Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » CATALYST Drivers
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CATALYST Drivers Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Catalyst Drivers. Please put Linux-specific driver posts and Remote Wonder discussion in their respective forums.

"

Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:54 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Qamly
Radeon HD 6870

Qamly is still being judged by the masses

Default Catalyst 14.3 v 1.0 Beta now out...

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...dows-beta.aspx

Quote:
Last Updates: 3/17/2014
Article Number: RN-WIN-B14.3V1.0

​The AMD Catalyst™ 14.3 Beta V1.0 Driver can be downloaded from the following links:

AMD Catalyst™ 14.3 V1.0 Beta for Windows®

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/AMD...22_March12.exe
Quote:
Installing The AMD Catalyst™ Software Driver
Current driver MUST be uninstalled before updating to AMD Catalyst™ 14.3 Beta V1.0 driver. For detailed instructions on how to correctly uninstall or install the AMD Catalyst Software Suite, please refer to the following support resources:
How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst™ Drivers From A Windows® Based System
How-To Install AMD Catalyst™ Drivers For A Windows® Based System

Feature Highlights of The AMD Catalyst™ 14.3 Beta V1.0 Driver for Windows®
Thief:
AMD Mantle and AMD True Audio support
Improves stuttering observed in CrossFire mode
Call of Duty: Ghosts: QUAD CrossFire profile update – improves level load times
Audio issues observed when using CrossFire configurations (and V-sync enabled) have been resolved
BattleField 4: V-sync issues observed on CrossFire configurations (with Mantle enabled) have been resolved

Known Issues
Intermittent driver stability issues when installing/un-installing on Desktop Kaveri platforms that support AMD Enduro technology under Windows 8.1. Please disable Enduro support to resolve the issue
Secondary GPUs do not enter low power state on CrossFire configurations; this issue will be addressed in the next AMD Catalyst beta release
Thief (DirectX): Lighting flickers on CrossFire configurations only after CrossFire has been enabled then disabled; this issue will be addressed in the next AMD Catalyst beta release
Battlefield 4 (DirectX): Quad CrossFire configurations with Eyefinity Display configurations suffer slowdowns and stability issues
Titanfall: Flickering occurs under AMD CrossFire configurations

Compatible Operating Systems
The AMD Catalyst™ 14.3 Beta V1.0 Driver for Windows® is designed to support the following Microsoft Windows platforms:
Windows 8.1 (32 & 64-bit version)
Windows 8 (32 & 64-bit version)
Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit version with SP1 or higher)

Last edited by Qamly : Mar 18, 2014 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Thanks for the update Dyre.
Qamly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:59 AM   #2
Dyre Straits
Rage3D Veteran

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

NOTES have now been added to the OP.
~Windows 7 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 7970 3 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Windows 7 Pro x64~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)

Last edited by Dyre Straits : Mar 18, 2014 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Removed to avoid redundancy
Dyre Straits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 01:18 AM   #3
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod knows why the caged bird singsRistogod knows why the caged bird singsRistogod knows why the caged bird singsRistogod knows why the caged bird singsRistogod knows why the caged bird sings

Only mention of Titanfall is to say its broken. Sigh... was hoping they'd maybe support this title in a timely manner. Maybe they didn't know about it. After all with the limited press coverage of the game.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 18, 2014, 05:00 AM   #4
Mangler
RIP PC Gaming

Mangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
Only mention of Titanfall is to say its broken. Sigh... was hoping they'd maybe support this title in a timely manner. Maybe they didn't know about it. After all with the limited press coverage of the game.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:35 AM   #5
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

kakarot is still being judged by the masses

Clocks still sticking with these, wtg amd!!!
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:45 AM   #6
joe3000
Radeon HD 6850

joe3000 is still being judged by the masses

Still no mantle support for HD7000, so what tha f are you doing AMD?????!
joe3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 08:02 AM   #7
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk is still being judged by the masses

that's what you get when patched drivers are released way before schedule!

Mantle is supported afaik; if I read the news correctly Eidos will release a patch for Thief to use the new API.

At least they aknowledge the Crossfire stuttering in Thief, but I would have rather read 'resolved' instead of 'improved'

Also someone pls explain the flickering lights in Crossfire when it has been enabled THEN disabled
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Jerm357
Rage3D Veteran

Jerm357 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJerm357 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3000 View Post
Still no mantle support for HD7000, so what tha f are you doing AMD?????!
Yeah, whats going on with this... Im still waiting to play BF4 with mantle on my 270x and not have a bunch of stuttering going on. When will all the other cards be fully supported with mantle? Its been a while since AMD has even mentioned that this is even still a problem.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:03 PM   #9
ShaidarHaran
Rage3D Spammer

ShaidarHaran can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyShaidarHaran can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Woohoo! I can finally use Vsync again.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:16 PM   #10
bill dennison
Rage3D Veteran

bill dennison once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bill dennison once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bill dennison once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bill dennison once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bill dennison once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bill dennison once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

i'm getting no crossfire in thief with mantle on, but cfx works fine in DX with mantle off
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:55 PM   #11
rms
Radeon HD 6850

rms is still being judged by the masses

Thief Mantle benchmarks!

A very quick run on my machine: Phenom2 x6 @3.8ghz, and single R290X, 1920x1200, all settings maxxed except SSAA turned off (I'd read there's some conflict between FXAA & SSAA, dunno if true), Catalyst 14.3

DirectX Mantle
Min 29.0 57.4
Max 92.2 111.7
Avg 44.4 78.1
rms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 01:34 PM   #12
Falcon1
Free Bird

Falcon1 is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
i'm getting no crossfire in thief with mantle on, but cfx works fine in DX with mantle off
I can confirm this:

Code:
2560x1080
            Min FPS     Avg FPS      Max FPS
DirectX      42,3        66,1         92,2
Mantle        24         42,7         58,5

1920x1080
DirectX      44,3        65,6          104
Mantle       41,3        52,3         70,4
That is with all settings maxed, including SSAA set to High.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 01:40 PM   #13
Flanker35M
Radeon HD 6870

Flanker35M is still being judged by the masses

S!

Thief works excellante with these drivers. Ran the benchmark with all maxed out at 1920x1080 121Hz, field of view 100. Minimum: 58.1fps Maximum: 95.4fps Average: 70.1fps. Not bad at all.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 02:06 PM   #14
Falcon1
Free Bird

OK, just tested some single GPU performance. There is something really strange going on. With Mantle and only one 7970, the game won't go in Fullscreen, it stays in borderless window, no matter what you set it to be (keeps reverting the option).

Therefore, my single GPU results are kind of bugged... Really annoying. Staying with DX on Thief for now. Works solid and flawless.

All results:

Last edited by Falcon1 : Mar 18, 2014 at 02:46 PM.
Falcon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 02:53 PM   #15
ThirdEye
Déjà vu

ThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppersThirdEye has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

2560x1080 with SSAA High

DX
Min: 28.9 Max: 52.9 Avg: 37.4

Mantle
Min: 32.7 Max: 56.6 Avg: 40.0

yawn
Old Mar 18, 2014, 05:59 PM   #16
DarkFoss
Radeon HD 6970

DarkFoss is still being judged by the masses

Hmm, I'm thinking I'll stick with the 14.2 beta's. From what I see here there is no compelling reason to upgrade since I have 2 7970's and don't own Thief.
FAH performance is excellent as is.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 09:15 PM   #17
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

lovely. used amd uninstall utility and my Windows 7 installation is fried. BSOD, no repair, no safe mode, no nothing. Since I have no restore points, I'm totally fuk3d.

Last edited by Lurk : Mar 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 09:37 PM   #18
Falcon1
Free Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
Since I have no restore points
Hah, that's why I set up an Image software to make complet images of my system drive twice a week
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:19 PM   #19
teiva
Radeon HD 6770

teiva is still being judged by the masses

Definitely an improvement in Thief with Mantle on. It can only get better from here
teiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:03 PM   #20
Ninbri64
Radeon HD 6770

Ninbri64 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm357 View Post
Yeah, whats going on with this... Im still waiting to play BF4 with mantle on my 270x and not have a bunch of stuttering going on. When will all the other cards be fully supported with mantle? Its been a while since AMD has even mentioned that this is even still a problem.
I have two 7970s in crossfire and until this 14.3 update I could not play in Mantle with Battlefield 4. I could physically select it but would give me a very very stuttery and awful experience. Now with Vsync on the game runs better than ever, like butter. I'm totally surprised this driver actually worked for me with Mantle in Battlefield 4. Is the 270x still not supported?
Ninbri64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:14 PM   #21
Dyre Straits
Rage3D Veteran

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
lovely. used amd uninstall utility and my Windows 7 installation is fried. BSOD, no repair, no safe mode, no nothing. Since I have no restore points, I'm totally ****3d.
There is a Warning about using the AMD Install Utility with any AMD CPU and system. It definitely can wreck havoc on your system.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 7970 3 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Windows 7 Pro x64~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Dyre Straits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:04 AM   #22
Roadking
Radeon HD 6850

Roadking is still being judged by the masses

My Thief Benchmark
DX

Min-34 Max-78 Avg-53

Mantle
Min-59 Max-101 Avg-72

Got the driver and patch just in time to play the last two minutes of Thief. Gota love the bait and switch.

Last edited by Roadking : Mar 19, 2014 at 09:42 AM.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:56 AM   #23
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

kakarot is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
lovely. used amd uninstall utility and my Windows 7 installation is fried. BSOD, no repair, no safe mode, no nothing. Since I have no restore points, I'm totally ****3d.

Yeah don't run that on an amd system. Use DDU or Driverfusion instead.
Also i seen people just log in to windows and run it which is asking for trouble. Uninstalling the drivers and then running it in safe mode is the only way to avoid issues regardless of chipset.

Clocks are still sticking with these tho, tested on a clean install and its still the same. Funny how after all these betas and feedback the issue is still not on the known issues list
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 07:43 AM   #24
Jerm357
Rage3D Veteran

Jerm357 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJerm357 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninbri64 View Post
I have two 7970s in crossfire and until this 14.3 update I could not play in Mantle with Battlefield 4. I could physically select it but would give me a very very stuttery and awful experience. Now with Vsync on the game runs better than ever, like butter. I'm totally surprised this driver actually worked for me with Mantle in Battlefield 4. Is the 270x still not supported?
I have not tried yet with the 14.3... the last time I tried was with 14.1 and it was stuttery. I now have 14.2 installed, but I did not try it yet because there was no word about it being fixed in the release notes. Since AMD said that all the other cards but the 290 cards still needed to be optimized for mantle in the 14.1 release notes I figured that once it was done they would tell us. I guess Ill install the new 14.3's today and give it a shot to see if anything has changed.

Edit: Just tested BF4 on Mantle with 14.3 and it is still stuttering more then DX 11 for me.

Last edited by Jerm357 : Mar 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM.
Jerm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:27 AM   #25
Pirate Neilsouth
The undead have returned!

Pirate Neilsouth once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Pirate Neilsouth once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Pirate Neilsouth once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Pirate Neilsouth once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Pirate Neilsouth once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Pirate Neilsouth once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Stop using AMD Install Utility, use the daily-weekly updated DDU!

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379505
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:35 AM   #26
WaltC
Captain Know-it-all

Location: United States Deep in Martian soil where it's warm and the air is good
WaltC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
You may have something else going on.... I have an AMD system (cpu/gpu/core logic) and the only thing I noticed about using the AMD uninstall utility is the annoying fact that it deletes the "AMD" directory and that's where I kept my downloaded driver originals (along with their decompressed versions.) So I started keeping my driver downloads in a folder called "AMD Drivers" (cryptic, eh?) which the uninstall utility doesn't touch. No bsod's, no problems.

With the 14.3b's I installed those right over the top of the 14.2b's, and then read that I should have uninstalled before installing--so I uninstalled everything and then reinstalled 14.3's--again, no problem. No bsods.

Actually, I stopped using the AMD uninstall utility altogether as I found it to be overkill. What works reliably for me is the "Express Uninstall Everything" option in the normal driver uninstall routine--everything except game profiles is uninstalled. Works every time...which I'm glad of.

The major difference between our systems is Crossfire...AMD does indeed have some driver problems if merely the presence of Crossfire is causing problems like yours.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:32 AM   #27
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Location: Manches All hail king Dave, ruler of all Manchesville
JohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English Channel

Subscriber

Argh Lurk, you should not be using that on an amd system it can severely break your windows install, works for some of course but I have read many horror stories just like yours.

The warning should be much bigger, in fact I would go further and say they should just contain it to a GPU driver cleaner not chipset/cpu, they should be manual update only.

Sorry mang
JohnEJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:06 PM   #28
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyre Straits View Post
There is a Warning about using the AMD Install Utility with any AMD CPU and system. It definitely can wreck havoc on your system.

funny how that same window appears when you use express uninstall from the AMD install manager or whatever it's called

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Neilsouth View Post
Stop using AMD Install Utility, use the daily-weekly updated DDU!

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379505
thx 4 the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltC View Post
You may have something else going on.... I have an AMD system (cpu/gpu/core logic) and the only thing I noticed about using the AMD uninstall utility is the annoying fact that it deletes the "AMD" directory and that's where I kept my downloaded driver originals (along with their decompressed versions.) So I started keeping my driver downloads in a folder called "AMD Drivers" (cryptic, eh?) which the uninstall utility doesn't touch. No bsod's, no problems.

With the 14.3b's I installed those right over the top of the 14.2b's, and then read that I should have uninstalled before installing--so I uninstalled everything and then reinstalled 14.3's--again, no problem. No bsods.

Actually, I stopped using the AMD uninstall utility altogether as I found it to be overkill. What works reliably for me is the "Express Uninstall Everything" option in the normal driver uninstall routine--everything except game profiles is uninstalled. Works every time...which I'm glad of.

The major difference between our systems is Crossfire...AMD does indeed have some driver problems if merely the presence of Crossfire is causing problems like yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEJohn View Post
Argh Lurk, you should not be using that on an amd system it can severely break your windows install, works for some of course but I have read many horror stories just like yours.

The warning should be much bigger, in fact I would go further and say they should just contain it to a GPU driver cleaner not chipset/cpu, they should be manual update only.

Sorry mang
To both of you, on my previous system (Win7 - 890FX chipset - AMD PhenomX4 CPU and Crossfired 7950's), I used that darn utility many times w/o ANY issue, then it was removed from AMD's website for a while, then yesterday it re-appeared and I thought what the heck. For some reason this new Win7 installation on revamped system (990FX chipset - AMD FX CPU) didn't like what I was doing.
Pulling my hair thinking I got everything perfectly set up less than a month ago, and now here I'm all-over again having to restart EVERYTHING from scratch. Nothing, NOTHING I did last night allowed me to enter OS in any way, although drive content and RAID array are still intact. Can't believe what a nuisance this is going to be, I'm pissed like a suburban sidewalk.

Thx for your comprehension, guys.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:13 PM   #29
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Location: Manches All hail king Dave, ruler of all Manchesville
JohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English Channel

Subscriber

Quote:
funny how that same window appears when you use express uninstall from the AMD install manager or whatever it's called

thx 4 the link

To both of you, on my previous system (Win7 - 890FX chipset - AMD PhenomX4 CPU and Crossfired 7950's), I used that darn utility many times w/o ANY issue, then it was removed from AMD's website for a while, then yesterday it re-appeared and I thought what the heck. For some reason this new Win7 installation on revamped system (990FX chipset - AMD FX CPU) didn't like what I was doing.
Pulling my hair thinking I got everything perfectly set up less than a month ago, and now here I'm all-over again having to restart EVERYTHING from scratch. Nothing, NOTHING I did last night allowed me to enter OS in any way, although drive content and RAID array are still intact. Can't believe what a nuisance this is going to be, I'm pissed like a suburban sidewalk.

Thx for your comprehension, guys.
It sucks man, sorry to hear about your problems, I thought it was a well known issue but as it has worked for you on other AMD systems I can see why you didn't hesitate.

This is why I always have the following: 1 drive for windows and apps, 1 (or more) drive for games and a couple mirrored for storage. I always make an image of the windows and app drive as soon as all drivers and tweaks have been installed/carried out and everything is pointing in the right direction.

If you have the space/drives to do this I would seriously consider going that route and using something like macrium reflect to image the windows drive.
JohnEJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 02:25 PM   #30
Dwarden
Bohemia Interactive

Dwarden is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyre Straits View Post

it also breaks avast and some other software ...

definitely very bad to nonIT skilled users ...
needed CCC features == online up2date Game profiles or ALL of ATT / RadeonPro (if you fail deliver don't even try say You got technical advantage)
Dwarden is offline   Reply With Quote