Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old May 14, 2020, 04:32 PM   #751
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I think the game is changing and you can meld compute and gaming together more with the use of Tensor cores for driving RTX. At least on NV's side, it may be more efficient.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2020, 07:12 PM   #752
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
NVIDIA Ditches Intel Xeon, Goes All Onboard With AMD’s EPYC CPUs With Next-Gen Ampere GPUs
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-ditches-...n-ampere-gpus/

poor Intel
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2020, 09:46 PM   #753
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
Actually it's poor Nvidia, what would happen if both amd and Intel have their own competitive complete package for cpu and GPU in that HPC market? With who Nvidia can partner to sell their limited hardware?

It's not even if anymore, it's a matter of when.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 14, 2020, 10:41 PM   #754
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
TSMC Is Planning To Open Fab In US Which Will Produce 5nm Chips & Is Expected To Be Operational By 2023
Quote:
A few days ago, it was reinforced that TSMC would not be building a production facility in the United States, but a report released from the Wall Street Journal contradicts that statement, saying that TSMC is planning to build a facility in Arizona.

https://wccftech.com/tsmc-5nm-fab-plant-arizona-usa/
Old May 14, 2020, 11:55 PM   #755
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I dont see them making a gaming card over 600mm im expecting around 550mm^2

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2020, 01:59 AM   #756
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Any word when we'd see mobile Ampere chips?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2020, 08:54 AM   #757
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
Actually it's poor Nvidia, what would happen if both amd and Intel have their own competitive complete package for cpu and GPU in that HPC market? With who Nvidia can partner to sell their limited hardware?

It's not even if anymore, it's a matter of when.
Intel is already in the HPC market. So is AMD. These are just clustered, scalable computing packages, which can be composed of anything. You can have a farm of ARM mobile processors in an HPC package if you wanted.

Nvidia has a clear advantage in this segment that isn't going away any time soon, the more powerful the system is the less of it is needed to be scaled, thus saving in terms of cost, energy, etc.. To get the same parallel computing power out of lesser components you'd need to scale more of them, which means more cost, energy, etc..

The Tesla line of products for AI, simulations, scientific and financial applications, etc... has been very lucrative for Nvidia, its a big chunk of their business now. They get to choose who to pair up with their DGA systems, not the other way around.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2020, 09:49 AM   #758
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2020, 11:03 AM   #759
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Very weird design tbh. Fans on both side means many M2 slots will be blocked? This will toast your airflow won’t it?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:15 PM   #760
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

This picture makes the development look somewhat much earlier in design then AMD's Big Navi where the half picture AMD shows looks like its been done for a while and ready for retail.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:20 PM   #761
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:20 PM   #762
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

that looks like dog sh*t

RTX 3080 Fuggly edition
Old Jun 6, 2020, 03:16 PM   #763
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I always buy the initial xx80 card and then buy the TI version 3 weeks later...
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2020, 04:04 PM   #764
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
I always buy the initial xx80 card and then buy the TI version 3 weeks later...
He's not kidding! I've bought his xx80 afterwards.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2020, 07:19 PM   #765
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Going by the last link posted here. They are speculating 50% increase for the 3080 and 33% for the 3080Ti??? Looks like a 2080Ti is 14.2 Tflops.

Quote:
An RTX 2080 is currently a $699 MSRP card and outputs around 10 TFLOPs of graphics horsepower. If NVIDIA keeps pricing the same, this would mean the RTX 3080 becomes 50% more powerful at the same price.
Quote:
This also means that the RTX 3080 Ti flagship is shaping up to be a massive 18TFLOPs+ behemoth just based on these specifications alone - one which will ship with 21 Gbps GDDR6X memory.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 07:34 PM   #766
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

That card looks like a “developer kit”
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2020, 07:36 PM   #767
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Going by the last link posted here. They are speculating 50% increase for the 3080 and 33% for the 3080Ti??? Looks like a 2080Ti is 14.2 Tflops.
Quote:
If NVIDIA keeps pricing the same

chances of that very slim to none

my 1080 ti strix 779

my 2080 ti strix 1349

almost a 75% price increase last time

a 10% price increase would put the 3080 ti strix very close to 1499
Old Jun 6, 2020, 07:56 PM   #768
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

chances of that very slim to none

my 1080 ti strix 779

my 2080 ti strix 1349

almost a 75% price increase last time

a 10% price increase would put the 3080 ti strix very close to 1499
I think he's talking about speed, not price increase of 50%/33%.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2020, 08:26 PM   #769
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
I think he's talking about speed, not price increase of 50%/33%.
Yes, that's where I got my 50% figure from. I thought it was pretty clear, but Bill can't see anything but price in every single discussion.

Quote:
this would mean the RTX 3080 becomes 50% more powerful
Old Jun 6, 2020, 10:48 PM   #770
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Yes, that's where I got my 50% figure from. I thought it was pretty clear, but Bill can't see anything but price in every single discussion.
the about 33% speed is a given for the ti it is the same as last time
and the same number they have been touting for months

price is the only thing we don't know for sure
other than they could not scam TSMC on 7nm so it will be more and i said about 10% more in price not 50%

and the 3080 non ti for anyone that has a 2080 ti is meaningless
but will come in at about 10% faster than the 2080 ti

but keep dreaming of sugar plums and lollipops and NV giving us a fair price

Last edited by bill dennison : Jun 6, 2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:16 AM   #771
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
but keep dreaming of sugar plums and lollipops and NV giving us a fair price
What are you talking about? I never mentioned anything about price whatsoever.

Quote:
Bill can't see anything but price in every single discussion
You just can't help yourself.

Here are the only things I said.

Quote:
Quote:
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:53 AM   #772
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
What are you talking about? I never mentioned anything about price whatsoever.

You just can't help yourself.

Here are the only things I said.
your quote did

this one
Quote:
An RTX 2080 is currently a $699 MSRP card and outputs around 10 TFLOPs of graphics horsepower. If NVIDIA keeps pricing the same, this would mean the RTX 3080 becomes 50% more powerful at the same price.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 03:18 AM   #773
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Based on competitive market conditions we may see sugar plums and lollipops on pricing. History proves this when there is competition, company's fight to gain the customers' dollar by offering more value. It's like a perfect storm of gaming competition being forecast in the near future, which hopefully translates into sane pricing.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 03:23 AM   #774
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

If the 3080 is 33% faster than the 2080TI with RTX off, that will be incredibly impressive. That is a massive improvement over what we've seen the past 3 generations. The 3080TI could be assumed to be roughly 50-65% faster than the 2080TI then, before overclocking.

Gimme gimme gimme
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jun 7, 2020, 03:37 AM   #775
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I have serious doubts they would position the line-up like that. Then again, I suppose it's possible that they'll go back to the staggered release of 80 and 80 Ti. In that case the 3080 has to be a decent upgrade from the 2080 Ti, so that they can sell to the same people twice, six months apart. It could also be that they go first with the 3080 and hold the 3080 Ti back to counter Big Navi.

The only reason they released 2080 and 2080 Ti at the same time was that the 2080 wasn't even an upgrade from the 1080 Ti (well, RTX, but...), so they didn't really have much choice.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2020, 04:06 AM   #776
Nunz
RIP Roxen

If the 3080 is that much faster than the 2080TI, it will definitely be a staggered release. I'm thinking they'll wait for Big Navi to drop the 3080TI.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 04:21 AM   #777
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
If the 3080 is 33% faster than the 2080TI with RTX off, that will be incredibly impressive. That is a massive improvement over what we've seen the past 3 generations. The 3080TI could be assumed to be roughly 50-65% faster than the 2080TI then, before overclocking.

Gimme gimme gimme
Quote:
Since the RTX 3080 is speculated to ship with a GA102-200 core, this would mean that it actually houses 4352 CUDA cores. At a conservative clock speed of just 1.75GHz, which NVIDIA has easily achieved in the past, this would mean it will output 15 TFLOPs at the bare minimum
https://wccftech.com/nividias-rtx-30...52-cuda-cores/

Quote:
RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition – the most powerful consumer graphics card on the market right now – is capable of 14.2 teraflops
by all this " wccftech speculation " .8 more TFLOPs is not going to make the 3080 non ti 33% faster than the 2080 ti
maybe 5%

Quote:
NVIDIA Ampere GPUs
GA102 - 84 SMs / 5376 CUDA cores / 12GB GDDR6 / 384-bit bus - 40% faster than RTX 2080 Ti
GA103 - 60 SMs / 3840 CUDA cores / 10GB GDDR6 / 320-bit bus - 10% faster than RTX 2080 Ti
GA104 - 48 SMs / 3072 CUDA cores / 8GB GDDR6 / 256-bit bus - 5% slower than RTX 2080 Ti
Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/73012...ard/index.html

Last edited by bill dennison : Jun 7, 2020 at 04:30 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 04:42 AM   #778
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Depends. It's not all about TFLOPS, as has been made obvious by AMDs continued failures to make a competitive GPU.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 05:55 AM   #779
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Depends. It's not all about TFLOPS, as has been made obvious by AMDs continued failures to make a competitive GPU.
they were doing fine up to and including Fury X hitting a little faster than the non ti and below the ti but at a better price
when they put all their resources into Ryzen and that turned out very well i think they made the right call
but now they got the R&D cash to make a competitive GPU
hopefully as competitive as they are with Intel

and it maybe true when comparing AMD to NV
but not so much when comparing one NV gen to the last gen, RTX to RTX

and from all rumors so far it is the RTX side they put most of the improvements into

there were the same impossible rumors last time of 50% to 75% for the ti with the 2080 ti and the 1080 ti and on and on

and we almost always get 35% ti to ti
and the non ti is the same or just a little faster than last gen ti

Last edited by bill dennison : Jun 7, 2020 at 06:03 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 06:17 AM   #780
Nunz
RIP Roxen

They definitely were not doing fine. The Fury X might have put out sort of decent performance (still significantly slower), but it consumed crazy wattage and was a heat monster. That's not competitive. You roast Intel in every thread and they are at least very competitive in performance despite consuming more power. For some reason you don't see it that way when the shoe is on the other foot though..