Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

"

Old May 4, 2012, 04:12 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
The DVDROM/BLURAY spins about 3x faster than your average car engine
That may be true.

However I also relate comparing say other car parts.

Starter in my '69 Bug. Original Bosch unit, still cranks strong. Wiper motor, factory, never been replaced. (Although I have had to clean the contacts where the wires plug in). CV joints on the axles are also originals.

Not all "wear parts" in a vehicle (or otherwise) need to be "consumables".
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:33 PM   #32
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Complaining that a product only lasted 7 years
You know how many people's NES's still work to this day?

And to others, the moving parts argument falls flat as it wasn't his optical drive that failed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 11:27 PM   #33
Zero
Sass hole

Zero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I guess the argument of heat and complexity went over your head then?

"Optimists believe this is the best of all possible worlds. Pessimists fear that it is true."
-Robert Oppenheimer

"I love my dog. But my doctor say we cannot make babies. I guess we'll adopt children and just have sechs."
-SpongeBebop, Rage3D 2003

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the group. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friederich Nietzsche on James Crivellone

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Intel Q9550 (400x8.5 1.25v stock HSF)
Corsair HX620
4GB Mushkin XP2 DDR2 PC-8500 (500 5-5-5-2)
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD
Logitech EasyCall Desktop KB + Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
T9300 2.5GHz 6MB Cache VM-enabled
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1
HDMI audio-capable output

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB
500GB Western Digital + 250GB Maxtor HDs
Samsung 50" PN50C550 Plasma TV

Dark Knight Modded Xbox 360 Premium (Launch)
XBox 360 RE5 Elite (Jasper)
Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 5, 2012, 12:10 AM   #34
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I guess the argument of heat and complexity went over your head then?
You mean the technology we have isn't supposed to help things last longer as well?

Or just because chips get complicated means they shouldn't last?

Is there really a point to what you are saying here while implying that we don't get it?
Quote:
Old May 5, 2012, 12:39 AM   #35
Zero
Sass hole

Zero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
You mean the technology we have isn't supposed to help things last longer as well?

Or just because chips get complicated means they shouldn't last?

Is there really a point to what you are saying here while implying that we don't get it?
The more complex a device is, the more potential for failure there is. The more heat something pushes out, the sooner it's likely to fail. Add both those together (where our electronics industry sits now) and you have reduced lifespan. I really don't get what's hard to grasp here.

If you really expect a small form factor "PC" pushing a **** ton of heat to last as long as a single PCB console without even a heatsink, then I don't know what to say to bring you to reality.

"Optimists believe this is the best of all possible worlds. Pessimists fear that it is true."
-Robert Oppenheimer

"I love my dog. But my doctor say we cannot make babies. I guess we'll adopt children and just have sechs."

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the group. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Corsair HX620
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB

Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Old May 5, 2012, 01:11 AM   #36
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Get a new used one...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 04:29 AM   #37
Phospaz

Phospaz is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Get a new used one...
Exactly. Simple.
Phospaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 04:37 AM   #38
lukilla
Rage3D Veteran

lukilla is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
The more complex a device is, the more potential for failure there is. The more heat something pushes out, the sooner it's likely to fail. Add both those together (where our electronics industry sits now) and you have reduced lifespan. I really don't get what's hard to grasp here.

If you really expect a small form factor "PC" pushing a **** ton of heat to last as long as a single PCB console without even a heatsink, then I don't know what to say to bring you to reality.
Complexity is not the problem, the problem is their qa tests and the cheap parts. Consoles are not built to last anymore, I´m on my 3rd xbox360 pad and I don´t think it is any more complex than a nunchuck.
lukilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 06:13 AM   #39
Zero
Sass hole

I'm talking about consoles, why are you talking about gamepads?

I've also never had a gamepad fail ever in 30 yrs of gaming, maybe you're unlucky or extremely rough with yours?

-Robert Oppenheimer

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Corsair HX620
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB

Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Old May 5, 2012, 10:32 AM   #40
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

Quote:

Yeah, you have completely missed the point.

You are obviously one of those people who have accepted this as normal, and anything straying from this is impossible in your eyes.
Quote:
Old May 5, 2012, 11:19 AM   #41
Hidavi
Beep Boop Beep

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Get a new used one...
I'd still be paying too much
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 11:48 AM   #42
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAkumajo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAkumajo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
it redded out on me while playing Catherine.

sucks cuz I really like that game

but I've played any PS3 game that i wanted to that has released to date so its not like there's anything on my GameQ for my PS3...

Don't think I'll really miss it much. I just don't want to spend $200 to replace a console I don't think I'll be using much.

Its just a shame cuz its the old PS3 that still played PS2 games, had the memory card reader, and the 4 USB ports.
Quote:
lol yeah. thing only lasted 7 years. longer than I expected it to though tbh.

I just realized that I need a PS3 to purchase Valkyria Chronicles 2 for my Vita. Gonna borrow someone's PS3 just for that
Hidavi, I'm sorry for your loss, however you are complaining about a product that you claim lasted you "7 years"??!!

You are a smart guy, you know alot about PC parts, I'm sure you have skills taking tech and disassembling it.

Why don't you try to do that, use the "heat gun" method (you can do interweb and youtube research) by following all the known instructions then use some Artic Silver 5 or similar quality thermal compound then re-assemble and test it out to see what happens, if it works you got your console zombified and working, just feed it brains every once in a while.

Forget about next gen consoles having BC... since people bought into the Fear Uncertainty and Doubt campaign thrown at the PS3 and people back then did not want to justify the value in the console its caused companies to cut back on tech they give us so your PS3 games are pretty much going to be locked to a PS3 if all next gen rumors are true.

Helghast... till the end of days!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ52epZ6nWw Gaming Crisis!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNu_-deVemE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp9SQduS_r0 Why u mad tho?
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:06 PM   #43
Hidavi
Beep Boop Beep

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumajo View Post
Hidavi, I'm sorry for your loss, however you are complaining about a product that you claim lasted you "7 years"??!!

You are a smart guy, you know alot about PC parts, I'm sure you have skills taking tech and disassembling it.

Why don't you try to do that, use the "heat gun" method (you can do interweb and youtube research) by following all the known instructions then use some Artic Silver 5 or similar quality thermal compound then re-assemble and test it out to see what happens, if it works you got your console zombified and working, just feed it brains every once in a while.

Forget about next gen consoles having BC... since people bought into the Fear Uncertainty and Doubt campaign thrown at the PS3 and people back then did not want to justify the value in the console its caused companies to cut back on tech they give us so your PS3 games are pretty much going to be locked to a PS3 if all next gen rumors are true.
Thanks for the suggestions. Thing is, I spend all day fixing crap, I don't feel I should have to do it at home too, let alone for something I never really cared much about in the first place
Old May 5, 2012, 12:15 PM   #44
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAkumajo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAkumajo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Thing is, I spend all day fixing crap, I don't feel I should have to do it at home too, let alone for something I never really cared much about in the first place
Not even just dedicating a single day for it? I took the task of doing the dissassembly back in Jan 2011, spent 12 hours on it mostly because I was trying to be extremely carefull, took a break, took alot of pictures to document, and so on.

It definetly was alot harder to do (I did not have to do no heat gun as my PS3 did not have that problem, it was just the fans spinning really loud under GTAIV complete edition) but it was greatly rewarding.

Now its kind of funny, it takes summer time with the AC off for the fans to spin as loud but at least I know the heat is getting out the way its supposed to thanks to the pricey Artic Silver 5, other than that I treat the PS3, like I treated my XBox 1 and PCs, after gaming, I go back to the menu screen and let the console run for 5 to 10 minutes to let the fans bring the temperatures to less deadly levels, then turn of the console (same logic with turbo charged cars coming off the highway driving or high speed/RPM to manage thermals)

But its up to you.

Old May 5, 2012, 12:31 PM   #45
Hidavi
Beep Boop Beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumajo View Post
Not even just dedicating a single day for it? I took the task of doing the dissassembly back in Jan 2011, spent 12 hours on it mostly because I was trying to be extremely carefull, took a break, took alot of pictures to document, and so on.

It definetly was alot harder to do (I did not have to do no heat gun as my PS3 did not have that problem, it was just the fans spinning really loud under GTAIV complete edition) but it was greatly rewarding.

Now its kind of funny, it takes summer time with the AC off for the fans to spin as loud but at least I know the heat is getting out the way its supposed to thanks to the pricey Artic Silver 5, other than that I treat the PS3, like I treated my XBox 1 and PCs, after gaming, I go back to the menu screen and let the console run for 5 to 10 minutes to let the fans bring the temperatures to less deadly levels, then turn of the console (same logic with turbo charged cars coming off the highway driving or high speed/RPM to manage thermals)

But its up to you.
If I consider how much money I make in 12 hours, it doesn't make any sense to spend time fixing something that costs $200. And then I still have the risk of something else on it breaking soon and being warranty-less. I don't even have 12 hours in the day to spare for fixing a PS3...

I'm very anti-"spending resources to fix something broken that isn't worth the resources I'd be investing into it"

I had a $2000 car once that broke. I got to spending $500 and hours of inconvenience on it and then got rid of it. Just not worth it.

Last edited by Hidavi : May 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:56 PM   #46
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyASCI Blue can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyASCI Blue can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have a mostly working Colecovision. It's 30 years old and electronics, no moving parts. Stuff today is built like a bag of ass.

/thread

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 01:14 PM   #47
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

kakarot is still being judged by the masses

Sony does offer semi-reasonable repair service if you want another. I think it's $129 for repairs and $99 to trade it for a refurb from them. Still better and cheaper than a used one from gamestop and such
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 01:16 PM   #48
Mangler
BUY CALL OF DUTY!

Mangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled with

One thing that helped the longevity of the old stuff is that it did not require active cooling.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:58 PM   #49
lukilla
Rage3D Veteran

lukilla is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I'm talking about consoles, why are you talking about gamepads?

I've also never had a gamepad fail ever in 30 yrs of gaming, maybe you're unlucky or extremely rough with yours?
Use the logic, all the components should be built with the same lifespan expectations. And I´m not rude with my stuff, until recently I used a compaq presario keyboard (from an amd k6 computer) for gaming (I loved the "feel" of it), it lasted for tons of years and I replaced it only because I wanted a new black one.

Last edited by lukilla : May 5, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
lukilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:37 PM   #50
Zero
Sass hole

Why would all the components be built with the same lifetime expectation. The only expectation is really that it won't die within the warranty period. I have no idea how you can go through 3 controllers. I guarantee you I've played as much or more than you on my 360 controllers and all six are going strong.

@vdub, since I'm apparently so dense, explain the point again then

-Robert Oppenheimer

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Corsair HX620
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB

Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Old May 5, 2012, 09:33 PM   #51
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

Quote:
@vdub, since I'm apparently so dense, explain the point again then
I didn't say you were dense.

You are simply the perfect example of why people accept what doesn't need to be.

For some reason you are forgiving to cheapness because a company cheaped out and bought parts that won't last. You forgive this because technology has advanced in blah blah blah.

Technology has also advanced in other areas. The only reason chips or other electronics don't last is because they were made cheaply. The technology exists to make these parts last, even though they are more complex and/or generate more heat.

Forgiving one side while ignoring the other side is foolish IMO.
Quote:
Old May 6, 2012, 03:38 AM   #52
Zero
Sass hole

I don't know where you get this idea that the "cheap parts" are the reason for hardware faults. It's typically a problem with lead-free solder not being tolerant enough of the heat the console is pushing out. If you've seen the massive thermal pipe heatsink inside the first gen PS3, you wouldn't consider it cheap by any means either.

-Robert Oppenheimer

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Corsair HX620
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
ATI 4770 1GB

Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Old May 6, 2012, 04:01 AM   #53
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Used should be for 100 knockers. Why can't you get it Hidavi?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 12:12 PM   #54
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badgesCowzrul doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
If I consider how much money I make in 12 hours, it doesn't make any sense to spend time fixing something that costs $200. And then I still have the risk of something else on it breaking soon and being warranty-less. I don't even have 12 hours in the day to spare for fixing a PS3...

I'm very anti-"spending resources to fix something broken that isn't worth the resources I'd be investing into it"

I had a $2000 car once that broke. I got to spending $500 and hours of inconvenience on it and then got rid of it. Just not worth it.
Well, the problem with that line of thinking is that you probably can't get paid for those hours you aren't at work what you'd normally get paid, regardless of what you're doing.
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 03:54 PM   #55
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Quote:

I never said anything about a "working day" basically I implied a day off like a Sunday, kind of like what I did, in the winter... cold outside not worth going out other than to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1orMXD_Ijbs

A car compared to a console??!! thats a whole different story... a console is entertainment, a car is a luxury that depending if you actually need it, you must have for getting to work.

Depends on what kind of $2000 dollar car that was... if it was an economy sedan or just a plain family sedan and the autoshop was not ripping you off then yeah its worth spending the money if you do your research and know what you are getting yourself into...

I once had a friend who had and old 88 Toyota MR2 and "something" was wrong with it... he never knew what it was so he sold it, then found out from the new owner that it was the battery... that needed to be changed... he even bought a car that the previous owner claimed to never have changed the oil in it and he still went ahead and bought it... I told him like you are serious right?

But again since you said you don't care, you make too much money and you have money spending jitters or fears then just buy 2 GeForce GTX 690s, a $500 dollar motherboard, a $300 dollar power supply, a $1000 dollar CPU, a $200 dollar heatsink fan, etc and have fun.

Old May 6, 2012, 10:31 PM   #56
Hidavi
Beep Boop Beep

Not sure if its clear enough, but I don't really care for having a PS3

I was thinking today that the only thing I want to have is a 98 Supra Twin-Turbo

But I'm supposed to be buying a house first
Old May 6, 2012, 11:23 PM   #57
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phospaz View Post
Exactly. Simple.
Phospaz has joined Rage3D almost 3 years ago. He wasted his second post responding to this thread. I suggest you listen to him and purchase a used PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-a-m-e View Post
Snatches scare me. I once saw this dude break his elbow doing one :shock:
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 01:04 PM   #58
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

What difference does it make if the product has moving parts or not, active or passive cooling ?
FFS, if a console doesn't last for 7 years then there's something wrong with the technology. I don't want to buy a product knowing that sometime in the future it will break because "alas, such is technology nowadays". Wot ? Fix the technology then.
I can accept hardware defects, that's just how things in general work (as in, they occasionally break) but having a product die on you just because it's old, for me, is kinda a big deal, in a negative way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Phospaz has joined Rage3D almost 3 years ago. He wasted his second post responding to this thread. I suggest you listen to him and purchase a used PS3.

He also seems to enjoy Diablo 3 judging from his other post, so he might be one of those "master race" people, trying to trick you into buying inferior technology

Last edited by Ego : May 7, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 01:16 PM   #59
Mangler
BUY CALL OF DUTY!

Mangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled withMangler is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
What difference does it make if the product has moving parts or not, active or passive cooling ?
Fans don't last forever, and if something requires active cooling, dust will have a much larger impact on the cooling capacity.

A heatsink full of dust isn't that effective.

Imo, consoles should have removable dustfilters.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 01:45 PM   #60
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I understand the principle, I'm just whining it's a technology which should start evolving at some point. We seem to be advancing at a reasonable pace with computer technology, but the "low tech" parts sustaining it remain archaic, like fans to cool things, and crappy old batteries, incapable of sustaining a modern smartphone in heavy use.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote