Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

"
View Poll Results: Aspect Ratios - do prefer native or stretch to fit?
I prefer images to be displayed in their native aspect ratio. 35 92.11%
I prefer images to be stretched to fill the screen. 3 7.89%
No preference. 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 3, 2012, 03:27 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass is still being judged by the masses

Default Aspect Ratios - native or stretch to fit?

Curious to know what people think about displaying video which has an aspect ratio which differs from their display.

Roughly speaking, it seems that people gravitate toward two approaches:

1. Stretch image to fit the display (4:3 is stretched horizontally, 2.39:1 is stretched vertically, to fit a 16:9 display)

2. Display all content with native aspect ratio, non-native content viewed either in letterbox or pillarbox.

Old May 3, 2012, 09:32 AM   #2
DeathKnight
Rage3D Spammer

DeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

OAR or bust
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair H50 | MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | 2 x 4GB G.SKILL DDR3 2133 | Gigabyte GTX 570 | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD | Maxtor 300GB SATA Ultra16 | Seagate 500GB 32MB SATA2 | WD 640GB Black | Toshiba 2.5" 500GB in eSATA enclosure | Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD/RW drive | Antec P180B w/700w Thermaltake TP modular PSU | Win 7 Pro | 1920x1080 w/LCD TV
HT: Philips 42PFL3603D/27 42" 1080P LCD HDTV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Sigma 100-300mm F4 EX APO | Sigma EX APO 1.4x TC | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead

My New Photo Gallery (prints available)
Old Gallery
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:16 AM   #3
acroig
Master Troll

acroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channelacroig once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
OAR or bust
+1.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 3, 2012, 11:17 AM   #4
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
OAR or bust
+2
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 01:28 PM   #5
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyASCI Blue can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
OAR or bust
+3

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Jaillum Malord
Simplify Mufugha

Jaillum Malord is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
OAR or bust
+4

The only game where everything WANTS-TO-EAT-YOU [Dark Souls]

The only place in the world where all species of insect WANTS-TO-EAT-YOU [The Amazon]

i5 760 @ 4.0 | P7P55D-E | 8GB DDR3 | 180GB SSD - 1TB SATA 2 | HD 7950 @ 1150/6400 | HDAV 1.3 | M-Audio AV40 | Yamakasi Catleap 270 @ 120hz
Jaillum Malord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Meteor|WAR
Need Humanity

Meteor|WAR can recite pi backwardsMeteor|WAR can recite pi backwardsMeteor|WAR can recite pi backwardsMeteor|WAR can recite pi backwardsMeteor|WAR can recite pi backwardsMeteor|WAR can recite pi backwardsMeteor|WAR can recite pi backwards

Whoever chooses stretched should be banned from this forum.
Meteor|WAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 03:21 PM   #8
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post
Whoever chooses stretched should be banned from this forum.
LOL....
Old May 3, 2012, 04:32 PM   #9
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
OAR or bust
+5

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Whiny Mooch

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

I prefer images to be displayed in their native aspect ratio with the top and bottom chopped off so it fills up the screen.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 05:32 PM   #11
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I prefer images to be displayed in their native aspect ratio with the top and bottom chopped off so it fills up the screen.
Serious cat? A zoomer/cropper.... hmmm..... bet you love windowboxing....

Old May 3, 2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Whiny Mooch

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Serious cat? A zoomer/cropper.... hmmm..... bet you love windowboxing....
Not me, I'm making fun of my wife... but I think I broke her of it.
But it was probably my fault because...
When I had my rear crt projection screen I actually did that because I didn't want to image burn the tubes. Black bars on the side are not cool with CRT rear projection.

Edit: Yes windowboxing was easily fixed by zooming in on a 4:3 image.. That happened a lot in the early days of HDTV.

Last edited by guest : May 3, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old May 3, 2012, 05:54 PM   #13
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Not me, I'm making fun of my wife... but I think I broke her of it.
But it was probably my fault because...
When I had my rear crt projection screen I actually did that because I didn't want to image burn the tubes. Black bars on the side are not cool with CRT rear projection.
Ah.... although I prefer native, sometimes I leave the plasma in stretch mode if I think someone else is likely to risk burn in.
Old May 3, 2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Whiny Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Ah.... although I prefer native, sometimes I leave the plasma in stretch mode if I think someone else is likely to risk burn in.
I guess that would be another poll. Do you watch video at the correct aspect ratio or do you burn your screen in?

My CRT rear projection had gray side bars to help out with the issue but my OTA ATSC tuner had black side bars and there was no way around it. I started using HDTV 12 years ago when almost everything was still 4:3. I took some pictures of my set when CBS etc were bragging about HDTV, figured it would be a good piece of history.

I don't worry about burn in on the plasma because I didn't pay $6,000 for the set..
Old May 3, 2012, 06:30 PM   #15
Meteor|WAR
Need Humanity

Meteor|WAR can recite pi backwardsMeteor|WAR can recite pi backwardsMeteor|WAR can recite pi backwardsMeteor|WAR can recite pi backwardsMeteor|WAR can recite pi backwardsMeteor|WAR can recite pi backwardsMeteor|WAR can recite pi backwards

Unless you have a plasma from over 5 years ago (maybe even longer) you probably don't need to worry about burn in after the first month of use.
Old May 3, 2012, 07:38 PM   #16
Redshirt_X
The future is comin' on.

Redshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRedshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I did it back in the day with various SD shows I watched on my CRT HDTV, but thankfully I grew out of that...and got away from CRT screens...

Quote:
OAR or bust
+6.

1. "OMG IT'S COMING!!!"
2. "OMG IT'S HERE!!!!!"
3. "....wait a minute. This isn't the Second Coming! This sucks!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
I like them tall and petite.
Redshirt_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:33 PM   #17
HiThere
salty cracker

HiThere is still being judged by the masses

I never alter OAR, but I use zoom sometimes when cartoon network (one of the networks you don't get in HD on FiOS) airs something in widescreen letterbox and I don't want to watch it with black bars around all sides. Usually, in that situation, I wait for someone to post the 720p keyboard drivers that fix the issue.

Young justice a day late, every week
Old May 5, 2012, 12:01 AM   #18
Zero
Sass hole

Zero exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselZero exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselZero exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselZero exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselZero exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselZero exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselZero exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselZero exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselZero exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselZero exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselZero exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Sometimes, when I go to other people's houses, I change their tvs to OAR

"Optimists believe this is the best of all possible worlds. Pessimists fear that it is true."
-Robert Oppenheimer

"I love my dog. But my doctor say we cannot make babies. I guess we'll adopt children and just have sechs."
-SpongeBebop, Rage3D 2003

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the group. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friederich Nietzsche on James Crivellone

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Intel Q9550 (400x8.5 1.25v stock HSF)
Corsair HX620
4GB Mushkin XP2 DDR2 PC-8500 (500 5-5-5-2)
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD
Logitech EasyCall Desktop KB + Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
T9300 2.5GHz 6MB Cache VM-enabled
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1
HDMI audio-capable output

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
4GB Mushkin XP2 DDR2 PC-8500 (500 5-5-5-2)
ATI 4770 1GB
500GB Western Digital + 250GB Maxtor HDs
Samsung 50" PN50C550 Plasma TV

Dark Knight Modded Xbox 360 Premium (Launch)
XBox 360 RE5 Elite (Jasper)
Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 04:35 AM   #19
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

No one wants to volunteer for the rack???
Old May 7, 2012, 11:14 AM   #20
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post
Unless you have a plasma from over 5 years ago (maybe even longer) you probably don't need to worry about burn in after the first month of use.
As long as the contrast is not set to overly strong values. even the old plasmas wouldn't burn in. It's the folks that had it cranked to 100 all the time that would have the majority of the issues.

I had one of the first plasmas many moons ago and never once had burn in (and I monitored stocks and helpdesk apps with static screens) sure the pixel shift tweaks helped for extreme scenarios but too much contrast even on modern sets can burn in (although not likely) I walk into some places and wonder how people can watch the screen with the contrast and brightness kicked so high.

Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
Old May 7, 2012, 12:42 PM   #21
Meteor|WAR
Need Humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabran View Post
As long as the contrast is not set to overly strong values. even the old plasmas wouldn't burn in. It's the folks that had it cranked to 100 all the time that would have the majority of the issues.

I had one of the first plasmas many moons ago and never once had burn in (and I monitored stocks and helpdesk apps with static screens) sure the pixel shift tweaks helped for extreme scenarios but too much contrast even on modern sets can burn in (although not likely) I walk into some places and wonder how people can watch the screen with the contrast and brightness kicked so high.
I'm betting its simply a case of these people being uninformed on basic calibration methods and their eyes are untrained for what really looks good and bad. Most people out there believe LCDs set in torch mode with over-saturated color look better than a properly ISF and grayscale calibrated plasma. Most of them think the plasma looks very bland and dim compared to theirs, when in actuality it is more natural looking with more accurate colors and gamma.
Old May 7, 2012, 01:12 PM   #22
Loopy
Radeon HD 6870

Loopy is still being judged by the masses

OAR only except kids 4:3 programming. My last plasma had bad IR and developed a dark smear where the left hand pillar bar would have started, maybe burn in, maybe not I don't know (and yes it was properly calibrated). Being a little more cautious on the new set and I don't think 2 year olds care if Dora is stretched or not. .
Old May 7, 2012, 10:53 PM   #23
drumphil
Rage3D Veteran

drumphil is still being judged by the masses

I gave up a long time ago trying to explain to people why watching 4:3 video in stretch mode was just plain retarded. The sort of person who wants this doesn't want it for technical reasons, and can't be talked out of it with technical reasoning. People can't get past the feeling that something is wrong, because black bars on a 4:3 CRT of the past meant that something was drastically wrong, and they don't understand why some videos don't use all of their big screen that they just paid for.

That's my theory anyway.

12Bass: re: 9/11 nano-thermite conspiracy theory "Nanotermites... turns out it was a spelling error. Also explains the lack of explosions before the collapse."

Last edited by drumphil : May 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:15 PM   #24
Omega53
Trolling like it's 1999

Omega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesOmega53 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I zoom in as much as possible to distort the image as much as I can

I lied
AMD Driver Issues
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 03:12 PM   #25
Clockwork
Rage3D Spammer

Clockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete strangerClockwork once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
OAR or bust
This.
"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides." - Carl Sagan
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 05:22 PM   #26
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics once held a door open for a complete strangeraviphysics once held a door open for a complete strangeraviphysics once held a door open for a complete strangeraviphysics once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
OAR or bust
+8
Old May 15, 2012, 04:43 PM   #27
Stingray
Banned

Stingray is still being judged by the masses

I stretch because I'm afraid to leave burn-in marks.
Is there a danger of that on a 3 YO LCD?
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 05:39 PM   #28
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
I stretch because I'm afraid to leave burn-in marks.
Is there a danger of that on a 3 YO LCD?

I would say there is no danger. Burn in really is not a problem anymore and a 3 year old set should not suffer from what the first generation of sets did many years ago.

The only time I have seen burn in even on the old sets is when they are 100% in torch mode with contrast maxxed out and not very watchable by any stretch of the imagination.

Old May 16, 2012, 12:01 AM   #29
DeathKnight
Rage3D Spammer

DeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird singsDeathKnight knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

About the worst you'll get is some slight image retention if you leave a contrasty or bright static image/element on the screen for hours on end. Black bars don't get burnt in.
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair H50 | MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | 2 x 4GB G.SKILL DDR3 2133 | Gigabyte GTX 570 | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD | Maxtor 300GB SATA Ultra16 | Seagate 500GB 32MB SATA2 | WD 640GB Black | Toshiba 2.5" 500GB in eSATA enclosure | Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD/RW drive | Antec P180B w/700w Thermaltake TP modular PSU | Win 7 Pro | 1920x1080 w/LCD TV
HT: Philips 42PFL3603D/27 42" 1080P LCD HDTV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Sigma 100-300mm F4 EX APO | Sigma EX APO 1.4x TC | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead

My New Photo Gallery (prints available)
Old Gallery
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 10:06 AM   #30
Stingray
Banned

Stingray is still being judged by the masses

Cool, thanks.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote