Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

"

Old May 5, 2012, 12:01 AM   #3871
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
icecold1983
Rage3D Veteran

icecold1983 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Hmm I'll try that. I play with motion blur off (AA enabled, though)
With AA off it's possible to get 60mins.. I'll try it out tomorrow if I have time before I leave.
not possible with 7970 :/ even overclocked to 1125/1575

http://gawker.com/5002269/the-cruise...ed-to-suppress

AHAHAHAH WTF IS HE TALKING ABOUT??????????
icecold1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:02 AM   #3872
Nunz
Blueshirt

Nunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I'm not sure. It really depends on how much of a performance hit the 4xAA is putting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curio on GTA V View Post
I start feeling like crap after a while - and not just from sitting all day playing video games and not taking care of myself; but this **** always makes me real cynical. I start hating people, hating America, hating life in general. I swear this game slowly starts making me a sociopath.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:19 AM   #3873
icecold1983
Rage3D Veteran

well even with aa/mblur off i cant maintain 60+ thats what i meant, even overclocked to max overdrive settings. assuming linear oc scaling i imagine id have to oc the core clock to 1300 to achieve it. ocing the memory gives little benefit in bf3 with aa off

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 5, 2012, 12:30 AM   #3874
Nunz
Blueshirt

Nunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I'll test it out for ya, no doubt.
Quote:
I start feeling like crap after a while - and not just from sitting all day playing video games and not taking care of myself; but this **** always makes me real cynical. I start hating people, hating America, hating life in general. I swear this game slowly starts making me a sociopath.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:44 AM   #3875
icecold1983
Rage3D Veteran

thx dude

Old May 5, 2012, 07:58 AM   #3876
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card Performance Preview

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/47...iew/index.html

Just when you thought the world and its forums were doomed; a new hero saves the day: http://i26.tinypic.com/okpfs8.jpg
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:07 AM   #3877
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Tweaktown probably isn't going to have a relationship by offering this review but based on their findings, it is faster than a HD 7970 and worse case faster than a HD 7950 -- nice product and and slowly improving price/performance with 28nm.

Just when you thought the world and its forums were doomed; a new hero saves the day: http://i26.tinypic.com/okpfs8.jpg
Old May 5, 2012, 09:43 AM   #3878
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Nice recap on the GTX 680 and the HD 7970 did well. Also showed some screen shots with lod adjustment with AMD compared to nVidia. Think it's great to see sites create awareness for this -- hopefully more awareness, nVidia may listen and also add lod adjustments, too.

Earlier in this thread, super-sampled was discussed and personally raised the point of hybrid modes or mixed modes and computerbase did touch on this:

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/g...formancerating

Where x4 super-sampling may be harsh a nice balance of x4 multi-sampling and x2 super-sampling is nice for flexibility.

Old May 5, 2012, 09:59 AM   #3879
noko
Rage3D Veteran

noko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynoko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Tweaktown probably isn't going to have a relationship by offering this review but based on their findings, it is faster than a HD 7970 and worse case faster than a HD 7950 -- nice product and and slowly improving price/performance with 28nm.
Nvidia usually does have a sweet spot card and this looks like it is it. If those settings hold up, shaders/ram speed/ROPs etc. this should really be a very nice card. They didn't talk at all about boost or boost speed?

Now for the game selection and settings , talking about Nvidia black book of best games to use or settings . Makes me think the card was given to them by Nvidia themselves, leave off that engineer sample number, take no images .

Nice seeing something but TweakTown
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 10:18 AM   #3880
Nunz
Blueshirt

nVidia has LOD adjustments..

??
Quote:
Old May 5, 2012, 11:00 AM   #3881
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Wow, 670 boned 7970 as well. Damn.
How is availability like going to be for the 670s?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 11:48 AM   #3882
noko
Rage3D Veteran

noko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynoko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Did quick test with Mafia II, about the only game on their list that I am somewhat confident what the settings where. Anyways there High IQ section (why would they pick Mafia 2 ) anyways I duplicated settings, 1920x1200, use a superior AA method (not the ingame but MLAA2) and got 99.7fps . Their Metro tests: Was that DX11, 10 or 9? AA method if any? AF?

Hope to see more reviews of the 670 with a clearer picture how tested.

Availability - none to be seen yet.
Old May 5, 2012, 11:50 AM   #3883
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
nVidia has LOD adjustments..

??
Not for SSAA with DirectX 10 and 11 content.

Community being constructive:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=226244

Old May 5, 2012, 12:03 PM   #3884
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
Nvidia usually does have a sweet spot card and this looks like it is it. If those settings hold up, shaders/ram speed/ROPs etc. this should really be a very nice card. They didn't talk at all about boost or boost speed?

Now for the game selection and settings , talking about Nvidia black book of best games to use or settings . Makes me think the card was given to them by Nvidia themselves, leave off that engineer sample number, take no images .

Nice seeing something but TweakTown
In this article, they mentioned boost but can't seem to find the picture of the specs now or any pics:

GTX 670 was 915 base clock with a boost clock of 994 from what I remembered.

Old May 5, 2012, 12:30 PM   #3885
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Old May 5, 2012, 12:32 PM   #3886
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

http://i.imgur.com/g1CV0.jpg

The back of the card and the smallish PCB!

Old May 5, 2012, 12:33 PM   #3887
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Wow, 670 boned 7970 as well. Damn.
How is availability like going to be for the 670s?
Only you would believe that article. They used different drivers for the cards for one. Also, why is the 670 only a couple percent slower or the same as the 680? Who in their right mind would buy the 680 then? Why is the 7970 also equal to the 580 or only a few percent faster too? We all know that isn't the case.
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:35 PM   #3888
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Hehe, find it very hard to believe nVidia planned the GTX-670 to be 399! But, more like 249-299.

Old May 5, 2012, 12:36 PM   #3889
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
Only you would believe that article. They used different drivers for the cards for one. Also, why is the 670 only a couple percent slower or the same as the 680? Who in their right mind would buy the 680 then? Why is the 7970 also equal to the 580 or only a few percent faster too? We all know that isn't the case.
Why did gamers buy the GTX 580 when the HD 6970 or GTX 570 were around 10-15 percent slower and around 349?

Old May 5, 2012, 12:44 PM   #3890
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Why did gamers buy the GTX 580 when the HD 6970 or GTX 570 were around 10-15 percent slower and around 349?
Because fanboys. Also different release dates. Or you know, because it was a little more than 10-15 percent. While with that review it looks like about a 5 percent difference, but I'd have to look at it again to be sure.

Edit: just looked again and it looks like the 680 on average is only about 5% faster at 2560 than the 670.

Last edited by Roadhog_ : May 5, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:53 PM   #3891
Higgy10
Rage3D Veteran

Higgy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird singsHiggy10 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Because fanboys. Also different release dates. Or you know, because it was a little more than 10-15 percent. While with that review it looks like about a 5 percent difference, but I'd have to look at it again to be sure.

Edit: just looked again and it looks like the 680 on average is only about 5% faster at 2560 than the 670.
Ya a 5% performance gap would make the 680 irrelevant, somehow i dont see that happening
CFX 290
24" Samsung LCD x3
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:57 PM   #3892
BababooeyHTJ
Rage3D Veteran

BababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete strangerBababooeyHTJ once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Someone else bought up a good point on Hardforum. Why is GTX680 performing so closely to 7970 in Metro 2033 while using the same older drivers as every other review which we all know isn't the case.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 01:16 PM   #3893
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:

Hope it is around 5-10 percent and receive some improvements to performance value for 28nm and slowly raising the 28nm performance/value bar.

Old May 5, 2012, 04:11 PM   #3894
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Some one raised a funny point -- the GTX 670 smaller PCB looks like a half of a GTX 690 PCB -- it is so odd to see such a small PCB.

Old May 5, 2012, 04:18 PM   #3895
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Old May 5, 2012, 05:10 PM   #3896
bill dennison
Rage3D Veteran

bill dennison once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bill dennison once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bill dennison once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bill dennison once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bill dennison once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bill dennison once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
they should go for 1050 to 1100 on clocks and not jack prices back up
and they could do more on the driver side too
the 7970's have not got as good of performance increase with drivers as past new ati cards
they have fixed some bugs but no 5 to 10%+ performance increases in some games like the 5970/6970's had in each new driver in the first 6 months

but i still can't find a 680 to buy to test after what 7 or 8+ weeks
wonder if there will be more before the 780
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:29 PM   #3897
noko
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
To little and probably too late. New reviews would still probably favor the 680 at those speeds which would seal the Tahiti fate to 2nd best which really I don't believe is the case but that doesn't matter.

Agree it should be higher, at least 1050 but more like 1100. My 7970, probably one of the first ones produced, purrs at 1100/1575 at default volts. Amd needs to get rid of the cheap ass HSF combination and go higher quality, at least with the fan that is. The heat sink does OK but the blower fan is just too loud at anything over 40%, definitely over 50%.

AMD probably does need to do something to maintain perception of value because price drops are about as low as they can get before serverly affecting all the 7xxx series which once Kepler migrates down will probably do anyways. AMD I hope is very flexible and can impliment effective changes fast, that is how you can beat Nvidia which has a cadence that is getting slower and slower. Best defense is an effective offense that comes up with new plays at a moments notice plus makes it more fun.

Last edited by noko : May 5, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old May 5, 2012, 10:51 PM   #3898
icecold1983
Rage3D Veteran

nvidia is much faster at changing than amd imo. amd takes forever to respond to anything

Old May 6, 2012, 12:09 AM   #3899
noko
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
Someone else bought up a good point on Hardforum. Why is GTX680 performing so closely to 7970 in Metro 2033 while using the same older drivers as every other review which we all know isn't the case.
I would say they where using High instead of very high, plus DX9 vice DX11. They are very unclear on what settings they use in general on all of their reviews. Then I wouldn't put it past them using old numbers from a totally different rig .
Old May 6, 2012, 12:40 AM   #3900
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Well, I am glad I didn't have to go through the availability bullcrap and also AMD's revision of 7970 since my card is already at 1125/1575 stock settings. At this pace it should be faster than a stock GTX 680 which I am glad about.

Irrespective of the 670 performance, I am quite content with my current card. Maybe next year I will indulge in nVidia (like I have been saying for past 4 years now lol). Also, considering crossfire since a used 7970 is going for cheap in my hometown. If it hits the sweet spot price, I will place an order pronto. It has been on sale for a few days .
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote