Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » CATALYST Drivers
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CATALYST Drivers Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Catalyst Drivers. Please put Linux-specific driver posts and Remote Wonder discussion in their respective forums.

"

Old May 3, 2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Pesticide
Radeon HD 6850

Pesticide is still being judged by the masses

Default diablo3 does not support 12.4

Old May 3, 2012, 12:27 PM   #2
WaltC
Captain Know-it-all

Location: United States Deep in Martian soil where it's warm and the air is good
WaltC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesticide View Post
WTF is right. Seems like a pretty stupid guess on someone's part, because problems with the beta D3 client seem far more likely as the culprit. Generally speaking, games do not "support" driver versions--it's always the other way around.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Mangler
RIP PC Gaming

Mangler can recite pi backwardsMangler can recite pi backwardsMangler can recite pi backwardsMangler can recite pi backwardsMangler can recite pi backwardsMangler can recite pi backwardsMangler can recite pi backwards

That sucks, I don't want to revert to inferior drivers.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 3, 2012, 02:38 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird sings

I'm checking with AMD but early indications are this is a misunderstanding with Blizzard and AMD are already working with them to get it corrected.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 02:57 PM   #5
Burn
Radeon HD 7970

Burn is still being judged by the masses

i found something during the open beta , i use the software Mumble to talk to my friends with online game and Diablo 3 refused to launch while Mumble is already running .. i must start Diablo 3 first and then alt tab and start mumble .. that way it work with the mumble overlay.

i had the 12.3 installed at that time ... now im using the 12.5 beta , i don't know if this set work .....

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 03:08 PM   #6
CurrentlyPissed
2.0 Litres of Fury

CurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird sings

What does work with these drivers? Just google amd 12.4 BSOD. Issues everywhere. Worst driver release in awhile. A lot of people also (Like me) have issues uninstalling them where it BSODs, or blank screens and loses signal to the monitor during installation. I had to reformat.

Frustrating.

-George Carlin

Quote:
Life is like an Arrow on a bow. It constantly drags you back. But you are just moments away from springing forward.
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Swiftdeathz
7870 CFX

Swiftdeathz is still being judged by the masses

12.4 drivers gave me fits with my 7870 CFX. I'm on the 12.3's now so I'll be fine.
Swiftdeathz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 07:27 PM   #8
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

The issue with 12.4 drivers apparently affects 4xxx, 3xxx and 2xxx cards. Everything else more modern should work fine with D3.
Old May 4, 2012, 05:33 PM   #9
WaltC
Captain Know-it-all

Location: United States Deep in Martian soil where it's warm and the air is good
WaltC is still being judged by the masses

Default Weird situation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre View Post
The issue with 12.4 drivers apparently affects 4xxx, 3xxx and 2xxx cards. Everything else more modern should work fine with D3.
I'd really like to know what Blizzard's is doing that would cause that to happen. I mean, there are plenty of games that run just fine on the 2xxx series and all the way up the product ladder.

In a way, this reminds me of the D3d 9.0c support of the "shiny water" effect in NeverWinter Nights (OpenGL) back in 2001/2 (or so--can't recall the exact year.) Anyway, Bioware released an official statement to the effect that while nVidia hardware supported shiny water, ATI hardware was simply incapable of supporting it. Lots of us made a big stink on the issue at the time because we knew better--that the problem was simply one of both ATI and Bioware adjusting their software to also support the effect on ATi hardware (as well as it was supported on nVidia hardware.)

Long story short, it wasn't long before the game's "shiny water" was as shiny as it could be on ATI hardware, too. That forever put to rest the Bioware-originated misinformation that R300 was incapable in hardware of supporting the shiny water effect--it had been a software issue all along.

The major problem had been that during the development of the game, Bioware had seen fit to develop it on nVidia hardware and had made no effort to simultaneously develop for ATI hardware at the same time. Because the game was OpenGL it used "extensions" to support hardware features on an IHV's card that were not supported directly by the OpenGL API at the time (such as it was or has ever been.)

Bioware supported the nVidia extensions necessary to the "shiny water" effect, but as ATi used different extensions for the functionality of its gpus, Bioware simply made no effort to support the ATi extensions necessary for shiny water--until there was a fairly loud public outcry against (at least 50% of Bioware's NWN customers were running ATi even then, so Bioware's attitude was *really* strange when you think about it.)

Bear in mind that this admission was a long time in coming--after several months of Bioware flatly stating that R300 didn't support the effect because it could not--because it lacked the necessary hardware. It seemed in retrospect to just about everybody that Bioware was relying on information provided to it *by nVidia* to continue to assert that R300 could not support what the much older, much slower nVidia hardware could support in hardware.

Some people might not remember those days (R300, circa 2001/2002), but they were the start of a solid 8-year + run of ATi supremacy with nVidia almost always in the catch-up mode. In those early days, nVidia played quite a few "dirty hands" to stay in the game somehow--as it was a good two years after R300 shipped before nVidia shipped anything competitive with R300. Who could forget nV30--or "The Leaf Blower" as it was affectionately called by its critics? That was nVidia's first attempt to compete with R300--it was so bad that nVidia cancelled the product completely and went back to the drawing board. We won't go into all of the little but juicy scandals that marked that period because we don't have near enough the room, and I don't have the time--and besides, it's all ancient history, anyway.

The point is, with all of the bad stuff seemingly befalling ATi at present, it seems very much like a return to those early days--with nVidia coming at them from several directions at once. I really, really worry when a major games developer "somehow" lets it leak that a very much anticipated game won't run on the 2xxx, 3xxx, or 4xxx series of ATi hardware running the *12.4* drivers--the latest ATi drivers to date.

There's something about that statement that just doesn't seem likely: mainly, I'm not sure what driver development, if any, for the 2xxx-3xxx series specifically, exists inside 12.4 WHQL. Generally, for much older cards--which those are--it's been awhile since Catalyst releases have made any changes at all in driver support of these older gpus. The 4xxx series is much newer, so it's possible that improvements for the 4xxx series go all the way up through the 12.4WHQLs.

But for the 2-3xxx-series gpus, it may have been several Catalyst releases back since any driver code changes relative to one or both of these gpus were made. If that's the case--then there'd be no reason why the 2xxx/3xxx products should work with 12.3 but not with 12.4, if nothing has changed in the driver code between these releases relative to these gpus.

As well, it would also seem likely that Blizzard would be having trouble with older nVidia cards, too. Of course, all of this presumes the aforementioned rumors are true--but if we find out not--then that's going to raise other interesting questions as to who started the rumors and why. This is a fascinating situation and it will be nice to get some perspective on it!
Old May 4, 2012, 05:37 PM   #10
vizionblind
Radeon HD 6770

vizionblind is still being judged by the masses

sad
vizionblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Archanjo

Archanjo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre View Post
Same problem here, HIS6870!
I'd opened a ticket, but they said that D3 beta isn't supported...
Archanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 09:22 AM   #12
Pesticide
Radeon HD 6850

ill tell amd one thing, if my 6970 has ANY trouble with d3 on launchday, ill buy me a 680 instantly and will never look back. Ive been ati customers after geforce 1 days with the 8500LE and 9500 and 9800 pro, etcetera , i struggled through the whole opengl debacle period, which to this day opengl still has isseus, but the current driver isseus and cap stuff just is getting bonkers.

The tech q/a guy from blizzard did not mention it was limited to xxxx series, and even if it was, that stuff should not happen. It should run on all cards for this game that is made to run on older systems.

I dont care if blizzard is to blame. Ati brand core market is gamers so its amd's job to be in close contact with the devs and do the bitching for us, not rely on their customers to make a big fuzz and do the work for them AFTER game RELEASE ...

Last edited by Pesticide : May 5, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Pesticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 09:56 AM   #13
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

muzz is still being judged by the masses

Like Walt said above(and I remember that), I call shenanigans!
Old May 6, 2012, 04:03 PM   #14
Final8ty
Radeon HD 6970

Final8ty is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesticide View Post

I dont care if blizzard is to blame. Ati brand core market is gamers so its amd's job to be in close contact with the devs and do the bitching for us, not rely on their customers to make a big fuzz and do the work for them AFTER game RELEASE ...
You don't know that AMD hasn't spoken to Blizzard, AMD don't own Blizzard and blizzard has no obligation to listen to AMD, AMD is not Blizzard's customer and vice versa, the power is with the customer, always has been always will be, to often people just lack the will to do what it takes.
Final8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 04:20 PM   #15
void4ever
Radeon HD 7970

void4ever is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
You don't know that AMD hasn't spoken to Blizzard, AMD don't own Blizzard and blizzard has no obligation to listen to AMD, AMD is not Blizzard's customer and vice versa, the power is with the customer, always has been always will be, to often people just lack the will to do what it takes.
From a business stand point thats a very narrow minded view. For the sake of argument lets say half the gamers in the world run Nvidia, and half run AMD. Lets also say "for the sake of argument" that ALL of these gamers are going to play Diablo 3.

It's in Blizzards best interest financially to make sure 50% of there customer base can enjoy the game they've dumped so much money into.

Now lets look at the flip side, it's in AMD and Nvidia's best interests "financially" to do the exact same thing. Get with Blizzard to make sure everything is working, so they don't lose market share.

Blizzard, AMD, and Nvidia are out to make money plain and simple. If the company's are doing everything they can to MAKE that money then they need to re-examine there business model.

It seems to me over the years Nvidia has understood this as they've got there fingers into almost every major release. Thats not to say that all the major titles have run flawlessly on Nvidia hardware, far from it. But there aggressively pushing, or at the very least the major publishers are actively talking to Nvidia. AMD seems to lag behind in this respect.

Ultimately your correct the customer has the "power" so to speak. Speak with your dollar and all that. But unless there's a MAJOR swing from one side to the other it's more a blip on the marketing screen than anything else.

Void4ever

Secondary Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Core i7-920 @ 2.8ghz | 12 gig Triple Channel Gskill 1333mhz 7-7-7-18 | MSI 6970 | X-plosion 7.1 | Westinghouse LCM22w3+Westinghouse VM-42F140S | Corsair CMPSU-850TX | Win7 SP1 x64

HTPC Machine:
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 | Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.4ghz | 8 gig Dual Channel Gskill 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 | Sapphire 5770 | X-Mystique 7.1 Gold | Westinghouse VM-42F140S | CoolergiantVHB 480W | Win7 SP1 x64
void4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 05:12 PM   #16
Final8ty
Radeon HD 6970

Final8ty is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by void4ever View Post
From a business stand point thats a very narrow minded view. For the sake of argument lets say half the gamers in the world run Nvidia, and half run AMD. Lets also say "for the sake of argument" that ALL of these gamers are going to play Diablo 3.

It's in Blizzards best interest financially to make sure 50% of there customer base can enjoy the game they've dumped so much money into.

Now lets look at the flip side, it's in AMD and Nvidia's best interests "financially" to do the exact same thing. Get with Blizzard to make sure everything is working, so they don't lose market share.

Blizzard, AMD, and Nvidia are out to make money plain and simple. If the company's are doing everything they can to MAKE that money then they need to re-examine there business model.

It seems to me over the years Nvidia has understood this as they've got there fingers into almost every major release. Thats not to say that all the major titles have run flawlessly on Nvidia hardware, far from it. But there aggressively pushing, or at the very least the major publishers are actively talking to Nvidia. AMD seems to lag behind in this respect.

Ultimately your correct the customer has the "power" so to speak. Speak with your dollar and all that. But unless there's a MAJOR swing from one side to the other it's more a blip on the marketing screen than anything else.

Void4ever
Its not a narrow view its a realistic one based on what is happening and not based on peoples hopes and dreams on what they think should happen and getting upset that their dreams are not reality.

And no its in Blizzards best interest to make sure that both brand can enjoy the game and not one side or the other or 50% and it should not require money from the gfx card makers as that turns the PC in to nothing more than a 2 branded console platform because that's what it will lead to if its only down to how much money the gfx card makes throw at the devs, they should be concerned about getting money from us and not the gfx card makers as we are where the real money come from, is Blizzards going to saying its going to run like crap if the gfx card makes don't pay us as if the bulk of the profits come from that source and not the gamers as if that's the only game out there to play.
The Windows DX API was there so that you would not need to having multiple vendor cards in your PC to play all your games.

Been down that road with BAA and blocking AA form AMD cards, fixxed in the GOTY version due to customer pressure, the taking out of DX10.1 from assassin creed, stupid amounts of tessellation in crysis 2, i don't want to encourage any of that and tell AMD to start doing the same and so fare when they have put money up they have not done anything to ensure that it must run better on there cards than the completion, but only to ensure that it works and has DX11 support were feasible, Dirt2/3 both run faster on NV cards as AMD are not into the crippling the competition game. AMD have plenty of Gaming Evolved titles under its belt that don't cripple NV.
Yes Shogun2 and Dragonage 2 ran much better on AMD at the start because of driver optimization being in place for release.

Game devs should be sending there games to NV and AMD before release regardless of money or ass kissing as its not as they are new kids on the block striving for recognition and the devs should not treat them as such as even on the consoles they running on NV and AMD GPUs.. and how is that Skrym run so much worse on the NV GPU powered PS3 than the AMD GPU powered Xbox360, don't say that because NV and AMD should be getting involved there too.

Last edited by Final8ty : May 6, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
Final8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 03:20 PM   #17
Pesticide
Radeon HD 6850