Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » CATALYST Drivers
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CATALYST Drivers Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Catalyst Drivers. Please put Linux-specific driver posts and Remote Wonder discussion in their respective forums.

"

Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:03 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
chucky2
Radeon HD 6670

chucky2 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
1.) Actually listing 9xx must be new for 12.4.

2.) Navigate there by chosing 9-series from their main page driver dropdown. You'll be navigating an awefully long time...

Chuck
chucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:05 PM   #92
chucky2
Radeon HD 6670

chucky2 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blín D'ñero View Post
Just one would be fine for you you say, well can't you read?
As long as it supports every feature, has a CCC, etc. then I'd be fine with that. I'd obviously be much more fine with them doing what their main graphics competitor has somehow been able to 1.) figure out and 2.) do for years now, but, if it truly is fully featured, brings CCC, then for these older products that would be minimally acceptable.

Chuck
chucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:11 PM   #93
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
I dont care if the driver code changes or not. I wont be able to install win8, run a game and force 4xAA - because i wont even have a CCC. A 6600GT user can enable AA in cs 1.6 or whatever he plays. I think it's got more support than my HD4890 at least.
Windows 8 isn't out yet, so I don't see how you make this statement. If you're basing your decision on preview OS support drivers, I think you're making a mistake. Plus, as posted above, Windows 8 will come with a driver supporting those cards. So a non-issue.

Quote:
from now on it'll be nvidia for me.
You keep posting that like it means something to anyone other than you. It doesn't. Spend your money how you want, nobody but you cares.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:30 PM   #94
void4ever
Radeon HD 7970

void4ever is still being judged by the masses

The internet cares Jim.... the internet CARES........

Void4ever

Secondary Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Core i7-920 @ 2.8ghz | 12 gig Triple Channel Gskill 1333mhz 7-7-7-18 | MSI 6970 | X-plosion 7.1 | Westinghouse LCM22w3+Westinghouse VM-42F140S | Corsair CMPSU-850TX | Win7 SP1 x64

HTPC Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 | Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.4ghz | 8 gig Dual Channel Gskill 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 | Sapphire 5770 | X-Mystique 7.1 Gold | Westinghouse VM-42F140S | CoolergiantVHB 480W | Win7 SP1 x64
void4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 03:18 PM   #95
Clockwork
Rage3D Spammer

Clockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Windows 8 isn't out yet, so I don't see how you make this statement. If you're basing your decision on preview OS support drivers, I think you're making a mistake. Plus, as posted above, Windows 8 will come with a driver supporting those cards. So a non-issue.
When has an MS "in the box" driver ever had CCC included?

That is the point us 4xxx (and earlier series) users are upset about.

Do a fresh install of Win 7 and you'll see the same thing Win 8 users are going to get. A generic bare bones driver without a control panel/customization that CCC offers.

It's sad when you have a card that still offers decent performance and is far from obsolete in that regard, but a company chooses to render it as such anyway.
"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides." - Carl Sagan
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 03:22 AM   #96
zarxy

zarxy is still being judged by the masses

It is possible they drop support for the older cards only because they are from ATI times, and they probably want to support their own new amd cards.
zarxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 02:11 PM   #97
Blín D'ñero
HD7970 crossfire

Blín D'ñero is still being judged by the masses

Your post makes no sense. Since AMD bought ATI, ATI is part of AMD. Their support choices are based on technology, not on names.
Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz | Zalman CPNS9900LED | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 DDR3 | 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 (crossfire) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro | Corsair AX 1200W | 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX | Optiarc AD 5240S | Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 | Steelseries 7G | Razer Imperator 2012 | Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 | Logitech Z-5500 | Sennheiser HD598 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 |
Blín D'ñero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 11:45 AM   #98
dmanna
Radeon HD 6970

dmanna is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Actually by the time the EOL hits the RV7xx series will be over 4 years old. This is typical for a hardware life span, anywhere from 3 to 5 years. That's not to say AMD will never release a driver again, if they deem it necessary they will release a hotfix driver.

Really you have 3 generations released after the 4xxx, more then likely you would or should have upgraded the hardware within that 3 generation gap. Start looking at a nice upgrade, you may find something for a good buy in the 6xxx or possibly the 7xxx that will increase peformance substantialy for you and give you some new features.
Yeah but the 4xxx series cards are still very capable cards. I think AMD should at least update those drivers a couple times a year.

A 4870x2 or 4890 can still max out most games with AA. i kinda have an issue with this and this does not effect me because I have a 7970 but still...
dmanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 12:30 PM   #99
Blín D'ñero
HD7970 crossfire

Blín D'ñero is still being judged by the masses

Because most games are non-DX11 and yes 4870X2 eats most of them for breakfast.
Doesn't change the fact that from HD5xxx to HD7xxx AMD is supporting 3 generations of DX11 architecture in one driversset.
HD4xxx still gets some updates when needed just not in the same set and not every month. So what. If you want all graphic features in the latest games you need a newer card anyway.
Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz | Zalman CPNS9900LED | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 DDR3 | 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 (crossfire) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro | Corsair AX 1200W | 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX | Optiarc AD 5240S | Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 | Steelseries 7G | Razer Imperator 2012 | Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 | Logitech Z-5500 | Sennheiser HD598 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 |
Blín D'ñero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 01:19 PM   #100
Nunz
Blueshirt

Nunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Tell that to nVidia who is still releasing new drivers for the 6xxx / 7xxx series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curio on GTA V View Post
I start feeling like crap after a while - and not just from sitting all day playing video games and not taking care of myself; but this **** always makes me real cynical. I start hating people, hating America, hating life in general. I swear this game slowly starts making me a sociopath.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 02:39 PM   #101
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Talon_262 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanna View Post
Yeah but the 4xxx series cards are still very capable cards. I think AMD should at least update those drivers a couple times a year.

A 4870x2 or 4890 can still max out most games with AA. i kinda have an issue with this and this does not effect me because I have a 7970 but still...
Uhh, they will be; as a matter of fact, IIRC, the 2000/3000/4000 series cards will go to a quarterly driver release schedule starting with 12.5 (a fact stated in the beginning of the thread). However, no changes will be made to the base driver code, only hotfixes to address specific issues; for Crossfire/dual-GPU card users, we'll still have the monthly (or so) CAP releases.

My 4850 X2 is still a champ and I'll probably use it until either I can justify spending the coin on a newer card or the 4850 X2 goes tits up. However, the 4000-series drivers, at this point, are very mature and don't require as much tweaking from the driver devs as drivers for the newer cards; besides, if there are issues, we'll still have quarterly updates.

Last edited by Talon_262 : May 12, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Talon_262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 03:36 PM   #102
WaltC
Captain Know-it-all

Location: United States Deep in Martian soil where it's warm and the air is good
WaltC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post

Do a fresh install of Win 7 and you'll see the same thing Win 8 users are going to get. A generic bare bones driver without a control panel/customization that CCC offers.

It's sad when you have a card that still offers decent performance and is far from obsolete in that regard, but a company chooses to render it as such anyway.
If someone has told you that Windows 8 will be a better gaming OS than Windows 7, I'd appreciate it if you'd supply an appropriate link. Microsoft is going to support Windows 7 for several years beyond the ship date of Windows 8. Aside from that, though--I have yet to read how Windows 8 will provide a better gaming environment than Windows 7.

Assuming that you own your 3d card to play 3d games, not to just run a browser, you might actually be *better off* hanging with Windows 7 for awhile longer. It isn't clear you've even thought about this very much...
Old May 13, 2012, 10:43 AM   #103
karlotta
they are real

karlotta is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post

Dude? you never get ContolPanels from HW drivers in the default Windows install. As it should be.
So what is your point? Win8 not having AMD CCC/real driver support? Welcome to AMD....maybe Spryeria will tell us he is testing a CCC right now?

@Walt, Win8 is better than win7 under the hood, using it all the time now. But of course no AMD help....
karlotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 09:02 PM   #104
kinney
old school ownage

kinney is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I dont care if the driver code changes or not. I wont be able to install win8, run a game and force 4xAA - because i wont even have a CCC. A 6600GT user can enable AA in cs 1.6 or whatever he plays. I think it's got more
support than my HD4890 at least.

I dont need to waste rage3ds bandwidth with this anymore. I got dissapointed and thats that. Had i gone GTX 285/275 i wouldnt have to deal with this crap. Live and learn, and from now on it'll be nvidia for me.
I'd agree they need to make a bare CCC available on their site for Win8 users to install to work with the base Windows8 WHQL legacy driver. Don't even offer a driver, but offer CCC to install that will interact with it properly.

That's really not much to ask for. Driver updates is a business/tech decision, more than that is not within anyones power here. Spyre/Jim could probably pass along to AMD that this would be an easy task and community builder.

If I were within AMD, or calling any shots I'd do this for the good of the AMD community.

It's not difficult to make the pulldown menus on AMD.com for 3xxx/4xxx Win8 drivers go to a page explaining that only the base WHQL driver is available- but that you can download this CCC version to work with it if you wish. They don't have to support it, but allow the guys with a friggin X2 card the ability to tweak profiles, install new CAPs ect.

Dell E6430 (i5 3320M) | Intel X25-V G2 40GB | Win7Pro64
kinney is offline   Reply With Quote