Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jan 23, 2021, 09:12 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
It's mostly the photo and video people? If you take tons of video and photos and like to work on them outside the phone.... having the SD card just makes dealing with them easier for allot of peoples work flows.

Personally. I'm the same way switch. Taken a lost of photos and vids, plenty of space left on my S9+ with 128gb of space between the internal and SD card. If I just had more internal space, I wouldn't care. I also don't use SD cards in my workflow very often, so again... not really affected.
I would think anyone that serious would be using a dslr?

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Old Jan 24, 2021, 12:42 AM   #32
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
I would think anyone that serious would be using a dslr?

Yes, but there are plenty of scenarios where that doesn't play out. I know during travelling in 2019 I just took only my S9+ as I didn't want to lug a camera around Europe. Or scenarios where they want out more affordable/portable equipment and they just ask you to turn in an SD card. The are plenty of scenarios.

But your right. Most people, not gonna care.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2021, 01:29 AM   #33
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Who cares about additional storage anymore? I sure don't, if it's a big deal get the 256 or 512. I have a note10+ and will be upgrading to the s21 ultra, looks awesome.

Because a sd card costs 50 and a 512gb phone usually costs 200-300 more?

I don't use it therefor it's not Important etc etc

Also yeah you can use a DLSR, but when you visit places in the olden times when travel was allowed, and you record in 4k60fps that 128GB goes very fast, and who wants to lug around another 500 euro camera around. You want family videos, not award winning photographs .

Plus you say nerds crying about SD card, but there's a lot of people complaining about SD card, but hey ho if you're fine about features being removed purely for greed, I wonder what else they can remove next, charger port?

Last edited by SirBaron : Jan 24, 2021 at 01:43 AM.
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 24, 2021, 01:46 AM   #34
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
I just checked my Note 10+ that has 256gb -- 20gb of photos, 30gb of videos and another 8gb of audio.

I stream all music, podcasts and video. I take piles of photos and I have loads of room. Nerds whining about cords, cable jacks, earbuds and SD cards. Most people don't care.

It's fine if you can stream, here in the German land streaming is near imposible unless you only live in a large city, you drive outside your village no data connection anymore as soon as you walk 5 meters from the village, plus my work has zero net connection.

So all my podcasts, and music are downloaded.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 02:54 AM   #35
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
I wonder what else they can remove next, charger port?

Dont worry apple is working on that as we speak. Samsung will follow suit the same way they followed suit with no charger in the box.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2021, 04:06 AM   #36
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

I hope not , I use USB for my carplay/android auto.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 07:27 AM   #37
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Waiting for Samsung to get the S20 ultra back on their website to see how much of a discount they offer.

I also spent some more time over the weekend with a 12 pro max, and it's a sweet phone, but I prefer Android...now I just need to be patient.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2021, 08:22 AM   #38
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Waiting for Samsung to get the S20 ultra back on their website to see how much of a discount they offer.
it's around 860 over here but maybe the price will drop a bit more in the next weeks. Wouldn't bet on it though

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2021, 08:42 AM   #39
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
it's around 860 over here but maybe the price will drop a bit more in the next weeks. Wouldn't bet on it though
I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a phone any more. Especially when the upgrades available aren't a massive step above the previous versions.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 09:36 AM   #40
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a phone any more. Especially when the upgrades available aren't a massive step above the previous versions.
understandable, but the ultra-line is the highest tier. That being said, i also wasn't happy to spend a lot of money on a new phone, but mine was busted, so i had to get something.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:40 PM   #41
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
understandable, but the ultra-line is the highest tier. That being said, i also wasn't happy to spend a lot of money on a new phone, but mine was busted, so i had to get something.
Ok I admit it. I just want a new toy, and I'm cheap
Old Jan 25, 2021, 02:28 PM   #42
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Ok I admit it. I just want a new toy, and I'm cheap
Why not join the Samsung upgrade progamme like me? You pay 10% deposit and take out a 0% interest loan arranged with Samsung (in UK it's through Klarna) over 24 months with a 15% final payment at the end of two years, if you keep the phone.

It's costing me about £22.00 p.m. and I get the option of a new phone every year. Basically, when you upgrade you send the old phone back to Samsung and they pay off your contract and you start a new one. Rinse and repeat every year.

You can pay off the loan any time you want and you're not obliged to update every year if you don't want to. I've got a family sim with BT with my wife and son (she's got an iPhone 12 Max Pro and he's got a iPhone 7) and we get 20gb data each per month and unlimited calls and texts for £24.00 so £8.00 each Miles cheaper than buying the phone on contract or by cash as the value falls quite quickly.

Personally I think Samsung's UI 3.0 (3.1 on S22) is better than Pixel android as I used to always buy the Nexus range from Google up to the 6p and I get security updates now sometimes before Pixel devices.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2021, 02:34 PM   #43
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Why not join the Samsung upgrade progamme like me? You pay 10% deposit and take out a 0% interest loan arranged with Samsung (in UK it's through Klarna) over 24 months with a 15% final payment at the end of two years, if you keep the phone.

It's costing me about £22.00 p.m. and I get the option of a new phone every year. Basically, when you upgrade you send the old phone back to Samsung and they pay off your contract and you start a new one. Rinse and repeat every year.

You can pay off the loan any time you want and you're not obliged to update every year if you don't want to. I've got a family sim with BT with my wife and son (she's got an iPhone 12 Max Pro and he's got a iPhone 7) and we get 20gb data each per month and unlimited calls and texts for £24.00 so £8.00 each Miles cheaper than buying the phone on contract or by cash as the value falls quite quickly.

Personally I think Samsung's UI 3.0 (3.1 on S22) is better than Pixel android as I used to always buy the Nexus range from Google up to the 6p and I get security updates now sometimes before Pixel devices.
That's a great deal! I looked at their upgrade program earlier and it looks great, but I haven't been able to talk to anyone who actually uses it,...I'm a little weird that way. I like first hand accounts before jumping in.

I'm still stuck on the S20 version though, primarily because of the Micro-SD. It's so much easier to just plug that into my PC when I want to move a couple of hundred photos...
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:27 PM   #44
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Is that 22 quid for the standard s21 or the ultra?
Old Jan 26, 2021, 04:50 PM   #45
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
If I go for the 128gb ultra I get $250 for the note 8 trade in and $26.40 a month for 36 months, but the Samsung upgrade program isn't showing anywhere on the preorder page
Old Jan 27, 2021, 01:40 PM   #46
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
That's a great deal! I looked at their upgrade program earlier and it looks great, but I haven't been able to talk to anyone who actually uses it,...I'm a little weird that way. I like first hand accounts before jumping in.

I'm still stuck on the S20 version though, primarily because of the Micro-SD. It's so much easier to just plug that into my PC when I want to move a couple of hundred photos...
Have you never used the Your Phone app on Windows 10? It's a special connection between S20 (maybe other phones) and it can display your last 250 photos and you just save them. You can cut and paste from your phone to Windows and vice versa. You can use your Android apps on Windows, it shows texts, notifications it's great.

Quote:
It's for the standard S21 the Ultra is £300 to £400 more expensive and for what I use a phone for it's not worth it for me. Just got a shipping notice from Samsung and DPD it's arriving tomorrow, a day before the official launch yeah.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Jan 27, 2021, 05:27 PM   #47
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Have you never used the Your Phone app on Windows 10? It's a special connection between S20 (maybe other phones) and it can display your last 250 photos and you just save them. You can cut and paste from your phone to Windows and vice versa. You can use your Android apps on Windows, it shows texts, notifications it's great.

I never have lol. Thank you for the tip, I'll look it up
Old Jan 27, 2021, 10:58 PM   #48
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I am getting the S21 Ultra. Call me crazy, but I am actually selling the iPhone 12 Pro Max for this cause it's such an incredible phone.

It might look better than the iPhone (Phantom black FTW) but the Pro Max is actually much more comfortable to hold for such a large phone and feels more sturdy to me.

..but that's where the benefits end for the iPhone. Literally every other category is superior to me. Ranging from screen, camera system, speakers, and battery life.

It obviously aint perfect, but damn, it's the closest I've seen in years. Kinda wish they can cram all such technology in the body of the S21 / iPhone 12 Pro (the perfect size for me) but alas, maybe next year?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2021, 02:50 PM   #49
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Well the S21 duly arrived at 9.56 am this morning a day ahead of the official launch date. The wife has the iPhone 12 Pro Max and she couldn't get over how light it was compared to her phone. It's not quite so light now as I'd already purchased a Spigen Tough Armour case in which it now sits.

So I restored everything from a backup I did this morning and everything went well apart from two apps. Samsung moved my google contacts to their contacts app and the same with the Google calendar. No probs just downloaded them and synced from my account. A bit churlish by Samsung though.

After doing the restore I've got 98mb of free space which is more than enough for me. I need to get rid of some apps I've not used in a long time which will free up space. Surprisingly it came with the screen set to native, not vivid, and the refresh rate set to adaptive 120hz.

The only real downside, if you want to call it that, is the charging speed. My old S20 charges way faster whilst the S21 seems a bit pedestrian but not slow exactly.

So it came with a free Samsung Smart Tag which is now on my key ring and set up was a breeze with smart things. It also comes with free Buds live which I haven't bothered pairing yet might leave that to the weekend.

All in all a solid first impression and considering the supply shortages of most tech at the moment very impressed with delivery a day earlier than anticipated.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 03:14 AM   #50
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:

After doing the restore I've got 98mb of free space which is more than enough for me. I need to get rid of some apps I've not used in a long time which will free up space. Surprisingly it came with the screen set to native, not vivid, and the refresh rate set to adaptive 120hz.
you sure you mean mb?

Old Jan 29, 2021, 07:38 AM   #51
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
you sure you mean mb?
I meant 98GB.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 02:34 PM   #52
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

S21 Ultra 128GB ordered!

How will I manage with only 128GB, the horror, the audacity.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 02:38 PM   #53
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
S21 Ultra 128GB ordered!

Which of your phones will it be replacing? The Note 10+ or the Pixel 4 XL?
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2021, 02:40 PM   #54
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
Which of your phones will it be replacing? The Note 10+ or the Pixel 4 XL?
I sold my Pixel 4XL last year, so the Note 10+...
Old Jan 29, 2021, 02:48 PM   #55
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I sold my Pixel 4XL last year, so the Note 10+...
Gotcha. I was just curious.

I hope you enjoy the S21 Ultra.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 02:48 PM   #56
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
S21 Ultra 128GB ordered!

HERETIC!

Do you guys use Google services on your Samsungs? I'm thinking about deleting my Google account and just giving everything Samsung a fair shot. I've never had any issues with....any of it really...
Old Jan 29, 2021, 02:53 PM   #57
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Quote:
HERETIC!

Do you guys use Google services on your Samsungs? I'm thinking about deleting my Google account and just giving everything Samsung a fair shot. I've never had any issues with....any of it really...
From my limited experience with Samsung phones, the Google services seem better than the Samsung ones. I would keep the Google account. Not to mention that without one, you would be unable to install apps from the Google Play Store.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 02:55 PM   #58
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
HERETIC!

why should you have problems with any google service on a samsung? It's not Huawei.

Old Jan 29, 2021, 02:55 PM   #59
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
From my limited experience with Samsung phones, the Google services seem better than the Samsung ones. I would keep the Google account. Not to mention that without one, you would be unable to install apps from the Google Play Store.
Good point, thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 02:56 PM   #60
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
why should you have problems with any google service on a samsung? It's not Huawei.
Oh no problems, just wanting to clean up my digital life a bit, so to speak