Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jan 16, 2021, 03:32 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Default Galaxy S21

https://www.samsung.com/us/smartphones/galaxy-s21-5g/

Gotta say glad I got the Note 20 and didn't wait for this.

No charger isn't that big of a issue as I have tons of them anyway, but no Micro SD slot, can get ****ed on that one.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 06:50 AM   #2
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The micro SD slot was one of the main advantages over Apple imo...I would just as soon grab the 20 instead.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 09:37 AM   #3
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

the s21 is in almost every aspect a huge step back, dunno what they thought when building this crappy device. Well, whatever.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 16, 2021, 09:40 AM   #4
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Probably why they called it the S21, to say "well it's not a generational jump, but it does have a faster CPU/GPU" etc etc

The S21+ is a **** deal this time, just to force people to buy the more expensive Ultra model.

I hope this phone backfires, especially the lack of Micro SD slot, there's litteraly NO REASON why it couldn't have one, otherwise the s20 will be my last Samsung phone.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 09:58 AM   #5
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

They're following Apple's lead on the lack of SD slot and charger. That's reason enough for me to ignore it.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 10:36 AM   #6
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
They're following Apple's lead on the lack of SD slot and charger. That's reason enough for me to ignore it.
I feel the same way until they teased the next note without the camera punch-out hole. When I think about it kinda feels like Samsung is going backward. The note line was supposed to be a no-compromise swiss army knife device. We know they're gonna put a 4500Mah and drop the microSD. They have still time to listen to their customers.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 12:44 PM   #7
KAC
:rolleyes:

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Who keeps buying these gay ass phones. Some of the colors are horrible.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 01:48 PM   #8
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
I feel the same way until they teased the next note without the camera punch-out hole. When I think about it kinda feels like Samsung is going backward. The note line was supposed to be a no-compromise swiss army knife device. We know they're gonna put a 4500Mah and drop the microSD. They have still time to listen to their customers.
Does anyone still do that?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 04:39 PM   #9
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Does anyone still do that?
Me I'm afraid Just pre ordered the S21 didn't even see any reviews or anything. I'm on the Samsung upgrade programme so just pay 10% deposit and my monthly amount came down £3.00 per month. Each year I can just upgrade it's great.

Send S20 back and it pays off that contract. Sad about the micro SD slot but I can live without it. Don't need a charger I've got a wireless one thank you.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 08:35 PM   #10
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Me I'm afraid Just pre ordered the S21 didn't even see any reviews or anything. I'm on the Samsung upgrade programme so just pay 10% deposit and my monthly amount came down £3.00 per month. Each year I can just upgrade it's great.

Send S20 back and it pays off that contract. Sad about the micro SD slot but I can live without it. Don't need a charger I've got a wireless one thank you.
Let us know what you think of it. I still haven't found anything worth letting go of my note 8. Some great devices out there, but nothing compelling enough...yet..
Old Jan 16, 2021, 08:57 PM   #11
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Let us know what you think of it. I still haven't found anything worth letting go of my note 8. Some great devices out there, but nothing compelling enough...yet..
Are you using the latest firmware with one UI? If you are do notice any annoying bugs?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
Old Jan 17, 2021, 06:18 AM   #12
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Are you using the latest firmware with one UI? If you are do notice any annoying bugs?
I'm not sure tbh...under software it says I'm still running Android 9, but I could have swore I installed 10 I never thought to look until you asked lol. It's One UI version 1. No bugs at all really. Everything works smoothly.

It says the latest versions are installed and up to date....
Old Jan 17, 2021, 12:44 PM   #13
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:

if you're really eager to go the samsung (s21) route, get the ultra, it at least has decent specs.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2021, 02:54 PM   #14
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I was in the Android 11 beta progamme and never had any issues. Now running Android 11, UI 3.0 on my S20. Everything is great TBH.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Jan 17, 2021, 03:03 PM   #15
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
if you're really eager to go the samsung (s21) route, get the ultra, it at least has decent specs.
It's £400 more and I don't like big phones like 6.8" TBH. The wife bought the iPhone 12 Max Pro and she loves it but to me it's hideous, too big. I bought and just received the Spigen Tough Armor case for S21 and it even fits my S20 but obscures the flash.

I've only used 3.9GB of 128gb flash drive so not going to miss it. With the case on won't see the back so not bothered. I bought the Spigen Slim Armor for my S20 so don't see the back of that either. I've also used the S20 at FHD+ 120hz from day one so not bothered about that either. I think anything higher than that is not noticeable on a phone IMHO.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 03:27 PM   #16
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Then it's more of a sidegrade than a uprade, and probably not even one you'd notice.

Same screen albiet lower res, same camera setup, same battery, faster CPU but something you'd probably not notice, and no Micro SD slot.

In some ways I'd call that a upgrade and a downgrade packaged into one.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 05:16 PM   #17
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Then it's more of a sidegrade than a uprade, and probably not even one you'd notice.

Same screen albiet lower res, same camera setup, same battery, faster CPU but something you'd probably not notice, and no Micro SD slot.

In some ways I'd call that a upgrade and a downgrade packaged into one.
Upgrade, side grade or down grade I'm not really bothered. Let's see how it works out.

Last edited by LordHawkwind : Jan 18, 2021 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 20, 2021, 04:01 PM   #18
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Sat in my study and turned around to look at the bookshelves and first thing I saw was two Samsung fast charger plugs Can't remember last time I used them but just plugged my S20 in and it's way faster than my wireless charger. Don't think I need another one really I can live without it.

Having bought the S20 I also bought a audio jack to USB-C cable for my Sennheiser over ear headphones and it sounds great. With the S21 I get some free Galaxy Buds Live so let's see what they sound like. Looking forward to it.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 08:22 AM   #19
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Lack of charger or ear buds isn't a huge issue, lack of micro sd card is a big issue. I can understand that from a environmental perspective for those who have many chargers or ear buds, though it's obviously cost cutting.

It maybe not for you, but it's beyond anti consumer. There's litterealy zero reason to not have it, they have the dual sim slot like the s20 yet for some reason suddenly that slot only takes sim cards.

It's a ploy to get people to spend 200-300 more for larger sizes and that's it.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 09:35 AM   #20
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
Lack of charger or ear buds isn't a huge issue, lack of micro sd card is a big issue. I can understand that from a environmental perspective for those who have many chargers or ear buds, though it's obviously cost cutting.

It maybe not for you, but it's beyond anti consumer. There's litterealy zero reason to not have it, they have the dual sim slot like the s20 yet for some reason suddenly that slot only takes sim cards.

No one ever complains about having a MicroSD slot. It's BS to remove it because people would pay to keep it. Even people don't use it they can get away charging people for it.

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Jan 21, 2021, 05:56 PM   #21
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

It's very puzzling for them to remove it. I wonder if the Note will receive the same thing happen. Given that at the moment, only the Note Ultra still has it.

MKBHD's review of the S21 Ultra

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2021, 08:49 PM   #22
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
It's very puzzling for them to remove it. I wonder if the Note will receive the same thing happen. Given that at the moment, only the Note Ultra still has it.

MKBHD's review of the S21 Ultra
Iceuniverse a well-known Samsung leakster on Twitter hint no more note line. I very confused if there is one this year. Samsung teased a note without a front camera during the unpack.

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Jan 22, 2021, 02:21 PM   #23
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:

It's obviously cost cutting to remove the Micro SD slot but I can use the card in one my cameras so more RAW pictures so not too bad. TBH the wife calls me the cable and charger guy because I never throw them away I've got a whole cabinet draw full Probably a good idea to not give me any more. It's second in my lock down list of jobs to clear the draw but it's just so hard to get rid of them

Remember the S21 is about £150 cheaper than my S20 so I can live with the compromises.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 02:57 PM   #24
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
It's obviously cost cutting to remove the Micro SD slot but I can use the card in one my cameras so more RAW pictures so not too bad. TBH the wife calls me the cable and charger guy because I never throw them away I've got a whole cabinet draw full Probably a good idea to not give me any more. It's second in my lock down list of jobs to clear the draw but it's just so hard to get rid of them

Remember the S21 is about £150 cheaper than my S20 so I can live with the compromises.
I doubt it for cutting cost. They can easily pass the cost to consumers without pushback. The s21 has double Sim but it disabled for the US. Does make sense to you? Every US model has physical hardware to support it but it's DISABLED. I have Samsung's microSD I would like to use. It probably cost Samsung peanuts to include it.

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Jan 23, 2021, 02:08 PM   #25
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Who cares about additional storage anymore? I sure don't, if it's a big deal get the 256 or 512. I have a note10+ and will be upgrading to the s21 ultra, looks awesome.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Old Jan 23, 2021, 03:51 PM   #26
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
Who cares about additional storage anymore? I sure don't, if it's a big deal get the 256 or 512. I have a note10+ and will be upgrading to the s21 ultra, looks awesome.

File hoarders care - my 512gb is almost full.

Current Desktop [2016]

Last edited by 0091/2 : Jan 23, 2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 06:16 PM   #27
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
My 512gb is almost full.
A quote from Android Police review of all S21 versions.."For most people, the base Galaxy S21 is the phone to get. It has all the important features and hardware from the S21+ and S21 Ultra, but at a more attractive $800 starting price." Obviously just their opinion.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 07:19 PM   #28
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I just checked my Note 10+ that has 256gb -- 20gb of photos, 30gb of videos and another 8gb of audio.

I stream all music, podcasts and video. I take piles of photos and I have loads of room. Nerds whining about cords, cable jacks, earbuds and SD cards. Most people don't care.

Old Jan 23, 2021, 07:47 PM   #29
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

It's mostly the photo and video people? If you take tons of video and photos and like to work on them outside the phone.... having the SD card just makes dealing with them easier for allot of peoples work flows.

Personally. I'm the same way switch. Taken a lost of photos and vids, plenty of space left on my S9+ with 128gb of space between the internal and SD card. If I just had more internal space, I wouldn't care. I also don't use SD cards in my workflow very often, so again... not really affected.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2021, 09:03 PM   #30
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
I just checked my Note 10+ that has 256gb -- 20gb of photos, 30gb of videos and another 8gb of audio.

I stream all music, podcasts and video. I take piles of photos and I have loads of room. Nerds whining about cords, cable jacks, earbuds and SD cards. Most people don't care.

Obviously, People who didn't invest in those things wouldn't miss it. I did invest in those things. I have 7yrs old earphones I would like to use with it. Bluetooth is fine for music but not so much for videos because audio goes out of sync. I have a solution that met my needs so I'm not whining about the missing jack.

There's no way around the SD card. Samsung doesn't offer more than 512gb. I'm disappointed it's not Ultra enough. They offered 1tb on the s10+. This year Samsung is cutting corners wanting people to use cloud services. Cloud services aren't dependable for me.

Current Desktop [2016]