Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » CATALYST Drivers
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CATALYST Drivers Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Catalyst Drivers. Please put Linux-specific driver posts and Remote Wonder discussion in their respective forums.

"

Old Dec 20, 2002, 02:07 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
CyberCrop
Radeon HD 6870

CyberCrop is still being judged by the masses

Default Terrible OGL stutters in Cat 3.0

My OGL games comes to a complete crawl every 5 seconds now after installing the Cat 3.0!!

It is very similar to the OGL stutters I experienced from the DX9 Beta driver as well ...

I then tried changing the ogl driver to the dll from Cat 2.5 ... but somehow the stutters remain ...

Club 3D 6800GT@400/1100
Dell 2405FPW
SB Audigy2
CyberCrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 03:34 PM   #2
Moose
Rage3D Veteran

Moose is still being judged by the masses

I'm having the same problems in JKII and Quake 3.

Game runs fine for a few minutes then WHAMMO, instant pause with the sound looping. The stutters are so bad it is nearly impossible to move the mouse pointer to click "yes" to quit the game.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 03:42 PM   #3
Pepsin
bananed

Pepsin is still being judged by the masses

Same problem here. I made a new thread about it, didn't see this one.

Seems like someone at ATI has a lot of explaining to do.

ATI - How do you expect the reputation of your drivers to improve when you keep breaking stuff with each new driver?

CATALYST™ - Commitment, Confidence and Capability
(and 1 FPS in Quake3-engine based games)

Last edited by Pepsin : Dec 20, 2002 at 03:49 PM.
Pepsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:01 PM   #4
VIVOtheFURY
Radeon HD 6850

VIVOtheFURY is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Moose
I'm having the same problems in JKII and Quake 3.

Game runs fine for a few minutes then WHAMMO, instant pause with the sound looping. The stutters are so bad it is nearly impossible to move the mouse pointer to click "yes" to quit the game.
Ever bother to think that it might be DX9.0 and your SOUND CARD drivers aren't playing nicely together? Think DX9.0 might require new Sound card drivers as well?????

All these people have upgraded to both DX9.0 and Cat3.0 in the last day... why does everyone blame ATI and the Cat3.0's first... I am not saying it isn't the Cat3.0's. Just make damn sure it is before B*tching. Many other people haven't had any problems though...
160GB Seagate SATA|300GB Maxtor|Pioneer DVR A08XL
VIVOtheFURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:04 PM   #5
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by VIVOtheFURY
Ever bother to think that it might be DX9.0 and your SOUND CARD drivers aren't playing nicely together? Think DX9.0 might require new Sound card drivers as well?????

All these people have upgraded to both DX9.0 and Cat3.0 in the last day... why does everyone blame ATI and the Cat3.0's first... I am not saying it isn't the Cat3.0's. Just make damn sure it is before B*tching. Many other people haven't had any problems though...
Have some faith... the problem is there... with DX9 and Cats 2.5 the problem does not exist, it arises only after Cats 3.0 are installed. So it's not the sound card.

Cheers!
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:06 PM   #6
CyberCrop
Radeon HD 6870

Huh ....

I seriously doubt That DX9 is the cause for OGL stutters ... It's a driver fault. The same that was present in the Beta DX9 driver ...

It's unbelievable that ATI has introduced it once again ...
Club 3D 6800GT@400/1100
Dell 2405FPW
SB Audigy2
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:14 PM   #7
LukaR
Banned

LukaR is still being judged by the masses

There is no problems here, and neither with old dx 9.0 beta drivers. Check your systems, I guess it something wrong there.
LukaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:16 PM   #8
Pepsin
bananed

Quote:
Originally posted by LukaR
There is no problems here, and neither with old dx 9.0 beta drivers. Check your systems, I guess it something wrong there.
Better yet, post YOUR system specs. Do you have an Intel or AMD? What OS?
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:21 PM   #9
mad_arab
Radeon HD 6850

mad_arab is still being judged by the masses

There IS most definetly a driver issue. I had this problem with beta dx9 and beta dx9 catalyst a week ago on my i845g/p4/r9700. Then it appeared again when i installed dx9 final + ctalyst 3.0 today on my nforce2/amd/r9700. On both systems, there was no problem with dx 8.1.

The problem appears in Q3, Alice and Serious Sam 2. To me it seems it's OpenGL related. And it's very bad, those games are totally unplayable, we're talking 2secs of hanging, then 1sec of activity, then 2secs of hanging again. In SS2 it hangs even in the menus, tho not in Q3 and Alice

Any feedback would be appreciated. I have had this problem on two completey different systems, cpu, soundcard, chipset is different. I even tried a ti4400 afterwards on the intel system, and there was no problem. So it's not dx9's fault either, ATI definetly has some explaining to do here.....

Last edited by mad_arab : Dec 20, 2002 at 04:30 PM.
mad_arab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:27 PM   #10
Pepsin
bananed

Actually, limiting the FPS to as low as 10 FPS removed most of the pauses from Q3A. But it's hard to tell when it's already running at 10 FPS
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:29 PM   #11
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird singsKombatant knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Sireric, any ideas about this one?
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:31 PM   #12
Clockwork
Rage3D Spammer

Clockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally posted by LukaR
Same for me. Just played Jedi Knight and Quake 3 Arena and had no issues, not even a hiccup. I also loaded up Alice and there seem to be no issues either....
"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides." - Carl Sagan
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:34 PM   #13
GeneticDrift
Radeon HD 6850

GeneticDrift is still being judged by the masses

q3 is definately not working with these drivers!!!

nice job ati......................what a joke!
GeneticDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:40 PM   #14
Clockwork
Rage3D Spammer

Clockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneticDrift
q3 is definately not working with these drivers!!!
Nice blanket statement.

Should actually read:

q3 is definitely not working with these drivers for a small percentage of users....
"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides." - Carl Sagan
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:43 PM   #15
GeneticDrift
Radeon HD 6850

well guess what, it doesnt work for me and thats all that matters! and no u dont!
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:43 PM   #16
Ostsol
Cheesesun

Ostsol is still being judged by the masses

If these games us DirectSound, then it could be a DirectX issue. Even without that it could be a sound card driver issue. *shrugs*

I played a couple Quake 3 demos and a botmatch vs 4 bots (got my ass kicked) -- no stuttering at all or even a pause. Everything was perfectly smooth. A3D was disabled, but every other in-game setting was maxed out. 4x FSAA and 8x aniso. What settings are you guys using?
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX
SoundBlaster Audigy XGamer

-Ostsol
Ostsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:45 PM   #17
GeneticDrift
Radeon HD 6850

1280x1024 set to run at 125 fps instead of game default of 90fps
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:47 PM   #18
Clockwork
Rage3D Spammer

I am at 1280x1024. 4x FSAA & 16x AF. All settings at their highest.

I do have vsync disabled...(in driver and games)

Last edited by Clockwork : Dec 20, 2002 at 05:19 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:54 PM   #19
Pepsin
bananed

I hate it when people say "Works fine for me. It must be user error". At least ten users have reported the same problem. The problem does not exist with Cat 2.5+DX9, only with Cat3+DX9. There IS a driver issue.

So instead of just posting useless comments (like this one..hehe), we need to find out what the systems on which it pauses have in common, that the systems that don't have any problems with do not have (did that make any sense at all? I'm tired ).

When it not pauses, it runs smooth (I saw 300 FPS at 1024x768 4x AA). It's just that it switches into 1-fps mode every couple of seconds.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:56 PM   #20
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Subscriber

You can all see my specs in the sig. The pauses start when I install Cats3.0. If I have DX9 with Cats 2.5 no problem whatsoever and Q3 plays like a dream at 1600x1200,Full Shadows,16x aniso,2x FSAA and trilinear filtering. But when I install 3.0, then the game is unplayable. I tried erasing my q3config.cfg to get the default settings but no success. I also tried to use the OGL driver that came with Cats 2.5 (and made sure that the game used the OGL DLL i wanted by checking the driver info from within the game) but that didn't work either.

I had the exact same problem with the BRC0 version of the cats, so that could be a hint. I don't know what's broken (or more likely conflicts) with OGL performance but it is rather irrirating because it was fixed in the 2.4 version, broken in BRC0 and fixed in 2.5, only to be broken again in 3.0

Any ideas (like exact settings) from the guys that have success in this area and are experiencing no stuttering (or to be more exact, pausing) in OGL will be deeply appreciated.

Thx in advance
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:10 PM   #21
Ostsol
Cheesesun

Ostsol is still being judged by the masses

VSync forced in drivers and all smooth during a botmatch (me == rail-whore ). I even turned off some tweaks and it's still smooth. . .
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX
SoundBlaster Audigy XGamer

-Ostsol
Ostsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:10 PM   #22
emphy
Radeon HD 6970

emphy is still being judged by the masses

Strange, when I enable PCI read in SMARTGART opengl doesn't stutter anymore, but direct3d locks up, when I disable it D3D runs fine but opengl stutters horribly.

Cat 3.0
abit KT7+AMD1Ghz
512 mb pc133
hercules GFII
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:21 PM   #23
RVachon
Radeon HD 6850

RVachon is still being judged by the masses

I get the same thing in OGL with NASCAR Racing 2002 but runs smooth in D3D mode. So it is OGL that's the problem.

Ray
AMD XP2500+ Barton o/c to XP3200+ specs (11x200) | Abit NF7-S V2.0 | 1 GB Corsair DDR PC3200 | WD 200 GB SATA 8 MB Buffer| Hercules Game Theatre XP Sound | Radeon 9800 Pro w/ Silencer 3 | Dell 19" Trinitron | WinXP Pro SP2 |
RVachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:41 PM   #24
Ulysses 31
Rage3D Veteran

Ulysses 31 is still being judged by the masses

Quake 3 worked fine till I installed the 1.32 patch and then these "pauses" came =/

Turning down the sound acceleration in dxdiag fixed it for me!
Ulysses 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:43 PM   #25
DVS Darkside
.:. Lafiel .:.

DVS Darkside is still being judged by the masses

Angry

Yes D3D works fine OGL screwd up in Cats 3.0 Darn it ATI can't they for once make good release in first try

And i don't think Sound card have anything to do with it , witohut sound same happens

Soldier Of Fortune 2 , UT2003 , and any other OGL based game have problems terrible sutter and even crash

Well actually it runs ok if you have DSL disconected and playing Single Player , but Multiplayer with online playing is HORRID IMPOSSIBLE = Terrible Shutter = Crash
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:48 PM   #26
Ulysses 31
Rage3D Veteran

Ulysses 31 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by DVS Darkside
Yes D3D works fine OGL screwd up in Cats 3.0 Darn it ATI can't they for once make good release in first try

And i don't think Sound card have anything to do with it , witohut sound same happens

Soldier Of Fortune 2 , UT2003 , and any other OGL based game have problems terrible sutter and even crash

Well actually it runs ok if you have DSL disconected and playing Single Player , but Multiplayer with online playing is HORRID IMPOSSIBLE = Terrible Shutter = Crash

UT2003 kept kicking me to desktop when I tried to play but that has also been fixed by turning down the sound acceleration slider in dxdiag! =)

gonna try out RTCW & SOF2 soon
Ulysses 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:49 PM   #27
Pepsin
bananed

Turning down sound acceleration to the bare minimum reduced the pauses for me. Only happens once or twice every minute instead of every couple of seconds, but it's still there, and it still makes the game unplayable. Also, turning off or reducing sound acceleration reduces performance and makes the sounds lag behind.

It is definetly an ATI problem, but it seems like doing things like disconnecting from the internet and disabling sound acceleration reduces the problem.

It's the same with the D3D stuttering issue, it's easy to make worse. Leave WinAmp playing while running the 3DMark High Polycount test, for example, and watch it stutter.

Congratulations ATI, now BOTH D3D and OpenGL stutters. If you keep it up at this rate, every single game will soon run at 1 FPS

Last edited by Pepsin : Dec 20, 2002 at 05:51 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:51 PM   #28
Genius
Banned

Genius is still being judged by the masses

I had the problem in Tactical Ops at first... but I have been unable to reproduce it since All settings the same. Very strange.
Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:58 PM   #29
Genius
Banned

Genius is still being judged by the masses

Addition for users with OpenGL problems.

Having trouble with anything OpenGL (Quake engine games, Counterstrike)?

You may want to try another ATI OpenGL driver. Generally, ATI's atioglxx.dll is interchangable between driver revisions. If you're having trouble with any games in particular, it is very easy to revert back to the last one that worked best for you.

Step 1: Download whatever driver package you need that you expect to contain your working OpenGL driver.

Step 2: Extract atioglxx.dl_ to your Windows Desktop. There are two methods for this.

Method 1: The driver package you downloaded might be able to be opened using WinZip or WinRAR. To find out, right click on the file and see if you see a WinZip or WinRAR context menu (for WinZip, you will see Open with WinZip and for WinRAR you will see Open with WinRAR. Click the corrosponding command (if you're using WinACE, you already know wtf your doing so don't cry).

The application window will pop up listing the contents of the driver package. Search through until you find atioglxx.dl_ and highlight it, then click Extract or Extract To. The extraction window will pop up. In the right hand pane, click Desktop (it will extract the file to your Desktop -duh). Now in the left hand side of the window, uncheck use folder names (WinZip) or check Do not extract pathnames (WinRAR). Now click the OK button in WinZip or the Extract button in WinRAR. The file should appear on your desktop.

Method 2: If the driver package cannot be opened with WinZip or WinRAR (because ATI thinks they are sneaky), just double click the file so the installation procedure begins. It should prompt for an extraction location before the installation actually begins. Just click OK to this. The files will extract and when the installation comes up, just hit cancel. Open up an Explorer window (right click the My Computer icon, left click explore. Browse to C:\ATI\xxxx. Dig through these folders until you find atioglxx.dl_ and right click the file. Left click Copy in the popup menu. Now minimize or close everything you have open and Right Click on an empty secton of your Desktop (no icons). In the popup menu, click Paste. The file should appear on your desktop if you have done everything correctly.

Step 3: Expand the file to something useful.
Click Start, then left click Run. Type cmd and click OK. A Windows XP command prompt will appear (looks like MS-Dos). At this prompt, type cd desktop and hit Enter on your keyboard. Next type expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll and hit enter. You should see a file named atioglxx.dll appear on your Desktop. Good. Now close all open windows.

Step 4: Open up another Explorer window (right click My Computer, left click Explore. In the Explorer Window that pops up, browse to C:\Windows\System32. Locate the file atioglxx.dll and rename it to atioglxx.bak. Do this by right clicking on the file and clicking Rename. You will see a blinking cursor on the icon's name. Now that we have backed up atioglxx.dll to prevent any disasters, switch back to your Desktop and right click the file atioglxx.dll. Choose copy in the popup menu. Now switch back to the Explorer window showing C:\Windows\System32\. Click Edit from up under the top meu bar, then choose Paste. Your new OpenGL driver is now in place.

Alternatively, you can right click on atioglxx.dl_ and choose Open With WinZip or Open With... and pick WinZip from the list and extract it wherever you want.
Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2002, 06:13 PM   #30
CyberCrop
Radeon HD 6870

I actually used this exellent guide of yours Genious. ALthough I swapped the OGL driver with the one from Cat 2.5 it still stutters .. go figure ..
Club 3D 6800GT@400/1100
Dell 2405FPW
SB Audigy2