Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » General Radeon Discussion
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Radeon Discussion General discussion for news and rumours about discrete Radeon graphics products. Do not ask for tech support here, instead please use the Radeon Technical Support forum.

"

Old May 7, 2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Low gpu usage when eyecandy turned down

Ive had this for a long time now had it on my 6990s cf and my tri 6970cf. I don't have vysnc enabled but gpu usage is low across all gpus unless I crank up the graphic settings. It happens in pretty much every game. I have powertune at +20 always. Any ideas? The cards will pretty much hover in 40 to 50 percent. I don't believe CPU bottlenecking could be it cuz this happens at eyefinity solutions and at 1600p even with my prior 3960x

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ is still being judged by the masses

PCIE bottleneck.
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 12:43 PM   #3
CurrentlyPissed
2.0 Litres of Fury

CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

What game? If it's TERA they recently stated it will not be supporting CFX, and that's my issue. 9x out of 10 I get negative scaling, and GPU usage hovers around 60%. Very rarely will both cards run at 99%, and even when they do, I can disable CFX and get teh same FPS. So basically all I am doing is generating heat, and wasting electricity.

-George Carlin

Quote:
Life is like an Arrow on a bow. It constantly drags you back. But you are just moments away from springing forward.
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 7, 2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
What game? If it's TERA they recently stated it will not be supporting CFX, and that's my issue. 9x out of 10 I get negative scaling, and GPU usage hovers around 60%. Very rarely will both cards run at 99%, and even when they do, I can disable CFX and get teh same FPS. So basically all I am doing is generating heat, and wasting electricity.
What are 9 games you are getting negative scaling on?
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 01:00 PM   #5
CurrentlyPissed
2.0 Litres of Fury

CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'CurrentlyPissed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
What are 9 games you are getting negative scaling on?
I meant 9 spots out of 10 in tera. Sorry.

-George Carlin

Quote:
Life is like an Arrow on a bow. It constantly drags you back. But you are just moments away from springing forward.
Old May 7, 2012, 01:37 PM   #6
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete stranger

I actually get all 90% or more card usage in Tera across all gpus just it's negative effect. I'm talking pretty much every game out there batman ac, kingdom of alamur or w.e u spell it, dues ex, nfs games, dirt 3. If I crank up the aa usage will go up, elsewhere it's like the cards a going this isn't enough of a work load so let just work halfway

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Mangler
RIP PC Gaming

Mangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled with

Couldn't the low gpu usage in some of those title be explained by the fact that some of those games simply are not that demanding.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 02:11 PM   #8
Higgy10
Rage3D Veteran

Higgy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird sings

Never played tera but not surprised it doesnt perform well. Amalur should scale fine(does here at least, maybe its a tri issue) and well batman doesnt scale well in dx11 mode even in 2way cfx. Do they all not scale well in 2way cfx or just trifire?
CFX 290
24" Samsung LCD x3
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Higgy10
Rage3D Veteran

Higgy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird sings

try out the avp benchmark and see if the same issue persists. Since that should scale well up to 4gpus. If that still doesnt work then something is def wrong.
CFX 290
24" Samsung LCD x3
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 02:59 PM   #10
CurrentlyPissed
2.0 Litres of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
I actually get all 90% or more card usage in Tera across all gpus just it's negative effect. I'm talking pretty much every game out there batman ac, kingdom of alamur or w.e u spell it, dues ex, nfs games, dirt 3. If I crank up the aa usage will go up, elsewhere it's like the cards a going this isn't enough of a work load so let just work halfway
TERA is incredibly, incredibly CPU restricted. So your 3960X is likely beating out my 2500k allowing the 6990s to breathe a little more and use more GPU.

-George Carlin

Quote:
Old May 7, 2012, 04:07 PM   #11
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Less stuff for the gpu to render stuff = Less gpu utilization.

Simple as that
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 04:17 PM   #12
CurrentlyPissed
2.0 Litres of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
Less stuff for the gpu to render stuff = Less gpu utilization.

Simple as that
Unless the game is not correctly telling it what to do.

-George Carlin

Quote:
Old May 7, 2012, 11:01 PM   #13
Omega53
Trolling like it's 1999

Omega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

This thread is like asking why im only getting 1%cpu usage when playing a mp3 file
AMD Driver Issues
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 07:38 PM   #14
Blín D'ñero
HD7970 crossfire

Blín D'ñero is still being judged by the masses

People want their card to be powerful. But if that card does not seem to have much work on certain game (because it is such a powerful card, but apparently they forgot that), the card makes them unhappy.
Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz | Zalman CPNS9900LED | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 DDR3 | 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 (crossfire) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro | Corsair AX 1200W | 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX | Optiarc AD 5240S | Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 | Steelseries 7G | Razer Imperator 2012 | Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 | Logitech Z-5500 | Sennheiser HD598 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 |
Blín D'ñero is offline   Reply With Quote