Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:04 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

AMD AMD CES 2021 live stream

LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:23 AM   #2
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

-5800U is a 15w laptop monster (RIP M1)
LG 43UD79-B
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:46 AM   #3
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Looks like the mid range 6700xt got pushed to Q2. Emphasis is on laptops this time...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:52 AM   #4
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Looks like the mid range 6700xt got pushed to Q2. Emphasis is on laptops this time...
Ya she teased 6000 mobile Radeon and 6700 desktop, but nothing much else.

Basically Epyc 3 and Ryzen 3 mobile and a lot of pointless interviews.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:19 AM   #5
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

pointless to us as enthusiasts not pointless to the world stage and investors. Epyc and mobile are where AMD needs to start pushing to grab market share. and showing partnerships with OEMs is a big part of that.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:32 AM   #6
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
pointless to us as enthusiasts not pointless to the world stage and investors. Epyc and mobile are where AMD needs to start pushing to grab market share. and showing partnerships with OEMs is a big part of that.
True, it was exciting to learn about the 5000 mobile. Will be looking at one to buy.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:32 AM   #7
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Nvidia stream right after showed the 3060 *12 gb* which makes the 3080 look stupid and the 3060ti even worse. But at least they launched something surprisingly no 3080ti...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:35 AM   #8
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
Nvidia stream right after showed the 3060 *12 gb* which makes the 3080 look stupid and the 3060ti even worse. But at least they launched something surprisingly no 3080ti...
$329 was the best part. Maybe that means we can get a 6700 for $299 or less.

Other than that, their live stream was even more boring.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Jan 12, 2021, 12:13 PM   #9
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeil View Post
$329 was the best part. Maybe that means we can get a 6700 for $299 or less.

Other than that, their live stream was even more boring.
more likely the 6700xt is targeting the 3060ti and if AMD is between the 3060ti and 3070 in terms of performance I would expect it to be priced in between as well. I could see a 6700 being between the 3060 and 3060 ti being priced around the 3060

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

Old Jan 12, 2021, 03:34 PM   #10
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I'm still considering a laptop. I'm truly hoping we see companies like Lenovo and Dell start taking AMD seriously in the laptop market..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2021, 04:52 PM   #11
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
It makes the 3060 12GB look stupid, there is absolutely no reason for that card to have that much VRAM!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2021, 05:14 PM   #12
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
How does a 3060 with 12GB of GDDR6 make the 3080 with 10GB of GDDR6X look stupid?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2021, 05:38 PM   #13
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

I think it would be better to say it makes Nvidia look confusing. They gimped 3070 (and less extent 3080) ram size Those cards are going to need more ram than that as time goes on. But here is a mid range card with more ram than them but may never make full use of it.

Basically, they should have had more ram to begin with, especially if you are paying over 500 Mäuse.

I would not mind saying though the 3070 is pretty stupid.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:03 PM   #14
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Ya the 3070 even worse but imo the 3060 can do some gameplay at 1440p so the added ram, tho a bit more than needed, is welcome compared to the 8 gigs on the 3070.

They could have put more than 10 gb on the 3080... Its def not a good choice.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jan 13, 2021, 12:44 AM   #15
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

They benchmarked the time with every section and how borring was this keynote.So fun.

Old Jan 14, 2021, 03:12 PM   #16
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
If you look at post CES interviews both Nvidia and AMD were quoting H2 2021 before GPU supply might be able to meet demand so any thoughts of a 6950XTX are pretty much dead in the water till at least Q3/Q4 if not Q1 2022. This just pushes RDNA3 further to maybe earliest end of 2022. Just my 2c's worth.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2021, 05:03 PM   #17
pax
Rage3D Spammer

I doubt that I mean intel just signed up with TSMC for i3 cpus fabbed on 5nm end of this year with availability probably early 2022. Theres no way amd will be behind the ball that far.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jan 15, 2021, 04:03 PM   #18
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
I doubt that I mean intel just signed up with TSMC for i3 cpus fabbed on 5nm end of this year with availability probably early 2022. Theres no way amd will be behind the ball that far.
Those are CPU's Pax AMD will be ahead of Intel at TSMC for sure for CPU's. This thread is about GPU's and they seem to be quite low on AMD's list of priorities at the moment.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Jan 15, 2021, 05:38 PM   #19
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Those are CPU's Pax AMD will be ahead of Intel at TSMC for sure for CPU's. This thread is about GPU's and they seem to be quite low on AMD's list of priorities at the moment.

do they

how long from when TSMC makes a wafer and gives it to AMD does it take to go from wafer to GPU's to cards ?
a month or two

sure to the point of release date they were doing mostly ps5's and xbox's so it would take some time to switch over and chips to get into cards

and no Sony and M$ won't get everything .

AMD will make it's own stuff also and Sony and M$ will just have to wait

i think next month AMD cards and CPU's will start freeing up and be fair by mid March
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 12:25 AM   #20
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Its all silicon man and fabbing a gpu is not that much diff than fabbing a cpu. If intel can fab 5nm this fall for its low end cpus Im sure amd will fab its high end gpus by then as they have a deeper relationship with TSMC than intel does.

Intel is just trying to use TSMC as a short term fix. Whereas AMD is a large and growing long term customer.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jan 16, 2021, 07:56 AM   #21
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Pax not saying you're wrong but TSMC does not care about relationships, they want to get paid and Intel is still a big player with plenty of cash.

What we need is a competitor to TSMC, preferably in NA America. If China decides to take back Taiwan our hobby is toast.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 03:08 PM   #22
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Subscriber

EU and China are moving to develop their own fabs with a goal of being live by mid 2020s

Old Jan 16, 2021, 03:45 PM   #23
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
EU and China are moving to develop their own fabs with a goal of being live by mid 2020s
We better do the same.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 04:11 PM   #24
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Its all silicon man and fabbing a gpu is not that much diff than fabbing a cpu. If intel can fab 5nm this fall for its low end cpus Im sure amd will fab its high end gpus by then as they have a deeper relationship with TSMC than intel does.

Intel is just trying to use TSMC as a short term fix. Whereas AMD is a large and growing long term customer.
This is from Caveman jim who knows more than we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Longer supply chain for GPUs vs CPUs means it takes longer to ramp
See not the same.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 10:11 PM   #25
pax
Rage3D Spammer

End 2022 is pushing it tho. I think caveman meant ramp once production is underway. So theres low availability at first and more later. Not that production is delayed a whole year.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jan 17, 2021, 02:10 PM   #26
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
End 2022 is pushing it tho. I think caveman meant ramp once production is underway. So theres low availability at first and more later. Not that production is delayed a whole year.
Pax, Lisa Su has gone on record saying they are launching 6xxx GPU's through the stack. So the 6700XT, 6700, 6600XT, 6600 and even a 6500 are on the way. This is AMD's bread and butter and they aren't going to give it up. Nvidia are looking at RTX3060 and RTX3050 launches and the mid range is where the big bucks are.

RDNA3 will be a halo card launching into a market where AMD have currently 0% penetration. It's not a priority given the current supply/demand for GPU's. Same goes for Nvidia. Both companies are in in the market to make money not to please enthusiasts.

AMD have been on a two year refresh for a long time. I bought my 5700XT in August 2019 so if the 6700XT launches August 2021 (H1 2021 just) job done. That's just how big corporations work I'm afraid.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 09:42 PM   #27
pax
Rage3D Spammer

0% is a bit 'much' as some latest numbers show them selling every gpu they can make.

One big european retailer showed them at ~40% vs nvidia 60%.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jan 18, 2021, 02:46 PM   #28
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
0% is a bit 'much' as some latest numbers show them selling every gpu they can make.

One big european retailer showed them at ~40% vs nvidia 60%.
Pax I'm talking about the ENTHUSIAST segment. The market is roughly split into Enthusiast, high end, mid-range and entry level. By AMD's own admission the 6900/6800XT are their first enthusiast cards for a long time. All their market share is spread amongst the other three segments.

If you haven't produced an enthusiast card for a long time by definition your market share is 0%. This is the first time AMD have actually launched cards that can compete with Nvidia's best the 3080/3090 for well over a decade. Look how many ragers own a 6800/6900 (like 2) and how many own a 3080 or 3090? I get the supply issues and Nvidia has had a two months lead time.

Probably 99% of the enthusiast segment who have always bought Nvidia cards wouldn't switch to AMD because they've never owned one in the recent past and there are enough stories around concerning the true or untrue driver issues. AMD have a big hill to climb to get any traction in this segment which is why they've struggled with supply as they completely underestimated the demand from people who are now buying just about anything that gets produced which no one would have foreseen 12 months ago.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:27 AM   #29
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Longer supply chain for GPUs vs CPUs means it takes longer to ramp
This is from Caveman jim who knows more than we do.

See not the same.
Quote:
I do believe Mr.Caveman was referring to the entire process to get a GPU to market. So no, it's not the same. But it also has less to do with TSMC and more to do with getting the GPU's to OEM's and everything they have to do to make a graphics card and get it to market.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:30 PM   #30
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Found it! While this is one retailer it does show amd having a presence at the high end with the latest gpu gen at least:

https://www.reddit.com/r/realAMD/com...pu_sales_3585/

Quote:
Mindfactory
Total Gaming GPU Sales Week 3
Nvidia Units 2145 = 59.83%
Radeon Units 1440 = 40.17%

Radeon Top 5 Selling Brand Lines!

1) RX 6900XT = 410 Units.

2) RX 6800XT = 395 Units.

3) RX 6800 = 205 Units

4) RX 5700XT = 160 Units.

5) RX 580 = 120 Units.

Nvidia Top 5 Selling Brand Lines!

1) RTX 3070 8GB = 790 Units.

2) RTX 3060 TI = 410 Units

3) GTX 1650 = 350 Units.

4) GTX 1660 Super = 220 Units.

5) RTX 3090 24GB = 175 Units.

www.realitysandwich.com