Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Nov 17, 2002, 01:17 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
chad_e
Radeon R100

chad_e is still being judged by the masses

Default Time to RMA?

Does anyone have any last suggestions before I ***** at ATI on the phone? Ive just about had it with this 9700.

OK, got a new motherboard, and voltages and temps are nice and stable-

MB- 34c
CPU 41c
Vcore 1.73-1.74
3.3 3.25- 3.3
5 5- 5.05
12 12.04- 12.10

Just reinstalled windoze98se, 4in1's, Completly removed old drivers, installed newest radeon driver 9069, latest BIOS for the KT3 ultra2 5.6? , reinstalled DX 8.1. Tried different 4in1's but the end result was the same- STABLE in windows, but unstable in most games, and for a $300 vid card (retail version), anything less than smooth and stable is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE..

UT2003- played about 5 min, but "jittery" or maybe called "stuttering", but then disabled VSYNC, played about 2 seconds, SMOOTH, but locked up completly.

3DMark2001- crashes in same place every time (first car chase, low detail).

OpenGL screensavers work sometimes, but dont hide the mouse, and/or corrupt the screen/ background windows/ taskbar/ or just plain corrupt the display completly and crash the computer, although the mouse pointer still moves normally.

Q3 works ok. Getting about 95 FPS in game, and about 195 in the demos.
plays about as smooth as my old radeon8500..

Unreal Tournament crashes right after launching a single player practice session with a black DOS looking screen full of periods and a flashing DOS cursor about halfway down and across the screen..WTF??

Windows desktop performance is perfect. no crashes. Run SETI 24/7

All this happens wheather or not I OC/underclock , and regardless of any BIOS settings, 4in1's, drivers, or driver settings,

CPU, Memory, HD Benchmarks are fine. no prob there.

Any particular game you would like me to try crashing (playing) to give anymre data?
I have quite a few FPS games...

Hints- known working configurations-any workarounds please ?

Is it time to RMA, or is there a something im missing?.

Chad_E
Radeon 9700 pro
(1) 512 Corsair XMS 2700 180 FSB
Athlon XP 1700+ @1800 mHz
Maxtor 80 G
Win98se
Old Nov 17, 2002, 03:14 AM   #2
foment
Radeon R100

foment is still being judged by the masses

I am a big fan of RMA because it solved all my problems...i actually bought new mobo and psu but none of that solved my problems until i rma.

You might, very weak suggestiong here, want to move up to a more stable os. WINXP isnt that bad as long as you are willing to shell out the bux for it.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 03:32 AM   #3
Kowan
Older than dirt

Kowan is still being judged by the masses

Have you tried upping the AGP voltage a small amount in BIOS?
WinXP OEM can be bought with a hard drive purchase.
Use it as an excuse to grab another decent priced drive.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 17, 2002, 05:11 AM   #4
ErrorS
gfdsa

ErrorS is still being judged by the masses

id RMA if i were you... let ati figure out what's wrong with the card

www.eve-online.com
Old Nov 17, 2002, 07:10 AM   #5
matty baby
Vapor matt

matty baby is still being judged by the masses

Hi before you RMA the card i had simular problems with an msi KT4 Ultra, tried 2 diffrent 9700pro cards and changed psu, ram from a friends machine that works fine, in the end it was the motherboard and it seems quite a problem with msi, since switching to an asus board i have had not one glitch or blue screen and i can run 180fsb, try this before you return the 9700, set your fsb to 120 and try that, i have a feeling it could be the board or bios you are useing, but 4 days of trying with a kt4 and no luck i switched MB

matt
2 Gig 8000UL DDR2 4.3.3.4
P & PC cooling 510 Sli
X1900 XTX DD X18 GPU block modded
W/d raptors Raid O Seagate 250g slavedrive, 16X sony DVD CDR, 16X NEC dual DVDR. windows Xp sp2 slipstreamed....
Old Nov 17, 2002, 08:43 AM   #6
JethroBodine
Banned

JethroBodine is still being judged by the masses

" You might, very weak suggestiong here, want to move up to a more stable os. WINXP isnt that bad as long as you are willing to shell out the bux for it."

I have ME at home, XP and 2000Pro on my boxes at work. Of the three I like XP the least, by far I actually bought ME this year to avoid the XP trap as long as I can.
I work in IS, and can run any version of Windows, but am not a fan of XP so far. (especially the re-activation/privacy issues)

(and no, I don't have anything to hide, I buy my software)
Old Nov 17, 2002, 09:15 AM   #7
lagadu
now with .2% more content

Location: Portugal, somewhere between the keyboard and chair (sometimes between the cat and the chair)
lagadu is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by JethroBodine
" You might, very weak suggestiong here, want to move up to a more stable os. WINXP isnt that bad as long as you are willing to shell out the bux for it."

I have ME at home, XP and 2000Pro on my boxes at work. Of the three I like XP the least, by far I actually bought ME this year to avoid the XP trap as long as I can.
I work in IS, and can run any version of Windows, but am not a fan of XP so far. (especially the re-activation/privacy issues)

(and no, I don't have anything to hide, I buy my software)
have u tried w2k ? it's by far the most stable MS OS avaliable and runs everything perfectly. (for me at least it does)
Old Nov 17, 2002, 09:34 AM   #8
chad_e
Radeon R100

chad_e is still being judged by the masses

Thanks for the replys guys,

I have had the agp at 1.8 v. and tried even 100 mhz FSB, tried setup defaults, and set the mem timings at the slowest. Turned all AGP settings off/least aggressive, reset "smartgart" Still acts the same.

Monday after work Im calling ATI tech support..

I have win 2000 pro, but im not a big fan of it because of the long boot time, complicated networking, multiuser interface, and lower game performance. 98se is nice and simple, fast, and I know how to tweak it for max performance. However, If I must, I would install win2k pro..

Say, will a pre-catylyst driver work with the 9700? Havent tried that...

Chad_E
Radeon 9700 pro
(1) 512 Corsair XMS 2700 180 FSB
Athlon XP 1700+ @1800 mHz
Maxtor 80 G
Win98se

Last edited by chad_e : Nov 17, 2002 at 09:49 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 12:29 PM   #9
JethroBodine
Banned

JethroBodine is still being judged by the masses

"have u tried w2k ?"
Yep, I said I have 2000 on one of my work boxes. I haven't tried it for gaming, but like it for work better than XP so far.

I don't buy the whole "NT/2000/XP is so much more stable" bit anyway. I use a lot of different programs, in all all MS OSs anyway, and don't have my ME machine crashing everytime I turn on the computer.