Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 7, 2018, 02:59 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
deadite_9
random and/or senseless

deadite_9 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydeadite_9 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
****. Literally just bought a 960 pro.
Same for me (picked it up during Black Friday). Aaaaaaaaaaand literally just picked up an 8700K right before New Year's... FML.

:: HDTV
Samsung Q8FN (4K QLED, 65") :: A/V Onkyo TX-RZ830 ::
:: UHD
Sony UBP-X700 :: BD Oppo BDP-83 :: CD Onkyo DX-C390 ::
:: PHONO
Technics SL-1200MK2 :: GAME Xbox One X + PS4 Pro ::
:: FRONT
JBL SCS300SAT + FS1000 :: SW HSU Research STF-2 ::
:: CENTER
JBL EC35 (Black Ash) :: LFE HSU Research VTF-2 MK5 ::
:: SURROUND L/R
JBL SCS300SAT :: SW HSU Research STF-2 ::
:: SURR BACK L/R
JBL SCS300SAT :: SW HSU Research STF-1 ::

:: CPU
Core i7 7820X (4.5GHz) :: MB ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming ::
:: BIOS
1704 :: AIO Corsair H115i PRO + (2x) Noctua NF-A14 chromax ::
:: DDR4
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3000MHz (15-17-17-35) ::
:: GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 Founders Edition :: LCD Acer Predator XB241H ::
:: AUDIO
ROG SupremeFX (S1220A) :: SPEAKERS Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 ::
:: OS
Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903) :: NVME Samsung 960 PRO M.2 (512GB) ::
:: SSD
(1x) Samsung 850 PRO (512GB) + (3x) 850 EVO (1TB/1TB/1TB) ::
:: INPUT
Logitech G413 Silver + G MX518 + Xbox One Controller (wireless) ::
:: PSU
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 + CableMod Pro series (black/white) ::
:: CASE
Corsair Carbide Air 540 (silver, DEMCiflex intake filters) ::
:: FANS
(2x) Noctua NF-P14s redux + (1x) NF-P14r redux ::
deadite_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 03:49 PM   #152
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

The new bios ASUS released for my board a few days ago has the micro fixes in it. This was just as the issue was made public so I’m fully patched up now until they release further changes.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 03:50 PM   #153
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Metroidfox: thanks for sharing that. I've got some compiling tomorrow to do at work, I'll try and see if I can share some numbers.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 7, 2018, 05:21 PM   #154
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
The new bios ASUS released for my board a few days ago has the micro fixes in it. This was just as the issue was made public so I’m fully patched up now until they release further changes.
Intel hasn't made the Microcode public yet, it won't until January 9th. The latest bios update was just a coincidence that it released at the same time. We'll be updating again come Tuesday.... And that's if new bios' come out the same day.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 05:24 PM   #155
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

Latest one for the MSI gaming pro carbon AC for thread ripper has a mid November 2017 release date and no mention about this issue, so i doubt there's any fixes for this yet on their end, but i downloaded and saved it anyways.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 07:31 PM   #156
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Intel hasn't made the Microcode public yet, it won't until January 9th. The latest bios update was just a coincidence that it released at the same time. We'll be updating again come Tuesday.... And that's if new bios' come out the same day.
Not Intel, ASUS...Cos in the video I posted the BIOS update (from ASUS) he states has the Micro code update across the Z370 boards. The update from ASUS was released 2nd January.

2:19 mark

Last edited by Megaman : Jan 7, 2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 08:59 PM   #157
spike700
Rage3D Veteran

spike700 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
How AMD designed the speculative execution function and/or out of order execution features of their chips is the difference in if a BIOS update will be needed to further mitigate the problem.....
Looks like there is a microcode update for AMD with regard to Spectre.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ediction-Still
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
****nig amzanig huh?
------------------------------------------------------
spike700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 09:05 PM   #158
shadow001

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike700 View Post
Looks like there is a microcode update for AMD with regard to Spectre.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ediction-Still

Seems like it, specifically for the first variant of Spectre which seems to be the really dangerous one compared to the meltdown virus itself....Should be an interesting next few weeks to say the least.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 07:00 AM   #159
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Not Intel, ASUS...Cos in the video I posted the BIOS update (from ASUS) he states has the Micro code update across the Z370 boards. The update from ASUS was released 2nd January.

2:19 mark

He said the bios update was released 2 days prior on the 4th but the latest bios is on the 2nd. It hasn't been updated yet unless Asus sent it to him, they haven't gone live yet. Intel just started rolling out the microcode on Friday. So the bios update on the 2nd wouldn't have it. That's when we found out about the issue.

What's weird is the bios he has listed in his video when it shows him flashing doesn't exist 0407 isn't a bios listed for the TUF Gaming neither is the 0606 he is updating too: Asus lists the following:

1003 Release Jan 2, 2018
0802 Release Nov 17, 2017
0403 Original Release Bios Oct 3, 2017.

The guy from Hardware Unbox is an idiot. My guess he's lieing in the video to get hits on his youtube channel.

We'll probably get a bios sometime this week.

But they have the FORMULA now instock and I want that OLED display.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64

Last edited by Hapatingjaky : Jan 8, 2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:26 AM   #160
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
He said the bios update was released 2 days prior on the 4th but the latest bios is on the 2nd. It hasn't been updated yet unless Asus sent it to him, they haven't gone live yet. Intel just started rolling out the microcode on Friday. So the bios update on the 2nd wouldn't have it. That's when we found out about the issue.

What's weird is the bios he has listed in his video when it shows him flashing doesn't exist 0407 isn't a bios listed for the TUF Gaming neither is the 0606 he is updating too: Asus lists the following:

1003 Release Jan 2, 2018

The guy from Hardware Unbox is an idiot. My guess he's lieing in the video to get hits on his youtube channel.

The latest bios released for the mother board he is using was 01/04/2018 version 0606.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...HelpDesk_BIOS/

It states microcode update in the description.

Second, I think you are misunderstanding what Intel is saying about releasing the microcode 01/09/2018. You are taking it as releasing it to venders, however I think what they mean is releasing microcode updates for their own produced boards. All other vendors already have the microcode and are working on their own bios updates.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Jan 8, 2018 at 10:37 AM.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:02 AM   #161
shadow001

Now that I think about it, it could be an interesting break for AMD since their 12nm generation Ryzen's are already sampling and will be released starting in April, and even assuming that there's no IPC enhancements at all ( doubt it but it's possible ), the lower power requirements versus the existing 14nm one means higher default clock speeds and potential overclocks too, which when combined with the meltdown and spectre bugs for Intel reducing performance even if by just a few percentage points, might make the upcoming performance match up a little bit closer than Intel would like.

Add the second generation thread ripper in the second half of this year, which I'm hoping they pull a new 24 core / 48 thread version at the high end, seriously laying the smackdown on Intel's 18 core high end for X299 setups, and I'd happily pay 1500$ for said processor since it's a huge amount of CPU power for the money paid.

Add the 12 nm process also being applied to Vega, and AMD has a busy year indeed.....
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:11 AM   #162
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

I dont think vega is getting 12nm. They are delaying navi and putting vega on 7nm in H2 for pro users and in early 2019 for desktops.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:11 AM   #163
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
The latest bios released for the mother board he is using was 01/04/2018 version 0606.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...HelpDesk_BIOS/

It states microcode update in the description.

Second, I think you are misunderstanding what Intel is saying about releasing the microcode 01/09/2018. You are taking it as releasing it to venders, however I think what they mean is releasing microcode updates for their own produced boards. All other vendors already have the microcode and are working on their own bios updates.
That bios wasn't there this morning when I responded to Mega, him and I will have to do the update again....

EDIT:

Can't the bios still isn't listed for the Maximus X Hero.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboa...HelpDesk_BIOS/

They are probably loading them to the servers now.

I am thinking I will secure erase and re-install Windows tomorrow and see if there is a off chance that something might just be screwed durring the bios update process and load setup defaults + Secure Erase + Re-install might not see a drastic drop in IO performance.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:37 AM   #164
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
I dont think vega is getting 12nm. They are delaying navi and putting vega on 7nm in H2 for pro users and in early 2019 for desktops.

That the next generation instinct card which isn't even aimed for gaming but give Volta something to think about for AI processing workloads.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:38 AM   #165
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:

1003 Release Jan 2, 2018
0407 is the release bios for the TUF z370 PLUS.
0606 was released on the 4th with microcode update.

Quote:

He knows far more than you.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:57 AM   #166
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

ASUS motherboard and fixed bios list for x299, z370, z270:

clicky

Last edited by demo : Jan 8, 2018 at 12:04 PM.
demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:33 PM   #167
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
That the next generation instinct card which isn't even aimed for gaming but give Volta something to think about for AI processing workloads.
Wonder if they need to do that leap from 12nm to 7nm in order to add tensor cores...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 01:23 PM   #168
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Wonder if they need to do that leap from 12nm to 7nm in order to add tensor cores...
Honestly the whole 7nm and even 12 nm issue in being over hyped in that neither TSMC's or Global's processes have all the chip built using it.....Only the easiest parts within the chips are done with it, while the hardest parts remain at 14nm ( global ) or 16nm ( TSMC)......The same will apply to the 7nm process as well.....Easiest parts are done with it first.

Intel's 10nm process is already a year later since they're the only ones doing the entire chip with the same process, and it really is being a pain in the ass despite the billions spent and having the absolute cutting edge factories in the industry.....

The fab process limits using silicon are aproaching fast basically....
Old Jan 8, 2018, 03:35 PM   #169
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:

1003 Release Jan 2, 2018

So, as I was saying, I already installed the microcode BIOS fix
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:32 AM   #170
shadow001

Seems that Intel's current CEO dumped 39 million $ of Intel stock just before the news broke out of the meltdown and spectre exploits, keeping only the minimum required:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/int...tre,36280.html

Article states that the impact on desktop users should be minimal, but both ARM and Nvidia's own CPU's are just as affected as Intel's, with AMD's chips being less affected by the issue, and the potential lawsuits from those running databases or web services could climb into the billions... Ouch.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:07 PM   #171
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Seems that Intel's current CEO dumped 39 million $ of Intel stock just before the news broke out of the meltdown and spectre exploits, keeping only the minimum required:

Article states that the impact on desktop users should be minimal, but both ARM and Nvidia's own CPU's are just as affected as Intel's, with AMD's chips being less affected by the issue, and the potential lawsuits from those running databases or web services could climb into the billions... Ouch.

That was posted some pages ago with CEO story.I am curious which is Nvidia CPU ?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 01:30 PM   #172
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
That was posted some pages ago with CEO story.I am curious which is Nvidia CPU ?

Arm based design for their Shield consoles, and anywhere else they use it on.......They bought an ARM licence several years ago, and have been developing their own designs for quite a while now
Old Jan 9, 2018, 02:33 PM   #173
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

I have to say, I find it amusing that the companies with the largest R&D budget, are also the ones effected the most by this due to their flawed design.. Yet the company with the smallest R&D budget not effected nearly as much becasue their design is less flawed, which in my book makes it a better design over all.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 04:16 PM   #174
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Microsoft’s statement suggests slowdowns could be more substantial than Intel previously indicated.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...w-some-servers

Quote:
PCs running Windows 10 and sold since 2016 will face slowdowns of less than 10 percent, which Microsoft said will probably not be noticeable to users. Customers with older Windows 10 PCs will notice some slowness because those machines contain older chips. Machines running Windows 7 and Windows 8 from 2015 or earlier will be the most affected with users noticing a decrease in system performance, Microsoft said.
edit: MS blog:
https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/mic...ndows-systems/

Last edited by @md_Guy : Jan 9, 2018 at 04:27 PM.
@md_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 04:22 PM   #175
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'm opting out of the update. (and Microsoft has halted the updates for ALL AMD systems for now)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 05:40 PM   #176
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
PCs running Windows 10 and sold since 2016 will face slowdowns of less than 10 percent, which Microsoft said will probably not be noticeable to users. Customers with older Windows 10 PCs will notice some slowness because those machines contain older chips. Machines running Windows 7 and Windows 8 from 2015 or earlier will be the most affected with users noticing a decrease in system performance, Microsoft said.

Good thing I upgraded to the 8700K
Old Jan 9, 2018, 07:26 PM   #177
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
I'm opting out of the update. (and Microsoft has halted the updates for ALL AMD systems for now)
very glad I blocked this intel virus first thing

Quote:
Microsoft's 'Meltdown' updates are reportedly bricking AMD PCs
https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/09/...e-amd-patches/

http://www.techradar.com/news/meltdo...s-boot-failure
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:06 PM   #178
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I got no bios update for my mobo. What gives?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:08 PM   #179
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I got no bios update for my mobo. What gives?
Because you don't own the ROG strix X99 gaming or ROG rampage V edition 10 motherboards. This is why we always say to spend a little more on your hardware and not cheap out.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 03:53 AM   #180
x-voodoo
Radeon R700

x-voodoo is still being judged by the masses

According to this list, it seems that the Core series and later are affected (starting with the 45mm i series).
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60411...own/index.html

My desktop has the i7 6700K on the MSI Gaming M3 Z170a motherboard which I am expecting a firmware update. However, my laptop is 5 years old running an i5 3317u and is no longer getting driver and bios updates. Also my old system is a Q9400 (did not see any Core 2 cpus on the list).

Does this mean the Core 2 Duo and Quad are OK or are they also affected and will not get the patch?

I guess this means my laptop and old desktop are just as unsafe as running a desktop with Windows XP?
x-voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote