Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:31 PM   #271
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Microsoft has released an Intel Microcode Update to address Spectre and Foreshadow (L1 Terminal Fault) related vulnerabilities. This patch is specifically for a range of Skylake, Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake and Broadwell Intel CPUs under Windows 10 version 1809.
any benchmarks yet ?
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:45 PM   #272
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
any benchmarks yet ?

Too early!
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2018, 06:01 AM   #273
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
How about fixing windows 1809 first?
What's wrong with 1809?
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 29, 2018, 09:15 AM   #274
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
How about fixing windows 1809 first?
Nice idea!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:06 AM   #275
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
What's wrong with 1809?
Haven’t had a single issue, and I updated with the original version, not the re-release.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:29 AM   #276
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Haven’t had a single issue, and I updated with the original version, not the re-release.
All the PC's at the shop here run 1809 and all my rigs at home without issues either.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Nov 29, 2018, 02:11 PM   #277
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
All the PC's at the shop here run 1809 and all my rigs at home without issues either.
Same here (2 machines) No issues. I am wondering if the issues are being caused by third party software such as antivirus and such, or people not keeping everything updated.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2019, 02:30 AM   #278
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Old May 14, 2019, 09:14 PM   #279
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
A new class of Microarchitectural Data Sampling (MDS) Vulnerabilities has been discovered, primarily affecting Intel CPUs, similar to the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. These are known by the aliases Zombieload, RIDL and Fallout. MDS is a hypothetical vulnerability that requires local privileged execution; as with Spectre and Meltdown, no known exploits using this method have yet been detected. Intel has released a Security Advisory on MDS, classifying it as a Medium risk. Microcode updates are being released as the primary mitigation; disabling HyperThreading is not necessary in most cases.

At this stage, current Intel CPUs are going to compete with the Intel 4004.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:15 PM   #280
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

"Checks calendar"

Yep, May 28th right around the corner.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:45 PM   #281
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Intel says just disable hyperthreading.

These datacenter folks will be super happy about that.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2019, 01:21 AM   #282
Megaman
Packing heat!

Yesterdays Windows patches have begun to address this vulnerability. The performance impact is noted as limited, but can be more noticeable if you need to disable HyperThreading.

Quote:
To see whether your system is vulnerable and to what extent, download the MDS Tool found on the middle of this page (https://mdsattacks.com/) and run the relevant executable. If you get an error, install this Visual C++ Redistributable Update and try again. .
Old May 16, 2019, 01:27 AM   #283
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

better to disable Intel .
Old May 16, 2019, 01:30 AM   #284
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
better to disable Intel .
Cue Ryzen 3rd gen
Old May 21, 2019, 12:13 PM   #285
aRandomRobot
Coffee Adict

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...MDS-Laptop-Run

At work we use a bunch of these dual core /w HT Lenovo laptops. They’re already kinda marginally usable but this might kill them. 18%-25% average performance drop and a 7-8x increase in context switch time? RIP. Where are the enterprise AMD laptops?
aRandomRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019, 01:23 PM   #286
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by aRandomRobot View Post
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...MDS-Laptop-Run

At work we use a bunch of these dual core /w HT Lenovo laptops. They’re already kinda marginally usable but this might kill them. 18%-25% average performance drop and a 7-8x increase in context switch time? RIP. Where are the enterprise AMD laptops?

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/a...o-mobile-specs
Old May 21, 2019, 01:48 PM   #287
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I've been buying Lenovo ThinkPad A485's for cheap laptops. They work well enough, but battery life SUCKS. Under 3.5 hours puttering around in Windows vs. 6-7 hours easy on a comparable Intel ThinkPad with the same battery config.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2019, 12:58 PM   #288
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2019, 01:45 PM   #289
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq6R39wWXGM

wish he would have had a 2700x in there also

got to wonder how long intel really knew about all this crap but hid it to keep the crown
Old Aug 7, 2019, 06:25 PM   #290
Megaman
Packing heat!

This is like Europes migration policy....just keep them coming.

Quote:
Another Spectre-based side-channel security vulnerability is causing concern. It's been dubbed SWAPGS, because it leverages the SWAPGS instruction to allow an attacker to potentially access sensitive data on systems running Windows. This vulnerability affects newer (post-2012) generations of both Intel and AMD CPUs, however AMD disputes this. In any case, Microsoft already released a Security Update for SWAPGS last month, so make sure you install it as soon as possible.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 06:33 PM   #291
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
This is like Europes migration policy....just keep them coming.
Quote:
New Windows hack warning: Patch Intel systems now to block SWAPGSAttack exploits
Quote:
Researchers detail hardware vulnerability that bypasses mitigations against Spectre and Meltdown CPU vulnerabilities on Windows systems - and impacts all systems using Intel processors manufactured since 2012
https://www.zdnet.com/article/new-wi...tack-exploits/
Old Aug 7, 2019, 07:45 PM   #292
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

yay another dumb exploit that literally means nothing to the average user but we're forced to patch for it

im so worried
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2019, 07:56 PM   #293
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Typhoid Intel

Old Aug 7, 2019, 09:18 PM   #294
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

And with the release of the zen 2 server cpus today with 50-100% more perf than an intel cpu that sells for 40% more the punch to the gut for intel is sure to leave a mark.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14694...pyc-2nd-gen/15

Quote:
For those with little time: at the high end with socketed x86 CPUs, AMD offers you up to 50 to 100% higher performance while offering at a 40% lower price. Unless you go for the low end server CPUs, there is no contest: AMD offers much better performance for a much lower price than Intel, with more memory channels and over 2x the number of PCIe lanes. These are also PCIe 4.0 lanes. What if you want to more than 2 TB of RAM in your dual socket server? The discount in favor of AMD just became 50%.
Quote:
So has AMD done the unthinkable? Beaten Intel by such a large margin that there is no contest? For now, based on our preliminary testing, that is the case. The launch of AMD's second generation EPYC processors is nothing short of historic, beating the competition by a large margin in almost every metric: performance, performance per watt and performance per dollar.

Analysts in the industry have stated that AMD expects to double their share in the server market by Q2 2020, and there is every reason to believe that AMD will succeed. The AMD EPYC is an extremely attractive server platform with an unbeatable performance per dollar ratio.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.4.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.6.2. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2019, 09:43 PM   #295
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Generally, business take a while to convert. It's just what they do. So the fact that Epyc beats the last generation of intel, while nice on paper, really doesn't mean much until big corporations start building with the Epyc chips. It is encouraging that AMD is throwing that out there but it is really early to start the wake for Intel.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:19 PM   #296
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Generally, business take a while to convert. It's just what they do. So the fact that Epyc beats the last generation of intel, while nice on paper, really doesn't mean much until big corporations start building with the Epyc chips. It is encouraging that AMD is throwing that out there but it is really early to start the wake for Intel.

Quote:
Rumor: Google May Use AMD’s EPYC Server Chips
Quote:
According to the Benzinga report, KC Rajkumar heard rumors that Google is not satisfied with Intel’s server platform. This could be possible as Intel has been struggling to keep the security of its x86 architecture in check
https://marketrealist.com/2019/07/ru...-server-chips/
Old Aug 8, 2019, 01:45 AM   #297
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Rumor: Google May Use AMD’s EPYC Server Chips
Old Aug 8, 2019, 01:47 AM   #298
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
Rumor: Google May or May not Use AMD’s EPYC Server Chips

Fixt!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 03:25 PM   #299
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Typhoid Intel

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywi.../#4de6884c73f8

Quote:
A security vulnerability that affects Windows computers running on 64-bit Intel and AMD processors could give an attacker access to your passwords, private conversations, and any other information within the operating system kernel memory. Users are advised to update Windows in order to mitigate against this new CPU "SWAPGS attack" risk.
What is the SWAPGS attack?

"We call this the SWAPGS attack because the vulnerability leverages the SWAPGS instruction," Bogdan Botezatu, director of threat research and reporting at Bitdefender, says "an under-documented instruction that makes the switch between user-owned memory and kernel memory." Botezatu also says that, at this point, "all Intel CPUs manufactured between 2012 and today are vulnerable to the SWAPGS attack." Which means every Intel chip going back to the "Ivy Bridge" processor is vulnerable if inside a machine running Windows.

However, it appears it is not just Intel CPUs that are affected by the SWAPGS attack vulnerability. According to a Red Hat advisory published August 6th, the threat “applies to x86-64 systems using either Intel or AMD processors.” Something that AMD itself disputes.

An AMD spokesperson pointed me in the direction of a public statement online: "AMD is aware of new research claiming new speculative execution attacks that may allow access to privileged kernel data. Based on external and internal analysis, AMD believes it is not vulnerable to the SWAPGS variant attacks because AMD products are designed not to speculate on the new GS value following a speculative SWAPGS. For the attack that is not a SWAPGS variant, the mitigation is to implement our existing recommendations for Spectre variant 1."

That same Red Hat advisory stated that “based on industry feedback, we are not aware of any known way to exploit this vulnerability on Linux kernel-based systems.” During my briefing with Botezatu, he noted that "Linux machines are also impacted," however, due to the operating system architecture they are "less prone to this type of attack, as it is less reliable." Botezatu says that other operating system vendors are not impacted at this point, "but are still investigating similar attack avenues leveraging the SWAPGS attack."
Old Aug 8, 2019, 04:01 PM   #300
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Quote:
Although Bitdefender tested two AMD CPUs and found that neither exhibited speculative behavior for the SWAPGS instruction, and although AMD says that they believe its products are, for that reason, not vulnerable to the SWAPGS variant attack, a Red Hat advisory says that the vulnerability “applies to x86-64 systems using either Intel or AMD processors.”

Microsoft also mentions AMD and ARM-based systems being vulnerable to Spectre attacks, but it’s unclear whether this latest variant (SWAPGS attack) would affect them. The company provided security updates with fixes for various Windows versions, including Windows 10 for ARM64-based systems.

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2019...swapgs-attack/

MS has done this before and pulled the AMD fixes back out later