Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

"

Old May 10, 2012, 05:25 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
BENCHMARKMAN
Rage3D Veteran

BENCHMARKMAN is still being judged by the masses

Default Coax to HDMI

I want to get the Sony Blu Ray player with google TV but it only has HDMI input. I have comcast cable and I want to run that through the blu ray player but unfrotunatly my cable connection is through coax and a digital converter box that was provided by comcast. I've found online some very expensive devices ($150) that will convert coax to HDMI but they also include TV tuners, which I don't need. Is there an adapter or some kind of box that I could get to be able to make the connection?
BENCHMARKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Why can't both devices just plug into your tv?

"Optimists believe this is the best of all possible worlds. Pessimists fear that it is true."
-Robert Oppenheimer

"I love my dog. But my doctor say we cannot make babies. I guess we'll adopt children and just have sechs."
-SpongeBebop, Rage3D 2003

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the group. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friederich Nietzsche on James Crivellone

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Intel Q9550 (400x8.5 1.25v stock HSF)
Corsair HX620
4GB Mushkin XP2 DDR2 PC-8500 (500 5-5-5-2)
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD
Logitech EasyCall Desktop KB + Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
T9300 2.5GHz 6MB Cache VM-enabled
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1
HDMI audio-capable output

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB
500GB Western Digital + 250GB Maxtor HDs
Samsung 50" PN50C550 Plasma TV

Dark Knight Modded Xbox 360 Premium (Launch)
XBox 360 RE5 Elite (Jasper)
Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 08:24 AM   #3
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwards

If you want to connect COAX TV feed to a HDMI input, you need a tuner. That's your digital convertor box. It gives the output you need - HDMI - to your TV already.

Are you out of HDMI inputs on your TV?
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 10, 2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Eisberg
Lettuce? I don't get it

Eisberg exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselEisberg exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselEisberg exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselEisberg exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselEisberg exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselEisberg exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselEisberg exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselEisberg exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselEisberg exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselEisberg exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselEisberg exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Yeah, unless you are willing to pay that $150, I would just upgrade to HD with Comcast.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 05:28 PM   #5
BENCHMARKMAN
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
If you want to connect COAX TV feed to a HDMI input, you need a tuner. That's your digital convertor box. It gives the output you need - HDMI - to your TV already.

Are you out of HDMI inputs on your TV?
No I'm not out of hdmi ports. I want to put the cable through the blu ray player so that I don't have to switch inputs when I went to watch cable or blu ray/Netflix.

Not sure why you say my converter box gives me hdmi? All my converter box has is 1 coax input and 1 coax output, no hdmi.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:20 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwardscaveman-jim can recite pi backwards

Sorry, I thought you said that it was connected by HDMI, my bad.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 04:40 PM   #7
DigitalDemon
Birth CTRL+Z

DigitalDemon can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDigitalDemon can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDigitalDemon can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Your best bet is to rent a HD receiver from Comcast and connect it to the Sony NSZ-GT1. You can also buy a receiver and rent a cable card.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 06:31 PM   #8
BENCHMARKMAN
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
Your best bet is to rent a HD receiver from Comcast and connect it to the Sony NSZ-GT1. You can also buy a receiver and rent a cable card.
Unfortunately that would raise my monthly Comcast bill by around $50 because I would have to upgrade my plan and pay monthly rental fee
Old May 11, 2012, 06:40 PM   #9
DigitalDemon
Birth CTRL+Z

DigitalDemon can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDigitalDemon can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDigitalDemon can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENCHMARKMAN View Post
Unfortunately that would raise my monthly Comcast bill by around $50 because I would have to upgrade my plan and pay monthly rental fee
You can also buy a Tivo. About $150 new, or around $100 used. Tivo service and cable card rental will run about $20 a month.

How many channels are you currently receiving?
Old May 11, 2012, 07:08 PM   #10
BENCHMARKMAN
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
You can also buy a Tivo. About $150 new, or around $100 used. Tivo service and cable card rental will run about $20 a month.

How many channels are you currently receiving?
But that's not what I want. I don't care abou dvr capability. I want tv/Netflix/espn3/Internet in same input. Thanks for the suggestion though. Btw I currently get roughly 70 decent channels, excluding all the foreign and music channels.
Old May 12, 2012, 03:51 PM   #11
DigitalDemon
Birth CTRL+Z

Actually now I am kinda scratching my head as to why you have a digital converter box in the first place. They are meant for customers who have old tvs. If you are looking for HDMI, your tv at least is certainly capable of using Comcast's regular cable box, which should have an HDMI output.

Digital->Analog->Digital is what seems to be going on here, but all you need is the correct cable box. Last time I checked a SD box is about $1 a month from Comcast.
Old May 12, 2012, 07:11 PM   #12
BENCHMARKMAN
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Actually now I am kinda scratching my head as to why you have a digital converter box in the first place. They are meant for customers who have old tvs. If you are looking for HDMI, your tv at least is certainly capable of using Comcast's regular cable box, which should have an HDMI output.

Digital->Analog->Digital is what seems to be going on here, but all you need is the correct cable box. Last time I checked a SD box is about $1 a month from Comcast.
I have to use the box Comcast sent because it decrypts the channels. If I plug the coax directly into the tv I don't get any channels. Comcast made that chanes about 9 months ago.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:57 AM   #13
DigitalDemon
Birth CTRL+Z

Quote:
I have to use the box Comcast sent because it decrypts the channels. If I plug the coax directly into the tv I don't get any channels. Comcast made that chanes about 9 months ago.
I just checked with Comcast, they sent you the crappiest box they have. Now, as an SD subscriber, you are eligible to use one of these boxes they provide:

Motorola DCT700
Motorola DCT1800
Motorola DCT2000
Motorola DCT2500
Motorola DCH70
Motorola DCH100

Cost is about $0.80 a month. Now the bad part is, none of these boxes have an HDMI output. The best you can get is composite.

Now, with a composite signal, you can use an HDMI converter like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-vi.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

FYI its gonna look like ****.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:18 AM   #14
BENCHMARKMAN
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
I just checked with Comcast, they sent you the crappiest box they have. Now, as an SD subscriber, you are eligible to use one of these boxes they provide:

Motorola DCT700
Motorola DCT1800
Motorola DCT2000
Motorola DCT2500
Motorola DCH70
Motorola DCH100

Cost is about $0.80 a month. Now the bad part is, none of these boxes have an HDMI output. The best you can get is composite.

Now, with a composite signal, you can use an HDMI converter like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-vi.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

FYI its gonna look like ****.
Yes tha is the rental cost of the modem but then they are going to change my monthly plan to about $40 more per month. Catch22
Old May 13, 2012, 02:59 PM   #15
DigitalDemon
Birth CTRL+Z

Quote:
Yes tha is the rental cost of the modem but then they are going to change my monthly plan to about $40 more per month. Catch22
Are you on a 'grandfathered' or old rate? As I have the limited basic for $18 a month, and rent the DC2000 for $0.80.

Edit: you can buy a Motorola DCT700 on amazon for $50 or less. It has a composite out.

Last edited by DigitalDemon : May 13, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:19 AM   #16
BENCHMARKMAN
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Are you on a 'grandfathered' or old rate? As I have the limited basic for $18 a month, and rent the DC2000 for $0.80.

Edit: you can buy a Motorola DCT700 on amazon for $50 or less. It has a composite out.
I might check out Amazon but since it wasn't programmed by comcast would it be able to decrypt the channels?. No I don't have any grandfathered rate I have a triple play package and for some reason I pay less than the advertised rate. I called in and asked several times and my rate would jump from $77 a month to around $117 with taxes.
Old May 14, 2012, 01:07 PM   #17
DigitalDemon
Birth CTRL+Z

Quote:
I might check out Amazon but since it wasn't programmed by comcast would it be able to decrypt the channels?. No I don't have any grandfathered rate I have a triple play package and for some reason I pay less than the advertised rate. I called in and asked several times and my rate would jump from $77 a month to around $117 with taxes.
It has to be activated by Comcast, in which speaking to my Comcast buddy says they won't activate it, even though the FCC allows people to own them, nice little loophole there.

$77 a month does seem like a old rate, as triple play now starts at $99. They probably won't give you an updated box unless you pay a higher rate.

Another thing you could do is get a HDHomeRun device, use Plex and the HDHomeRun plugin.
Old May 14, 2012, 04:47 PM   #18
BENCHMARKMAN
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
It has to be activated by Comcast, in which speaking to my Comcast buddy says they won't activate it, even though the FCC allows people to own them, nice little loophole there.

$77 a month does seem like a old rate, as triple play now starts at $99. They probably won't give you an updated box unless you pay a higher rate.

Another thing you could do is get a HDHomeRun device, use Plex and the HDHomeRun plugin.
Its not a grandfathered in price because I use to pay around $117 and then for some reason about 9 months ago they dropped me down to $77 with taxes. Not sure how or why that is my price but it still lists as triple play with all my services but the bill is just below what they advertise.
Old May 16, 2012, 02:28 PM   #19
Zero
Sass hole

Zero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Why does it matter if you switch inputs?

"Optimists believe this is the best of all possible worlds. Pessimists fear that it is true."
-Robert Oppenheimer

"I love my dog. But my doctor say we cannot make babies. I guess we'll adopt children and just have sechs."
-SpongeBebop, Rage3D 2003

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the group. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friederich Nietzsche on James Crivellone

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Intel Q9550 (400x8.5 1.25v stock HSF)
Corsair HX620
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD
Logitech EasyCall Desktop KB + Mouse

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
T9300 2.5GHz 6MB Cache VM-enabled
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1
HDMI audio-capable output

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB
500GB Western Digital + 250GB Maxtor HDs
Samsung 50" PN50C550 Plasma TV

Dark Knight Modded Xbox 360 Premium (Launch)
XBox 360 RE5 Elite (Jasper)
Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 03:31 PM   #20
Spyder
-=-=-=-=-=-

Spyder is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Why does it matter if you switch inputs?
this.

plus maybe consider a Logitech Harmony? One button press and it switches everything necessary
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 04:26 AM   #21
BENCHMARKMAN
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
this.

plus maybe consider a Logitech Harmony? One button press and it switches everything necessary
Please read through the thread. If I have to switch inputs I won't be able to use the google tv functionality while I watch normal cable. That basically makes the google tv just another blu ray device which I already have.