2 x Western Digital HD 120Gb w. 8Mb cache | Sony DRU-500AX DVD/CD rewritable drive | Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW | Sony G520 21" monitor | Hitachi CML174SXW 17" LCD monitor | Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700 speaker system | Windows XP Pro w. SP1 | DirectX 9.0b
WarFlail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2003, 09:49 PM   #7
azukre
Radeon HD 6850

azukre is still being judged by the masses

The best way. Never buy ATI cards again.
Man, I shoulda buy TI 4600. They have better driver programmers than ATI. Damnit, wasted $399.
azukre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2003, 04:24 AM   #8
Scrapper_511
Radeon HD 6870

Scrapper_511 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by azukre
Man, I shoulda buy TI 4600. They have better driver programmers than ATI. Damnit, wasted $399.
Uhm...WRONG!!!
ASUS A7N8X, AMD XP 3000+ Barton, 2X Corsair CMX512 333 (1GB dual channel), ATI R9700Pro, Audigy 1, Seagate Barracuda IV 80G, Lite-On LT48246S, Pioneer DVD-120, Antec SX835II w/ TruPower 380W, WinXP Home, SP1
3DMark2001SE 3DMark2003
Scrapper_511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2003, 05:01 AM   #9
DonRayden
Radeon HD 6770

DonRayden is still being judged by the masses

the agp aperture size is not as important as many people think...

in the news asus bios, it is limited to 32 mb..i think 64 mb is the best option
SB Audigy Player
Hercules / Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
Win XP SP1

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5640877
DonRayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2003, 01:07 PM   #10
azukre
Radeon HD 6850

Quote:
Originally posted by Scrapper_511
Uhm...WRONG!!!
I'm damn right about it.
Old Feb 9, 2003, 01:52 PM   #11
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i was going to try an rma my card because of random corrupted graphics but ati tech told me to try upping the agp voltage. it's been smooth sailing ever since =)
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows. 8.1
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 10:17 PM   #12
SuperFanBoy
Radeon HD 7970

SuperFanBoy is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I'm damn right about it.
you could have problems with nvidia card as well, i have couple 9700pros and both work very well and this is coming from ex-nvidia follower so there you have.
DVB-T HDTV TV Tuner, LiteOn CD-RW 52/32/52, LiteOn DVD+/-RW, LiteOn DVD 16/48
MS Natural Keyboard Pro, Logitech MX700 Mouse, MS Sidewinder FFB2, Logitech MOMO Wheel, Logitech Rumble Pad, ANTEC 1080AMG WITH TRUEPOWER 430W PSU
SuperFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 02:28 AM   #13
azukre
Radeon HD 6850

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperFanBoy
you could have problems with nvidia card as well, i have couple 9700pros and both work very well and this is coming from ex-nvidia follower so there you have.

There are more problems on ATI Cards itself other than 3rd party related.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 10:25 AM   #14
kiljaden5

kiljaden5 is still being judged by the masses

Does this include stuttering occasionally in video/movie clips and flash animations??
kiljaden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 10:26 AM   #15
Adversary
.....but Emily loved him

Adversary is still being judged by the masses

Don't waste my bandwidth by registering yourself and your complaints. Ask for help, be specific, don't spend any more time slating the card till you can tell us all what is wrong with it.

Carter: MSI 875P Neo FISR v2 // Intel Pentium 4 3.4Ghz // Gainward Geforce 6800 Ultra *GS*
1024MB Corsair VS RAM // IBM 180 GXP 80Gb // IBM 120 GXP 80Gb // Maxtor Plus 9 120GB // IBM 180 GXP 123.5Gb 8MB Cache
Black Chieftech Scorpio Case 440 W PSU // 4 x 8cm Case Fans // AOC LM-919 19" LCD // Windows XP Pro (SP2)

Phoenix: Gigabyte 7-VAX-A // Athlon XP 2400+ // Gigabyte Radeon 9700 Pro
512 MB DDR 2700 RAM // IBM 180 GXP 123.5Gb 8MB Cache // Creative Labs 5.1 Digital Live Player
Yellow Chieftech Scorpio Case 340 W PSU // 4 x 8cm Case Fans // AOC LM-919 19" LCD // Windows XP Pro (SP2)

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 11:41 AM   #16
Zoolander1
Serenity Now!

Zoolander1 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Here fishy fishy. Troll
Zoolander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 01:56 AM   #17
rwolf
X1900XTX

rwolf is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

ATI's drivers would be perfect too if they kept releasing the same card over and over again.

Look at the Geforce FX, first really new architecture since the Geforce 256, crappy performance, graphic glitches, missing fog, and this was for software coded for using nvidia's "golden" drivers. Reviewers only had 48 hours to try the cards so only a few actually discovered the problems with real games.

I used the hints off rage3d to fix my problems with my ASUS motherboard and ASUS Geforce 3 video card.

The reason nvidia has 40+ driver releases is because they give you performance in one release and take it back in other. I have had problems with studdering in Dungeon Siege and other games that quit working so I can tell you that nvidia drivers are perfect.

The release of the 9700 has shown that there is a problem in the industry with crappy motherboards, chipsets, oem powersupplies, poorly ventilated cases. You can't blame this on ATI or drivers.

Most nvidia fanboys quickly forget the problems going to agp 4x or the flood of bad 4200 cards that have hit the market.

I had to turn off my usb ports, serial, and parallel ports before my nvidia board was stable. Figure that out!

Last edited by rwolf : Feb 11, 2003 at 02:03 AM.
rwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 03:44 AM   #18
blazeya5

blazeya5 is still being judged by the masses

Default 9700 problems

Hi;
I have a problem with my card:
I have:

Sapphire 9700
amd2400+
AV78x
audigy platinum 2

(just purchased) running win2000.

I bought a copy of medal of honour slammed it in and.. after 2 seconds. the game freezes/black screens.
I tried Unreal Tournament (the old version) ... same thing.

I finally got MDOH to work by turning off agp textures in directX but the whole point of putting myself in debt was to have awesome performance. (unreal still doesnt work)

On your site it says that a7v8x has problems.

my questions are:
a) How do I TOTALLY un install the drivers
b) When you talk about bios, you mean motherboard right? you can't really fiddle with the graphics card bios ? :-0

thanks for any pointers.
aubs
blazeya5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 04:26 PM   #19
azukre
Radeon HD 6850

Quote:
Originally posted by rwolf
ATI's drivers would be perfect too if they kept releasing the same card over and over again.

Look at the Geforce FX, first really new architecture since the Geforce 256, crappy performance, graphic glitches, missing fog, and this was for software coded for using nvidia's "golden" drivers. Reviewers only had 48 hours to try the cards so only a few actually discovered the problems with real games.

I used the hints off rage3d to fix my problems with my ASUS motherboard and ASUS Geforce 3 video card.

The reason nvidia has 40+ driver releases is because they give you performance in one release and take it back in other. I have had problems with studdering in Dungeon Siege and other games that quit working so I can tell you that nvidia drivers are perfect.

The release of the 9700 has shown that there is a problem in the industry with crappy motherboards, chipsets, oem powersupplies, poorly ventilated cases. You can't blame this on ATI or drivers.

Most nvidia fanboys quickly forget the problems going to agp 4x or the flood of bad 4200 cards that have hit the market.

I had to turn off my usb ports, serial, and parallel ports before my nvidia board was stable. Figure that out!

Now you talking about how bad GFX is when it's not yet in the market.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 09:32 PM   #20
Zoolander1
Serenity Now!

Quote:

Yes,I think you made it quite clear who the 'Damnit' is.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 01:19 AM   #21
TrippleG

TrippleG is still being judged by the masses

So much for removing the shim... my radeon is DEAD

NOT HAPPY JAN
TrippleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 02:40 AM   #22
rwolf
X1900XTX

rwolf is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Now you talking about how bad GFX is when it's not yet in the market.
Good point, but if the card and drivers were fantastic don't you think every nvidia fan site would have one to benchmark and review?
rwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 07:09 AM   #23
TrippleG

TrippleG is still being judged by the masses

Sheesh give the GF-FX a few months.

For a while after the GF1 was released, it barely performed better than a TnT2, however after many driver updates, it outperformed it easily. Ill be picking one up when theyre released, to replace my deceased r300 card.

Currently running a GF2mx, and Im absolutely loving the stability, and for most apps, the speed is better than what the r300 was giving me. ATIs tech support couldnt even help out, they gave up after suggesting prolly a hundred different things, none of which made any difference at all.
TrippleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 07:10 PM   #24
azukre
Radeon HD 6850

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoolander1
Yes,I think you made it quite clear who the 'Damnit' is.
YOU!.

Now that 3.1 catalyst, it's definately much better than the buggy 3.0.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 10:43 AM   #25
Zoolander1
Serenity Now!

Azukre,
What are you.. 10.. 12. Grow up.
Someone comes on this board and posts a legitimate helpful guide and you come spouting off pure drivel with no help for anyone. If you feel you wasted your mother's money on a card that doesn't work for you, then start another thread in another section and go cry about it there.
Oh, and btw, learn to type in English - you really do come across like a trolling child. Other than in a pre-school class, not one of your posts is comprehendible... Damnit.

Last edited by Zoolander1 : Feb 13, 2003 at 10:46 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 02:14 PM   #26
wolveryne9
Radeon HD 6670

wolveryne9 is still being judged by the masses

Default uhm???

i thought this was a tech support thread???
wolveryne9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 10:15 PM   #27
deleterious
Radeon HD 6770

deleterious is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation agp voltage ?

i have a 9700pro and an asus p4t533 mb

where in the bios do i go to change the agp voltage?

is it cpu VCore ? i changed that to 1.700 and when i booted my pc.. it said "error, incorrect voltage" so i dont think that would be my agp voltage.

does anyone know where I can increase my agp voltage on an asus p4t533? please help. Thanks.
deleterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:22 AM   #28
Zoolander1
Serenity Now!

Default Re: agp voltage ?

Quote:
Originally posted by deleterious
i have a 9700pro and an asus p4t533 mb

where in the bios do i go to change the agp voltage?

is it cpu VCore ?

No, it is not the CPU Vcore. There should be a section in your Bios to change the AGP voltage up from 1.5 (usual default).
I have a P4PE and it can be changed to 1.6 or 1.7. I don't remember off hand exactly what section of the Bios to look in but check every section. Good luck.
Old Feb 15, 2003, 03:36 PM   #29
Boot

Boot is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Card Crash? Stutter? bad performance? The first look thread

Quote:
Originally posted by DonRayden
stutter problems:
- try to disable all icons in the tray (right bottom corner in default...where the clock is )
yeah, that helps... but its not the solution...
the solution is:
Quote:

- you can set the hardware acceleration in windows down a notch (fix stutter in 95 %)
wow, thanks man... i already thought to build myself a secondary computer for irc/web/everything else because this bad stuttering when there is some 2D activity in windows but this fixed it!!! THANK YOU
Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 08:40 PM   #30
MoopMeep
Radeon HD 6670

MoopMeep is still being judged by the masses

This line doesn't seem right.

try changing "system" in the device manager from acpi-uni (default win xp, means a motherboard with 2 or more cpu) to acpi (one board with one cpu)..some people have success, some not (me inclusive )

acpi-uni is the default for win xp and it is for systems with a single cpu. Acpi-multiprocessors is the HAL for systems with multiple CPUs.
MoopMeep is offline   Reply With Quote