Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » General Radeon Discussion
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Radeon Discussion General discussion for news and rumours about discrete Radeon graphics products. Do not ask for tech support here, instead please use the Radeon Technical Support forum.

"

Old May 4, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1141
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Higgy10
Rage3D Veteran

Higgy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird sings

CFX 290
24" Samsung LCD x3
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:49 AM   #1142
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ is still being judged by the masses

Called that one. I'm sure that there are a bunch of 680s that will boost high and beat the 7970. I'm also sure there are just as many if not more that will only boost to the minimum or just above it that won't beat the 7970.
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1143
Nunz
Blueshirt

Nunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I haven't seen a single GTX680 that only boosts to the minimum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curio on GTA V View Post
I start feeling like crap after a while - and not just from sitting all day playing video games and not taking care of myself; but this **** always makes me real cynical. I start hating people, hating America, hating life in general. I swear this game slowly starts making me a sociopath.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 4, 2012, 06:04 PM   #1144
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

muzz is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
very interesting results and conclusions
I was gonna post that last night when I saw it....but it would just cause problems with The Infidels and Non-Believers!!
Old May 9, 2012, 12:07 AM   #1145
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Better roll with those results.. they tell you want you want to hear.. ignore the other 99%.
Old May 9, 2012, 02:40 AM   #1146
noko
Rage3D Veteran

noko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynoko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Ignore boosting the 7970s even a tad and call the 680 a winner endlessly .

How about choosing the one that best fits what you want to do. The numbers in anycase are so close as it is and some beating one over the other depending upon benchmark and time of day maybe - who cares?
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 07:29 AM   #1147
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I agree noko, lets roll with those results. Ignore the rest.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:00 AM   #1148
noko
Rage3D Veteran

noko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynoko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

They are both awesome cards with each having some unique features. Hopefully NVidia will get the supply up for buyers.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:25 PM   #1149
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Better roll with those results.. they tell you want you want to hear.. ignore the other 99%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
Ignore boosting the 7970s even a tad and call the 680 a winner endlessly .

How about choosing the one that best fits what you want to do. The numbers in anycase are so close as it is and some beating one over the other depending upon benchmark and time of day maybe - who cares?
Quote:
I agree noko, lets roll with those results. Ignore the rest.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 11:27 PM   #1150
noko
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post

Fanboys from both clubs

You do
Old May 10, 2012, 01:11 AM   #1151
noko
Rage3D Veteran

On related note, this is what Damage says at Tech Report in 690 review thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage
1) If you look at *ahem* our GTX 680 review, we said at the time that the 680 and 7970 were essentially in a dead heat, performance-wise. The 7970 was a little ahead in the 99th percentile metric, while the GTX 680 had a slightly higher FPS average.

2) We increased the display resolution tested here from a mix of 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 to 5760x1200. With that move, memory becomes more important than ever. The 7970 has a wider memory interface, more bandwidth, and 3GB of RAM versus the 680's 2GB. I'd expect the bandwidth to be more of an advantage than the capacity, really, but either way, these really high resolutions are home turf for the bigger chip with the more robust memory subsystem.
Too bad TechReport didn't up the OverDrive, even a tad bit more. Oh well AMD will resort to the Gigahertz edition shortly.

Also Damage pretty much reflects what Shadow has been saying for awhile on memory bandwidth as note 2.

Last edited by noko : May 10, 2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:35 AM   #1152
jam2k

jam2k is still being judged by the masses

AMD Counter-Attacks GeForce GTX 670, Questions NVIDIA's Kepler Availability

Quote:
NVIDIA may be launching a GTX 670 in a couple of hours, but that did not stop a PR representative from AMD to publicly question the availability of NVIDIA hardware. Instead of providing a comment, we have decided to leave the email "as is" and leave you to comment on the subject.

Tell us what do you think, do you agree with this assesment or did the Kepler GPU architecture turned to be a much more dangerous competitor than AMD planned?

"With so many product launches happening in the last few weeks, we felt you’d find it useful to have a look at this recap of some of the benefits of our current AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 series graphics products.

Both the AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 and AMD Radeon™ HD 7950 graphics cards are available in volume from all major etailers, with plenty of overclocked and AMD Eyefinity Technology designs from our AIBs. The AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 is available for as low as $479, while the AMD Radeon™ HD 7950 is available for as low as $399. We expect to continue to have strong supply on all of our 28nm GPUs going forward. In contrast,both GTX 680 and GTX 690 have not been supplied in any significant volume and continue to be unavailable at major stores like Newegg in the US and Alternate Europe (as of noon, Wednesday May 8th).

With every AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 Series purchase, you can take advantage of our Three For Free program and get a free copy of DiRT Showdown, Deus Ex: Human Revolution (with the Explosive Mission Pack DLC expansion), and Nexuiz. Together, these three games are worth $100. Please see links below.

Additionally, Graphics Core Next continues to deliver more than just gaming, with recent announcements such as Adobe Creative Suite 6, WinZip 16.5, GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program), and vReveal now taking advantage of OpenCL acceleration. This is evidence of AMD's commitment to making the GPU relevant for more than just gaming. As these major consumer applications are starting to leverage GPU compute, NVIDIA has regressed on compute features and performance relative to their previous generation.

With 3GB of GDDR5 memory, and a 384-bit memory bus, the AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 Series continues to excel at ultra-high resolution gaming (2560x1600 and Eyefinity), and is designed to let you max out settings in the latest games. We urge you to focus on maxed settings at 2560x1600 or higher resolution in your reviews.

AMD Eyefinity Technology continues to be the most advanced multi-display technology on the market. With support for up to 6 displays, Radeons offer the flexibility for gamers to run in countless configurations, ranging from triple-panel landscape or portrait modes, all the way up to the ultimate Eyefinity-5 and Eyefinity-6 configurations. Since the technology’s launch in 2009, we have continually polished our solution and Eyefinity delivers the most comprehensive set of multi-display features.

AMD ZeroCore Power continues to be exclusive to AMD Radeon GPUs, and offers the best idle power of any graphics card on the market. Kepler based products will continue to waste electricity, produce unnecessary noise, and generate unwanted heat even when the PC is not in use. Additionally, AMD ZeroCore Power Technology’s benefits are multiplied when multiple cards are used in Crossfire.

Given these features and advantages, and that NVIDIA keeps their recent Kepler-based products at paperware-status, we feel Radeon products are uniquely positioned in the market for continued success.

Last edited by jam2k : May 10, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
jam2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 10:03 AM   #1153
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I doubt they'll get many more emails from AMD PR before product launches now
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 02:13 AM   #1154
demo
space cadet

Lol wah wah from AMD PR.
Old May 12, 2012, 08:32 AM   #1155
Nunz
Blueshirt

Nunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

LOL @ the PR Statement.. GTX670s had plenty of stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curio on GTA V View Post
I start feeling like crap after a while - and not just from sitting all day playing video games and not taking care of myself; but this **** always makes me real cynical. I start hating people, hating America, hating life in general. I swear this game slowly starts making me a sociopath.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 03:27 PM   #1156
Blín D'ñero
HD7970 crossfire

Blín D'ñero is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
LOL @ the PR Statement.. GTX670s had plenty of stock.
LOL@ the Nunz statement.

@ Newegg GTX670 page with 7 brands/models, only 1 in stock. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tx+670&x=0&y=0

@ Newegg HD7970 page with 17 brands/models only 3 out of stock for the rest all available: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...HD7970&x=0&y=0
Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz | Zalman CPNS9900LED | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 DDR3 | 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 (crossfire) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro | Corsair AX 1200W | 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX | Optiarc AD 5240S | Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 | Steelseries 7G | Razer Imperator 2012 | Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 | Logitech Z-5500 | Sennheiser HD598 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 |

Last edited by Blín D'ñero : May 14, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Blín D'ñero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 06:02 AM   #1157
noko
Rage3D Veteran

They have 580's though for $549 yet AMD is the one that should drop the prices less then $400 for the 7970's .

Well let see if the 670 pond drys up in the next couple of weeks and see how long before it rains again. 680 pond and the 690 pond looks like they are being filled in with gravel.
Old May 15, 2012, 06:22 AM   #1158
demo
space cadet

Pretty sure $549 isnt nvidias MSRP for 580 noko..
Old May 15, 2012, 06:40 AM   #1159
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

Was there a worldwide handout of brandpolarizing glasses I missed somewhere?

TBH you guys make me go crazy. If someone raises an argument for brand/card A, the amount of sources don't matter and all else is a lie. If the same happens for brand/card B you choose to ignore it and shout out "shenz" faster then you can see "BUT!".

The facts are:
- Both cards are great, but high priced.
- Both win some and lose some benchmarks.
- Both cards will do great in present games at least.
- Differences in raw FPS is in most cases negligible on total FPS. (62 vs 68 FPS max will not make a game playable or unplayable allthough it is a 8.835% difference. As long as minimum FPS is on par)
- In few cases the difference is significant, If you play exactly those games, base your choice on that.
- Both are not the end all be all for gaming.

On the AMD email: Though it isn't nice on its own we all have seen far worse ways of marketing
Old May 15, 2012, 10:43 AM   #1160
noko
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PyroPath View Post
Was there a worldwide handout of brandpolarizing glasses I missed somewhere?

TBH you guys make me go crazy. If someone raises an argument for brand/card A, the amount of sources don't matter and all else is a lie. If the same happens for brand/card B you choose to ignore it and shout out "shenz" faster then you can see "BUT!".

The facts are:
- Both cards are great, but high priced.
- Both win some and lose some benchmarks.
- Both cards will do great in present games at least.
- Differences in raw FPS is in most cases negligible on total FPS. (62 vs 68 FPS max will not make a game playable or unplayable allthough it is a 8.835% difference. As long as minimum FPS is on par)
- In few cases the difference is significant, If you play exactly those games, base your choice on that.
- Both are not the end all be all for gaming.

On the AMD email: Though it isn't nice on its own we all have seen far worse ways of marketing
Could not have said it better!

Except one is easy to buy and well the other . . .
Old May 15, 2012, 12:38 PM   #1161
Blín D'ñero
HD7970 crossfire

Blín D'ñero is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Pretty sure $549 isnt nvidias MSRP for 580 noko..
It's the 3GB version...
And if that's not MSRP, what about newegg's 7970 prices?

In the Netherlands, cheapest 2GB GTX680 (non available) is 468.00 EUR = 597.150 USD
Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz | Zalman CPNS9900LED | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 DDR3 | 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 (crossfire) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro | Corsair AX 1200W | 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX | Optiarc AD 5240S | Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 | Steelseries 7G | Razer Imperator 2012 | Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 | Logitech Z-5500 | Sennheiser HD598 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 |
Blín D'ñero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 01:11 PM   #1162
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blín D'ñero View Post
It's the 3GB version...

In the Netherlands, cheapest 2GB GTX680 (non available) is 468.00 EUR = 597.150 USD
You have to correct for sales tax though because in the US of A they don't show it in the price:
Then it's €393 which is $501 before taxes.
Cheapest 7970 is €328 before taxes, which is $418

Last edited by The PyroPath : May 15, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
The PyroPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 01:59 PM   #1163
AGibbon
heh

AGibbon can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAGibbon can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAGibbon can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yea, local Frys had some EVGA 580s on the shelf for 429.00 today.
8 gigs Crucial DDR3-1333 Memory
1x LG sata Optical drive
1x WD sata (1TB) Black
1x Maxtor (320 gig external)
Asus Xonar D2X Sound Card
CM-GX 750w P.S.U.
2x Asus VS229 IPS monitors
Cooler Master 932 HAF Case
Win7 x64

http://www.theville.org HL Mod gaming at its best.
AGibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 02:34 PM   #1164
train2win
Rage3D Veteran

train2win is still being judged by the masses

The Nvidia cards are barely available at my local computer shops in Canada while the Radeons are plentiful.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:22 PM   #1165
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blín D'ñero View Post
It's the 3GB version...

And? Nvidia don't make 3GB GTX580's, so its not Nvidias MSRP. Its 3rd party prices.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:47 PM   #1166
noko
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by train2win View Post
The Nvidia cards are barely available at my local computer shops in Canada while the Radeons are plentiful.
I can't help but believe Nvidia will have a new stepping to improve yields in the very near future, like the 5xx series did over the short lived 4xx series. Still this will take time while Nvidia was successfull in getting mind share in the short term but the lack of supply and subsequent balloning of prices from that will turn that around. Especially if the low supplies last several months.

As for AMD marketing, unless they promote OCing and show benchmarks at higher resolutions and settings will be in a squeeze. I hope AMD does a refresh of the high end, get good coverage of performance and features and sell it at the 680 price.

When a broad base of games are used at higher resolutions and settings as in the 7970, even at stock speeds compare well against the 680. A 10% OC in this case would clearly put it over the top but I hope AMD at least goes to 1025mhz with an OverDrive boost setting that is similar to Nvdia boost. Call it boost to so reviewers won't call it the evil OCing word that they can't do even though the card will OC better then any other card in history. Also have it as a driver feature which you can turn off for better power savings, more green then the green team . On by default (mainly because many reviewers would refuse to use it since it wasn't turned on in the first place even though it is right there glaring at them, kinda like OverDrive).

Then again throw in a super green setting, power mizer dream from a big powerful card. Reduced clock speeds and power to like 800/1000 or less automatically for those old games etc that really don't need it, make it fps based. Something most would never used but would be cool to throw at Nvidia for mind share wars on countless forums where members will spends eons of time defending and how caring and great AMD is .

AMD push those OEM sells, particulary with Intel setups where Nvidia seems to be getting a share with older less capable GPUs. Plus where are the coupons and discounts combining AMD graphics with AMD cpu's? This will also sell AMD chipsets, memory etc.

Last edited by noko : May 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:58 PM   #1167
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyTreeckcold57 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
I can't help but believe Nvidia will have a new stepping to improve yields in the very near future, like the 5xx series did over the short lived 4xx series. Still this will take time while Nvidia was successfull in getting mind share in the short term but the lack of supply and subsequent balloning of prices from that will turn that around. Especially if the low supplies last several months.

As for AMD marketing, unless they promote OCing and show benchmarks at higher resolutions and settings will be in a squeeze. I hope AMD does a refresh of the high end, get good coverage of performance and features and sell it at the 680 price.

When a broad base of games are used at higher resolutions and settings as in the 7970, even at stock speeds compare well against the 680. A 10% OC in this case would clearly put it over the top but I hope AMD at least goes to 1025mhz with an OverDrive boost setting that is similar to Nvdia boost. Call it boost to so reviewers won't call it the evil OCing word that they can't do even though the card will OC better then any other card in history. Also have it as a driver feature which you can turn off for better power savings, more green then the green team . On by default (mainly because many reviewers would refuse to use it since it wasn't turned on in the first place even though it is right there glaring at them, kinda like OverDrive).

Then again throw in a super green setting, power mizer dream from a big powerful card. Reduced clock speeds and power to like 800/1000 or less for those old games etc that really don't need it. Something most would never used but would be cool to throw at Nvidia for mind share wars on countless forums where members will spends eons of time defending and how caring and great AMD is .

AMD push those OEM sells, particulary with Intel setups where Nvidia seems to be getting a share with older less capable GPUs. Plus where are the coupons and discounts combining AMD graphics with AMD cpu's? This will also sell AMD chipsets, memory etc.
Yeah, something like that...maybe. Did you know AMD won't able to release the Sea Islands next-gen cards until 2013? It should be more interesting when we're in 2013 cause I'm not sure if I want to buy a 7970 or should I wait for a re-spin 7970...
ATI Mobility X1600 256MB
Hitachi 80GB 5400RPM
Windows XP Pro

Treeckcold57 F@H stat
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 12:03 AM   #1168
noko
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
And? Nvidia don't make 3GB GTX580's, so its not Nvidias MSRP. Its 3rd party prices.
So who would spend $549 for a 3gb 580 vice $449 for a 3gb 7970? Retards? Definitely not gamers, maybe Cuda programmers or users but that is about it. Oh, pure 100% refined and brainwashed fanboys maybe too.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:25 AM   #1169
demo
space cadet

No one, but whats that got to do with what I said? Those prices are obviously not Nvidia MSRP, they dont even make 3GB reference models.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:34 AM   #1170
noko
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
Yeah, something like that...maybe. Did you know AMD won't able to release the Sea Islands next-gen cards until 2013? It should be more interesting when we're in 2013 cause I'm not sure if I want to buy a 7970 or should I wait for a re-spin 7970...
I say buy when you want or need to, waiting for unknown products or unavailable products usually just get frustrating. For example I bought my 7970 in January, been getting the benefits of that purchase since then plus allowed me to move up in size in a monitor earlier and get benefits from that as well. Now I am tempted in buying another 7970 since at $449 to me is awesome! Except I don't like hearing about CFX issues, I just like stable consistent systems and that maybe is not for me but then again . . .