Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » General Radeon Discussion
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Radeon Discussion General discussion for news and rumours about discrete Radeon graphics products. Do not ask for tech support here, instead please use the Radeon Technical Support forum.

"

Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:05 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Heres the differences of 4870 > 4890, seems everything from the chip, to card, to heatsink were changed.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh....php?p=1299332
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:28 AM   #32
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

From the sounds of it the clock boost with T2 is going to be a bit larger than 4870 to 4890 and unlike 4890 won't come at the expense of more power consumption. If they can do that without extra transistors, power, heat, and noise then that sounds like a good thing to me.
BababooeyHTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:38 AM   #33
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Yeh sounds great to me too, but I think much like the 2700k which replaced the 2600k, only a small premium should be added on top. 2700k launch price was only $14 more than 2600k, and I would expect a similar % for this new card too.

Looking foward to how well they oc, I'm guessing a good 50-100mhz average higher than current 7970.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:42 AM   #34
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Yeh, some rampage.
LOL....but how is it possible to have buyer's remorse for a card you didn't buy?What's the deal with that?

I hope to upgrade my system in a few months.The only candidates are 7970/50 OR 470/480.A processor/MB upgrade/SSD is on the cards but I will swap out the aging 5850 first.

Sounds like there are some good deals at around 400 bucks on amazon.com.
NIGELG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:56 AM   #35
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post
LOL....but how is it possible to have buyer's remorse for a card you didn't buy?What's the deal with that?
You need to let go... I already said it was troll/joke vote because there were zero votes at the time for that option, in that stupid poll. I also said repeatedly I dont know how anyone could have buyers remorse after buying 7970, which are great cards.

I still dont see how that equates to a "rampage".. but thanks for playing
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:08 AM   #36
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
You need to let go... I already said it was troll/joke vote because there were zero votes at the time for that option, in that stupid poll. I also said repeatedly I dont know how anyone could have buyers remorse after buying 7970, which are great cards.

I still dont see how that equates to a "rampage".. but thanks for playing
Everyone here knows your 'rampage'...''better drivers, IQ,moar features,AO,pHYSx'' blah blah blah.

Polls are to be taken seriously in my view.
NIGELG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:33 AM   #37
demo
space cadet

Way to troll this thread. Nice rampage.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:33 AM   #38
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwards

@demo - it was a joke, unwad panties, relax, crack open a cold one

and you're right about the 4870 to 4890, that was a respin - plenty of changes. the info so far about Tahiti is it's a binning change.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:50 AM   #39
Nunz
Rage3D Spammer

Nunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

So all this means is that AMD is going to take more of the higher binned chips.
What happens to the lower bins that don't reach the Ghz edition?
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:54 AM   #40
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
So all this means is that AMD is going to take more of the higher binned chips.
What happens to the lower bins that don't reach the Ghz edition?
7950's, or Tahiti LE (which is likely to be a FirePro replacement for the V5900 and 7900 based on Cayman LE).
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:08 PM   #41
Nunz
Rage3D Spammer

Nunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Should we expect 7950s running even lower voltage with higher clocks?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:19 PM   #42
caveman-jim
Retired

Quote:
Should we expect 7950s running even lower voltage with higher clocks?
Most likely no, same voltage but higher clocks but I'm sure there will be some that run lower voltage, higher clocks.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:08 PM   #43
bill dennison
Rage3D Veteran

bill dennison can recite pi backwardsbill dennison can recite pi backwardsbill dennison can recite pi backwardsbill dennison can recite pi backwardsbill dennison can recite pi backwardsbill dennison can recite pi backwardsbill dennison can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
From the sounds of it the clock boost with T2 is going to be a bit larger than 4870 to 4890 and unlike 4890 won't come at the expense of more power consumption. If they can do that without extra transistors, power, heat, and noise then that sounds like a good thing to me.
yea the 4890's ran a little warm if they can do this T2 for the same heat output it will be good

and T2 you know someone is going to put Arnold on the box
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:36 AM   #44
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Useless edition imo. Unless there is a voltage decrease and significant clocking gains (e.g., above 1200 MHz), will not upgrade.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:52 AM   #45
Nunz
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Useless edition imo. Unless there is a voltage decrease and significant clocking gains (e.g., above 1200 MHz), will not upgrade.
It's not for people to upgrade their current cards.

The respin is for people who don't own HD7970s to have more incentive to buy one..
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:35 AM   #46
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
It's not for people to upgrade their current cards.

The respin is for people who don't own HD7970s to have more incentive to buy one..
Why not release an upgrade. They already made plenty money on their 7970s.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:27 AM   #47
acroig
Master Troll

acroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
The upgrade will be the dual GPU card to compete against the 690.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:48 AM   #48
Nunz
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Because they don't have Tahiti perfected enough to spin a major upgrade..
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:53 PM   #49
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
The upgrade will be the dual GPU card to compete against the 690.
I know that its not going to happen but I'm really hoping that they release 7990 at $800.
BababooeyHTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:20 PM   #50
acroig
Master Troll

acroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestacroig considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
I know that its not going to happen but I'm really hoping that they release 7990 at $800.
$875-900 maybe.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:12 PM   #51
bill dennison
Rage3D Veteran

bill dennison can recite pi backwardsbill dennison can recite pi backwardsbill dennison can recite pi backwardsbill dennison can recite pi backwardsbill dennison can recite pi backwardsbill dennison can recite pi backwardsbill dennison can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
$875-900 maybe.
well when the 7970's came out they said 849
these would be nice for the z77 boards that only can do one slot at pcie 3.0 16x

but no more cards this time for me three is enough for one generation
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:24 PM   #52
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
these would be nice for the z77 boards that only can do one slot at pcie 3.0 16x
Doubt theres any benefit of 1 x 7990 in a 16x pcie 3.0 slot, over 2 x 7970 in 8x pcie 3.0 slots.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:26 AM   #53
bill dennison
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Doubt theres any benefit of 1 x 7990 in a 16x pcie 3.0 slot, over 2 x 7970 in 8x pcie 3.0 slots.
maybe not, but would like to see it tested
and it will depend on what bridge chip they use
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:31 AM   #54
demo
space cadet

Bridge chip on the 7990? I assume its the same PLX chip as used on z77 boards and GTX690, because I dont know of any others that support pcie 3.0.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:35 PM   #55
caveman-jim
Retired

The PLX chip on the 6990 had 48 lanes multiplexed between the two gpu's and the peg slot. so each gpu could have 16 lanes to talk to the rest of the system or 32 to talk to each other.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:30 PM   #56
bill dennison
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
The PLX chip on the 6990 had 48 lanes multiplexed between the two gpu's and the peg slot. so each gpu could have 16 lanes to talk to the rest of the system or 32 to talk to each other.
hmm then the 7990 nay use this one
http://www.techpowerup.com/167683/Sh...Schedules.html

maybe why the 7990 is a little late
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:37 PM   #57
caveman-jim
Retired

I don't think it's likely that AMD would release a dual GPU card that was a near miss to the target - highest performance graphics card. with the 7970 v1 and 680 so close it's only going to take a little bump in speed to get it over the hump, which if you then stuck on a stick you can beat the 690.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:05 PM   #58
demo
space cadet

Yeh imo 7990 should slightly outperform GTX690.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:36 AM   #59
bill dennison
Rage3D Veteran

Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:35 PM   #60
caveman-jim
Retired

Interesting