Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:09 AM   #301
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Wow... I was trying to figure out what line the yellow Corvette was driving...

We had the track, quite literally, to ourselves the entire first half of the day. After lunch, a bunch of corvettes, porsches, a Viper ACR (that driver was insanely fast), few mustangs, etc showed up.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:59 AM   #302
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
We had the track, quite literally, to ourselves the entire first half of the day. After lunch, a bunch of corvettes, porsches, a Viper ACR (that driver was insanely fast), few mustangs, etc showed up.
Sounds like my experience at a Fast Friday. When I was there, there were 4 cars including mine. They just had open track all morning (just go out when you wanted and stay out as long as you want). At lunch, two of the cars left and only two new ones showed up.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:18 PM   #303
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

While we went to Mid America, a close friend of mine went to Road America...and had front brake failure. He was using Hawk HPS+ pads in his BMW 540i and melted the pad material clear down and fractured/ground down the backing plates. The direct heat caused the caliper seals to fail and he lost pressure and brake fluid. He started the day with 1/2 pad life. Didn't check them close enough, but there was no warning while he was driving.

Brake failure in Turn 5. Braked straight and weaved through the tire barrier. Car was still going 60mph+ when he left the racing surface and had to pump the brakes constantly to get a little pressure. He got lucky. No more Hawk pads for him. Glad he's ok!

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 PM   #304
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
melted the pad material clear down and fractured/ground down the backing plates. The direct heat caused the caliper seals to fail and he lost pressure and brake fluid.
And that is why the brake pads I use on the track cost about $400...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:49 PM   #305
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
And that is why the brake pads I use on the track cost about $400...
What do you use?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:24 AM   #306
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
What do you use?
Colbalt Friction. For the Honda, it's $220 for the fronts and $180 for the rears (not sure if it's more or less for other vehicles). Well worth the money.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:07 AM   #307
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Colbalt Friction. For the Honda, it's $220 for the fronts and $180 for the rears (not sure if it's more or less for other vehicles). Well worth the money.
Ah, I've been using Carbotechs. Doing great so far and lasting quite a long time. Looks like they are somewhat similar in price to the Cobalts at $195 front and $166 rear. May have to look into Cobalts for next season.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 05:49 PM   #308
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Ah, I've been using Carbotechs. Doing great so far and lasting quite a long time. Looks like they are somewhat similar in price to the Cobalts at $195 front and $166 rear. May have to look into Cobalts for next season.
I'm not sure how they do on the street, if you are using Carbotechs for both street and track.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 07:46 PM   #309
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I'm not sure how they do on the street, if you are using Carbotechs for both street and track.
Track only, using XP10/XP8. I put the stock pads back on for the street.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:30 AM   #310
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

How NOT to pass in DE groups..
Old Oct 27, 2014, 01:26 PM   #311
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Holy smokes, doesn't get much closer than that. Who would be at fault? Clearly the camera car didn't check before he started to get back over.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2014, 01:33 PM   #312
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Holy smokes, doesn't get much closer than that. Who would be at fault? Clearly the camera car didn't check before he started to get back over.
It's the Mustang's fault. When driving in a non-open passing session, the car in front points by each car that is allowed to pass. The camera car only did one point for one car (which was not the Mustang).
Old Oct 27, 2014, 02:50 PM   #313
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Yikes. Definitely the Mustang's fault.

Although, also a good reminder of CYA. Check those mirrors again before resuming the race line.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Oct 27, 2014 at 02:55 PM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2014, 03:23 AM   #314
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Thumbs up

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:47 AM   #315
ಠ_ಠ

Avatar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAvatar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:53 AM   #316
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

darwin hard at work -.- one the very few people i wouldn't care about if they killed themselves, and only themselves of course...

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2015, 05:11 PM   #317
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Sebring International Raceway

Another "bucket list" track down. This is the most challenging track I've done so far, having to drop all the way down to 2nd gear for a hairpin turn after going 100+mph and running WOT around walls. Went 4 wheels off the track on Turn 16, which leads to the long back straight before the really bumpy turn 17. Managed to correct the rotation and drive it straight off onto the grass, then drove back onto the track when it was safe. Tons of fun, and I can't wait to go back in 3-4 years.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Jan 13, 2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 05:43 PM   #318
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:38 AM   #319
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Friend of mine chasing Porsche's during our Sebring visit in his 3000GT VR4.

Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:11 AM   #320
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

981 2fast
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:23 AM   #321
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:11 PM   #322
ಠ_ಠ

Avatar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAvatar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:59 AM   #323
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

A little datalogging with my buddy in his Fiat 500 Abarth. Rigged up the GoPro's and mic to add an exhaust video to the YouTube channel. Still waiting on the full mod list from him, which I'll add later.

Exhaust Demo: Fiat 500 Abarth
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:21 AM   #324
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
A little datalogging with my buddy in his Fiat 500 Abarth. Rigged up the GoPro's and mic to add an exhaust video to the YouTube channel. Still waiting on the full mod list from him, which I'll add later.
That's nifty and all, but I'm not sure why someone would do that to an Abarth... It reminds me of the fart cans I hear on the low riding Honda Civics..
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:40 AM   #325
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
That's nifty and all, but I'm not sure why someone would do that to an Abarth... It reminds me of the fart cans I hear on the low riding Honda Civics..
Do what? The Abarth has no exhaust from the factory, it's a straight pipe. They are normally loud cars. This car, only has a cat less down pipe and a tune. That's literally it. It's otherwise completely stock except for suspension.

Exhaust sounds are totally subjective, but it sounds nothing like any Honda I've ever heard.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:27 PM   #326
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Do what? The Abarth has no exhaust from the factory, it's a straight pipe. They are normally loud cars. This car, only has a cat less down pipe and a tune. That's literally it. It's otherwise completely stock except for suspension.

Exhaust sounds are totally subjective, but it sounds nothing like any Honda I've ever heard.
I've been around them at the track. We've had several at MAM. They never sounded like that. Now it could be just because of the placement of the mic makes the sound more pronounced, but I couldn't hear the Abarths on the track unless we were right next to them.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:29 PM   #327
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:

I've been around them at the track. We've had several at MAM. They never sounded like that. Now it could be just because of the placement of the mic makes the sound more pronounced, but I couldn't hear the Abarths on the track unless we were right next to them.
You're deaf! This is obviously louder than stock since the cats were eliminated. But before we installed this right before Sebring, the car was still loud. We could hear him coming down the block from inside his house. That was with 100% stock exhaust.

Even with light throttle pressure, they are just plain loud. The mic in my video was placed literally right above the exhaust, attached at the license plate for a crisp, clean exhaust note. So naturally, the noise seems amplified quite a bit.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Feb 5, 2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 01:03 PM   #328
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
You're deaf! This is obviously louder than stock since the cats were eliminated. But before we installed this right before Sebring, the car was still loud. We could hear him coming down the block from inside his house. That was with 100% stock exhaust.
I don't call that loud (the stock exhaust), but I drive race cars with no sound dampening so anything else is pretty tame to me.

But again, I'm still not sure why someone would want to make an Abarth louder for the street.. To me, it makes no sense but then again I doubt I would ever buy a Fiat 500 for myself ever...
Old Feb 5, 2015, 01:43 PM   #329
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I don't call that loud (the stock exhaust), but I drive race cars with no sound dampening so anything else is pretty tame to me.

But again, I'm still not sure why someone would want to make an Abarth louder for the street.. To me, it makes no sense but then again I doubt I would ever buy a Fiat 500 for myself ever...
Why does anyone make a car louder? My Vette is totally obnoxious. I couldn't care less if anyone else is bothered by it.

I'd never get one either. As far as making it louder for the street, well...he wanted more power. The cat less downpipe helps a little with that...the extra noise is a by-product. I'm just a guy that likes pretty much everything and enjoys making videos.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 02:58 PM   #330
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Why does anyone make a car louder? My Vette is totally obnoxious. I couldn't care less if anyone else is bothered by it.

I'd never get one either. As far as making it louder for the street, well...he wanted more power. The cat less downpipe helps a little with that...the extra noise is a by-product. I'm just a guy that likes pretty much everything and enjoys making videos.
It's no real different than throwing a straight pipe on a street driven Miata... I'll never understand trying to add minute amounts of HP to an already underpowered car. If the owner is turning it into some sleeper 600 BHP drag racer, that's something else.... It just has always struck me humour hearing a loud exhaust on the highway, thinking someone is hauling *ss only to find out it's some underpowered car with an open exhaust which is having trouble getting out of it's own way...