Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Jul 9, 2020, 03:51 PM   #331
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
The encounter is pretty easy because there aren’t that many of them. Just be sure and use the environment to your advantage and you can take them down easy.
Sounds like a plan
Old Jul 9, 2020, 06:54 PM   #332
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Hit the Abby/Ellie confrontation in the theater, and out of the stadium as Abby.

Interesting story telling for sure. I love that they seemingly spared no detail fleshing out the main characters.

Oh - Boomers/shamblers and runners in small rooms suck donkey balls.

That is all.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 06:59 PM   #333
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

SD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Hit the Abby/Ellie confrontation in the theater, and out of the stadium as Abby.

Interesting story telling for sure. I love that they seemingly spared no detail fleshing out the main characters.

Oh - Boomers/shamblers and runners in small rooms suck donkey balls.

That is all.
Ah, you hit that part that forced me to drop my difficulty down. I hated that mess... Plus, all those classic arcade consoles that were destroyed. That hurt as much as the runners smacking me in the face.

And, yes that is the big story telling twist I was talking about. Not sure any game has ever dug in so deeply into a single conflict the way this one does. You are moving faster through the game. It looks like your gaming time is going up. Hope it is because you are feeling better...
SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 9, 2020, 07:11 PM   #334
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Ah, you hit that part that forced me to drop my difficulty down. I hated that mess... Plus, all those classic arcade consoles that were destroyed. That hurt as much as the runners smacking me in the face.

And, yes that is the big story telling twist I was talking about. Not sure any game has ever dug in so deeply into a single conflict the way this one does. You are moving faster through the game. It looks like your gaming time is going up. Hope it is because you are feeling better...
Thanks SD, much appreciated. I may be off for the night after that last run though. After seeing how they're handling this I really want to see where it's going to go. I cannot remember any game that has gone this route either.

And to be brutally honest, some of Ellie's sheer bloodlust getting to this part made me cringe a little. I just couldn't help but think "holy crap, she's really the bad guy!" once or twice

So yes, I'm invested in this now lol. From the arcade games (RIP ) all the way to Ellie and Abby.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 11:03 PM   #335
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Finally he sees the light.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2020, 01:14 AM   #336
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I just couldn't help but think "holy crap, she's really the bad guy!" once or twice
I love that Naughty Dog doesn't do bad guys vs good guys with The Last of Us. The Fireflies weren't the enemy in the first game, Joel wasn't the hero of that story, Abby is neither hero or nemesis in TLOU2, and the same goes for Ellie.

The player is forced to accept that people have their own motivations, their own stories, their own backgrounds, and that the best they can do is live with their own decisions. The ruins of Seattle, Philadelphia and Salt Lake mirror the state of morality in this world.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 06:13 AM   #337
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Finally he sees the light.
I don't recall ever seeing you so all in with any game before lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonha View Post
I love that Naughty Dog doesn't do bad guys vs good guys with The Last of Us. The Fireflies weren't the enemy in the first game, Joel wasn't the hero of that story, Abby is neither hero or nemesis in TLOU2, and the same goes for Ellie.

The player is forced to accept that people have their own motivations, their own stories, their own backgrounds, and that the best they can do is live with their own decisions. The ruins of Seattle, Philadelphia and Salt Lake mirror the state of morality in this world.
It's just a personal feeling, but I would wager that the people most able to honestly confront their own bias will most enjoy this game for what it is.

At this point, not having finished the game yet, the only other thing I will say is that I'm so glad all of the "Leaked" garbage about the game turned out to be just that, garbage.

Hopefully I can get a couple more hours in today
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:41 AM   #338
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Keep pushing through the game. There is tons to see and do and story is picking up if you are now the Ox.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:49 PM   #339
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Keep pushing through the game. There is tons to see and do and story is picking up if you are now the Ox.
The Ox It fits lol. I am loving picking apart scars with her. Now I have to see how she gets out of the mess she just landed in.

EDIT: Abby's escape from the scar, I remember that from an early teaser release and thought it was Ellie.

That was insanely intense, and the visuals at night in the rain, with the torches - That was way too short and is now one of my favorite parts of the game.

Oh **** I think I'm all in with the Ox now She's a badass

Last edited by Lazy8s : Jul 10, 2020 at 01:26 PM.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2020, 01:57 PM   #340
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

SD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
The Ox It fits lol. I am loving picking apart scars with her. Now I have to see how she gets out of the mess she just landed in.

EDIT: Abby's escape from the scar, I remember that from an early teaser release and thought it was Ellie.

That was insanely intense, and the visuals at night in the rain, with the torches - That was way too short and is now one of my favorite parts of the game.

Oh **** I think I'm all in with the Ox now She's a badass
I wished they never leaked that footage. It was so intense and should have been first discovered playing the game. The first playthrough, I didn't invest heavily in melee skills. From some of the gameplay videos I've watched that was a mistake as she can do serious melee damage and scenes like the one you just played demand it.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 02:15 PM   #341
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I wished they never leaked that footage. It was so intense and should have been first discovered playing the game. The first playthrough, I didn't invest heavily in melee skills. From some of the gameplay videos I've watched that was a mistake as she can do serious melee damage and scenes like the one you just played demand it.
Abby being saved by the Scar children wasn't leaked, it was a trailer. It'd been so long ago I only vaguely remembered the scene being gruesome, didn't remember any specifics.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 02:32 PM   #342
KAC
That postcount though...

Make sure you invest in momentum. That’s the way to get the Ox to ram idiots.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 02:32 PM   #343
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonha View Post
Abby being saved by the Scar children wasn't leaked, it was a trailer. It'd been so long ago I only vaguely remembered the scene being gruesome, didn't remember any specifics.
Same here. I don't recall any details about who was doing what to who from that teaser, just that it displayed some incredible visuals.

I dumped points into melee because appearances I went into Abby's character not knowing if her obvious musculature and strength would play a roll or not, but it sure seems it does.

I have to admit I love how they're playing this out. Ellie the more headstrong, dangerous and yet childish waif type and Abby, the more mature, incredibly capable and dangerous, yet still quite able to show compassion, even for her enemies...

I know where the current encounter is going, but that's become secondary now to how they play out each character's story. Loving it
Old Jul 10, 2020, 02:33 PM   #344
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Make sure you invest in momentum. That’s the way to get the Ox to ram idiots.
That sounds like fun
Old Jul 10, 2020, 02:34 PM   #345
KAC
That postcount though...

It is fun especially with those mother****ing stalkers and bashing their heads in. I hate them with a passion.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 02:47 PM   #346
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
It is fun especially with those mother****ing stalkers and bashing their heads in. I hate them with a passion.
Yeah you and me both man. I'm very much looking forward to paying some of that grief back.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 02:54 PM   #347
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

Quote:
Agreed, the only good stalker is a dead stalker. A very dead one... Lazy lapped me on my second play through, need to get back into it this weekend...Only 7 days left until Ghosts of Tsushima.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 03:55 PM   #348
Lazy8s
One day at a time

One thing - I need a higher quality TV. This game particularly is making the 60hz refresh very apparent to me. It's really uncomfortable in some spots, and that's something I've never been sensitive to before.

I don't want to cough up for an OLED right now, but that Q70/Q80r Samsungs are looking pretty sweet. Reviews say console gaming is a solid experience.

I might start shopping...
Old Jul 10, 2020, 08:32 PM   #349
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Went across the skybridge and back to the hospital through that hotel with Lev - holy heck f you NaughtyDog

That was intense - this keeps getting better and better
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:51 PM   #350
KAC
That postcount though...

You liked the hospital visit. Probably less enjoyable than your op. lol.

Q70R is fantastic. Q80R has two upgrades including a reflections reducing film and HDR 1500 vs HDR 1000. In dark room it will rarely matter.

If you are buying the new ones don’t buy anything less than a Q80T which is technically successor of Q70R.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 01:47 AM   #351
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

Quote:
One thing - I need a higher quality TV. This game particularly is making the 60hz refresh very apparent to me. It's really uncomfortable in some spots, and that's something I've never been sensitive to before.

I don't want to cough up for an OLED right now, but that Q70/Q80r Samsungs are looking pretty sweet. Reviews say console gaming is a solid experience.

I might start shopping...
I have the Q70 and it does have pretty advanced Game Mode that really tends to eliminate all of the disadvantages of using a TV. Plus HDR implementation is really nice. An OLED would obviously have much better image quality. I can't comment on how well they handle input lag and whether they can refresh as fast as an LED would. But they sure do look pretty. (except the price tag part of them). Not sure if jumping up to an Q80 or Q90 from Samsung is really worth it or not. Probably better for watching 4K movie content. But my old eyes can't really see that much different or not. When I found a 65 inch Q70 for under $1K it seemed to good to pass up. Been very happy with all of the features and image quality. I came from a nice Panasonic Plasma. Not a downgrade in any way. It turned out to be an upgrade in every way. I am very happy with it.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 03:14 AM   #352
KAC
That postcount though...

Q70R is quite comparable to the OLED I have. In gaming definitely it is an improvement over KS9500 that I had but the OLED does it much better.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 05:41 AM   #353
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Great tips on the TVs guys, thank you I think I'll hunt up a good deal on the Q70 or Q80s and go from there.

On this game...have I ever mentioned how much I hate hospitals? I made it to the ambulance and just screw this guy all to hades and back Hit=die/dodge=die/shoot=die. I had to break for a bit, but I'm guessing this is a run away and fight somewhere else kind of encounter?

I REALLY hate hospitals
Old Jul 11, 2020, 07:23 AM   #354
Jay20016
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Great tips on the TVs guys, thank you I think I'll hunt up a good deal on the Q70 or Q80s and go from there.

On this game...have I ever mentioned how much I hate hospitals? I made it to the ambulance and just screw this guy all to hades and back Hit=die/dodge=die/shoot=die. I had to break for a bit, but I'm guessing this is a run away and fight somewhere else kind of encounter?

I REALLY hate hospitals
Pipe bombs are your friend. That and you just need to really get the environment down because you'll be running around quickly trying to escape. Try to make it follow you to the room with the door and the window, even on Hard I was able to get it to path through some areas to give myself just enough room for an exit. Just try and avoid dead ends.

I got to this point at like 2AM one day with everyone in the house asleep and I have never wanted to scream so much in my life at a game before...

Feels good when you get it done though. Not too much more to go.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2020, 07:53 AM   #355
KAC
That postcount though...

Haha Lazy. Now you like them hospitals.

Remember to squeeze through and keep hunting for supplies. Bomb this monstrosity to kingdom come and then take out some shotgun rounds on his fat ass. Needless to say if you are using assault then aim for the heads.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 08:28 AM   #356
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay20016 View Post
Pipe bombs are your friend. That and you just need to really get the environment down because you'll be running around quickly trying to escape. Try to make it follow you to the room with the door and the window, even on Hard I was able to get it to path through some areas to give myself just enough room for an exit. Just try and avoid dead ends.

I got to this point at like 2AM one day with everyone in the house asleep and I have never wanted to scream so much in my life at a game before...

Feels good when you get it done though. Not too much more to go.

Quote:
Haha Lazy. Now you like them hospitals.

Remember to squeeze through and keep hunting for supplies. Bomb this monstrosity to kingdom come and then take out some shotgun rounds on his fat ass. Needless to say if you are using assault then aim for the heads.
Thanks guys - I have a new most hated boss fight and you gents tips are exactly what worked. I might want to groan or let out a "COME ON" at other fights, but this bastard had me grinding my teeth and thinking of words I forgot I even knew

I really hope that's the only one. My heart can't deal with that crap
Old Jul 11, 2020, 01:59 PM   #357
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

You made it past the Rat King? You are moving pretty fast now! There is no way I am going back into that encounter on my second playthrough at Hard+ difficulty. I still have PTSD from the first time!
Old Jul 11, 2020, 02:10 PM   #358
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
You made it past the Rat King? You are moving pretty fast now! There is no way I am going back into that encounter on my second playthrough at Hard+ difficulty. I still have PTSD from the first time!
I get it, I really do! I'm not doing that on survivor difficulty. Nope. I literally jarred the heck out of my bad shoulder during that encounter, been icing it all day. SCREW that thing

I have to be close to the end now. Lots of thoughts to post after end game

Abby just contacted the Fireflies and Ellie is on her way.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 08:11 PM   #359
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

Quote:
I get it, I really do! I'm not doing that on survivor difficulty. Nope. I literally jarred the heck out of my bad shoulder during that encounter, been icing it all day. SCREW that thing

Yeah you are getting close to the end. I think you shouldn't be swinging that giant pick axe with your bad shoulder. Stick to pipes and wrenches....
Old Jul 11, 2020, 08:26 PM   #360
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

Quote:

Let the game sink in a bit after you completed it before writing a final review. The ending can you leaves you a little conflicted. You probably already feel it. I think that was Naughty Dogs intention. To me some of the genius of the game is how they can drive some of the same emotions that the characters in the game are experiencing directly to the player. Enjoy smashing some snakes!!