Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jan 16, 2021, 05:41 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default damn spam calls ...grrr...

got 20 spam calls today, all from unique #s, all saying iPhone support. This is getting really fricken irritating blocking all these numbers every day...

any idea how to handle this, other than getting a new cell#?

I'm very careful to never give out my number or put it on any forms.... pisses me off when businesses even ask now...
Vanz_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 06:45 PM   #2
Higgy10

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanz_007 View Post
got 20 spam calls today, all from unique #s, all saying iPhone support. This is getting really fricken irritating blocking all these numbers every day...

I'm very careful to never give out my number or put it on any forms.... pisses me off when businesses even ask now...
i always get calls from kac trying to clean my ducts, its super annoying
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 07:03 PM   #3
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

i get about probably on average of 1-2 per day. the key is never to pick up. i find when i used to pick up, I would get them more and more...

but sometimes people don't have that option... if it is a work phone or something... but yeah, not picking up at all seems to make them go down over time.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 16, 2021, 07:43 PM   #4
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I just turn Silence Unknown Callers on and most #'s that aren't in my contacts or in my call/message history get sent straight to voice mail, no ringing. They still show up as missed calls that you will have to delete. This is on the very latest iOS though.

I imagine since the gov't is giving out free money plus the vaccines, the spammers are out in force right now.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 10:16 PM   #5
Jankan
Banged

Jankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:

Don’t think getting a new number will help. I started getting 10 plus calls a day on my work cel phone and I don’t give that number out to anyone so no idea where they got the number from.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 09:05 AM   #6
Higgy10

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I just turn Silence Unknown Callers on and most #'s that aren't in my contacts or in my call/message history get sent straight to voice mail, no ringing. They still show up as missed calls that you will have to delete. This is on the very latest iOS though.

I imagine since the gov't is giving out free money plus the vaccines, the spammers are out in force right now.
they dont call from private numbers tho, there smart and spoof a local number

i get spam from kac and his duct cleaning service
calls for the affordable care act(wtf)
the legal department of service canada lol
sharon, my local google assistant
Old Jan 17, 2021, 09:40 AM   #7
KAC
RGB mofo, do you have it!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Gays report numbers to the police. That’s what I do.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2021, 09:44 AM   #8
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I would if I thought it would help.

Any more, I just screen calls and let them go to voice mail unless the number is in the contact list. Typically it's 5 seconds of silence on the voice mail which is always a scammer, or it's no voice mail at all.

Nothing we can do about this. They've been trying for years.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2021, 09:49 AM   #9
Higgy10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
rcmp cant enforce the law in the slums of mumbai
Old Jan 17, 2021, 10:48 AM   #10
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
they dont call from private numbers tho, there smart and spoof a local number

i get spam from kac and his duct cleaning service
calls for the affordable care act(wtf)
the legal department of service canada lol
sharon, my local google assistant
I dunno, I've seen my phone send local numbers straight to voice mail if I've never called them before. Mom is old school so we have a VOIP phone that she thinks is landline and doesn't understand why it goes down with the internet. So a lot of our calls to businesses/services is through that so we don't have to worry about draining our batteries while on hold. I'm not saying local businesses sell their customer's numbers but we've picked up a number of spam calls while waiting for a callback from said businesses. That number has just been getting hammered with health insurance/vaccine spams.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 01:57 PM   #11
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post

okay, will try this, this should help somewhat...
Old Jan 19, 2021, 01:58 PM   #12
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
seriously, I would expect police wouldn't give a crap about spam calls?

Is there a # in the US that we can report these calls somewhere?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 02:00 PM   #13
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
i always get calls from kac trying to clean my ducts, its super annoying
your ducts or your "ducts"?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 02:01 PM   #14
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
i get about probably on average of 1-2 per day. the key is never to pick up
definitely, I never pick up an unknown caller ...ever ...EVER!
Old Jan 19, 2021, 02:41 PM   #15
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Its just part of having a phone number. Not much you can do to stop it.

I do like others suggested, just ignore the call when I don't recognize the number.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2021, 02:57 PM   #16
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Its just part of having a phone number. Not much you can do to stop it.

I do like others suggested, just ignore the call when I don't recognize the number.
sure, but averaging 10 spam numbers a day, is this typical? It takes me time to listen to and then delete these calls/numbers, not a lot about 5mins a day but still... this is getting irritating...
Old Jan 19, 2021, 04:10 PM   #17
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I don't even bother listening to voicemails.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 08:08 PM   #18
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I don't even bother listening to voicemails.
how can you be sure it's spam and not some person you know who's not on your contacts list?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 08:46 PM   #19
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

I get these often and pick them up all the time. I usually lead them on and then call them out as a spammer. They get mad and hang up. Hearing them curse with that accent is hilarious.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2021, 08:59 PM   #20
Cyko
FCK TRMP

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
I get these often and pick them up all the time. I usually lead them on and then call them out as a spammer. They get mad and hang up. Hearing them curse with that accent is hilarious.
You mean this accent?

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:35 PM   #21
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
how can you be sure it's spam and not some person you know who's not on your contacts list?
I'm married with two kids. I have no friends.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:38 AM   #22
Koenig
He wo hitte

Koenig once held a door open for a complete strangerKoenig once held a door open for a complete strangerKoenig once held a door open for a complete stranger

I've been getting a **** ton of them lately too but my carrier is actually flagging them so they are showing up on my screen as "Spam Risk".

屁をひつて尻窄め "Breaking wind, closing buttocks" - Japanese Proverb

www.angelman.org
www.cureangelman.org
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2021, 08:04 PM   #23
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyko View Post
You mean this accent?

LOL that's actually a Trinidadian accent. Gerry Bednob is the actor and has a thick Trini accent there.

Them scam calls though, they sound more like this

Old Jan 20, 2021, 08:30 PM   #24
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Man this guy is hilarious, more people should do this

Old Jan 21, 2021, 03:22 PM   #25
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Not a problem if you own a Pixel. Never rings for known spammers and the Google Assistant can screen calls for you:

GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2021, 03:44 PM   #26
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

Pixel + Fi here. In the last year, google has really stepped up their game when they started straight blocking known spammers. Anything that gets through with a number I don't recognize gets screened, and promptly blocked after that.

All in all, spam calls that actually manage to get through have been pretty rare compared to a year ago. Get maybe one or two a week that actually ring the phone.

Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2021, 06:19 PM   #27
Canesfan2020
Radeon Sea Islands

Canesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCanesfan2020 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I got one today that left a voice mail of music playing and some foreign language. Maybe chinese.
Canesfan2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2021, 07:49 PM   #28
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Not a problem if you own a Pixel. Never rings for known spammers and the Google Assistant can screen calls for you:

are there any apps similar to this for iphone? I'd even be willing to pay for this...
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:32 PM   #29
dodger
Doggy

Your carrier might have something. Verizon has a free level and a plus tier if you use their app

https://www.verizon.com/support/call-filter-faqs/

The very bottom of the above mentions something about silencing specifically junk callers

To turn off spam blocking for iOS devices, follow one of the options below:

Turn off Silence Junk Callers by going to device Settings > Phone > Call Blocking & Identification > Silence Junk Callers.

I don't have this option maybe because I'm on a prepaid not associated with Verizon or because I don't have the app or its something carrier related. Just something else to look for.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 06:20 AM   #30
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

i use an extreme high pitched whistle, works like a charm. There's nothing better than hearing the panicking scream on the other end of the line.....

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it" *Robin Williams*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote