Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Mar 5, 2002, 05:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Candyman
Ex-Master Leaker

Candyman is still being judged by the masses

Default Guide to Uninstall ATI Drivers Completely!

Alright...here is my way of deleting and installing ATI drivers running Windows XP (Win200 should be the same too).

1. Go into the Control Panel and under the ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE icon uninstall the ATI MultiMedia software and/or the ATI DVD software.

2. Uninstall the ATI drivers also found in the Add/Remove section. Once removed, it will prompt you to reboot....do so.

3. When returning to windows, the NEW HARDWARE FOUND wizard will come up and will tell you that it has found a new VGA card and will prompt you for drivers. Hit CANCEL!

4. Now, go to START - SEARCH - FOR FILES OR FOLDERS and do a search for all files and folders using the filename ati*.*
This search will normally give you 3 to 4 files found in your c:/windows directory and subdirectories (including the Windows/System directory). Select these files and erase them. Now go to your Recycle Bin and Empty your bin.

5. Next...time to go to your Registry. Go to START -- RUN -- regedit

Here go to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SYSTEM -- ControlSet001 -- Control -- Video . Here there should be 4 entries. 3 of them are default Windows XP entries and the 4th one is put in by the ATI drivers. Expand each one by one until you see ATI entries. Once found, erase the entire key.

Now repeat the same step above for the ControlSet002 key and the CurrentControlSet Key. Normally, whenever you erase a key in the ControlSet001, XP automatically deletes it in the CurrentControlSet section too. So if the ATI key is not found in the CurrentControlSet section, don't worry about it.
Once all keys are deleted, proceed to the next step.

6. While still in the registry, go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SOFTWARE section. Here you should find an ATI Technologies key. Select it and delete it. In that same section, look for an Installed Options key. Expand it and there you should find another ATI Technologies key. Select it and erase it.

7. Still in the registry, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -- Software and there you should find another ATI technologies key. Select it and erase it. Once all this is done, close the registry. the registry is now clean.

8. Close all windows and reboot.

9. When in windows after the reboot the NEW HARDWARE FOUND WIZARD will pop up again. Cancel that. Now find the new ATI drivers that you have downloaded and extracted and run the SETUP file. Once complete, reboot and you are done. You may want to reinstall your ATI MMC software and DVD software if you use them. DONE!

For all those who do not like going into the registry and rather have an easy to use program to do it for you, you can grab a nifty tool called "RegCleaner" here and it will do it for you without getting your hands dirty in the registry. Follow steps 1 through 4 as stated above, then run RegCleaner to do the rest. Once completed, follow steps 8 and 9 and you are DONE!

If there are errors in this guide or there are things to add or change let me know and I will alter the guide.

Hope this guide helps everyone!
2x512MB GeIL PC3500 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
Win XP Pro SP1

Last edited by Candyman : Apr 10, 2002 at 04:37 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2002, 05:27 PM   #2
Candyman
Ex-Master Leaker

For all you 9x/ME users, follow this guide to completely uninstall the drivers. This guide was written and prepared by Genius and it should work for most Radeon users.

1). Uninstall your current ATI display driver. Do this by going into your control panel and running add/remove programs. ATI Display Driver should be one of the first few on your list. Choose yes when it asks if you would like to uninstall. Choose no when it asks to reboot.

2). Remove all leftover .inf files. Windows will use these to reinstall drivers (or at least try) without giving you an option for a clean install. To do this, you'll want to do a find all files/search, which can be accessed via the start menu. Windows ME has it labelled as search, and I believe Windows 9x has it labelled as find. In the search window, you'll want to enter ati*.inf as the target file. Don't bother making it search your whole hard disk, instead, under the look in field, type in C:\Windows\Inf, and make sure look in sub-folders is checked. Now your set, click find/search. Delete all files which it reports (make sure the location is c:\windows\inf or c:\windows\inf\other, do not delete ati*.inf files in other directories, just in case you chose to search your entire hard drive). Once you've completed the .inf flush, you're now ready to move on.

3). Reboot your computer. Windows will load with a default VGA adapter driver, which the ATI uninstall conveniently installs for you. Little do we know, ATI forgot to take out all the registry settings, ack! Here's what you need to do...

4). Run regedit. To do this, hit Start, click Run, and type regedit in the field and press Enter or hit OK. The windows registry entry will pop up. There are two sections you'll need to delete garbage from, the first one being the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE. Click the plus next to software and in the directory tree below it you will see a key labelled ATI Technologies, simply highlight this key and hit the delete key on your keyboard. Click yes to confirm removal when Windows prompts you. That will fix all previous tweaks you may have done, so you can ensure a fresh driver install at default settings. Now, on to the next key(s) you'll want to delete. WARNING! The following keys which I recommend you delete automatically assume you are using only one display adapter(video card) in your system. If you are using more than one, I will assume you are literate enough to know which keys can safely be deleted without mucking up your secondary adapter. Go to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\DISPLAY, click the plus next to DISPLAY and you will see at least one sub key, normally labelled 0000. If your registry is dirty, you will likely see multiple keys, such as 0001, 0002, 0003, and so on. If you have only one video card in your system, it is now safe to delete every sub key of DISPLAY, including 0000. To do this highlight each key respectively and hit the delete key on your keyboard, click yes when Windows asks if you wish to remove the entry. Once you have deleted all keys, it is now time to close the regedit program and move on to the next step.

5). You will now need to go into your system device manager, which can be accessed in two ways. One, by right clicking on My Computer, clicking Properties, and then Device Manager in the following window, or you can access the device manager in your system Control Panel and double clicking on the System icon, and clicking Device Manager in the following window. Under Device Manager click the plus symbol next to Display Adapters, you will now see the Standard PCI adapter listed below. Highlight it and hit the delete key on your keyboard and click yes to confirm when Windows prompts you. It will then ask you to reboot your computer to finish removing the device, click no. Next step.

6). Extract/Unzip/Decompress your Radeon drivers of choice to a location which you will remember (I use C:\Windows\Desktop\Radeon). Once you have extracted the drivers, you can now reboot your computer to manually install them. I do NOT recommend using the ATI setup program to install drivers. When you reboot your computer, Windows will detect new hardware and ask if you wish for it to search for drivers. I always tell Windows where to search, and do not recommend you let Windows search automatically. Since Windows 9x and Windows ME vary slightly in this driver install process, I will assume you are familiar with basic driver installation and can handle pointing Windows to the directory which you extracted the drivers (i.e. C:\Windows\Desktop\Radeon for 7041 whql or C:\Windows\Desktop\Radeon\ATIDrive for all other driver packages). From here you may proceed to let Windows search the specified directories for the .inf file containing the driver install information, and the rest should be fairly self explanatory.

Happy Gaming!!!
2x512MB GeIL PC3500 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
Win XP Pro SP1

Last edited by Candyman : Mar 5, 2002 at 06:21 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2002, 06:00 PM   #3
Genius
Banned

Genius is still being judged by the masses

Candyman,

You should refine your guide with the info I posted in your other (first) thread to include removal of oemxx.inf files and such. Your guide will only work efficiently for a Radeon 8500 install. I realize that this is the 8500 section of the forums, but I think we need to include the entire Radeon series to help everyone. FYI, the Windows 9x/ME guide is mine, but I don't really need any credit for it, unless people decide to start selling it
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 5, 2002, 06:24 PM   #4
Candyman
Ex-Master Leaker

Quote:
Originally posted by Genius
You should refine your guide with the info I posted in your other (first) thread to include removal of oemxx.inf files and such. Your guide will only work efficiently for a Radeon 8500 install. I realize that this is the 8500 section of the forums, but I think we need to include the entire Radeon series to help everyone.
DOH! I erased the old post. Can you post that message again so I can alter the guide.

Thanks Genius!!
2x512MB GeIL PC3500 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
Win XP Pro SP1
Old Mar 5, 2002, 08:45 PM   #5
Gretz

Gretz is still being judged by the masses

Question

Candyman,

Thank you for your detailed instructions. I do have a problem during the uninstall procedure that is driving me nuts.

After uninstalling and reooting the computer, on booting XP again, I do not see the NEW HARDWARE FOUND wizard, but instead I see on my trayicon what I remember as the "new hardward detected" icon, which proceed to reinstall back the drivers? I tried to click on the icon to stop it, disable it and everyother which way to stop it from proceeding but it always proceed to install back the Radeon 7500 ( realize this is the 8500 forum but I presume this guide is also applicable to the 7500) as the display adapter. Is there anyway to delete that?

Thank you again for your guide.
Old Mar 5, 2002, 09:59 PM   #6
DGhost
Radeon R200

DGhost is still being judged by the masses

Hmm, as i mentioned in the other post before being told i was an idiot and didn't know what i was doing...

to prevent XP from redetecting the display adaptor, search for oem*.inf in C:\Windows\Inf that contains ATI. Look in each one (my hard drive controller, mouse and keyboard all have ATI in their INF files) to make sure its an ATI Technologies thing, and delete them. then go into the device manager and Uninstall the display adaptor and reboot. that should fix the problem of it automatically reinstalling the device drivers.

*WARNING*

If you have a TV Wonder or another ATI graphics adaptor, doing this may or may not make those operate incorrectly.

Of course, it *shouldn't* do anything but make it so that if they need to be redetected it won't. but who knows.
Old Mar 5, 2002, 11:57 PM   #7
Genius
Banned

Genius is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Candyman

DOH! I erased the old post. Can you post that message again so I can alter the guide.

Thanks Genius!!
Yup here ya go http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...=clean+install
Old Mar 8, 2002, 06:14 AM   #8
BennyBoy
Radeon R520

BennyBoy is still being judged by the masses

Nice guide

Always want to known how to do it the righg way.
Old Mar 9, 2002, 06:43 AM   #9
Spankmaster C
Sweden

Spankmaster C is still being judged by the masses

DHGhost, when should you delete those .inf files?
before you uninstall the drivers, after you do it, before your first reboot, after your first reboot?
Club3D Radeon 8500
Creative Soundblaster Live! Platinum
Cambridge Soundworks DTT2200 5.1 Speakers
Windows XP Professional SP1
Old Mar 9, 2002, 09:52 AM   #10
The_Guardian
Radeon R420

The_Guardian is still being judged by the masses

A question about using the guide for W2k:

I don't have the next key's in the registry (no Video in control):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SYSTEM -- ControlSet001 -- Control -- Video

If I go to '....ControlSet001 -- Control -- Services' I do find some ATI entries: ATI2mpab, ATI2mtaa, ATI2mtag, Atirage3. All have 'device0' key in this entry.
Do I need to delete these keys instead of in the video key as written in the guide?

Thanx!
Old Mar 9, 2002, 11:05 AM   #11
mymind
Radeon R100

mymind is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Guide to Uninstall ATI Drivers Completely!

Quote:
Alright...here is my way of deleting and installing ATI drivers running Windows XP (Win200 should be the same too).
It should be mentioned that tweakers that modify the refresh rates should be disabled or uninstalled to prevent conflicts.
Quote:

1. Go into the Control Panel and under the ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE icon uninstall the ATI MultiMedia software and/or the ATI DVD software.
.. and ATI Hydravision, if installed.
Quote:

2. Uninstall the ATI drivers also found in the Add/Remove section. Once removed, it will prompt you to reboot....do so.

3. When returning to windows, the NEW HARDWARE FOUND wizard will come up and will tell you that it has found a new VGA card and will prompt you for drivers. Hit CANCEL!

4. Now, go to START - SEARCH - FOR FILES OR FOLDERS and do a search for all files and folders using the filename ati*.*
This search will normally give you 3 to 4 files found in your c:/windows directory and subdirectories (including the Windows/System directory). Select these files and erase them. Now go to your Recycle Bin and Empty your bin.
I think step 4 is a little bit dangerous. Do you have an idea what function these files have?
Quote:

5. Next...time to go to your Registry. Go to START -- RUN -- regedit

Here go to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SYSTEM -- ControlSet001 -- Control -- Video . Here there should be 4 entries. 3 of them are default Windows XP entries and the 4th one is put in by the ATI drivers. Expand each one by one until you see ATI entries. Once found, erase the entire key.
As far as I know there is only one key you may not delete in this section and this is the key that points to the current VGA mode you are in.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\<GUID>\Video -> Service = VgaSave
Or even more concrete you may not delete all keys that have references in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\VIDEO
But this is just for information. The way you found out is very good, because it is easy to use.
Quote:

Now repeat the same step above for the ControlSet002 key and the CurrentControlSet Key. Normally, whenever you erase a key in the ControlSet001, XP automatically deletes it in the CurrentControlSet section too. So if the ATI key is not found in the CurrentControlSet section, don't worry about it.
Once all keys are deleted, proceed to the next step.
I think it is enough to work in CurrentControlSet. If you start to change the fallbacks you may also have to care about \windows\LastGood \windows\system32\ReinstallBackups, but I think it is not necessary at all. Perhaps it is a good idea to mention that the driver rollback for the video card will not work, if you follow the guide.
Quote:

6. While still in the registry, go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SOFTWARE section. Here you should find an ATI Technologies key. Select it and delete it. In that same section, look for an Installed Options key. Expand it and there you should find another ATI Technologies key. Select it and erase it.
What do you mean with "Options key"?
Quote:

7. Still in the registry, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -- Software and there you should find another ATI technologies key. Select it and erase it. Once all this is done, close the registry. the registry is now clean.

8. Close all windows and reboot.

9. When in windows after the reboot the NEW HARDWARE FOUND WIZARD will pop up again. Cancel that. Now find the new ATI drivers that you have downloaded and extracted and run the SETUP file. Once complete, reboot and you are done. You may want to reinstall your ATI MMC software and DVD software if you use them. DONE!

Another thing the user might want to clean up, if he had not uninstalled older drivers correctly are the inf files. Search in \windows\inf for "oem*.*" files containing text "ATI Technologies". This may show you a few files like oem2.inf, oem3.inf. Delete them. You can then also delete the matching *.pnf files. In our example this would be oem2.pnf and oem3.pnf. If you do this the hardware detection will not propose to install the drivers described in these inf files.

HTH
Old Mar 9, 2002, 01:26 PM   #12
Spankmaster C
Sweden

Spankmaster C is still being judged by the masses

but still: when are you supposed to delete those .inf files?
Club3D Radeon 8500
Creative Soundblaster Live! Platinum
Cambridge Soundworks DTT2200 5.1 Speakers
Windows XP Professional SP1
Old Mar 9, 2002, 01:44 PM   #13
DGhost
Radeon R200

DGhost is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Spankmaster C
but still: when are you supposed to delete those .inf files?
Run the uninstall program first. if that doesn't uninstall the card then its nessicary to remove the .inf's and remove the card from the device manager.

if the uninstall program works correctly, you shouldn't need to do it.
Old Mar 9, 2002, 03:10 PM   #14
mymind
Radeon R100

mymind is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by DGhost

Run the uninstall program first. if that doesn't uninstall the card then its nessicary to remove the .inf's and remove the card from the device manager.

if the uninstall program works correctly, you shouldn't need to do it.
Yes, absolutely correct.
Uninstall - reboot - vga mode - inf clean.
Never delete the inf file, of the current driver or you may not be able to uninstall it.
Additionally it is a good idea to take a quick look into the file before you delete it. Normaly you will find the corresponding driver version in it.
Old Mar 10, 2002, 09:01 AM   #15
Gambino
Radeon R600

Gambino is still being judged by the masses

Do you have any objections if I copy & paste this in the Radeonator helpfile??? (you'll get the credits for it ofcourse)
AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz, Abit KT7a Motherboard, 512 mb PC133 RAM, Gigabyte Radeon 9000 Pro II, Samsung SyncMaster 900NF (19"), Creative SoundBlaster Live! 1024, 120 GB WD 7200rpm (8mb Cache), Pioneer 16x/40x DVD, PlexWriter 24/10/40a Burn-Proof, Windows XP Professional
http://www.bluecurve.tk
Old Mar 11, 2002, 02:31 PM   #16
Candyman
Ex-Master Leaker

Quote:
Originally posted by Gambino
Do you have any objections if I copy & paste this in the Radeonator helpfile??? (you'll get the credits for it ofcourse)
No problems with me Gambino....Go right ahead...it makes me feel warm and fuzzy knowing that I actually helped people enjoy their card to its full potential!!!
2x512MB GeIL PC3500 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
Win XP Pro SP1
Old Mar 13, 2002, 12:48 PM   #17
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

AAA this is the second time this guid destroyed my video in software I thought it was the drivers at first but no when you delete the ati technology lines in regedit and install new drivers they do not come back. I have installed 100000 different drivers now I the lines in the reg didnt come back!! ah now I must reinstall win xp for the second time
this sux
has anybody else tried playing diablo or diablo 2 in software after doing this??

Last edited by badboy : Mar 13, 2002 at 12:50 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2002, 02:28 PM   #18
Candyman
Ex-Master Leaker

Quote:
Originally posted by badboy
AAA this is the second time this guid destroyed my video in software I thought it was the drivers at first but no when you delete the ati technology lines in regedit and install new drivers they do not come back. I have installed 100000 different drivers now I the lines in the reg didnt come back!! ah now I must reinstall win xp for the second time
I do the above steps all the time...as a matter of fact, I just uninstalled and installed a new driver set about 30 minutes ago and all went flawlessly!

As long as you follow the steps carefully, you should be OK. Once you install an ATI driver, all the new strings will appear in the registry again.
2x512MB GeIL PC3500 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
Win XP Pro SP1
Old Mar 13, 2002, 02:36 PM   #19
AMD_Man
Radeon R200

AMD_Man is still being judged by the masses

I'm writing a program that will do the steps that you've listed through a simple 3 or 4 step Wizard. It will features a lot of extra features as well. See here!
Old Mar 13, 2002, 03:04 PM   #20
The PIT
Radeon R700

The PIT is still being judged by the masses

I've noticed that a lot other files get installed being with atxx. It looks like a lot of these get left behind as well. However I darn't go after any file beginning with the at as I might end up killing files I need.
What we do need is a proper uninstaller from ATI that removed everything it does put in.
The driver version I'm stuck with 6.13.2517. Any others won't run and conflict will anything Norton. Removing all Nortons and re-installing after the driver install just brings the conflict back. So somewhere theres one file or more screwing up.
Does anyone know what files have been altered between the driver versions?
Old Mar 13, 2002, 05:37 PM   #21
Candyman
Ex-Master Leaker

Quote:
Originally posted by AMD_Man
I'm writing a program that will do the steps that you've listed through a simple 3 or 4 step Wizard. It will features a lot of extra features as well. See here!
It looks really good....hope to see it up and running soon...

Good Luck fellow Canuck!
2x512MB GeIL PC3500 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
Win XP Pro SP1
Old Mar 13, 2002, 06:58 PM   #22
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

I do the above steps all the time...as a matter of fact, I just uninstalled and installed a new driver set about 30 minutes ago and all went flawlessly!

As long as you follow the steps carefully, you should be OK. Once you install an ATI driver, all the new strings will appear in the registry again.
I have done it exactly as it says 2 times but it gets the same problem the strings wont come back its totally weird
Old Mar 16, 2002, 08:26 PM   #23
Deflector

Deflector is still being judged by the masses

Would this work for the Radeon 64mb VIVO? Or would that require different steps?
Old Mar 17, 2002, 05:32 AM   #24
jzodda
Radeon R420

jzodda is still being judged by the masses

This should be a sticky

Finally a guide to do this that includes all steps
4GB (2x2GB) G.Skill DDR2 1000 (5-5-4-12) 2.1v
150GB Western Digital Raptor
500GB Western Digital 5000AAKS
Westinghouse LVM-37w3 1080p Monitor
Silverstone TJ09 Case
Old Mar 17, 2002, 05:24 PM   #25
Candyman
Ex-Master Leaker

Quote:
Originally posted by Deflector
Would this work for the Radeon 64mb VIVO? Or would that require different steps?
This should work with all ATI cards.....maybe...and this is just a maybe....it might be different for AIW or 8500DV cards....but I think it will be similar. There might be another step involved, but since I do not own an AIW or DV card, I couldn't add this to my guide.
2x512MB GeIL PC3500 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
Win XP Pro SP1
Old Mar 19, 2002, 10:27 AM   #26
bleagh
Radeon R700

bleagh is still being judged by the masses

Hi,
The RegCleaner program also will work with Windows 98 and such, no?
I used the program in the past and it may be a better solution for
many than using regedit and deleting the enteries manually.

I also noticed that the link to RegCleaner in the first post is
broken. But I found the home page for the program, it is:
http://www.jv16.org/
Old Mar 19, 2002, 06:18 PM   #27
WindWarrior
Radeon R420

WindWarrior is still being judged by the masses

Smile

Hi Candyman just a question about uninstalling,hope you can help.
When I follow your guide and I get to the part "do a search for ATI*.* " I get a list of maybe a couple hundred ati files,when I select edit/select all/and hit the delete key I get an error saying that the files can't be removed.I'm running a full copy of XP Home edition.Can you help ?? this reformating is truly becoming a nightmare.
Thank's,
WINDWARRIOR
BLACK WIDOW Inc. SYS:Lian-Li PC 7T w/lexan window w/costom graphics/neon lighting Startech 450 watt pws AMD 1800+Tt Volcano 7+ Soyo Dragon + 768mb PC2100 Samsung DDR 2xWD30 gig HDs R8500 retail 275/275
Dig.Research 52x cdrom TDK 32x10x40 CD-R/RW Creative 12x dvd
Audigy MP3+ Cambridge SW 5.1s
Old Mar 19, 2002, 10:27 PM   #28
Candyman
Ex-Master Leaker

Quote:
Originally posted by WindWarrior
Hi Candyman just a question about uninstalling,hope you can help.
When I follow your guide and I get to the part "do a search for ATI*.* " I get a list of maybe a couple hundred ati files,when I select edit/select all/and hit the delete key I get an error saying that the files can't be removed.I'm running a full copy of XP Home edition.Can you help ?? this reformating is truly becoming a nightmare.
Thank's,
WINDWARRIOR
Try rebooting first...then do a search. If that fails....Delete those files a couple at a time and see which file(s) cannot be removed. Skip those files and move onto the next one.

You should only do a search by SYSTEM FOLDERS and not SEARCH HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS. These options are under the advanced options part in the search window.
2x512MB GeIL PC3500 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
Win XP Pro SP1

Last edited by Candyman : Mar 19, 2002 at 10:29 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2002, 04:38 AM   #29
WindWarrior
Radeon R420

WindWarrior is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

Thank's Candyman,I'll give that a try and let you know how it turn's out.
BLACK WIDOW Inc. SYS:Lian-Li PC 7T w/lexan window w/costom graphics/neon lighting Startech 450 watt pws AMD 1800+Tt Volcano 7+ Soyo Dragon + 768mb PC2100 Samsung DDR 2xWD30 gig HDs R8500 retail 275/275
Dig.Research 52x cdrom TDK 32x10x40 CD-R/RW Creative 12x dvd
Audigy MP3+ Cambridge SW 5.1s
Old Mar 23, 2002, 09:08 AM   #30
mpkpo

mpkpo is still being judged by the masses

I recieved my Radeon 8500 yesterday. First I installed the 6037 drivers which gave me a 7900 3dmark2001se score, but it was unstable in ballistics. I then tried installing 6052 from redsoft which awarded me 8500 in 3d2k1se. However after that everything crashes up. I've spent the last 20 hours installing 6025,6043 etc.,etc., using your cookbook, but nothing works. Cant finish 3d2k1, let alone any game. Howevere using your cookbook( delete device-->delete hardware/software--->delete ati*.inf files--->reboot) the computer always recognizes that there is a new hardware component and after 10 seconds or so it fugures out I've got a radeon 8500. Go figure?? After this I delete everything ati*.* whereupon I've used both regcleaner and regedit to wipe out ati from my system with no luck. Regedit always turns up with far more entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SYSTEM -- ControlSet001 -- Control -- Video than 4. I get 10 or 15. Going through them I delete everything with ATI written on them, with no luck. In the end it freezes up again and again. Any idea??
Epox 8kha+ (may be the culprit judging from other threads.. but how can I be sure)
512 MB
XP 1800+
Win XP