Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

"
View Poll Results: Soundbar w/ subwoofer or 5.1?
Soundbar 3 15.00%
5.1 system 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 3, 2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
NYHecK
Bad motha-shut yo mouth!™

NYHecK is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber
Default Soundbars vs. 5.1 surround

I'm in the market for a new sound system for my setup, but I didn't realize until I started looking how popular soundbars are. I've never heard one so I can't really judge the difference, but people sure do love them. Are they really comparable to the quality that a 5.1 system will give you?

Aesthetically, it's awesome because I won't need to mount speakers anywhere or put out of place speaker stands next to the sofa, but I don't want to sacrifice sound for aesthetics. Some of the sound bars are really expensive, so if I have to spend a bunch of money to get a sound that's comparable to a 5.1 system, it's not worth it in my opinion. I would only be interested in a soundbar that included a subwoofer.

Last edited by NYHecK : May 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
NYHecK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete strangerTrunks0 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

There are some out there that, depending on your room, can do a really decent job simulating a surround experience and sound great. However, you would still get a better experience from a 5.1 system.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 8Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - 120GiB HD Samsung 840 -
3TiB Seagate Expansion (USB 3.0 external) - PowerColor Radeon R7 260x TurboDuo - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 8.1 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:18 AM   #3
CurrentlyPissed
2.0 Litres of Fury

CurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird sings

While they work, they work by emulating. There is still a very vast difference. You will always tell the direction of the sound. You have a lot to gain from real 5.1 vs soundbar. As in directional sound, sound placement, clairity of surround positioning, and ofcourse. Volume.

-George Carlin

Quote:
Life is like an Arrow on a bow. It constantly drags you back. But you are just moments away from springing forward.
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 4, 2012, 01:46 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird singscaveman-jim knows why the caged bird sings

If you're looking for an easy way to get decent sound improvement over TV speakers, they're great (especially ones with wireless subs).

If you're looking for really great surround sound, then traditional 5.1 is the way to go.

sound bars are a great option if you don't have the luxury of fishing walls to run cable, mount speakers etc. or you have a room shape that would make setup of 5.1 problematic. Sometimes 'easy' and 'good enough' is the best choice.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 06:41 PM   #5
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
If you're looking for an easy way to get decent sound improvement over TV speakers, they're great (especially ones with wireless subs).

If you're looking for really great surround sound, then traditional 5.1 is the way to go.

sound bars are a great option if you don't have the luxury of fishing walls to run cable, mount speakers etc. or you have a room shape that would make setup of 5.1 problematic. Sometimes 'easy' and 'good enough' is the best choice.

100 % agree. I had a 5.1 running and while I love the true surround, When I moved, I didn't feel like fishing cable and my old Sony XBR had excellent sound (for $3500 it better have) When the backlight gave up the ghost, and I got the Vizio 47 incher the speakers have been the only thing I really didn't like. I picked up the Vizio soundbar with Sub and have been pleasantly surprised and while not true surround, it produces a very rich experience for what it is.

So good enough? Yes. Is it the best? No. When I finish the basement, I will be wiring for surround but until then this solution is more than acceptable.

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 09:38 AM   #6
hordaktheman
Hans... boobie...

hordaktheman is still being judged by the masses

I have the Yamaha YSP-2200 (supposedly one of the better soundbars and expensive as hell) and I was severely unimpressed considering all the glowing reviews I'd read. The speakers are ridiculously tinny and the 'true' 5.1 audio that it promised doesn't work half as well as advertised.

I'd get a 5.1 system with wireless speakers before I'd consider another soundbar. It's better than TV speakers but then you'd be better of just getting a quality stereo set.
hordaktheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:32 PM   #7
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hordaktheman View Post
I have the Yamaha YSP-2200 (supposedly one of the better soundbars and expensive as hell) and I was severely unimpressed considering all the glowing reviews I'd read. The speakers are ridiculously tinny and the 'true' 5.1 audio that it promised doesn't work half as well as advertised.

I'd get a 5.1 system with wireless speakers before I'd consider another soundbar. It's better than TV speakers but then you'd be better of just getting a quality stereo set.
The Yamaha bars are a perfect example of a name getting rave reviews rather than the product. I tried a Yamaha and a Sony soundbar and the Vizio produced much better sound across the board. The Vizio costs less, sounds better and is just a better product overall.

I tried wireless speakers before and would rather wait until I finish the basement which will be wired for surround and use the soundbar until then. I am not impressed with wireless speakers at all.

Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
Old May 5, 2012, 11:44 PM   #8
NYHecK

Subscriber

There's also the Vizio sounbar with rear speakers. Hybrid soundbar/5.1. They are the only ones that I have seen with that setup. That could be a nice compromise.
Old May 7, 2012, 01:05 AM   #9
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke can recite pi backwardsOzzieBloke can recite pi backwardsOzzieBloke can recite pi backwardsOzzieBloke can recite pi backwardsOzzieBloke can recite pi backwardsOzzieBloke can recite pi backwardsOzzieBloke can recite pi backwards

It's better than TV surround, but will never replace true 5.1 for clarity, richness, and positioning.
You put your left foot in, you take your left foot out, you put your left foot in, and you shake it all about. You do the Hokey Pokey and you turn around, and that's probably the first sign you suffer from severe OCD.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 04:40 AM   #10
junglist1996
Reload selecta!

junglist1996 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabran View Post
I tried wireless speakers before and would rather wait until I finish the basement which will be wired for surround and use the soundbar until then. I am not impressed with wireless speakers at all.
I recently listed to a pair of Dynaudio Xeo 3 active wireless bookshelf speakers and I was quite impressed with its quality. Its price might not fit everybody's budget, but I think it's not a bad deal considering you're getting a stereo DAC, amp, and speakers in one simple package. They also have a floorstanding version if you don't like bookshelf speakers.
<= See "System Specs" | CPU Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 2.4GHz | Mobo Asus P5Q Deluxe | RAM 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800 | GPU HIS Radeon HD6570 1GB | SSD 120GB Intel 320 | Optical LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray/HD DVD | Case Origen AE S16V | PSU Zalman ZM600-HP | OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Input Logitech MX Air + Logitech diNovo Edge | TV Panasonic VIERA TH-P50V20H 50" Plasma 1080p | DAC Wyred4Sound DAC2 24/192 Async USB | Integrated amplifier Musical Fidelity AMS35i 35wpc pure Class A | Loudspeakers Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand | ASRock Core 100HT | CPU Core i3 350M 2.26GHz | Chipset Intel HM55 | RAM 4GB Kingston DDR3 1333 | GPU Intel HD Graphics | SSD 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 | Optical LG Super-Multi DVD burner | OS Windows 7 Home Premium x64 | Input Logitech K400 | TV Sony BRAVIA KDL-40HX750 40" LED 1080p | DAC Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC 24/192 w/ M2Tech hiFace USB->SPDIF | Integrated amplifier Musical Fidelity A1 20wpc Class A | Loudspeakers DALI Royal Menuet II on Solidsteel ZR-7 | Dell XPS 15 (9530) | CPU Core i7 4702HQ 2.2GHz | Chipset Intel HM87 | RAM 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU Nvidia GT 750M 2GB Optimus + Intel HD Graphics 4600 | SSD 512GB Samsung SM841 | OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64 | Input Backlit keyboard (built-in) + Logitech Performance Mouse M950 + Filco Majestouch Ninja keyboard (Cherry MX Brown) | Display 15.6" 3200x1800 Touch + Matrox DualHead2Go w/ 2 x Dell UltraSharp 1907FP 2560x1024 | Sound Realtek HD Audio | Microsoft Surface Pro | CPU Core i5 3317U 1.7GHz | Chipset Intel HM77 | RAM 4GB DDR3 1600 | GPU Intel HD Graphics 4000 | SSD 128GB Micron RealSSD C400 | OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64 | Input Touch Cover + Surface Pen | Display 10.6" 1920x1080 touchscreen | QNAP TS-219P | 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 RAID 1

Would you like to help cure cancer with your uber rig? Join the fold at Team Rage 3D today!
junglist1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:03 AM   #11
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
It's better than TV surround, but will never replace true 5.1 for clarity, richness, and positioning.
Nothing will replace the true surround experience but as Caveman said "good enough"is the best option sometimes given the environment installed.

Old May 7, 2012, 11:06 AM   #12
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglist1996 View Post
I recently listed to a pair of Dynaudio Xeo 3 active wireless bookshelf speakers and I was quite impressed with its quality. Its price might not fit everybody's budget, but I think it's not a bad deal considering you're getting a stereo DAC, amp, and speakers in one simple package. They also have a floorstanding version if you don't like bookshelf speakers.
If I were to go with a totally wireless environment, this would be good but the price is steep when I can get better for a wired solution when the basement is finished.

Sure I miss the true surround but the bar is performing well and for the next two months is not much of a compromise.

Old May 19, 2012, 01:48 PM   #13
NYHecK

Subscriber

I guess I should update. I went ahead and bought another Onkyo system. The HT-S3500. It was about the same price of any decent soundbar. Thanks for all the input guys