Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

"

Old May 6, 2012, 10:34 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Location: Manches All hail king Dave, ruler of all Manchesville
JohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English Channel

I usually get a top end phone every 12 months or so and pay up front for a short contract and lower tariff.

The reason I do this is because I will still be able to sell the phone 12 months on for at least £350 so the phone more or less pays for itself and I get a sparkly new phone very year.

Example:
Samsung galaxy nexus paid £100 to have a 12month contract that costs £35 per month.
Yearly cost therefore is £520, of which I will get back £350 so therefore it costs me just £170 per year to use the phone with unlimited texts, calls and internet..or £14 per month.
JohnEJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 11:18 AM   #32
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English Channel

I switch phone every 18 months when my company gives me a new black berry. Awww yeah!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 04:30 PM   #33
tehpikachu
Radeon HD 6870

tehpikachu is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEJohn View Post
I usually get a top end phone every 12 months or so and pay up front for a short contract and lower tariff.

The reason I do this is because I will still be able to sell the phone 12 months on for at least £350 so the phone more or less pays for itself and I get a sparkly new phone very year.

Example:
Samsung galaxy nexus paid £100 to have a 12month contract that costs £35 per month.
Yearly cost therefore is £520, of which I will get back £350 so therefore it costs me just £170 per year to use the phone with unlimited texts, calls and internet..or £14 per month.
Pretty good idea, gonna have to start doing this.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 6, 2012, 11:54 PM   #34
Chuck
Grim Fandango remake!

Chuck once held a door open for a complete strangerChuck once held a door open for a complete strangerChuck once held a door open for a complete strangerChuck once held a door open for a complete stranger

Bought three phones last year. Nothing good to speak about the Xperia Arc. Dull display, clunky UI, poor reception. Galaxy S2 was decent, though by then I disliked Android so much I traded it for an iPhone 4S after three months of ownership. Haven't looked back since.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 06:45 AM   #35
Zero
Sass hole

Zero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Why did you dislike Android again?

"Optimists believe this is the best of all possible worlds. Pessimists fear that it is true."
-Robert Oppenheimer

"I love my dog. But my doctor say we cannot make babies. I guess we'll adopt children and just have sechs."
-SpongeBebop, Rage3D 2003

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the group. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friederich Nietzsche on James Crivellone

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Intel Q9550 (400x8.5 1.25v stock HSF)
Corsair HX620
4GB Mushkin XP2 DDR2 PC-8500 (500 5-5-5-2)
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD
Logitech EasyCall Desktop KB + Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
T9300 2.5GHz 6MB Cache VM-enabled
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1
HDMI audio-capable output

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB
500GB Western Digital + 250GB Maxtor HDs
Samsung 50" PN50C550 Plasma TV

Dark Knight Modded Xbox 360 Premium (Launch)
XBox 360 RE5 Elite (Jasper)
Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 01:16 PM   #36
Mahjik
Rage3D Veteran

Mahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete strangerMahjik once held a door open for a complete stranger

I only change phones when:

A) Mine's broke and no longer works. At that point, I don't want another one of what I just had.
B) When there is a significant tech shift from my carrier.

I had the original HTC Touch for years until the HTC Evo 4G. The only issue I've had with the Evo is that the Sprint apps take up the majority of the phone storage. I recently took care of that by rooting the phone. The new upcoming Evo looks nice, but I don't have a real reason to change.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 09:30 PM   #37
Chuck
Grim Fandango remake!

Chuck once held a door open for a complete strangerChuck once held a door open for a complete strangerChuck once held a door open for a complete strangerChuck once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Why did you dislike Android again?
Just not a fan of the cluttered interface. Good for tablets, not so much smartphones.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 09:43 PM   #38
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Just not a fan of the cluttered interface. Good for tablets, not so much smartphones.
its only as cluttered as you make it, just ask Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 10:10 PM   #39
wc326
Rage3D Veteran

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

maybe i am going against the norm.

i just love the Interface on android.. there are so much i can add on the ui.

3 different email Widget for 3 differnt email address that gets update instantly . is so good for a business person like me.

calender widget is also very good for my work. widget calculator is also another usful item on the UI.

I am using 756MB of ram just for the UI on my phone, so android really needs as much ram as possible..
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 10:11 AM   #40
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Eh? Thats also for cached processes in RAM.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:25 AM   #41
Zero
Sass hole

Zero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
its only as cluttered as you make it, just ask Zero
True. While I still think the idea behind android is to lay down as much info on-screen as possible (read, data clutter), I'm happy with how my tablets look and feel. On a smaller screen, I dunno. Still would like an Android phone if one ever came out with all my requirements.

"Optimists believe this is the best of all possible worlds. Pessimists fear that it is true."
-Robert Oppenheimer

"I love my dog. But my doctor say we cannot make babies. I guess we'll adopt children and just have sechs."
-SpongeBebop, Rage3D 2003

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the group. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friederich Nietzsche on James Crivellone

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Intel Q9550 (400x8.5 1.25v stock HSF)
Corsair HX620
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD
Logitech EasyCall Desktop KB + Mouse

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
T9300 2.5GHz 6MB Cache VM-enabled
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1
HDMI audio-capable output

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB
500GB Western Digital + 250GB Maxtor HDs
Samsung 50" PN50C550 Plasma TV

Dark Knight Modded Xbox 360 Premium (Launch)
XBox 360 RE5 Elite (Jasper)
Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote