Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

"

Old May 5, 2012, 09:31 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Sazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English Channel

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Samsung S3 more powerful than iPhone 4s:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/s...rmance-preview

Not really much by itself, but that power is being used to drive a 4.8" 720p display. 3.5" is just too small these days .
3.5 has been too small for years, but no incentive for Apple to change their stubborn ways. Remember, we STILL don't have widgets so many years into the smart-phone wars. Why change when phone carriers are falling over themselves to give Apple money.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 10:42 PM   #122
wc326
Rage3D Veteran

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
3.5 has been too small for years, but no incentive for Apple to change their stubborn ways. Remember, we STILL don't have widgets so many years into the smart-phone wars. Why change when phone carriers are falling over themselves to give Apple money.
my phone is 7.7 inch.....2 times bigger than iphone 4s screen
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 11:07 PM   #123
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete stranger

Seems like I might replace my sprint s2 with a htc evo 4g lte (sprints version of the htc one x) in may and depending how the s3 for sprint is I might pick it up. Seeing that lte versions wont get the exynos quad I don't see the s3 being compelling over the evo 4g lte as they will pack the same processor. Sprint had good the s2 in the us carriers exynos and larger screen last round.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 6, 2012, 12:06 AM   #124
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Sazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English Channel

Subscriber

I have been eyeing this or the HTC One x on the ATT store.

The HTC is the current fav though.
Old May 6, 2012, 01:42 AM   #125
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete strangernycdarkness once held a door open for a complete stranger

Just watched the unpacked video noticed there are some nice touchwiz elements such as smart stay, pop up play. Will have to test that out.

Old May 8, 2012, 09:59 PM   #126
wc326
Rage3D Veteran

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

omg picture in picture function
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 11:03 PM   #127
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Subscriber

Seriously impressive video
Old May 8, 2012, 11:19 PM   #128
Omega53
Rage3D = serious business

Omega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundOmega53 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Seriously impressive video
Redraw time looked horrendous. That is my biggest issue with internet browsers on mobile devices. I cant stand it.
AMD Driver Issues
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 11:27 PM   #129
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
Redraw time looked horrendous. That is my biggest issue with internet browsers on mobile devices. I cant stand it.
Meh, as long as it works.

Root that sucker and lock n load/rock n roll

j/k

I am thinking of a Louis CK skit.

Old May 9, 2012, 12:03 AM   #130
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox is still being judged by the masses

I am probably in the minority here, but I think it looks much better than the S2. Always thought that looked ugly as sin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 07:22 AM   #131
Zero
Sass hole

Zero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
My dinky single core WP7 phone was way faster on redraw on the same page. Scrolling up and down had a much shorter draw lag. Zooming in/out redraw was instantaneous as well. With all the juice in the S3, it's gotta be a browser inefficiency right?

"Optimists believe this is the best of all possible worlds. Pessimists fear that it is true."
-Robert Oppenheimer

"I love my dog. But my doctor say we cannot make babies. I guess we'll adopt children and just have sechs."
-SpongeBebop, Rage3D 2003

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the group. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friederich Nietzsche on James Crivellone

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Intel Q9550 (400x8.5 1.25v stock HSF)
Corsair HX620
4GB Mushkin XP2 DDR2 PC-8500 (500 5-5-5-2)
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD
Logitech EasyCall Desktop KB + Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
T9300 2.5GHz 6MB Cache VM-enabled
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1
HDMI audio-capable output

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB
500GB Western Digital + 250GB Maxtor HDs
Samsung 50" PN50C550 Plasma TV

Dark Knight Modded Xbox 360 Premium (Launch)
XBox 360 RE5 Elite (Jasper)
Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 07:26 AM   #132
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
My dinky single core WP7 phone was way faster on redraw on the same page. Scrolling up and down had a much shorter draw lag. Zooming in/out redraw was instantaneous as well. With all the juice in the S3, it's gotta be a browser inefficiency right?
If it is redrawing on the fly and pulling data to do so, in a convention center it is possible data is more constrained with so many calls being made on the resources.

But if not, yes, it seems a little laggy. Overall, I can live with a little lag, I get that on my phone all the time but it isn't a big deal.
Old May 9, 2012, 07:48 AM   #133
Zero
Sass hole

Zero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

It shouldn't be pulling data for zooming in and out on a website. XDA forum does take a while to load vertically though, I'll give you that and we don't know if the page was done loading when he tried scrolling up and down.

"Optimists believe this is the best of all possible worlds. Pessimists fear that it is true."
-Robert Oppenheimer

"I love my dog. But my doctor say we cannot make babies. I guess we'll adopt children and just have sechs."

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the group. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Corsair HX620
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB

Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Old May 9, 2012, 08:10 AM   #134
Jasef
Rage3D Spammer

Jasef once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jasef once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jasef once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jasef once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jasef once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jasef once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Most probably a browser issue, my Galaxy S does it much better using Opera.
Old May 9, 2012, 08:47 AM   #135
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Most definitely browser issue.
The default browser on my One X sucks balls as well in terms of resizing and rearranging webpage elements.
Luckily there's plenty of other, better options on the market.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 01:41 PM   #136
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
I am probably in the minority here, but I think it looks much better than the S2. Always thought that looked ugly as sin.
I totally agree with you. I am not super crazy about the look of the S3 either.
Old May 9, 2012, 02:41 PM   #137
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwards

My Xyboard doesn't have the redraw issues the Galaxy S3 has, perhaps it has its own browser provided by Samsung?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 02:59 PM   #138
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Perhaps they haven't finished implementing hardware acceleration in the browser or something like that.

Another possibility is that the delay is there to make sure the user is done resizing the window before redrawing it. A sort of artificial delay.

BTW, redraw time is about the same as my ICS Nexus S which has a way slower CPU and GPU. This make me suspect that the 2nd statement might be the case. The fact that the system is unresponsive during the redraw might be the reason they did that. Motorola might have reduced or removed the delay on the XYboard if they thought it was fast enough so that the non-responsive time would not be an issue.

Last edited by aviphysics : May 9, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 08:41 AM   #139
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwards

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/01/c...-galaxy-s-iii/

Looks like it's using the iPhone 4S camera sensor... There's that large screened high DPI phone with a camera with comparable image quality to the iPhone people have been looking for
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 08:57 AM   #140
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

HTC One X has a larger aperture

Last edited by aviphysics : Jun 2, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:04 AM   #141
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post

Looks like it's using the iPhone 4S camera sensor... There's that large screened high DPI phone with a camera with comparable image quality to the iPhone people have been looking for
Pentile
guest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:25 AM   #142
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post

It's a Sony sensor that came out in their Xperia line as well.

The software and the other items make it a solid device. The screen real-estate is the other massive winner.

Remember, the Lumia 900 is getting all kinds of accolades even though some of the specs are "ancient" because the software runs so fluidly and it is such a good product

Also, just because the sensor is the same, it doesn't mean that the overall package has not been tweaked.

Definitely not a negative in any way.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:32 AM   #143
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Pentile
Yup, also battery life and shitty colors. I just want a black phone ffs...

-Robert Oppenheimer

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Corsair HX620
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB

Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Old Jun 2, 2012, 07:49 PM   #144
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Yup, also battery life and shitty colors. I just want a black phone ffs...
If extended batteries come out for it I may consider one. I need to do something before Verizon changes there family data plan packages.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 09:16 PM   #145
Zero
Sass hole

The whole extended battery thing is a turn off for me. Carrying bigger/more batteries is an inelegant solution imo. In any case, improved batteries also don't fix the pentile screen or wacky phone color.

-Robert Oppenheimer

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Corsair HX620
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB

Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:28 AM   #146
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

S3 coming to T-mobile Jun 21st.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/t...-galaxy-s-iii/

Now I got to decide between the sleek and sexy HTC One S or the plain looking SIII with its bigger screen and expandable storage. My gut says to go for the pretty face. Battery life numbers for the snapdrage S4 SIII will probably make my final decision.

Last edited by aviphysics : Jun 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 08:45 AM   #147
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Looks like June 6th is when you can preorder for VZ. They have stated that if you preorder you are still able to keep your unlimited data. So that either means VZ will be rolling out the new shared plans before the release of the S3 or VZ wants to prey on peoples fears and try to rack up huge preoder numbers
Xiro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:48 AM   #148
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiro View Post
Looks like June 6th is when you can preorder for VZ. They have stated that if you preorder you are still able to keep your unlimited data. So that either means VZ will be rolling out the new shared plans before the release of the S3 or VZ wants to prey on peoples fears and try to rack up huge preoder numbers
I wonder what the full price of the phone will be?

Or better yet it's a good excuse to use on the wife. "OMG we are going to lose unlimited data, missing our last chance to milk the system and get others to pay for our phones.."

Too bad it's pentile, but at least it has 2GB of RAM. My current Droid Charge has 300MB of RAM and that does not cut it.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:47 PM   #149
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Severely disappointed at us carrier versions. Granted I saw this coming with LTE. With the pentile and specs of the US versions = I rather have htc one x variant. Such as Evo 4g lte, and so forth. Wouldn't doubt a verizon version will prolly hit sooner or later.

Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:52 PM   #150
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

What do you have against the Snapdragon S4? It seems pretty equivalent to Tegra 3 and Samsung's quad core chip.