Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Feb 24, 2003, 06:04 PM   #541
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by IQz3r0
Just to let you know guys, I installed yesterday Freelancer (Radeon 9700 non-pro built by ATI w/ Cat 3.1 on XP1800+ w/epox 8kha+) and when I start the game a window shows up saying it does not recognize the video card and asks you if you want to continue or not. I haven't had enough time to play it but it ran quite smoothly with AA and AF to the max on 1024*768.
I won't even comment on how you got it...
Old Feb 24, 2003, 08:28 PM   #542
rtangwai
RX 480

rtangwai is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Bohrn
rtangwai, have you tried any of Omega's drivers? I have had no problems with his and lots with the stock ATI ones.

This is the case for alot of people here.

Haven't tried the Omega drivers yet - do they support the AIW functions?
rtangwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 08:34 PM   #543
rtangwai
RX 480

rtangwai is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by stargate
rtangwai, there seems to be a very serious problem regarding catalyst drivers and via kt133s. try using cats 2.3. as for cats 24...3.1 there is no way to make them work with your system.

I must be one of the lucky ones - apart from IWD2 the Cat 3.1 works great on my PC. I accidently left 3DMark2001SE running for a week without crashing, and I run SETI on an ongoing basis. The only other issue I have is that the TV sometimes doesn't initialize for a scheduled recording. I did have *MAJOR* problems with the setup before I took Rich Aubin's advice and installed the 4in1 drivers AFTER installing the Cat 3.1 - that fixed quite a number of things like the MMC crashing when attempting to close, weird blanking of the TV overlay until you moved the windows, etc.
rtangwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 25, 2003, 01:26 AM   #544
sireric
ATI Guru

sireric is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: SIRERIC Please help on this one

Quote:
Originally posted by fibonaccov
Hi,

I've this problem since cat 2.5 and I think am not the only one.

After a fresh install of XP Pro and Cat 3.1, the "Monitor" button in the ATI display panel is grayed out (therefore I cannot click on it to set refresh rate, etc) - I've installed the driver for my monitor and nothing will make it active - Hence I'm stucked at 60Hz refresh rate because "enable directX override" is set to 1 according to the registry - setting the value to zero does not change anything
My monitor is a Sony Multiscan E400 Flat CRT 20"

Could you please inquire about what would cause the Monitor button in the ATI Display panel to be grayed out and what is the workaround for me to get access to it (am ok even if it is a registry hack)...I sent email to tech support but got no answer.

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks in advance,

--fibo

RefreshForce will not affect any of this leaving the refresh rate stucked to 60hz no matter what I do
Had to ask around on this one. Got some feedback. Can you go to display properties -> settings -> advanced -> adapter -> list all modes

Select the resolution/Refresh that you want. Can you select anything higher than 60 Hz?
sireric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 03:19 AM   #545
stargate
Radeon R520

stargate is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by rtangwai
I must be one of the lucky ones - apart from IWD2 the Cat 3.1 works great on my PC. I accidently left 3DMark2001SE running for a week without crashing, and I run SETI on an ongoing basis. The only other issue I have is that the TV sometimes doesn't initialize for a scheduled recording. I did have *MAJOR* problems with the setup before I took Rich Aubin's advice and installed the 4in1 drivers AFTER installing the Cat 3.1 - that fixed quite a number of things like the MMC crashing when attempting to close, weird blanking of the TV overlay until you moved the windows, etc.

you are truly lucky. i've tried everything, believe me, every possible order of installing software. since 2.4 nothing works with my system, and i assure you i am not the only one.
Barton 2600+, Hercules Radeon [email protected], ECS nForce2, 2x256 Samsung 1x1024 Kingmax, Eizo 21'', Targa 17'', ExcelStor 60 GB, Seagate 160 GB, Teac [email protected] 832S dvdrw, Teac 8/8/32 cdrw, SBLive 5.1, WayJet bt878, Logitech Optical White USB, Chicony cordless kit, Firestorm Dual Power 3 with force feedback gamepad, Mustek 600 UPS.

Lead developer of Star Media Center.
stargate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 04:20 AM   #546
fibonaccov
Radeon R420

fibonaccov is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Re: SIRERIC Please help on this one

Quote:
Originally posted by sireric
Had to ask around on this one. Got some feedback. Can you go to display properties -> settings -> advanced -> adapter -> list all modes

Select the resolution/Refresh that you want. Can you select anything higher than 60 Hz?
Hi Sireric,

YES, I can select anything I want pretty much and definitely above 60hz - I see a lot of 85hz - so for instance, I can select 1024x768 (32) @ 85hz and I have access to lower resolutions as well such as 1600x1200 (32) @ 70hz ...Selecting them in the list does NOT produce any effects besides highlighting the line which I selected - Hope this helps,

--fibo
3x512MB Corsair XMS 3200
SLK-800 with SmartFan II
Windows XP Pro w/ SP1
2 Seagate Barracuda 120GB 7200rmp 8MB
1 LiteOn CD/RW - 1 Pioneer DVD
Anix Platinum XP Case modded
fibonaccov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 06:26 AM   #547
Sprite
Radeon R300

Sprite is still being judged by the masses

Regarding proper installing. I've found another thing that is not quite right.

If I first install cat3.1 drivers and then DirectX9, using DXDIAG ( Test Direct3D) the 3D Box spins like crazy.

If I first install DirectX9 and then cat3.1, using DXDIAG (Test Direct3D) the 3D Box spins very slow.......

Please guys, tell us HOW to properly get things right (if you know it yourself, that is)

Overall, I can say, I've been stupid, not once but twice
For each of these cards I bought, I could spend a whole year in Tahiti, where there is no capitalism, no lame *** companies throwing mud at each other, and the system is stable as a rock, the only crash I had was when making love to some nice chic in a way too light beach chair.
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 06:36 AM   #548
Okio
leh ar~ cheap jing!

Okio is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprite
Regarding proper installing. I've found another thing that is not quite right.

If I first install cat3.1 drivers and then DirectX9, using DXDIAG ( Test Direct3D) the 3D Box spins like crazy.

If I first install DirectX9 and then cat3.1, using DXDIAG (Test Direct3D) the 3D Box spins very slow.......

Please guys, tell us HOW to properly get things right (if you know it yourself, that is)
this is due to d3d v-sync being disabled when before it was enabled.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 08:50 AM   #549
m3w49
Radeon R300

m3w49 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I won't even comment on how you got it...
Maybe he's talking about the demo?
m3w49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 01:48 PM   #550
sireric
ATI Guru

Default Re: Re: Re: SIRERIC Please help on this one

Quote:
Originally posted by fibonaccov
Hi Sireric,

YES, I can select anything I want pretty much and definitely above 60hz - I see a lot of 85hz - so for instance, I can select 1024x768 (32) @ 85hz and I have access to lower resolutions as well such as 1600x1200 (32) @ 70hz ...Selecting them in the list does NOT produce any effects besides highlighting the line which I selected - Hope this helps,

--fibo
Ok, Catalyst Maker replied to me, and suggested the following two items:

1) Re-install the control panel. Uninstall the current one, reboot, download a new one, then install that one. Reboot.

2) Get the latest monitor drivers from your monitor vendor.

Otherwise, we've actually never seen this problem before. It's actually a Windows thing to supply the monitor subsection, I believe.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 02:13 PM   #551
Metzelder
Radeon R200

Metzelder is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: SIRERIC Please help on this one

Quote:
Pete [email protected] http://home.t-online.de/home/PeteBernert/
February 22, 2003 - Benchmark fun...

I've got a lot of nice emails after my last tale, many users with ATI cards wanted to help me in improving the gfx card compatibility and the speed of my OpenGL plugin. Of course it would be a real mess if I would mail special debug/benchmark versions of my plugin to everybody, since the results would depend heavily on the games used.

So I've coded a special benchmark application, and if you are interested in helping me out, download it, run it, and email me the results (I've included a readme file with details how to do it). This test is _not_ limited to ATI users, feel free to mail me your nVidia/Matrox/S3/whatever results as well. The more, the better.

Pete's texture speed test application (89 KByte Zip-File)

Another application is more of interest for ATI users: the current ATI OpenGL drivers are buggy when it comes to the reverse subtractive blending mode (that's why there exists an 'ATI special game fix' in my OpenGL plugin, which is an hack around the issue). If you want to check out easily, if ATI was able to fix the bug with a newer driver release, simply run the application after each driver update. Let us hope...

Pete's reverse subtractive blending test application (93 KByte Zip-File)

And of course: thanx for your support

Quote:
Pete Bernert
If your card can do "a", but not "b" (like the current ATI Radeon drivers are doing it), the picture will look like the "bad_rs_blending" bitmap (look at the lower small triangle... it's black). That means that you will get lotsa glitches in psx games (using my OpenGL gpu plugin), as long as you don't enable my "ATI special game fix" (which will do the less perfect fake blending). Hopefully ATI can fix that soon... so feel free to run the test after each new ATI driver release, and send me a small mail when the bug is gone... I would like to know that
Metzelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 03:14 PM   #552
fibonaccov
Radeon R420

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: SIRERIC Please help on this one

Quote:
Ok, Catalyst Maker replied to me, and suggested the following two items:

1) Re-install the control panel. Uninstall the current one, reboot, download a new one, then install that one. Reboot.

2) Get the latest monitor drivers from your monitor vendor.

Otherwise, we've actually never seen this problem before. It's actually a Windows thing to supply the monitor subsection, I believe.
Hi Sireric,

I've done it a few times now - no chance - I've another machine with the same monitor and Cat 3.0 and XP and I was able to access the monitor button (I know that for sure) but after having checked I can no longer - what is going on. At some point, setting EnableDXOverride in the registry helped with cat 3.0 but not anymore with 3.1 - there got to be something to enable that button - I've installed the latest .inf for my monitor - I always do.

What does make the Monitor button in the ATI Display panel stay grayed out? Is there a way you could find out with the driver/ctrl panel team?

I've used this monitor for the last 2 years and never had a problem with ATI until Catalyst appeared...there got to be a way to fix this...Despiste I can no longer access the button on my other system, am at least running @ 85hz refresh rate as I was able to change in the first place...

Your assistance on this matter is very much appreciated,

--fibo
3x512MB Corsair XMS 3200
SLK-800 with SmartFan II
Windows XP Pro w/ SP1
Old Feb 25, 2003, 04:20 PM   #553
nsgua
Radeon R420

nsgua is still being judged by the masses

Angry Splinter Cell

in the first mission (training), i´m getting very strange white blocks on the left and right side at the starting point. this "big" artefacts are visible through the whole trainig mission.

PS: same problem with 6303 drivers
nsgua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 05:48 PM   #554
BigDaddy
Radeon R700

BigDaddy is still being judged by the masses

fibonaccov
Regarding your ISSUE. I get the same thing if I set refresh rate above my monitor's supported rate. So I guess for some strange reason Windows or Ati drivers thing that your monitor is only 60hz so upping this value doesn't help.

example:
at 1024*768 my max supported refresh rate is 100HZ. I can set it to higher and windows will say its using higher one, but if I double check it on monitors OSD it is still 100hz.

I know this is not your exact problem but the issue is the same. Please let me know If I am right.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 06:45 PM   #555
fibonaccov
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDaddy
fibonaccov
Regarding your ISSUE. I get the same thing if I set refresh rate above my monitor's supported rate. So I guess for some strange reason Windows or Ati drivers thing that your monitor is only 60hz so upping this value doesn't help.

example:
at 1024*768 my max supported refresh rate is 100HZ. I can set it to higher and windows will say its using higher one, but if I double check it on monitors OSD it is still 100hz.

I know this is not your exact problem but the issue is the same. Please let me know If I am right.
Well, I think you might be right - After a fresh install of XP with SP1, I usually install the latest .inf for the monitor - All the supported modes for this monitor are properly listed in the Adapter->List All Modes output and the Monitor refresh rate drop down list shows the right frequencies limit (100hz) - Yes with this monitor I should be able to run @ 1024x768 @ 100hz but I can't even make it run @ 85 as selecting a new AND higher frequency than 60 will have NO effect - selecting a lower frequency will have effect ironically...

Of course, refreshforce and the others also produces no change - I See in the ATI registry section that EnableDXOverride is set to 1 (so this leads me to think that the ATI driver keeps on overriding DirectX RR stucked at 60hz default as I cannot change settings in the ATI Display panel...

Thanks,

--fibo
3x512MB Corsair XMS 3200
SLK-800 with SmartFan II
Windows XP Pro w/ SP1
Old Feb 25, 2003, 08:00 PM   #556
Captain Kirk
Radeon R100

Captain Kirk is still being judged by the masses

@Catalyst Maker: When do you add the Override Refresh Option for Open gl under Win2k/XP as you promised a while ago.
I'm sick of playing OGL games @60Hz.
I already tried to force the Refreshrate with Refreshlock, Refreshfix etc., but it did not work.
Or is there another posibility to force a higher RefreshRate then 60 Hz in Ogl Games?

Running Win 2k Pro, AMD Athlon XP 1800+, ATI Radeon 8500 (BBA), 512 MB RAM.

Edit: The Problem with Mafia ist not only in Win Xp.
It's in Win 2k SP3 and Win 98 SE,too.

Last edited by Captain Kirk : Feb 25, 2003 at 08:30 PM.
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 09:04 PM   #557
megatron
Radeon R700

megatron is still being judged by the masses

Under the "monitor" tab try unchecking hide unsupported modes. If my monitor is set to too high a frequency for the resolution then I get a black screen with a red OSD saying that the monitor is out of range, but if you do the same it possible that you could break your monitor.
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 10:17 PM   #558
sireric
ATI Guru

PS: We are still looking at this problem.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 02:18 AM   #559
nsgua
Radeon R420

nsgua is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
PS: We are still looking at this problem.
what about the "sliper cell" problem above?
nsgua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 02:35 AM   #560
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

fibonaccov are you able to uncheck "USE DCC" ?
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 02:37 AM   #561
stargate
Radeon R520

what about the kt133 problem??????
Barton 2600+, Hercules Radeon [email protected], ECS nForce2, 2x256 Samsung 1x1024 Kingmax, Eizo 21'', Targa 17'', ExcelStor 60 GB, Seagate 160 GB, Teac [email protected] 832S dvdrw, Teac 8/8/32 cdrw, SBLive 5.1, WayJet bt878, Logitech Optical White USB, Chicony cordless kit, Firestorm Dual Power 3 with force feedback gamepad, Mustek 600 UPS.

Old Feb 26, 2003, 02:45 AM   #562
fibonaccov
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally posted by Skynet
fibonaccov are you able to uncheck "USE DCC" ?
I CANNOT because the monitor button is grayed out, therefore unaccessible (in the ATI Display panel), eventhough the latest .inf has been installed, etc...

--fibo
3x512MB Corsair XMS 3200
SLK-800 with SmartFan II
Windows XP Pro w/ SP1
Old Feb 26, 2003, 04:11 AM   #563
MaDMaX22194

MaDMaX22194 is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Re: SIRERIC Please help on this one

Quote:
Originally posted by megatron
http://www.radeon2.ru/refreshfix_eng.html
WTF? You do not need to use any refresh utility with Catalyst 3.1 you have one already built into the CATALYST Control Panel.
MaDMaX22194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 07:10 AM   #564
Flamey
Radeon R200

Flamey is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I see you're looking into minor bugs, how about fixing some MAJOR ones?
Sapphire Radeon 4870
Flamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 07:30 AM   #565
The PIT
Radeon R700

The PIT is still being judged by the masses

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by stargate
Ahh thats easy go outside and you'll see a place where you throw your garbage. Chuck and then buy a decent board.

Only kidding.
The PIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 07:31 AM   #566
The PIT
Radeon R700

The PIT is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by MaDMaX22194
WTF? You do not need to use any refresh utility with Catalyst 3.1 you have one already built into the CATALYST Control Panel.
And if it doesn't work ????
The PIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 08:41 AM   #567
Captain Kirk
Radeon R100

Quote:
Originally posted by MaDMaX22194
Yes, but this button is only for Direct X.
It does not! effect OpenGl Games.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 08:49 AM   #568
JoeBar
Radeon R420

JoeBar is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Kirk
@Catalyst Maker: When do you add the Override Refresh Option for Open gl under Win2k/XP as you promised a while ago.
I'm sick of playing OGL games @60Hz.
Have u tried Powerstrip 3.30? I'm using it wihout probs.
2 X 36.7GB Western Digital Raptors Raid 0 | 300GB Western Digital Caviar SE
GeCube Radeon X1900XT | LG 1980Q (8ms) TFT monitor
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi | Cambridge Soundworks Megaworks 550 THX
Asus DRW-1608P burner
Theramltake Kandalf case with 4 x 120mm and 2 x 90 blue led fans | Chieftec 550W triple 12v rail, 120mm fan psu
JoeBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 09:06 AM   #569
Captain Kirk
Radeon R100

No, but i don't want to use Power Strip, because it crashed my whole System.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 10:26 AM   #570
stargate
Radeon R520

try this:

Open regedit and find this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\system\\CurentControlSet\\Control\\Class]. Expand the "class key", you will see a bunch of keys similar to

{1113E534-EAF87542.....}

If you select one of them you'll see some values. There should be a string called "Default" or "Class" or both of them, saying what kind of device it is, like "Modem", "Keyboards" etc. Find the key that has a string value "Class"="Monitor".

Expand that key and there should be at least one key, typically "0000". Might be more, in that case you'll have see which one is currently in use. Just modify them one by one.

Start by expanding the "0000" key, there should be a key "MODES", expand it, now you should see a key with your monitor's max resolution. Now, suppose that you want a 75 Hz vertical refresh rate in resolution 1024x768. Add a key in "MODES" called "1024,768". In the "1024,768" key, add a String value

"Mode1"="75-75,75-75".

Now if you open "Display properties" (right-click on your desktop) click the "Advanced"-button and go to "Monitor" tab you will be able to select only one refresh rate namely 75 Hz. Provided of course that "0000" key was the key currently in use and that "Hide all unsupported modes" checkbox was ticked. Repeat the procedure for all refresh-rate--resolution combinations you wish to use.