Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

"

Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
teh_moleman
Radeon HD 6950

teh_moleman is still being judged by the masses

Default Looking for a new SSD after 2nd failure

So I've had 2 ssd's fail on me so far, both OCZ Vertex 2 60gb. The first worked great for 8-9 months then suddenly died, no longer found in the bios. The second an rma replacement drive which lasted only 2 months before failing the same way. I'm going to rma again, and OCZ will replace it with an Agility 3 this time, but I did the research and now realize it's an all too common problem with Sandforce drives, so I probably won't use it, or at least not for anything important.

I almost swore off SSDs for good, but after using one I simply can't go back to a HDD OS drive. I'm leaning mostly towards the Crucial M4 256gb as it seems to have a lot of good reviews and "reliable" is thrown around quite a lot. I know Intel ssd's are supposed to be good too, though I haven't read up much on them. And finally, the OCZ Vertex 4, only because it's no longer a Sandforce controller and close in price to the others. Only thing about the OCZ is that it's brand new and sounds almost experimental, so it might be risky. So any recommendations either for or against any of these?

On another note, while it's easy to blame OCZ/Sandforce for the drive failures, could it possibly be something I'm doing wrong? I've done the usual stuff: AHCI, defrag off, moving any write intensive things to a standard hdd. Anything at all I might be missing that could be stressing out the ssd?
teh_moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Swiftdeathz
7870 CFX

Swiftdeathz is still being judged by the masses

I'm using an M4 128GB and so far so good, it's my first SSD so hopefully my experience will continue on the positive side of things.
Swiftdeathz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:04 PM   #3
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Personally not had any problems with my OCZ drives (Vertex and Onyx), could have said the same about my Crucial ones until the last couple of months - 3 of 4 dead like yours, waiting for RMA.

If I were looking now, I'd want one with a Marvell controller, I think.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Mystik
Rage3D Veteran

Mystik is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Personally not had any problems with my OCZ drives (Vertex and Onyx), could have said the same about my Crucial ones until the last couple of months - 3 of 4 dead like yours, waiting for RMA.

If I were looking now, I'd want one with a Marvell controller, I think.
the crucial m4 does use a marvell controller, though.
i know about 4 people who have use the crucial m4 and have no issues.

also know a person with the mushkin chronos and he loves it.

and another one with an intel 520, despite it being sandforce, says he's had
no issues with it.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Ryoko
Excessively retarded

Ryoko is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystik View Post

also know a person with the mushkin chronos and he loves it.

and another one with an intel 520, despite it being sandforce, says he's had
no issues with it.
all of the above.

if intel is ok with putting their name on a sandforce drive, especially with the stigma associated with it, then the major issues should be fixed in the latest firmwares.

i have a sandforce 520 and a marvell 510, both of which are awesome. the crucial m4 should be close to par with the 510, and mushkin stands behind their products and the mere mention of their name.
Intel i7 2700k CPU @4.6GHz, Radeon HD6950 GPU, Mushkin 7-8-7-24 1.6GHz RAM, 20.3TB HDD+SSD (16.3TB usable), 33k PPD Intel i7 2600k CPU @4.4GHz, Radeon HD5870 GPU, 1.3GHz RAM, 2TB HDD 29k PPD Intel C2D E7500 CPU, Radeon HD5770 GPU, 1.06GHz RAM, 1TB HDD, 3k PPD Intel i7 2600k CPU, Radeon HD6870 GPU, 1.3GHz RAM, .75TB HDD, 20k PPD
All folding for Rage3d.
"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world."
I remember when movies had plots and video games didn't.
Ryoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Guybo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_moleman View Post
So I've had 2 ssd's fail on me so far, both OCZ Vertex 2 60gb. The first worked great for 8-9 months then suddenly died, no longer found in the bios. The second an rma replacement drive which lasted only 2 months before failing the same way. I'm going to rma again, and OCZ will replace it with an Agility 3 this time, but I did the research and now realize it's an all too common problem with Sandforce drives, so I probably won't use it, or at least not for anything important.

I almost swore off SSDs for good, but after using one I simply can't go back to a HDD OS drive. I'm leaning mostly towards the Crucial M4 256gb as it seems to have a lot of good reviews and "reliable" is thrown around quite a lot. I know Intel ssd's are supposed to be good too, though I haven't read up much on them. And finally, the OCZ Vertex 4, only because it's no longer a Sandforce controller and close in price to the others. Only thing about the OCZ is that it's brand new and sounds almost experimental, so it might be risky. So any recommendations either for or against any of these?

On another note, while it's easy to blame OCZ/Sandforce for the drive failures, could it possibly be something I'm doing wrong? I've done the usual stuff: AHCI, defrag off, moving any write intensive things to a standard hdd. Anything at all I might be missing that could be stressing out the ssd?

You too, huh? My 2 drives were OCZ- the orig Petrol drive and the Vertex 3 RMA replacement. I'm going to get a 60GB replacement drive just for SSD caching. Everything I read says to go for an Intel drive, though I hear good things about Samsung as well.
Guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Crisler
Rage3D Veteran

Crisler is still being judged by the masses

I have a couple of Agility 2 that still are running great from day one as well as my various models of Kingston. The only SSD failure I ever had was a Torq from Patriot but they replaced it quick.
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Nunz
Blueshirt

Nunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestNunz considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

How long have you guys had your SSDs?
Part of the reason I haven't picked one up yet is due to not knowing how long they last. Harddrives usually last me 3 years or more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curio on GTA V View Post
I start feeling like crap after a while - and not just from sitting all day playing video games and not taking care of myself; but this **** always makes me real cynical. I start hating people, hating America, hating life in general. I swear this game slowly starts making me a sociopath.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:00 AM   #9
teh_moleman
Radeon HD 6950

Thanks for the comments so far. Think I'll drop the Vertex 4 off the list. It might be one of the best performers to date, but I don't think I want to be a beta tester for them at this point.

I'm going to look up more info on the Intel drives. They're certainly more expensive for less space, so hopefully it's due to higher quality and not just an added premium for the brand.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:03 AM   #10
H001iGAN
Orzysz

H001iGAN is still being judged by the masses

I still have some 1st gen ssds got them around the same time as gtx 285s came out, also have a couple of agility2, i've never had a ssd fail, I only have ocz brand 7 of them are in day to day use
H001iGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:11 PM   #11
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

kakarot is still being judged by the masses

I've had good luck with Intel ssd's so I will probably stick with them when the time comes again. Still using an 80gb x25 with about 18k hours and 7TB worth of writes on it I don't tweak anything tho, just install windows and use it
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:40 PM   #12
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystik View Post
My Corsair drives are Force 120's, first gen, about 18-24mo. old. Sandforce 1200 controller.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:45 PM   #13
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

I have a C300 and a M4. Both work great and feel very fast (M4 seems noticably faster) C300 is about 16 months old, M4 is about 8 months old.

Old May 3, 2012, 06:38 PM   #14
teh_moleman
Radeon HD 6950

Alright then, so did a ton of research and went with...none of the choices I was thinking about. Instead I went with the Samsung 830 256gb. Not as much history as the Marvell ssd's, but still seems to be an excellent drive, and so far Samsung hasn't let me down on the couple of dozen things I have from them. Also finding it on sale for $70 off was a good incentive

Now one thing I plan to do this time around is to make a ghost image once I have a clean install. First of all, I wonder what's a good, preferably free, program for that? There was a version of the Samsung ssd that came with Norton Ghost, but I've been Norton free for 10 years and prefer to stay that way.

And another question is when is the best or proper time to make a ghost image? Do I let any Windows updates install first? Any drivers or other programs? Anything that definitely should NOT be installed?

Anyway, it should be delivered tomorrow. These last few weeks of 2min reboots and nonstop hard drive crunching have been pretty unbearable.
Old May 3, 2012, 07:26 PM   #15
Zero
Sass hole

Zero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Don't mean to hijack but what would you guys recommend for a 3Gbps SATAII interface?

"Optimists believe this is the best of all possible worlds. Pessimists fear that it is true."
-Robert Oppenheimer

"I love my dog. But my doctor say we cannot make babies. I guess we'll adopt children and just have sechs."
-SpongeBebop, Rage3D 2003

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the group. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friederich Nietzsche on James Crivellone

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Intel Q9550 (400x8.5 1.25v stock HSF)
Corsair HX620
4GB Mushkin XP2 DDR2 PC-8500 (500 5-5-5-2)
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD
Logitech EasyCall Desktop KB + Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
T9300 2.5GHz 6MB Cache VM-enabled
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1
HDMI audio-capable output

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
4GB Mushkin XP2 DDR2 PC-8500 (500 5-5-5-2)
ATI 4770 1GB
500GB Western Digital + 250GB Maxtor HDs
Samsung 50" PN50C550 Plasma TV

Dark Knight Modded Xbox 360 Premium (Launch)
XBox 360 RE5 Elite (Jasper)
Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Zero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 07:02 AM   #16
xxJACKxx
Radeon HD 6870

xxJACKxx is still being judged by the masses

I've got a pair of Mushkin drives I have had for a year and a half. No issues with either one.
xxJACKxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 07:09 AM   #17
mrbaggs
Ashes to Ashes

mrbaggs is still being judged by the masses

I'm on my second Corsair Force III already, first one died after only 3 months. Hoping it was just a bad unit and not a sign of things to come from its replacement.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:16 AM   #18
CurrentlyPissed
2.0 Litres of Fury

CurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird singsCurrentlyPissed knows why the caged bird sings

This is my SSD list

OCZ Agillity 2 -- Died
OCZ Agillity 2 -- Sold on here, dunno where it is now
Crucial M4 64 -- Still running, had the firmware issue. But outside that, great drive. Kinda slow (500read/95write)
OCZ Octane 120 -- Returned, was the slowest SSD I have ever had.
Muskin Chronos 120 -- Current, love it, fastest I've had yet (560read/510write 90k IOPS).

The Chronos can be had for $114 for the 120GB on Newegg, highly suggest.

Also I have had to contact each of them at one point for Tech service. OCZ for the RMA, M4 for the firmware issue, and Muskin for an installing issue (which turned out to be my fault). Crucial and Mushkin support was great. OCZ was unbearable.

Crucial does offer a trade up program as well. When I was going to RMA my M4 I asked if I could receive a 120GB model back, they said sure and would just charge me the difference. But I didnt have to RMA it as it was just a firmware issue.

-George Carlin

Quote:
Life is like an Arrow on a bow. It constantly drags you back. But you are just moments away from springing forward.

Last edited by CurrentlyPissed : May 4, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
CurrentlyPissed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Burn
Radeon HD 7970

Burn is still being judged by the masses

i have two Crucial M4 128 in raid .. getting something like 768 read and 360 Write ... they are great.

Crucial released the 000F firmware on 04/11/2012 change are :
  • Improved compatibility with certain SAS expanders and peripheral RAID cards.
  • Improved throughput stability under extremely heavy workloads.
  • Improved data protection in the event of unexpected, asynchronous power loss.
Absolutely no problems so far

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:47 PM   #20
Meteor|WAR
Total bummer

Meteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled withMeteor|WAR is not someone to be trifled with

I've had good luck so far with my Corsair Force GT 120GB. Had it for 2 months now.

You may also want to check out Intel's new 330 series SSDs. Good balance of performance and affordability compared to their other SATA3 series drives which are usually on the pricey side.
Meteor|WAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 07:01 AM   #21
Arghuin
Nexus 6

Arghuin is still being judged by the masses

Anyone has / had any experience with the Samsung 830 series? I'm kinda looking into the 128 and 256 GB models at the moment
Arghuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 02:07 AM   #22
Alientank
Mr. Pinch point

Alientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badgesAlientank doesn't need no stinkin' badges

My SSD has been fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
It's happening to Jupiter now? Usually there's objects constantly slamming against Uranus.
Alientank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 08:14 PM   #23
train2win
Rage3D Veteran

train2win is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arghuin View Post
Anyone has / had any experience with the Samsung 830 series? I'm kinda looking into the 128 and 256 GB models at the moment

I am also interested in one of those...anyone have any negative experience with these?
Old May 7, 2012, 09:03 PM   #24
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

I have a kingston 128GB drive, while not the fastest is still a large margin faster than a mechanical drive.

I went with the kingston because everyone I know with a Sandforce based drive has had nothing but issues and my middle of the road kingston keeps chugging away perfectly. Now Kingston will be using sandforce so they go off my list.

My issue with SSD in the consumer space is they are more concerned with pushing performance and not reliability. With our storage devices, firmware upgrades should be the exception and not the norm.

I couldn't care less if it pushes 550 or 500MB second, and just want to know the data stored on the device is safe.

When they get the stability up I will be a little more inclined to trust it for more critical data. I backup daily but should not have to worry if my SSD will decide to flake because firmware is crud.

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 02:13 PM   #25
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshadow001 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I now use a pair of Intel 520 SSD's( 240GB size), largely based on the experience with their previous 510 drives wich have been bullet proof for over a year now....They are more expensive than other drives for a given capacity and they're not the absolute fastest, but Intel takes a backseat to no one when it comes to reliability.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 02:20 PM   #26
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundLupine can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Subscriber

Current firmware?

I'm running a Crucial 128GB M4 and, once I disable my lazy switch, will install the 2nd one I bought a few months ago for some RAID0 action. Also never had a problem w/ my gen1 SSD (160GB Intel X25-M, Kingston branded). Basically sounds like a YMMV regardless of brand, but seems to help if you stay on top of the firmware updates.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:44 AM   #27
Destroy
Rage3D Spammer

Destroy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDestroy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Went through 2 GSkill 120Gig SSD drives in my laptop on RMA due to total loss of MBR.

Finally on 3rd one they suggested I try their Sniper series. It's been going solid and totally glitch free for almost a year now.

Figure drivers were actually ok but it was some hardware incompatibility issue.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:16 AM   #28
Ciera
Bueno

Ciera is still being judged by the masses

wow, current gen drives with 500mb/s r&w 50000iops is nuts. i'm still chugging along with the vertex 2 60gb i bought almost 2 years ago. i've been skirting along 5gb free on it for the better part of 6 months. been thinking of upgrading (since the mobo i bought last year has sata3 ports), but i can't bring myself to pull the trigger. i think i'll wait and see if prices drop a bit first.
Ciera is offline   Reply With Quote