Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

"

Old May 2, 2012, 08:31 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dark_Swordmaster
Rage3D Veteran

Dark_Swordmaster is still being judged by the masses

You will base your purchase decision on whether or not a game comes out of the box with 3D support? I've heard of graphic whoring but that's insane.
Dark_Swordmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:39 AM   #32
Arioch
3D Vision Fanboy

Arioch is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Swordmaster View Post
You will base your purchase decision on whether or not a game comes out of the box with 3D support? I've heard of graphic whoring but that's insane.
Unfortunately I can't buy every game that comes out like I did when I was younger. I also don't steal games so I am picky about what I buy even though I do make a purchasing mistake from time to time.

This game comes out at the end of the year which generally is a time when a lot of releases come out. So yes, things like 3D support factor in to my buying games, especially when I don't do much multiplayer gaming and the single player campaigns mean more to me than they would for other people.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:59 AM   #33
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM can recite pi backwards_TiTaNiuM can recite pi backwards_TiTaNiuM can recite pi backwards_TiTaNiuM can recite pi backwards_TiTaNiuM can recite pi backwards_TiTaNiuM can recite pi backwards_TiTaNiuM can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplode View Post
Lol Mangler I can't tell when you're serious or not. I like CoD games, but man they need to make a new ****ing engine already. This is getting ridiculous. If they make a new engine with new tech it would be awesome.
unlikely until the next gen of consoles. So, we'll see another 2-3 more cod games on this old engine.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 2, 2012, 11:31 AM   #34
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSundance Kid V2 considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSundance Kid V2 considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSundance Kid V2 considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSundance Kid V2 considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSundance Kid V2 considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSundance Kid V2 considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSundance Kid V2 considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSundance Kid V2 considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSundance Kid V2 considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSundance Kid V2 considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM View Post
unlikely until the next gen of consoles. So, we'll see another 2-3 more cod games on this old engine.
Yup.. and the consolesheeple will buy COD reharsh every time...
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 11:36 AM   #35
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM can recite pi backwards_TiTaNiuM can recite pi backwards_TiTaNiuM can recite pi backwards_TiTaNiuM can recite pi backwards_TiTaNiuM can recite pi backwards_TiTaNiuM can recite pi backwards_TiTaNiuM can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Kid V2 View Post
Yup.. and the consolesheeple will buy COD reharsh every time...
It doesn't need a new engine to be enjoyable. tens of millions of people buy and enjoy the game every year.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:21 PM   #36
meerkat154
Radeon 7870

meerkat154 is still being judged by the masses

$ find . -name ‘COD*.VB' -print | xargs sed -i -e ‘s/version 1/version2/g’
meerkat154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:47 PM   #37
Ziklitschli
Rage3D Veteran

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli is still being judged by the masses

As someone said a lot of BF2142 designs there but generaly the move to future is good, maybe it will allow some suspension of disbelief in SP which is unachieveable for me with Modern Warfare. They really should put the protagonist into some kind of armor to justify the body count though.

Having the plague or typhus like choice I prefer Treyarch CoD over Infinity Ward CoD. World at War was better imo gameplay wise and really liked the gore, managed to play it for a good three hours when anything that came out from IW after United ofensive is 20 minutes tops at once for me.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:14 PM   #38
dawdler
Rage3D Veteran

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Riding horses?

They where supposed to ride dinosaurs!!!
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:16 PM   #39
Omega53
Trolling like it's 1999

Omega53 is not someone to be trifled withOmega53 is not someone to be trifled withOmega53 is not someone to be trifled withOmega53 is not someone to be trifled withOmega53 is not someone to be trifled withOmega53 is not someone to be trifled withOmega53 is not someone to be trifled withOmega53 is not someone to be trifled with

OMG OMG OMGO GOM OMGO M OGO MGOMG OMG OMG OMGO MGOM GOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGO MG!!!! OMG!!!!!!1!!111111!!one11!!1!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/02/bl...rity/#comments

Quote:
Black Ops 2 will utilise the power of DX 11 on PC. As reported on One of Swords, Treyarch’s director of online highlighted the graphical upgrades during the recent Black Ops 2 reveal presentation. Despite the technical upgrades, getting the upcoming FPS to run at a 60 frames per second on all platforms is still high on Treyarch’s priority list.

Dan showed off the developer’s mixture of “tech and technique” during a walkthrough of a level set on Yemen’s Socotra Island. HDR lighting, bounce lighting, self shadowing and reveal mapping will all feature. They sound pretty. Treyarch showed off the new features next to footage of the first Black Ops, making it look a bit crummy by comparison.
AMD Driver Issues
Omega53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:10 PM   #40
eNforcer
Rage3D Veteran

eNforcer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyeNforcer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
They did not take care of the care package glitch quickly, it took them three tries until they eventually managed to fix it.

And about the map glitches:

Anyone remember doing this in rainbow six: rogue spear bunkers map?

You would start the climbing animation on a box and you would end up glitched underneath the map where you could snipe dudes.
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:20 PM   #41
spindoctor
Rage3D Spammer

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

you could do this for the longest time in one of the tf2 maps as well. engineers used to set turrets under the ground on the final capture point and the attackers would never be able to win :\
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 05:32 PM   #42
demo
space cadet

demo can recite pi backwardsdemo can recite pi backwardsdemo can recite pi backwardsdemo can recite pi backwardsdemo can recite pi backwardsdemo can recite pi backwardsdemo can recite pi backwards

This looks so fail, makes MW3 look awesome..
Old May 2, 2012, 07:12 PM   #43
nutcrackr
Rage3D Veteran

nutcrackr once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nutcrackr once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nutcrackr once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nutcrackr once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nutcrackr once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nutcrackr once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

worried already, they say they have yet to announce if it has dedicated servers or not.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:15 PM   #44
Dark_Swordmaster
Rage3D Veteran

It's a game coming out on the PC, it'll have dedicated servers!

It's a game supporting DX11, it'll have dedicated servers!

You're so silly, it'll have dedicated servers!
Old May 2, 2012, 09:23 PM   #45
Jaws of Life
She's got them on sale

Jaws of Life is still being judged by the masses

I'LL TAKE TWO!!! *unzips his pants* Time to piss on rubbish.

And to the "10s of million of people enjoy it". Look at what type of people enjoy it. Justin Beiber's compositional and musical talent is 1% that of Mozarts, but tens of million buy his albums. If he spent 2 minutes with Usher making a song that sold millions, it doesn't mean it's better; it's just genius marketing and business sense influencing a younger audience. COD and MW are EVERYTHING that is wrong with the direction FPS games are heading. It's the generation who don't know how to write a letter, don't know that FPS games used to have equal emphasis on movement skill not just twitch aim. It's not a case of "Back when", it's blatantly a degradation of difficulty to just churn more profit on the wallets of lazy gamers.
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-M Pro| CPU: Intel i5-2500 @ 3.3ghz : 8gb DDR3 Kingston RAM| VGA: Nvidia Gigabyte 896mb GTX260 | HDD: 2x640gb WE SATAII | Case: Thermaltake ARMOR | PSU: Coolmaster Silent Pro M700 | Sound: SB X-FI Xtreme | OS: Vista x64 SP2 Home Premium | Monitor: Black Widscreen LG 24" LCD

Last edited by Jaws of Life : May 2, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Jaws of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 04:51 AM   #46
Ziklitschli
Rage3D Veteran

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli is still being judged by the masses

Yes the CoD games are cheap and propaganda is pathetic. They are difficult on veteran but it's so artificial that it becomes completly unplayable (immersion - wise not difficulty wise) and even closer to Mad Dog McCree than usual. The only good thing imo that came from CoD is popularising the iron sights idea.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 08:10 AM   #47
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws of Life View Post
I'LL TAKE TWO!!! *unzips his pants* Time to piss on rubbish.

And to the "10s of million of people enjoy it". Look at what type of people enjoy it. Justin Beiber's compositional and musical talent is 1% that of Mozarts, but tens of million buy his albums. If he spent 2 minutes with Usher making a song that sold millions, it doesn't mean it's better; it's just genius marketing and business sense influencing a younger audience. COD and MW are EVERYTHING that is wrong with the direction FPS games are heading. It's the generation who don't know how to write a letter, don't know that FPS games used to have equal emphasis on movement skill not just twitch aim. It's not a case of "Back when", it's blatantly a degradation of difficulty to just churn more profit on the wallets of lazy gamers.
Are you suggesting there should be rocket jumping in call of duty?

I don't know about you but even going way way back to the original rainbow six, the emphasis was on twitch and aim almost 9/10. The pace was much slower and it did a lot more things on the difficulty scale but to say "back when" all games focused on being a agile panther is simply untrue.

I think you're confusing CoD with quake or UT. It's one thing the weapons are basically railguns, at the short distances of the games encounters ballistics have little effect, but to expect players to leap and dive and dodge bullets, I'm not sure you have the right impression of this game.

Also, I am sorry you're the minority. I feel you. I wish someone would revive rogue spear into modern day but it's unlikely. I'll still hold out hope. However, don't let closed minded elitism ruin your and everyone elses fun.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:19 PM   #48
Jaws of Life
She's got them on sale

I am the minority? You are misinformed. There's more gamers that want stimulus not just from sound and visuals, but from a high-skill cap game that is fun but also engages the mind. And of course, any suggestion of a game being dumbed-down dubs the poster "elitist". Tell me my internet friend, how is it elitist when games are not even stimulating people's skill at an AVERAGE level? I'd gladly accept average at this point in time. The skill bar is incredibly low at the moment that the only refuge are RTS games.

FPS games now are nothing more than spoon-fed, linear mapping with flashing hint messages, shitty FoV, relying on sly marketing and only appealing to generic senses. It's a fashion that plagues the entertainment industry as a whole. TV, movies, music. Youth--and by youth I mean very young because I am still within the bracket of "pretty young"--today are even more gullible and susceptible to dictated trends. Whether it's teachers and parents trying to find some psychological reason their child is performing badly, or some 14 year old playing CoD who doesn't want to think more than 1 move ahead; youth today ARE more slothful. Technology in social life is removing a lot of self-thought for kids.

Anyway I am veering off-path, let me just break it down in a more compact manner. FPS games today are 95% worse than the days of Quake, CS, DOD, NS and so forth. Can you still be entertained by them? Sure! But on a very primal level, like watching a politician do the "Macarena". Devs will just churn out sequels 10x more frequently, using the same engine, add a few maps and weapons then charge full price.

You know what they used to call sequels 6+ years ago? Patches.
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-M Pro| CPU: Intel i5-2500 @ 3.3ghz : 8gb DDR3 Kingston RAM| VGA: Nvidia Gigabyte 896mb GTX260 | HDD: 2x640gb WE SATAII | Case: Thermaltake ARMOR | PSU: Coolmaster Silent Pro M700 | Sound: SB X-FI Xtreme | OS: Vista x64 SP2 Home Premium | Monitor: Black Widscreen LG 24" LCD

Last edited by Jaws of Life : May 4, 2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:34 PM   #49
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu is not someone to be trifled withwangFu is not someone to be trifled withwangFu is not someone to be trifled withwangFu is not someone to be trifled withwangFu is not someone to be trifled withwangFu is not someone to be trifled withwangFu is not someone to be trifled with

i remember UTs community bonus packs... nowadays they call those things "DLC" and you have to pay for them
laptop: Toshiba Qosmio i7 3630qm/12gb ddr3/GTX670m/256gb Crucial M4
desktop:Asus M4A79XTD EVO/Phenom II 955/2x4gb Samsung green/HD6950(70)
work: E2160@2.4ghz/2gb DDR2 5300/Integrated graphics
mobile: Nexus 4
wangFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 06:35 AM   #50
Jaws of Life
She's got them on sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangFu View Post
i remember UTs community bonus packs... nowadays they call those things "DLC" and you have to pay for them
So true. You know what? Whenever the FPS debate--if you can really even call it a debate--comes up again I am going to just post the following...

If DOOM was played today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yIxUOWrtw

If Quake was played today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtB...eature=related

Sure most have seen it before. They cover everything from 5min logo intros, weapon models taking about 3/4 of the screen to markers ****ing everywhere. Are we making FPS games for chimps? lol no, chimps are smarter.

And the end of the Quake clip when he goes "What the hell happened?" then we see some actual proper action. My sentiments exactly. Gamers got more dumb and the developers got smarter. What do new gamers have for a reference point of quality? Every kid should have to watch VoO in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atI5SyXD070 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiX9d_j1Xao Then maybe we'll get some budding devs who will reverse this pathetic trend.

Last edited by Jaws of Life : May 4, 2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:58 AM   #51
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

Quote:
I am the minority? You are misinformed.
You know what they used to call sequels 6+ years ago? Patches.
You should check steam stats sometime. You do realize that Call of Duty is primarily a console game, correct? Right now the steam peak for shooters is probably somewhere around 224,000 people combined. 58,000 of those roughly are to CoD titles. 106,000 to CS and CS source, and 48,000 to TF2.

I'd put money on if you counted all the CoD's on xbox and ps3 you'd have well over 350k playing. plus ~57k on PC.

You want complex games yet CS is still the most popular PC shooter between 12-5 (orig and source) years after it's release. Red Orchestra and Arma don't even have enough players online to be in the top 100.

And no, they did not call sequels patches 6+ years ago. Patches did not contain full single player campaigns with 18+ new multiplayer maps, new models and skins, new dialogue, or a full suite of new weapons. Pull your head out of your ass dude, for real.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:09 AM   #52
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

Quote:
So true. You know what? Whenever the FPS debate--if you can really even call it a debate--comes up again I am going to just post the following...

If DOOM was played today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yIxUOWrtw

If Quake was played today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtB...eature=related

Sure most have seen it before. They cover everything from 5min logo intros, weapon models taking about 3/4 of the screen to markers ****ing everywhere. Are we making FPS games for chimps? lol no, chimps are smarter.

And the end of the Quake clip when he goes "What the hell happened?" then we see some actual proper action. My sentiments exactly. Gamers got more dumb and the developers got smarter. What do new gamers have for a reference point of quality? Every kid should have to watch VoO in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atI5SyXD070 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiX9d_j1Xao Then maybe we'll get some budding devs who will reverse this pathetic trend.
Have you ever stopped to consider that perhaps people like a little story, even if bad, in their games? Versus "okay doom marine kill everything in sight" and you ask if they make games TODAY for chimps.

Come on, do you HONESTLY believe that if Doom or quake was remade today with modern graphics, new maps and absolutely no other changes to gameplay that it would be considered a "good" game and sell enough to justify it's development?
Old May 4, 2012, 11:38 AM   #53
dawdler
Rage3D Veteran

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
And the end of the Quake clip when he goes "What the hell happened?" then we see some actual proper action. My sentiments exactly. Gamers got more dumb and the developers got smarter.
Some gamers also grew old and now womit at the very thought of playing something like Quake because their eyeballs would pop out of their sockets from the breakneck adreline-arcade speeds
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 12:51 PM   #54
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Sasquach once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Sasquach once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Sasquach once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Sasquach once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Sasquach once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Have you ever stopped to consider that perhaps people like a little story, even if bad, in their games? Versus "okay doom marine kill everything in sight" and you ask if they make games TODAY for chimps.

Come on, do you HONESTLY believe that if Doom or quake was remade today with modern graphics, new maps and absolutely no other changes to gameplay that it would be considered a "good" game and sell enough to justify it's development?
A good story doesnt mean you have to turn the game from a crazy "i can go anywhere and get lost" to "Go here and only here, we wont allow you to go anywhere else but here so you can only go here"
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Samsung Syncmaster 205BW (21" widescreen) on ATI Radeon HD 5870 (Catalyst 11.1a)
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Logitech Z-5300 THX 5.1 surround and Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
---AMD Dragon+ Platform---
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 12:53 PM   #55
Mangler
RIP PC Gaming

Mangler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Mangler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Mangler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Mangler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Mangler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Mangler once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

According to the interviews, treyarch is abandoning the linear cod formula in blops2, according to them, they are taking a sandbox approach.

So I guess that means wider corridors.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 01:01 PM   #56
bittermann
Rage3D Veteran

bittermann knows why the caged bird singsbittermann knows why the caged bird singsbittermann knows why the caged bird singsbittermann knows why the caged bird singsbittermann knows why the caged bird sings

All you COD lovers can rejoice. Amazon has just stated Black OPS II is the biggest pre-order festival (sales) ever...I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:51 AM   #57
Chubz
It's a strange condition.

Chubz once held a door open for a complete strangerChubz once held a door open for a complete strangerChubz once held a door open for a complete strangerChubz once held a door open for a complete stranger

2006 - Battlefield 2142

2012 - Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Quote:
Serious Sam seems to have done pretty well and although it differs from Doom in many ways, it's similar in that there's next to no story, cinematics are kept to a minimum, and the gameplay consists of killing tons of enemies with a large arsenal of weapons.
Chubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:51 AM   #58
Dark_Swordmaster
Rage3D Veteran

There's only so ****ing many giant robot designs before they look similar.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:54 AM   #59
Chubz
It's a strange condition.

Chubz once held a door open for a complete strangerChubz once held a door open for a complete strangerChubz once held a door open for a complete strangerChubz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Swordmaster View Post
There's only so ****ing many giant robot designs before they look similar.
Oh I was laughing at the tech, not the robot designs themselves. I just thought it was funny that when put side-by-side, the Call of Duty engine is so ancient even Battlefield 2142 looks comparable in some ways.
Chubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:55 AM   #60
Dark_Swordmaster
Rage3D Veteran

It's an engine based on Quake 3 tech. It's the engine for the first MW.