Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 6, 2018, 04:00 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
x-voodoo
Radeon R700

x-voodoo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-voodoo View Post
This patch is out already? I just tried checking Windows Updates and it says I'm up to date (last patch installed was 12/17)
Looks like Avast was preventing me from getting this latest security update. On my laptop I uninstalled Avast, restarted, checked for windows updates, and VOILA -- downloading KB4056892!

Now I am debating on whether or not I will reinstall Avast......
x-voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2018, 04:08 PM   #122
howard stern
Radeon Northern Islands

howard stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyhoward stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Avast must not have created the compatibility registry key maybe they have not completed their testing yet.

If you are using the free version of Avast you can download Avira free they are compatible and very good.
howard stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2018, 05:03 PM   #123
spike700
Rage3D Veteran

spike700 is still being judged by the masses

Avast is compatible

Public spread sheet listing compatibility of many AV's as of Jan 5.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...aring&sle=true
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
****nig amzanig huh?
------------------------------------------------------
spike700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 6, 2018, 05:31 PM   #124
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard stern View Post
Samsung Magician results before and after the patch.

pre-patch
sequential (MB/s)
Read - 3,342
Write - 1,983

Random (IOPS)
Read - 285,876
Write - 230,443

Post patch
sequential (MB/s)
Read - 2,435
Write - 1,825

Random (IOPS)
Read - 148,129
Write - 131,629

I removed the patches and the performance stayed at post patch levels.
I have a Ryzen 1800X with a Samsung 960 pro running on pci-e gen 3 x 4
it's a virus
so now this intel sh*t is going to kill my ssd speed also on a amd 1800x and 1900x

I blocked updates for now

where do I sign up for the intel class action

Last edited by bill dennison : Jan 6, 2018 at 05:37 PM.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2018, 06:19 PM   #125
{WOR}lock
Vault Dweller

{WOR}lock is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard stern View Post
Samsung Magician results before and after the patch.

I removed the patches and the performance stayed at post patch levels.
I have a Ryzen 1800X with a Samsung 960 pro running on pci-e gen 3 x 4
This is exactly why Microsoft shouldn't be patching AMD systems for Meltdown. They aren't affected by it, why should they take any kind of hit?

More to the point, if it's a blanket activation of the fix what happens when Intel eventually release a chip that doesn't have this security flaw?

Is this because it's a kernel level change that cannot change flags after compilation?
{WOR}lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2018, 08:43 PM   #126
howard stern
Radeon Northern Islands

howard stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyhoward stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Good question {WOR}lock I do not know the answer to that but it appears to me anyway once installed its does not reverse itself when removed. Like Bill said its a virus
howard stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:31 PM   #127
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

This is going too far ...
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:57 PM   #128
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

https://twitter.com/m/status/949251143363899392
Effect on hypervisor..

Expect things to get worse when firmware updates go out

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:51 AM   #129
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quick Facts about Meltdown and Spectre

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018...ltdown_spectre

Quote:
What to do with the information we have today:

Average Desktop User (Intel): At this point your best and only option is to apply the Microsoft KAISER patch when they become available. As this attack is also reported to have delivery via web-browser via .js, it may be plausible to block .js execution from the browser as well.

Average Desktop User (AMD): Hold tight. AMD is adamant that these exploits do not affect their architecture. If anything changes, we are actively tracking and will alert you.

The Gamer (Intel): Performance impact benchmarks have not been done yet, so we really have no idea how much of a performance hit your favorite video games will take. You could risk it and keep Windows from updating, but we would not recommend that currently.

I wish all Ryzen users Happy Camping ...
Old Jan 7, 2018, 01:32 AM   #130
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Anyone who bought a 8700k will received Intels next generation chip for free as of the end of Q1 2018

Intel offers free chips to consumers

Last edited by Megaman : Jan 7, 2018 at 01:46 AM.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 04:27 AM   #131
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post

Thx for letting me try my vulnerability ... I clicked on your link without thinking ... The biological AV was bypassed flawlessly ... Maybe it's "meltdown-ing" and i didn't know ... I have to patch myself with "high brain usage" ?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 05:43 AM   #132
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Old Jan 7, 2018, 06:24 AM   #133
Megaman
Packing heat!

NVE copped a serious beating. Regular SSDs not so much.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 07:10 AM   #134
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ESXi info on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comm...n_and_spectre/

Seems both hypervisor and guest OS needs an update.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 07:26 AM   #135
x-voodoo
Radeon R700

x-voodoo is still being judged by the masses

So it seems those with NVE SSD's are the ones having performance issues, while others experience negligible performance inpacts.

Honestly I can't tell a difference post patch on my PC (I haven't run benchmarks, I just use it).
x-voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:34 AM   #136
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

by a few things he says AMD's only vulnerability requires physical access to my system

if the hacker is in your house you have more problems than your PC .

so why rush to patch AMD now with the same generic windows fix

some of these class action lawsuits need to hit Microsoft

1800x

not bad but no ssd tests

Last edited by bill dennison : Jan 7, 2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:47 AM   #137
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Let me start off by saying that I'm a kernel developer. Let me also say that AMD's response is misleading, and kind of confusing. Meltdown seems to affect their processors less, but Spectre (the really bad one) is a big deal on their hardware too. In fact, it's a big deal on almost every out of order processor ever.

Do NOT avoid these patches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:49 AM   #138
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

by a few things he says AMD's only vulnerability requires physical access to my system

if the hacker is in your house you have more problems than your PC .

so why rush to patch AMD now with the same generic windows fix

some of these class action lawsuits need to hit Microsoft

1800x

not bad but no ssd tests
Actually, I heard someone ran the powershell tool on his Ryzen and it's disabled on Ryzen even with a patch. I've rebenchmarked mine and didn't see any differences.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:55 AM   #139
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
Actually, I heard someone ran the powershell tool on his Ryzen and it's disabled on Ryzen even with a patch. I've rebenchmarked mine and didn't see any differences.
I've still blocked it for the windows 10 35 day max and will wait a week or two and see what comes out
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:09 PM   #140
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I've still blocked it for the windows 10 35 day max and will wait a week or two and see what comes out
I'm sure AMD will sort it out for next round.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:31 PM   #141
Arrowhead
to the knee.

Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-voodoo View Post
So it seems those with NVE SSD's are the ones having performance issues, while others experience negligible performance inpacts.

Honestly I can't tell a difference post patch on my PC (I haven't run benchmarks, I just use it).
****. Literally just bought a 960 pro.
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:43 PM   #142
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Did the same hopefully by then Microsoft will pull their head out of their ass. Running Threadripper BTW too lazy to keep updating my system specs.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:53 PM   #143
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

This dev reported big hits on intel and swtitched to amd..

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...my_8700k_to_a/

Quote:
After a long love/hate relationship with Intel over the last few years and being frustrated with with what’s happened this year and last, my software dev and personal home machine have switched over to AMD.

I originally just about 2 weeks ago built an 8700k version of the exact PC I’ve listed below, but after patch and the performance hits I took in Virtualization, compile time, NVMe speed.. I’m done with Intel. It was enough of a hit for me to call up my local store and get an exception/return period bump so I could actually swap to AyyMD.
Quote:
[–]Amdestroyer94AMD 30 points 4 hours ago
How is the performance when compared with your previous system. Also what was the degree of performance degradation with the patch that made you switch
Quote:
[–]HugeIRLRyzen 7 1700 | 1080Ti | 1TB NVMe SSD | Software Developer[S] 34 points 4 hours ago*
The Ryzen 7 1700 is a little slower performance wise but mainly due to clock speed. It still does everything I need and the extra cores/threads outweigh the clock loss for me (I plan on hitting 4GHz soon, right now I’m cozy at 3.8/1.350v).

For me it felt drastic. I saw compile times drop significantly especially with Java, my NVMe drive was a touch slower too leading to my large transfers suffering.

I felt I easily hit the upper numbers of degradation (30ish%) especially with the server tasks/virtualization I was doing.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:58 PM   #144
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post

I wonder if the same test will be done with an AMD setup and the same NVME drives to see if there's the same ~30% performance loss, and i can imagine some being ticked off by the longer game load times, and online server operators absolutely fuming with the current fixes that are seriously increasing CPU load on their servers, hence the much longer log in times for end users.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 01:15 PM   #145
shadow001

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Just did an SSD test using my 960 pro NVME drive, running off a 16 core thread ripper setup using the ATTO benchmark, and read speeds at high queue depths and transferring big files still hits 2000 MB/sec writes and 2750 MB/sec reads, but i'll try with Samsung's magician software and post again.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 01:42 PM   #146
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

^^ nice you're doing the work for me.

Do these flaws actually go back to 1995 on Intel? If so that's uh...staggering.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2018, 01:51 PM   #147
shadow001

Tried samsungs own software and the results are hard to repeat with consistent results, where the best run was around 2000 MB/sec in both read and write performance, with the other runs slightly lower than that but I have no idea on queue depths or the size of the file used for the test which the ATTO benchmark allows, so i take magician for what it is (synthetic benchmark test ).

All windows updates are installed as of today, 2h48 local so that includes the "fix" for the worst case scenarios as mentioned in this thread already, and i didn't notice any increased load times on anything so far in the last few days....

Last edited by shadow001 : Jan 7, 2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 02:08 PM   #148
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
^^ nice you're doing the work for me.

Do these flaws actually go back to 1995 on Intel? If so that's uh...staggering.

Since the flaw is related to how Intel implemented speculative execution, basically the CPU trying to guess what the likely result will be before it has all the data available, given that data access even from main memory is already slow enough as it is, with recent systems having 4 memory channels using DDR4 3200 only now going over 100 GB/sec, never mind NVME SSD's on M2 slots being considerably slower ( like 30 x slower... ), that speculative execution becomes essential in making the best of a bad situation to be in.

It could go that far back, but one would hope that even users that aren't on the cutting edge of hardware still upgrade their setups every 5 years, though it sucks that even their latest and greatest Intel processors suffer from it, so the real fix comes from more than software and a bios update, and also includes a design change within the CPU.....Takes time to design that change and validate that it works properly with all software out there....A couple of years at least.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 02:13 PM   #149
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

do or will AMD MB's require a new BIOS for this also ?

as I've seen nothing new for this for my asus c6h or zenith extreme
Old Jan 7, 2018, 02:22 PM   #150
shadow001

Quote:
do or will AMD MB's require a new BIOS for this also ?

as I've seen nothing new for this for my asus c6h or zenith extreme

If the problem also presents itself, it's likely there will be new bios releases from all makers but as of right now, i've only been running with the software patch installed and nothing else.

How AMD designed the speculative execution function and/or out of order execution features of their chips is the difference in if a BIOS update will be needed to further mitigate the problem.....