Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

"

Old May 8, 2012, 03:26 PM   #421
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshadow001 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Finally ordered the EVGA SR-X motherboard after waiting what seemed like forever....EVGA only started higher volume production a couple of weeks ago, and they aren't exactly making a lot of them since it's only a handfull for each country at most.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 10:34 PM   #422
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyTreeckcold57 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

My short term is changed to long term-ish....now. I will build a new pc in 1-2 months. So maybe, I'll change my lists if anything is on sale, or I could wait for the more Z77 motherboards come out, etc.
ATI Mobility X1600 256MB
Hitachi 80GB 5400RPM
Windows XP Pro

Treeckcold57 F@H stat
Treeckcold57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 12:45 AM   #423
Mangler
BUY CALL OF DUTY!

Mangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled with

Short Term:

Might sell my 7970s and replace them with two 670/680, I'm not sure.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 9, 2012, 01:18 AM   #424
FiggyG
Rage3D Veteran

FiggyG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFiggyG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Long term... ASRock 970 Extreme3 + AMD FX 8350/8320.
FiggyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 03:52 PM   #425
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshadow001 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Bah, the shop where i ordered the motherboard will only receive their stock next monday, so what i effectively did was a pre-order, even though it wasn't mentioned while i was placing the order.

Sometime next week i guess.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 05:11 PM   #426
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Whore

Gandalfthewhite once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Gandalfthewhite once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Gandalfthewhite once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Gandalfthewhite once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Gandalfthewhite once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Gandalfthewhite once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

got a new SSD and a new 2tb storage drive. next upgrade is a new video card.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 10:58 PM   #427
HyperNovae
Rage3D Veteran

HyperNovae knows why the caged bird singsHyperNovae knows why the caged bird singsHyperNovae knows why the caged bird singsHyperNovae knows why the caged bird singsHyperNovae knows why the caged bird singsHyperNovae knows why the caged bird sings

lmao I was trying to see what stuff you guys were getting so I went back through the last 5 pages and all I saw was an argument between demo and shadow guy. How far must I go back to see real conversation?!!
AMD FX-8320 Vishera 4.5ghz - MSI Gaming OC R9 290 - MSI 970a-G46 AM3+ SLI/Crossfire - DDR3 G.SKILL Sniper 1866mhz 8 gigs - Corsair CX750m - 2x Western Digital 1TB HD 6gb/sata - 32 in 1920x1080 LCD monitor - 23 in 1920x1080 LCD monitor
HyperNovae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 11:19 PM   #428
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

I'll admit, I was thinking I didn't feel any pressure to upgrade anything, but the more I see of the GTX 680, the more tempted I am by it. I may try to resist temptation until down the line for "GTX 780", but we'll see. GTX 580 hasn't fallen short for me on anything I've thrown at it, including Skyrim at 8xAA/16xAF. So, we'll see.

If you feel like I'm hurting your wittle feelings too much, refer me to this thread : A new nicer moshpit???
"Go screw yourself Apple."
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 11:46 PM   #429
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Bought a 3.2GHz Xeon and C204 Supermicro board and a couple 20Gb network adapters. Building a storage server.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 09:32 AM   #430
Meteor|WAR
like tears in rain

Meteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled with

Very possibly buying a GTX 670 once they show up on Newegg.
Meteor|WAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 06:43 PM   #431
HyperNovae
Rage3D Veteran

HyperNovae knows why the caged bird singsHyperNovae knows why the caged bird singsHyperNovae knows why the caged bird singsHyperNovae knows why the caged bird singsHyperNovae knows why the caged bird singsHyperNovae knows why the caged bird sings

I'm either getting a corsair H80 tomorrow or a new mobo and ddr3 ram. I really don't feel like reinstalling windows so it will probably be the former.
AMD FX-8320 Vishera 4.5ghz - MSI Gaming OC R9 290 - MSI 970a-G46 AM3+ SLI/Crossfire - DDR3 G.SKILL Sniper 1866mhz 8 gigs - Corsair CX750m - 2x Western Digital 1TB HD 6gb/sata - 32 in 1920x1080 LCD monitor - 23 in 1920x1080 LCD monitor
HyperNovae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 08:05 PM   #432
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

I picked up a used Antec Kuhler 920. Hopefully that'll help keep my cpus temps in line at around 5ghz.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 09:55 AM   #433
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Upgraded mouse to 6400 dpi. Razer Imperator.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 02:58 PM   #434
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
I picked up a used Antec Kuhler 920. Hopefully that'll help keep my cpus temps in line at around 5ghz.
If the 920 is comparable to the Corsair H70, then yes, it will. Especially since you have a Sandy Bridge and not an Ivy Bridge :P

If you feel like I'm hurting your wittle feelings too much, refer me to this thread : A new nicer moshpit???
"Go screw yourself Apple."
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 04:18 PM   #435
logical
Whats up my glib globs?

logical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channellogical once jumped the English Channel

Subscriber

Looks like the next upgrade is a move to kepler..670 or 680. Need to get ready for Borderlands 2.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 11:05 AM   #436
Dayblade
Radeon HD 6770

Dayblade is still being judged by the masses

My next upgrade will be to start looking for a tri-fire setup in the 6k series to replace my aging dual 4850x2 setup. Quad-fire is nice but would really like the DX11 capabilities as DX11 games start to pop up.
Dayblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 02:49 PM   #437
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

I'm really debating selling both my Catleap Q270 and Planar SA2311w and picking up an Asus VG278H.

I really do love that Planar though.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 05:56 PM   #438
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

I just bought an open box 7970 off of Newegg for really cheap. I couldn't say no. I can't wait to at least play around with it for a bit. Hopefully I also make a few bucks off of it.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:29 PM   #439
Sound_Card
Constantinople

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

So how is the 7970? ^^^

I'm really debating on getting the i7 3770k over my i5 2400s. It would unlock PCIe 3.0 on my board, give me hyper threading and OC'ing.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:56 PM   #440
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

It was a lemon. I should have known better than to waste my time with an open box card. This is the second time that I bought one and both times I got a bum card.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:25 PM   #441
Meteor|WAR
like tears in rain

Meteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
It was a lemon. I should have known better than to waste my time with an open box card. This is the second time that I bought one and both times I got a bum card.
Bad overclocker? Or just defective?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:32 PM   #442
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post
Bad overclocker? Or just defective?
It was defective. It would stutter at stock in a few games. I saw a lot of hitching. The smallest oc would make it artifact like I've never seen.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:05 PM   #443
Sound_Card
Constantinople

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

have you tried down clocking it?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:53 PM   #444
Meteor|WAR
like tears in rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
have you tried down clocking it?
What is the point? If it doesn't function probably at default settings why would he want it?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:17 PM   #445
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyTreeckcold57 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
So how is the 7970? ^^^

I'm really debating on getting the i7 3770k over my i5 2400s. It would unlock PCIe 3.0 on my board, give me hyper threading and OC'ing.
Yes, go for it. And it'll last you longer enough until there's new CPU that is faster than i7 3770K. I've changed my mind about getting i5 3570K, so I'd rather get an i7 3770K for more future-proof. I won't build another new gaming pc until I move to North Carolina, I just don't know exactly when yet.
ATI Mobility X1600 256MB
Hitachi 80GB 5400RPM
Windows XP Pro

Treeckcold57 F@H stat
Treeckcold57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:34 AM   #446
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Thinking hard about a second 7970. Don't really see the need for it though. Hmm...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:23 AM   #447
Sound_Card
Constantinople

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post
What is the point? If it doesn't function probably at default settings why would he want it?
Because he did not pay default price? Because a down clocked 7970 is still freaking fast? Maybe to pin point if something off the chip was causing it?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:25 AM   #448
Sound_Card
Constantinople

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
Yes, go for it. And it'll last you longer enough until there's new CPU that is faster than i7 3770K. I've changed my mind about getting i5 3570K, so I'd rather get an i7 3770K for more future-proof. I won't build another new gaming pc until I move to North Carolina, I just don't know exactly when yet.
I'm thinking the same.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:38 AM   #449
Meteor|WAR
like tears in rain

Quote:
Because he did not pay default price? Because a down clocked 7970 is still freaking fast? Maybe to pin point if something off the chip was causing it?
I would guess Baba wouldn't think its worth the effort.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:51 PM   #450
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Someone already returned it for a reason. I doubt that it had something to do with my system. I'm not about to use a downclocked 7970 when I could just pick one up on the forums for a few bucks more that will likely oc well. That just doesn't make sense.

I did just realize that I could have at least tried out MLAA 2.0. I've heard good things and would have liked to have seen it first hand.