Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:23 PM   #241
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Get a 9900K
https://hardforum.com/threads/worth-...board.1984043/
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:24 PM   #242
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
reordered C8H from Newegg to get faster and save 33 bucks sales tax

ships tomorrow
Man seriously just stand in front of a kids bicycle and sue the 5 year old’s dad to pay for the 3900X.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2019, 06:51 PM   #243
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I updated the bios on my CH6 Hero. I actually went to a beta posted on the Asus forum. It seems more stable and maybe boot issues are better. But, for some reason, I lost memory/IF OC. I'm now only stable at 3600 MHz C14-15-14-28-42, whereas before I was stable at 3733 (didn't bother trying 3666). Oh well, probably not a huge performance difference either way. Ambient temps are a bit higher too, so I don't know if that could have made the difference if I was just on the edge of stability.
I managed to get back up to 3733 MHz memory. It turns out my procODT was set too high for Zen 2. I'm currently running 14-16-14-14-28-42, but I'm going to see if I can get 14-15 stable.

Oddly my latency seems to be up about 3 ms with the latest Asus bios over the one I was using. I can actually boot without the C5 error though, so going back isn't really an option.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 29, 2019, 06:51 PM   #244
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Tweaked my timings a bit

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:32 PM   #245
Gregor976
Radeon R520

Gregor976 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGregor976 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I've tested my current timings for a few days now without error at 1.43v:

Gregor976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:10 AM   #246
howard stern
Radeon Northern Islands

howard stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyhoward stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The solution is immediately available for download in a new chipset driver (version 1.07.29), including an updated AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan that delivers the fix. Users of previous generation AMD Ryzen™ Products do not need this plan, and the chipset driver installer will not provide it.

So you can see these changes in action, AMD Ryzen Master is also updated with new voltage and temperature reporting methodologies that more realistically demonstrate CPU behavior. Version 2.0.1.1233 (or later) reflects these changes and is now available for download as well.

Chipset Driver 1.07.29 also contains a beta workaround that resolves Destiny 2 application launch issues. This will ensure Destiny 2 players can immediately get back into the game.

https://community.amd.com/community/...-and-destiny-2
howard stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2019, 04:35 PM   #247
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard stern View Post
The solution is immediately available for download in a new chipset driver (version 1.07.29), including an updated AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan that delivers the fix. Users of previous generation AMD Ryzen™ Products do not need this plan, and the chipset driver installer will not provide it.

So you can see these changes in action, AMD Ryzen Master is also updated with new voltage and temperature reporting methodologies that more realistically demonstrate CPU behavior. Version 2.0.1.1233 (or later) reflects these changes and is now available for download as well.

Chipset Driver 1.07.29 also contains a beta workaround that resolves Destiny 2 application launch issues. This will ensure Destiny 2 players can immediately get back into the game.

https://community.amd.com/community/...-and-destiny-2
Idling at 28C now

Old Jul 30, 2019, 06:31 PM   #248
howard stern
Radeon Northern Islands

howard stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyhoward stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Installed the new chipset drivers and Ryzen master, seems to have done the trick I am at 1 volt or less when idle.

Can't wait for the bios fix think it is 1003aabbb or something like that.

Question why the hell can't Ryzen master run with virtualization on in the bios?
Very strange for sure.
howard stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2019, 03:26 PM   #249
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

C8H showed up today

I may get to work on it this weekend
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:06 PM   #250
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

cloned my boot drive I'll see if Win 10 can upgrade a MB still

I have got it to work well before
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:47 PM   #251
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Should work fine. I went from a Z270 board w/ a 6700K to a Z390 w/ a 9900K and it handled it perfectly
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2019, 03:23 PM   #252
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

went fine for me going from am3 to my x470 board. Disassembled old parts put in new parts (processor, mb, ram, psu) reattached hd's in accordance to the sata port number they were one turned it on... Boom Win10 desktop first try! lol.
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:35 PM   #253
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Updated my bios from 3.46 Beta to 3.51 Beta

Old Aug 3, 2019, 09:58 AM   #254
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Some more fiddling this morning. Decided to try setting LLC to "Auto" instead of Level 3. I tried levels 1-5, all lost performance over auto...

Auto had all cores locked at 4100Mhz, with an occasional boost to 4150Mhz while running cinebench R20

I find it slightly amusing that the best performance on this 3900X is to leave everything in bios on Auto, set FCLK to 1800Mhz, and overclock your ram. Gone are the days of tweaking other settings imo.

Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:45 AM   #255
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
This is such a lame excuse coming from you. At your age that is like being thrifty about the old home that you are going to spend your days in. Get a ****ing 3900X or better.
Quote:
where is your 3900x and 2080 ti
Burn!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2019, 03:58 PM   #256
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI)

803 up on asus

Quote:
ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI) BIOS 0803
Updated AM4 combo PI 1.0.0.3 patch ABB.
Improved system performance.
Improved system stability.
Improved storage device compatibility.
" Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (C8HW.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.''
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...Desk_Download/

Last edited by bill dennison : Aug 3, 2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 08:23 PM   #257
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Installed the Noctua, idles at mid 30s and under full load of playing BFv for a few hrs its at the 60c mark.

Definitely not the prettiest method but it works well... Also its a fully closed off case with no glass, so meh. So much more quiet compared to OEM. MY only complaint is that it doesnt leave much room for future GFX cards and replacing ram (have 32gb so not really an issue) is going to be a bit of a pain.

Ordered some case fan replacements to help with airflow, these oem fractal aint doing the job anymore with todays hardware.

Gigabyte released a new BIOS which addresses the agesa issue, not sure if its completely solved (incl new AMD drivers) as im still getting random spikes
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:35 PM   #258
Gregor976
Radeon R520

Gregor976 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGregor976 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

2x8 F4-3600C15-8GTZ Max temp 37c so far, with active cooling.

Error free overnight with memtest64, a few hours of prime and a few times around Hircines Haunt. Using Ryzen DRAM Calculator 1.6.0.3. 3800 fast preset with rec settings and 1.47v:

I just plugged in the numbers and it worked. It was also stable at 1.46v but lost some performance.

I might just stick to bios 2501 and the last chipset driver for a while and give them a couple revisions with the new agesa to get the rest of the kinks out. Or just wait for a zen 3 bios.

Completely removing the system from power and discharging residual power does result in a c5 on a true cold boot, but I have to go out of my way to do that and my profiles are saved and never fail to boot after they're reloaded.
Gregor976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:58 PM   #259
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

When it comes to ryzen master / bios and OC, is Precision Boost better than auto? From what i can see i get the same clock speeds of 4350... which is far from 4.6
Old Aug 4, 2019, 05:00 AM   #260
barleystout
Radeon R700

barleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI)

803 up on asus

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...Desk_Download/
Not sure if this is just a one person issue, but this guy is seeing some latency issues with that BIOS.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-a...l#post28071688
barleystout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2019, 06:25 AM   #261
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
When it comes to ryzen master / bios and OC, is Precision Boost better than auto? From what i can see i get the same clock speeds of 4350... which is far from 4.6
You'll only see 4.6 rarely on one core. Also some boards/bioses right now may not be boosting properly. I'd just leave it all on auto and not worry about it right now. Wait for the bugs to be worked out before spending a lot of effort trying to tweak for performance.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2019, 09:26 AM   #262
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

3700x ARRIVED!!! Updated Asus C6H Hero to bios 7201. Removed 1700. Dropped in 3700x. 1st boot took a bit while system retrained.. installed chipset drivers.. restarted, set mem to XMP (3200).

All up and running :-)

I'm happy. A simple bios update and able to drop the latest CPU in and even able to get PCIe 4.0 as a bonus

https://www.3dmark.com/pcie/27162

22.35GB/s
Old Aug 4, 2019, 09:34 AM   #263
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
You'll only see 4.6 rarely on one core. Also some boards/bioses right now may not be boosting properly. I'd just leave it all on auto and not worry about it right now. Wait for the bugs to be worked out before spending a lot of effort trying to tweak for performance.
+1
Old Aug 4, 2019, 01:30 PM   #264
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Quote:
Cheers!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 01:46 PM   #265
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

turned off the fans on my rad and trying to warm it up a bit to pull the waterblock without pulling the cpu from the socket

still running 27c idle 53c stressed
went like 2 weeks without fans once before I notice I didn't plug a wire in to the fan controller on a rewire

most of the people that I have seen have problems were using the stock wraith cooler

MX-4 doesn't grip that hard as that pad on the wraith

Last edited by bill dennison : Aug 4, 2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 04:04 PM   #266
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

up and running new 803 bios and chipset driver in

need to add in the rest of my drives and check everything but looks good for now
Old Aug 4, 2019, 05:21 PM   #267
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

MSI dropping the ball I'm over here running AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3a !_!

No sign of any of the MPG line getting new bios yet. Let alone the MEG series.

Then again if it ain't broke don't fix it

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2019, 06:47 PM   #268
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

77f room temp

and I can't hear the fan unless I open the case and stick my ear inside
Old Aug 4, 2019, 07:06 PM   #269
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:

77f room temp

and I can't hear the fan unless I open the case and stick my ear inside
38 - 45c not t-bag gai :D

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2019, 07:31 PM   #270
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyiji View Post
38 - 45c not t-bag gai :D
I use the flir one for work so it is set for fahrenheit