Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

"
View Poll Results: Do you impound tax and/or insurance?
Yes 4 36.36%
No 5 45.45%
Other (explain) 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12, 2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Subscriber
Default Home "owners": do you impound your taxes and/or insurance?

Why or why not?

Prefer only homeowners vote in the poll but, if others can't resist a poll dance, go ahead and vote what you would choose to do and state why.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Subscriber

I ask because I've done both. I've always impounded both tax and insurance payments on prior mortgages (2), choosing to maintain an escrow account from which the mortgage company pays these bills. On the refi we just completed, I've elected to pay these bills out of pocket so won't be paying into an escrow account. Why? Because at the end of the day I'm still responsible for the payments. If the mortgage company, for whatever reason, is late on a payment - they'll gladly pay the fees ... out of the escrow account. Case in point - my statement shows that the mortgage company was late on the tax payment, so my escrow account absorbed a 10% late fee on the payment. Noice.

I'm very good at budgeting, so I'd rather have the responsibility myself, if I'm paying the cost one way or the other. Plus might as well have the monies sitting in our accounts accruing interest instead of the bank cashing in on it.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:25 AM   #3
jsmc
Radeon HD 6770

jsmc is still being judged by the masses

When I bought my place the bank required a escrow account and they royally screwed it up, miss a tax payment tried overcharging for my insurance and just generally sucked. After refinance made a deal with the servicing company that I would maintain my own escrow account. pay my insurance a year at a time and put away enough every month for the taxes into an account separate from my regular checking and savings that is only used for taxes that way there can be no mistakes and no chance of somebody(my wife) spending the money.

Just made my first tax payment and they went up by $200.00 but my place went down in value by $3000.00 PC needs to stop this silly estimating and go back to physically valuing property.

Last edited by jsmc : May 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
jsmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 13, 2012, 01:44 AM   #4
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOzzieBloke doesn't need no stinkin' badges

No. But I put a 50% deposit on my house and have a 10 year mortgage that will be paid off in 4 years. No need for it.
You put your left foot in, you take your left foot out, you put your left foot in, and you shake it all about. You do the Hokey Pokey and you turn around, and that's probably the first sign you suffer from severe OCD.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 08:34 AM   #5
swingline
Find Fix FINISH

swingline can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundswingline can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundswingline can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundswingline can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundswingline can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundswingline can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundswingline can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundswingline can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundswingline can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundswingline can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundswingline can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Subscriber

My taxes are paid through escrow and haven't had a problem in the 4+ years we've had the loan.

Your escrow getting hit with a late fee is complete BS and you should have been on the horn with someone getting it straightened out.

The only benefit I see to paying it myself would be having that money earning interest. I have enough bills to pay on-line/mail each month so having another on top of that doesn't appeal to me for what seems like little gain.
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Greasy
Rage3D Spammer

Greasy is not someone to be trifled withGreasy is not someone to be trifled withGreasy is not someone to be trifled withGreasy is not someone to be trifled withGreasy is not someone to be trifled withGreasy is not someone to be trifled withGreasy is not someone to be trifled withGreasy is not someone to be trifled with

We did escrow taxes/insurance on our old house, but chose not to on the one we're building.

I would rather keep that money on hand, and not have to worry about the bank screwing up.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Bires
Tasty Human!

Bires can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBires can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBires can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

No. Any impounding is giving the mortgage company an interest free loan.

I just stay prepared with a cash pile in savings.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Lupine
Administrator

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
Your escrow getting hit with a late fee is complete BS and you should have been on the horn with someone getting it straightened out.
Property taxes were due at the end of April, and the online statement shows the proper amount - which is what I check. The "1st half 2012 + penalty" bit is on the refinance settlement paperwork from the title company; I'll find out Monday why they entered it in that way - more likely the funds are still in Escrow since again the mortgage company's online records show the appropriate deduction, and this is simply a recording issue. Bottom line though, I'd prefer to have the responsibility. If it were a late payment, the homeowner is ultimately responsible, horn or not.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Shadowless
U Mad Bro?

Shadowless once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Shadowless once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Shadowless once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Shadowless once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Shadowless once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Shadowless once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

When me and my ex had our house we had an escrow account. Just makes it easier.
Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.0GHz | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Samsung 830 SSD | 1TB Samsung HDD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | MSI Hawk Radeon HD 6870 w/ Arctic Twin Turbo II | CrossFireX | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750 | Acer D241Hbmi | Windows 8.1 Pro

MSI ATX Case | MSI Z68A-G45 | Intel Core i5 2400 | Delux Infinity Air Cooler | 2x2GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 160GB Western Digital SATA | 16x Samsung DVD-R/RW | Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 | CoolMax 400w Power Supply | Samsung 21" LCD | Windows 7 Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRimm862 View Post
...if it wasn't for my mac my penis would be dry and brittle by now. Thank god. No thank mac. :heart:
Shadowless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 11:28 AM   #10
Meteor|WAR
Total bummer

Meteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled with

On both my properties I have the mortgage company handling the tax and insurance payments through an escrow. I have enough bills to keep track of as it is, and in 5 years there's never been an issue with a late payment. Honestly, I wish I could have utility bills handled by someone else too.
Meteor|WAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 12:13 PM   #11
Meteor|WAR
Total bummer

Meteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct13 View Post
I've always paid cash for cars and homes and avoided the added cost and hassle of financing.
Must be nice.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:51 PM   #12
Lupine
Administrator

Subscriber

Quote:
No, actually it wasn't. Instead of of stundent loans, I paid my way working two or more jobs while attending school part time. Instead of blowing money on beer and parties, I lived on beans and water and even slept in my car for a year. Instead of flashy sports cars or SUVs, I drove the cheap clunkers nobody else wanted to drive. And instead of financing a home as soon as I got a good job, I continued live frugally and was able to pay cash for one just a few years later.
Growing up I was often embarrassed about the cars my parents drove and envied the vacations and luxuries my friends' families seemingly could afford. Looking back though, I'm thankful for the lessons my parents taught me about living well within my means and understand the choices they made. It wasn't that they couldn't have chosen a luxurious and debt-ridden lifestyle, its that they chose to give us a much greater gift by providing an example of living well. Shame I didn't follow that example until much later in my life.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:57 PM   #13
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykoralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykoralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Many mortgagers require one or both, because they don't trust you to make the payments.

Previous mortgager had both. New one only does taxes.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 03:00 PM   #14
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykoralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykoralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Case in point - my statement shows that the mortgage company was late on the tax payment, so my escrow account absorbed a 10% late fee on the payment. Noice.
Go to your state's attorney general. If THEY are the ones paying it, they have the fiduciary duty to you to pay it on time. If they don't pay it on time, they should be sucking up the cost.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 03:34 PM   #15
Meteor|WAR
Total bummer

Quote:
No, actually it wasn't. Instead of of stundent loans, I paid my way working two or more jobs while attending school part time. Instead of blowing money on beer and parties, I lived on beans and water and even slept in my car for a year. Instead of flashy sports cars or SUVs, I drove the cheap clunkers nobody else wanted to drive. And instead of financing a home as soon as I got a good job, I continued live frugally and was able to pay cash for one just a few years later.
Well good for you then.

If you managed to save up enough to afford to purchase a house in cash by just living frugle that's amazing. You must have had a decent income though, or got a steal of a deal.