Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

"

Old Jul 30, 2002, 05:31 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
JetLab

Default NVDA CEO says NV30 not taped out yet

http://biz.yahoo.com/cc/8/20568.html

He says the NV30 has not finished taping out and it won't be available until the "holiday season"

Nvidia also warned they will miss revenues by $150m and will breakeven this quarter.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 05:34 PM   #2
Doomtrooper
Rage3D Veteran

Doomtrooper is still being judged by the masses

Now where is Typedefenum when you need him
Doomtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 05:35 PM   #3
Hellbinder
Nothing but the Truth

Hellbinder is still being judged by the masses

errmm..

WOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!

I only say this becuase of all the *crap* that the Nvidian's and their PR machine has been throwing out... This is EXACTLY what i have been saying based on industry Finance type insider reports. If you want to know the truth.. Talk to the guys that control the cash

I am not Happy that Nvidia is missing their profits by that much. As much as I dislike them, there are still a lot of good people with retirement etc locked into the stock.
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 30, 2002, 05:48 PM   #4
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNagorak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I wonder if they really were that far behind, or if they saw the R300 and were like "****! Back to the drawing board!"

Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 05:54 PM   #5
Peter S
Radeon HD 6850

Peter S is still being judged by the masses

Default By Christmas if they're lucky...

I simply cannot believe this news. I thought the NV30 was far closer to production than this! How long does it usually take to go from tape-out to a final production board? Could this late tape-out have anything to do with the .13u problems they're having with TSMC or is this the result of last minute changes to counter the confirmed specs of the R300?

I really feel sorry for Nvidia's engineers and driver programmers; they're going to be burning the midnight oil from now until those NV30 chips are shipped out the door to manufacturers.

This is fantastic news for ATI.
Rig #1 - Athlon XP 2400 (12x166Mhz) / ECS L7S7A2 / 1gig PC2700 DDR (333Mhz) / Radeon 9800 Pro / Turtle Beach Santa Cruz / Maxtor Diamond Max 9+ 120gig (2meg) / Lite-On XJ-HD166S DVD / WinXP Pro - SP1
Rig #2 - Athlon 1Ghz / MSI K7T266 Pro / 512megs PC2100 RAM / ATI Radeon 64 VIVO / WD 600BB 60gig HD / TDK 40/12/48 CDR/W (rebadged Lite-On) / LiteOn LTD-163 (DVD) / WinXP Pro - SP1
Peter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 05:56 PM   #6
brogs
Radeon HD 6870

brogs is still being judged by the masses

Wink

i think that die shrink .013 is really starting to hurt em now
brogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 06:03 PM   #7
Hellbinder
Nothing but the Truth

Quote:
I simply cannot believe this news. I thought the NV30 was far closer to production than this! How long does it usually take to go from tape-out to a final production board? Could this late tape-out have anything to do with the .13u problems they're having with TSMC or is this the result of last minute changes to counter the confirmed specs of the R300?
8-12 weeks if the sun, moon, and stars align. That is also only giving the driver teams a realatively *short* time to work with the actual hardware.

It usually always takes at least 2 revisions to get to a production quality sample. And that is not even addressing the level of quality yields... Yields that will be *critical* For Nvidia to get a clock speed out of the Nv30 they will need to bead the R300. Especially considering the 3 month of driver maturity time ATi will have..

If It tapes out say early August.. and everything goes *perfect* after that.. you are looking the First week of november for the first real production quality samples.. Seriously.. they are looking at december at the *EARLIEST* to actually launch at this point.

This is not Fanboy talk.. this is how the real world works. This is EXACTLY what industry insiders... and Myself... Have been saying on this board for a few weeks now.. nothing till november.. And even then only a small sampling..

Ati is not looking so stupid for going with their design now.. are they...

Last edited by Hellbinder : Jul 30, 2002 at 08:07 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 06:18 PM   #8
Someotherdude
Rage3D Veteran

Someotherdude is still being judged by the masses

NV30 screenshots, hehe...
Someotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 06:22 PM   #9
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNagorak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Last edited by Nagorak : Jul 30, 2002 at 09:12 PM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 06:24 PM   #10
ChrisW
Rage3D Veteran

ChrisW is still being judged by the masses

If this is true then I would think they scrapped the NV30 design and replaced it with the NV35. I read a webpage that said nVidia is dumping TSMC for another company. It's all still rumors to me...
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 06:27 PM   #11
BlackBirdSR
Radeon HD 6970

BlackBirdSR is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Someotherdude
NV30 screenshots, hehe...
don't be a troll...

we may not have any samples of our NV30 yet, but projections and our highly capable marketing told us here at the engineers buidling that the chips would be capable to render those in super-real-time, with ueber photo realistic quality.
well that is if we had one.. but we're pretty confident here that we'll soon have one, at least that's what us engineers is being told by the management.

so, you can take those screenshots for real, they's basicly rendered on an NV30, it's just not done yet..
but we're told it's gonna happen as soon as we have the first chip, which can only be a matter of hours now says our finance chief.

Special thanks to all Catalyst Beta Testers as well.
BlackBirdSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 06:44 PM   #12
jima13
Retired

jima13 is still being judged by the masses

Unhappy after hours trading

NVDA closed the regular session @ $16.22, trading was halted on the news and when it reopened was hammered down into the $12+ range.....oops
jima13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 06:52 PM   #13
Himself
Resident

Himself is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Nagorak
It's already July 30th...what do you consider 'early' July?
He meant next year. heheh
Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 06:55 PM   #14
DavyBoyWonder
Rage3D Veteran

DavyBoyWonder is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: after hours trading

Quote:
Originally posted by jima13
NVDA closed the regular session @ $16.22, trading was halted on the news and when it reopened was hammered down into the $12+ range.....oops
ATI was trading lower after the bell to, but that can be chalked up to people thinking the graphics chip sector was bad and not just Nvidia.

Tomorrow I hope people seperate the two, and shoot ATI to the moon.

This is a day fanATIcs will remember.

I'm never going to find a nice clean girl with stuff like this going on.
DavyBoyWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 07:12 PM   #15
jjjayb
Rage3D Veteran

jjjayb is still being judged by the masses

Anyone else able to listen to the audio? I keep getting a lady saying "stream not available."
jjjayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 07:15 PM   #16
Sir Galahad
Radeon HD 6770

Sir Galahad is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Re: after hours trading

Quote:
Originally posted by DavyBoyWonder

ATI was trading lower after the bell to, but that can be chalked up to people thinking the graphics chip sector was bad and not just Nvidia.

Tomorrow I hope people seperate the two, and shoot ATI to the moon.

This is a day fanATIcs will remember.
ATIs saving grace is that they have already provided conservative guidance where nvidia on the other hand... had to change their guidance lower..... I knew this was comming. hehe. Now ATI has smooth sailing for top end demand and as a result their low end will enjoy some good OEM design wins.. Cheers. The sell off on ATI is only temperary as ATI already provided lower numbers last quarter, soon the market will realize that ATI is number one graphics technology leader and ATI will benifit greatly..BUY ATI stocks on this dip, great opprotunity really.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 07:20 PM   #17
Galvatron
Old School Decepticon

Galvatron is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Doomtrooper
Now where is Typedefenum when you need him

LOL...him and Cain Syris are probably still in shock.
Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 07:25 PM   #18
CainSyris
Radeon HD 6970

CainSyris is still being judged by the masses

I'd be very surprised to see a graphics card company, like ATI, see a stock improvement based on a 400 dollar card that is outside of the reach of most consumers and thus will have no effect on the market in any appreciable way, a company with only their first time being in the top performance echelon, and a video card company that has not actually shipped any R9700's to reviewers, let alone to anybody else.

Don't forget that right now nV still has the top performing card and, if Best Buy is to be believed, it will be September before that changes. I honestly cannot see why ATI users continue to dance around the fire that is nV not having their DX 9 card out now, but forget that indeed ATI is still a ways away from releasing their own.

I think, if I were you, I'd wait until R9700 is launched before I would even BEGIN to speculate on stocks rising. And, more than that, all stocks are down, not just nV's. Don't exaggerate announcements as meaning more than they do.

So in summary:

1) nV's nv30 will be late in coming. No doubt.
2) high-end video cards do not a great stock make.
3) high-end cards affect a very small percentage of the people buying video cards
4) sales of the low and mid-end make up more of the market and right now, ATI is looking piss-poor there.
5) ATI's super-card is not even out yet and all indications suggest it is still some time away. ATI says less than 30 days, but reviewers should be getting their cards, if their two weeks they said, were true.

And, of course, technically, holiday season is anywhere from November to December. Not that they can pull it out of their butt instantly. Still, nV's pulled rabbits out of their hats before and it is too soon for any self-respecting ATI fanatic to shoot up fireworks. So many talk about PR, but its ATI who's putting out the mega-PR atm and not even giving cards out to reviewers. Tsk, tsk.

Let's wait until September before we laugh about how high-end video cards do not affect the stock market, eh?
IntelCore2Quad | Intel Bad Axe 2 975X | 4x2048meg54412PatriotDDR2 | Adata4gigReadyboost | eVGA7900GTX512 | WDRaptor150gigBoot/SystemDrive + WDRaptor150gigData/Game/ProgramDrive | Seagate750DATA | Plextor16xDVD+/-RWSlotDrive | 360HDDVDaddon | AuzentechXplosionDTS7.1 | LianLiG70 (100% Noctuafancooled) | PCPower&Cooling1kwPSU | RazerBarracudaHeadphones| WindowsVista64 | Denon4306(CoaxialToSoundCardviaDTS) | AscendAcoustics340SE'sFront&Centerw/170SE'sSurround | ToshibaHD-XA2HD-DVDplayer | Dualmonitor=Dell3007 30" LCD&PanasonicAE1000UProjector| EmbarqDSL |
CainSyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 07:42 PM   #19
JetLab

Having the best high-end part is important because it means ATI is a cycle ahead of the competition and can bring it down to mainstream much quicker. Best Buy says Sept. for 9700 but it gives the same date for the 9000 so its inaccurate.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 07:43 PM   #20
Orbius
Radeon HD 6770

Orbius is still being judged by the masses

Talked to a guy from Ati and he said it takes 6 months after the first tapeout until you get it on the shelves if everything goes relatively smoothly.

Of course Ati is always kind of tardy, maybe 6 months to Ati means 3 months to Nvidia.

Though Nvidia dumping TMSC like a hot rock means they're throwing a hissy fit over their Nv30 production.

My bet is they'll say the Nv30 is released in late November and give a few samples to hardware sites a la Ati 9700 and maybe a few will be available before the end of the year with mass production ramping up by late January, Feburary.
Orbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 07:49 PM   #21
woolfee
Radeon HD 6950

woolfee is still being judged by the masses

"I'd be very surprised to see a graphics card company, like ATI, see a stock improvement based on a 400 dollar card that is outside of the reach of most consumers and thus will have no effect on the market in any appreciable way,

3) high-end cards affect a very small percentage of the people buying video cards"

Apparently, you fail to understand the importance of a flagship product, particularly in this industry. The flagship video card determines the mindshare of the company; it creates a perception as to who is the market leader and who isn't. That perception *directly* affects stock prices. When financial news is released regarding a company, why do you think they discuss how far along a flagship product is? Because the investors want to know. And why do these companies compete so vehemently for the high-end performance crown? Because they think its fun to be on top? No, it's for the same reason that any company does anything - because it carries huge financial rewards. The company perceived as "on top" performance-wise has an advantage in obtaining OEM contracts and in selling value add-on parts. For every person buying a GF4 ti4600, there are 5 buying a GF4mx because they think everything with Nvidia's name on it turns to gold. And every flagship parts completes its life cycle in some form as a value or integrated solution down the line. The success of the product identity as a flagship bears dividends when the part (or a version thereof) is marketed in higher volume, lower margin channels. People who state that high-end cards are too much of a niche product to make a financial difference for these companies continually misunderstand this issue.

Not much more to say, except that you can bet that Nvidia is highly concerned about the delay of this product relative to what ATI is doing right now. It won't make or break them as a company, but it IS a highly significant concern.
256mb Corsair PC2100 DDR
Soundblaster Audigy
IBM Deskstar 60 GXP (40 gig)
Liteon 16xDVD
Antec Midtower (2 case fans)
Hitachi 751 Superscan Elite 19" Monitor
this sig was automatically shortened to meet the 10-lines max rule
woolfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 08:05 PM   #22
Hellbinder
Nothing but the Truth

Heh.. i ment august... I keep doing that... even at work..
Old Jul 30, 2002, 08:09 PM   #23
jjjayb
Rage3D Veteran

jjjayb is still being judged by the masses

The audio stream is working now. The part where he says it's not taped out yet is at around the 8minute 10 seconds mark. In his answer he says one of the areas Nvidia has been very good at is going quickly from tape out to production. Anyone have any figures from their previous cards? Time it took to go from tape out to production on the gforce, gforce2, gforce3, gforce4?

Last edited by jjjayb : Jul 30, 2002 at 08:25 PM.
jjjayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 08:20 PM   #24
John Reynolds
Radeon HD 6850

John Reynolds is still being judged by the masses

Not good. I was hoping for a Oct/Nov release date for NV30 to give more choice and to help push down 9700 prices if the latter is the better part (for me).
John Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 08:20 PM   #25
Hellbinder
Nothing but the Truth

Quote:
1) nV's nv30 will be late in coming. No doubt.
3) high-end cards affect a very small percentage of the people buying video cards
4) sales of the low and mid-end make up more of the market and right now, ATI is looking piss-poor there.
5) ATI's super-card is not even out yet and all indications suggest it is still some time away. ATI says less than 30 days, but reviewers should be getting their cards, if their two weeks they said, were true.
Does this guy even LIVE on planet earth??? im mean.. REALLY! This is *the* defenition of a blind one eyed fanboy right here folks.. no doubt about it...

High End Video cards are the *ENTIRE* basis for Stock trading.. Are you for real?? You clearly had better *never* get into online trading.. you will lose your ass. Its about industry leadership and delivering industry leading products.. on time... Nothing else matters. period.

You comment about low and mid is simply false.. ATi is clearly leading the market with Radeon LE.. There is no question. Nvidia was not even in the game till the Ti 4200 launched.

Quote:
This statemnet is just plain Assinine. The card is already in final form. It exsists. People have held it in their hands.. What the hell does *some time away* mean exacly??? Are you trying to push the idea that a mid september launch is the same thing as Nvidias *december if we are lucky* launch?? MY GOD.... you need therapy.

Ati is going to start offering cards in august. 3rd parties in September. Everyone has seen what the card can do even in beta form.... Everyone knows that the 9700 is litterally a coupple weeks from showtime..

How can people even write this crapola? It only makes you look like a fool.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 08:33 PM   #26
GrrrPoop
Radeon HD 6950

GrrrPoop is still being judged by the masses

I was hoping that nV30 would be out by xmas too, I don't fancy coughing up Ł300 for an R9700.. in fact I'm damn sure I won't!

So.. I guess this news is good for ATI, but bad for the consumer.

Still kind of enjoying it tho, seeing the nVidiots in denial. Can everyone spell that? D - E - N - I - A - L Just checking

Have to say that for those without particular affiliation to either company, nV releasing their working samples for review around late Nov / early Dec will give them doubts. The reviews will appear right when people are making their Xmas lists, I don't think many people will disagree with that..

I'm sure nV30 will at least be the equal of R9700, but it all comes down to price and whether or not you can actually buy the damn things!

nVidia are by no means screwed, but I still think they screwed up.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 08:43 PM   #27
LordPain
Banned

LordPain is still being judged by the masses

Talking

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Had to catch my breath. This is as funny as it gets.
LordPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 08:57 PM   #28
sherlock
Radeon HD 6950

sherlock is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
errmm..
WOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!
I only say this becuase of all the *crap* that the Nvidian's and their PR machine has been throwing out... This is EXACTLY what i have been saying based on industry Finance type insider reports. If you want to know the truth.. Talk to the guys that control the cash
I am not Happy that Nvidia is missing their profits by that much. As much as I dislike them, there are still a lot of good people with retirement etc locked into the stock.
Hellbinder must be a truly considerate person to let his consideration for others get in the way of his reveling in Nvidia's loss. Admirable.
Poor Nvidia, Imagine how hard it must of been for them to accept that they couldn't just add another shader or some new ram to the old GF3 and cry "One more go for old time sake!". I could just see their minions chanting "one more go...one more go"

It's really for their own good they've got serious competion, they were getting a bit thick around the middle. It's better for the whole industry.
/Radeon9700/ creative Audigy
-16xdvd/HP 24x20x40x cdrw
-Sherlock custom mid-tower baybus hurricane case w/blowhole
-Z4(orig.)waterblock/ 380gphpump/ custom plexyglass resevoir/ Aquacoil radiator(L.pres.drp)/1/2"fittings/
-Purple Ice/Rounded IDE cables- All fit VERY nicely in a mid-tower case with great air flow
Best 3Dmark2k1 Score- http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6697131
sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 09:19 PM   #29
Moose
Rage3D Veteran

Moose is still being judged by the masses

well this sucks.. because I'm waiting for both the R300 and the Nv30 so I can "choose wisely".

Now I have to wait longer.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 09:36 PM   #30
JetLab

Ouch it looks like Nvidia investors are pretty angry right now

http://messages.yahoo.com/?action=q&board=NVDA