Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:10 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'll take a corolla over any brand foreign or domestic. These cars will last a long time with no issues. Thats why they are more expensive than any comparable car of other brands
Old Dec 11, 2019, 02:01 AM   #32
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I would go Toyota or Honda if you want reliability, low maintenance and cheap parts and labor. Toyota would be cheaper than Honda. Nissan can eat a dick.

Also it you want American you can opt for Ford cars like Focus or Fiesta. Those are pretty good and possibly only American cars with good mileage.

I would still continue to hunt deals on Corollas.
My sis THE DOCTOR is stuck on bare bone Sentras. Shes had good luck with them. Better than the civic she had before the first of 2 long lived sentras. 10+ years each. But I think the last one she got wasnt made in Old Mexico so...

She literally bought a stick shift no ac no cruise sentra last time. Says she'd rather put her money in things that dont bleed it...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.1.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50a bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.1.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:31 AM   #33
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

People are making vast assumptions based on cars that haven't been made for years or making company wide judgements based on the worst cars of a generation that's long past.

Missing out on a lot of great cars by clutching your biases so tightly.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 11, 2019, 02:37 PM   #34
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Volvo is pretty solid and so are VW. Volvo's popularity has seemed to go up in the last few years; I notice a lot more of them on the road now, especially the SUV. They make some great vehicles.

I have no idea where you're getting this idea that VWs don't last, especially recent years as you said.
https://repairpal.com/reliability/volkswagen

https://repairpal.com/reliability/volvo

Not so good with above average operating costs. Their reliability is average, nothing special and seems to be about the same as Nissan. They aren't what they used to be 30 years ago when they used to make solid cars (same as Nissan).

I wouldn't buy one for a used car anyway.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2019, 03:44 PM   #35
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Who is repairpal, and why should we trust them? I only glanced at the site, so I'm honestly not sure.

Even if a car was average reliability, I'm not sure how that makes it a problem or a terrible car to make any effort to steer people away.

What you're basically saying is, "Don't buy that car, it's terrible! It's only as reliable as everyhing else!". If you're on the hunt for the most reliable car, that's a little different. But it still doesn't make the one in question actually bad.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 03:46 PM   #36
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
https://repairpal.com/reliability/volkswagen

https://repairpal.com/reliability/volvo

Not so good with above average operating costs. Their reliability is average, nothing special and seems to be about the same as Nissan. They aren't what they used to be 30 years ago when they used to make solid cars (same as Nissan).

I wouldn't buy one for a used car anyway.
You're basing all of that off one website? I dunno man. The Jetta, Passat, and Golf have been fantastic in terms of value and reliability. You're dogging Nissan really hard, but the Altima was an extremely reliable vehicle in the 2000s into the following decade; though I haven't followed them in a few years as none of their vehicles interest me.

Volvo has slowly built up the S60 line into a very solid vehicle; I think it's still overpriced but they've continued to add feature after feature to the base model that's made it a more enticing offer.

VWs are very popular in my area and most of the guys I know don't have many issues. One buddy had issues with the DSG in his 2013 GTI, but that is the only person I know who's ran into issues..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2019, 07:38 PM   #37
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
You're basing all of that off one website? I dunno man. The Jetta, Passat, and Golf have been fantastic in terms of value and reliability. You're dogging Nissan really hard, but the Altima was an extremely reliable vehicle in the 2000s into the following decade; though I haven't followed them in a few years as none of their vehicles interest me.

Volvo has slowly built up the S60 line into a very solid vehicle; I think it's still overpriced but they've continued to add feature after feature to the base model that's made it a more enticing offer.

VWs are very popular in my area and most of the guys I know don't have many issues. One buddy had issues with the DSG in his 2013 GTI, but that is the only person I know who's ran into issues..
Oh there are far more than just one website, there are youtube videos, other sites, articles, as well as individual reports. I wouldn't want to plunk down 10k+ and then end up in the shop after a year. Just because a car is popular doesn't mean it's good. Nissans were reliable, you are absolutely right but not anymore. Not since french company renault bought them. They have nasty tranny problems now.

I see Nissans, chevys, dodge, and ford all over the place around here. They are immensely popular but their reliability track record is poo (except for ford and chevy trucks, they seem to be ok).

As for the VW's, here's another;

Quote:
2. A History Of Questionable Reliability
For much of the past decade, Volkswagen has been plagued with powertrain reliability issues in the high-volume four- and five-cylinder engines that power Passat, Jettas, and other VW products, according to Consumer Reports.
Even though VW has made significant strides over the past few years in terms of quality, the emissions scandal has all but wiped out any positive sentiment the automaker may have engendered with the public.
There seems to be a stigma that lingers in the minds of mass-market shoppers who place a premium on reliability. This stigma is further enforced by publications like JD Power's 2016 vehicle dependability survey, where VW scored below industry average.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...agen-vw-2016-8

Consumer reports is pretty much the gold standard on judging vehicle reliability. When they caution somebody about a vehicles reliability, it's probably a good idea to take note.

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"

Last edited by xCLAVEx : Dec 11, 2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 07:40 PM   #38
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Who is repairpal, and why should we trust them? I only glanced at the site, so I'm honestly not sure.

Even if a car was average reliability, I'm not sure how that makes it a problem or a terrible car to make any effort to steer people away.

What you're basically saying is, "Don't buy that car, it's terrible! It's only as reliable as everyhing else!". If you're on the hunt for the most reliable car, that's a little different. But it still doesn't make the one in question actually bad.
I am on the hunt for the most reliable, but I think I found it. 2014 Corolla with 75k miles (bought extended warranty and took it to mechanic for a pre-purchase screening just in case). Car is in great condition, just needs tranny flushed and brake fluid changed.

Old Dec 12, 2019, 09:55 AM   #39
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
People are making vast assumptions based on cars that haven't been made for years or making company wide judgements based on the worst cars of a generation that's long past.

Missing out on a lot of great cars by clutching your biases so tightly.
HE just wants a car that is reliable and he doesn't have to think about anything going on with it.

Since Corolla is the gold standard for reliability (for good reason) that'll always be the top option for him.

Theres always suggestions for other cars, usually here on rage its either MOAR POWERS or GERMANS FTW!!! because the enthusiast group prefers something more than just Vanilla. Corolla is never suggested because its the most vanilla of all flavours, but it also happens to be the car that 99% of the time will never unexpected crap the bed on you.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:40 AM   #40
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
HE just wants a car that is reliable and he doesn't have to think about anything going on with it.

Since Corolla is the gold standard for reliability (for good reason) that'll always be the top option for him.

Theres always suggestions for other cars, usually here on rage its either MOAR POWERS or GERMANS FTW!!! because the enthusiast group prefers something more than just Vanilla. Corolla is never suggested because its the most vanilla of all flavours, but it also happens to be the car that 99% of the time will never unexpected crap the bed on you.
What does any of that have to do with the quote of mine you posted?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:14 AM   #41
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post

This. I know other cars are more powerful, more fun, more exciting (and more expensive). I just wanted something I don't have to **** with much and just maintain and something that won't guzzle gas.

Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:31 AM   #42
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Ive known people with Sonatas and Elantras and they had probs. Mechanical mostly so expensive.
My Sonata Hybrid gave me zero issues.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:33 AM   #43
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

But that's what we're saying -- VW had issues with the drivetrain in past years; they've fixed that, the Golf is wildly reliable and the TDI's gas mileage is almost untouchable. Only reason they get hammered now is because of that whole emissions fiasco, which I couldn't care less about (laughs in catless).

Writing off entire brands based off of things that aren't really true anymore limits your scope and the options available to you, but that's your prerogative I suppose.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:47 PM   #44
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

I like volks they have a Tiguan with a ~120hp electric hybrid coming out soon. As for their cars did they fix the door handle thing where they all broke after a few years of use...? My last was a 1991 Jetta turbo diesel. Great gas mileage and few issues other than door handles and the leaky ps.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.1.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50a bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.1.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2019, 01:20 PM   #45
Nunz
RIP Roxen

My buddies 98 Passat TDI has that damn door handle problem but that thing is bullet proof. He beats the **** out of it every day and it's still chugging along like a tractor with over 200k miles on it.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 03:12 PM   #46
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Ended up going with the corolla in the original pictures after all. There weren't any other corollas in that price range under 100k miles and I bought the extended warranty to cover me for 5 years or 50k miles with my credit union (just in case).

Other than the touch screen being out of calibration (inputs are off), everything else seems hunky-dory so far!

Thanks guys.

Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:15 PM   #47
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
My sis THE DOCTOR is stuck on bare bone Sentras. Shes had good luck with them. Better than the civic she had before the first of 2 long lived sentras. 10+ years each. But I think the last one she got wasnt made in Old Mexico so...

She literally bought a stick shift no ac no cruise sentra last time. Says she'd rather put her money in things that dont bleed it...
Curiously my sister has had great luck with Sentras too, granted they were older sentras (2003 and more recently 2012). I don't know enough about nissans reliability short of reading recall reports and cvt problems. Perhaps they aren't that bad? Maybe the Altimas are garbage but the Sentras are ok? I don't know, but I couldn't risk it.

Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:16 PM   #48
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Ended up going with the corolla in the original pictures after all. There weren't any other corollas in that price range under 100k miles and I bought the extended warranty to cover me for 5 years or 50k miles with my credit union (just in case).

Other than the touch screen being out of calibration (inputs are off), everything else seems hunky-dory so far!

Thanks guys.
Congrats on the car!

But all this bashing on other vehicles and wanting the most reliable car that will never have an issue you bought one with the touch screen already broken?
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2019, 02:28 PM   #49
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
Congrats on the car!

But all this bashing on other vehicles and wanting the most reliable car that will never have an issue you bought one with the touch screen already broken?
I'm not too worried about the touch screen because I was probably going to replace it anyway (crutchfield for like $150). If that's all I have to deal with then I'm fine.

Old Dec 13, 2019, 05:06 PM   #50
Nunz
RIP Roxen

There's some real irony with the most reliable vehicle ... And you bought it broken lol

God speed doing a headunit. Literally the most aids ****ing job I've done on my Subaru .. by far.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 05:18 PM   #51
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
There's some real irony with the most reliable vehicle ... And you bought it broken lol

God speed doing a headunit. Literally the most aids ****ing job I've done on my Subaru .. by far.
Looks pretty straightforward from youtube videos. I'm sure I can hack it. Have no idea how it is in a Subaru though so can't comment on that. I know things were WAAAAY over complicated on my 2004 Mazda 6. For example; changing a head light in the car involved removing either the bumper or the rain guards behind the wheel....just to change a ****ing headlight lmao so I'm not sure if a Subaru involves similar nightmares or not. Toyota uses the KISS philosophy so I should be fine. The default speakers sound like ass anyway so the change was going to happen one way or the other.

Old Dec 13, 2019, 05:30 PM   #52
Nunz
RIP Roxen

What made it complicated was adding in an amp. Still, even with crutchfield harnesses ... wiring ****ing nightmare.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 06:55 PM   #53
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Definitely depends on the car. The BRZ was an absolute breeze, so are the C5 Vettes. Never added an amp though.

The latest cars are all a pain in the ass for anything aftermarket, I'd bet. The majority of vehicle systems are tied in with the infotainment system. Not much I can do at all with the R. The system in there is "good enough". Even my old Kenwood unit is better than what's in the car, but it can't tie into all the vehicle electronics.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 09:17 PM   #54
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I love the Fender setup. Did you get the premium audio?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:28 PM   #55
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Pics?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:04 AM   #56
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I love the Fender setup. Did you get the premium audio?
Yep, that's what I have as well. Pretty much why it's good enough for me. Definitely the best OEM audio system I've ever had by quite a bit. Hell, it's the first sub I've ever had in a car.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:17 AM   #57
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Yep, that's what I have as well. Pretty much why it's good enough for me. Definitely the best OEM audio system I've ever had by quite a bit. Hell, it's the first sub I've ever had in a car.
Alpine actually makes plug and play head units for the golf that support all the features.
https://www.alpine-electronics.se/p/...wagen/x903d-g7
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2020, 03:35 PM   #58
xCLAVEx
Not gone

So far so good. I'm loving the gas mileage this thing gets, (32mpg in city driving, haven't done much hwy yet). It's only costing me $10-15 bucks a week to re-fill from half a tank after my driving 20 miles a day to work. On my previous Pontiac G6 GT, I was spending close to $30 a week so I've already cut that in half. I'm going to change out the tranny fluid soon just for safety.

Did my first mod on the car lastnight, changed out the puny horn for some Hella high-low tones. Now even trucks will hear me if they try to merge while I'm there.