Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

"

Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:18 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultypax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultypax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default YES! Found a way to dodge the Windows Live 2011 Essentials update

Which just became obligatory. Probably one of the worst POS addons that has been put out by MS. Avoided it for years until this week as I couldnt even log into messenger until I did the update from 2009 to 2011... till tonight!

1. Click Start.
2. Click Computer.
3. Locate the following folder: (C ProgramFiles(x86); Windows Live; Messenger.
4. Locate the msnmsgr.exe file.
5. Right-click it and from the menu select Properties.
6. Click the Compatibility tab.
7. Now, let’s force WLM to believe that you are on Windows XP. To do this, tick the check box labeled: Run this program in compatibility mode for, located under the Compatibility Mode section and choose Windows XP (Service Pack 3) or Windows 2000.
8. Apply

Source(s):
http://www.webtlk.com/2011/01/25/how...rce-to-update/

Top cheers to the guy who fixed this one!
NEW UBAH RIG 1 Dec 2009! (Upgrade 2 Jan 10th 2011!>> Upgrade 3 Jan 2013): Asus M4A89GTD Pro\USB3 Bios 2001, Phenom2 965 3.4 ghz 125w tdp, 4 x 2 OCZ 7-7-7-20 Patriot Viper ddr3 1600, Sapphire 6950 2GB, July 2014 Cats , X-fi fatality PCI, 1 x 750 GB seagate momentus hybrid drive. 1 x 1TB seagate 7200.11 HD, 1 x 3TB Seagate 7200.12 HD, 1 x 2TB seagate LP, Corsair TX 750w, Asus VS278Q 27" mon (new mon after 8 years of the dell 2405fpw! Very nice upgrade). Win 8.1 Pro

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:08 PM   #2
lemonhead
Radeon HD 6970

lemonhead is still being judged by the masses

For a while I was also looking for taking out this latest Windows Live Essentials update. I use Windows Live Mail, and after getting this update, all my contacts had disappeared. Well, I could actually log-in to my Windows Live (or old Hotmail) account and get my contacts from there but I wanted WLMail to run in standalone mode with all contacts and mails stored locally.

Eventually, I found a way to get the contacts back. Windows Live Mail references a directory nested deep within users\<your account>\appdata folders for the contacts. However Windows also keeps them at users\<your account name>\Contacts. So within WL Mail, open the addresses tab, and then import contacts using the 'local windows contacts' (the choice may be named a bit differently, but you'll know).

I have no other complaints with this update. Although my use is limited to only two components - Windows Live Mail and Photo Gallery.
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote