Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

"

Old May 3, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Default So I rooted my Razr... now what?

Well, I've lost internet connection at the house for at least till tomorrow. That finally inspired me to root my phone so I can use wireless tethering, and so far it's working great (but slow). Damn 3G...

Anyway, what else is there that I should do? I kind of want to put ICS on my phone, but there are strong rumors Motorola/Verizon will roll those updates on the 27th~. In which case, will I have to unroot my phone to get that update?
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 06:45 PM   #2
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I've been wanting to put ics on my sgs2 but waiting for the official update from my carrier, which could take ages, its the only reason i rooted, i guess you could play with the cpu clock and such

Toshiba Qosmio i7 3630qm/12gb ddr3/GTX670m/256gb Crucial M4
wangFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 06:47 PM   #3
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Just being able to use Titanium Backup to freeze or remove the bloatware is a nice bonus. And removing all the other monitoring type stuff on the phone for tethering and such is a blessing.

Your hardware will you for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 3, 2012, 07:04 PM   #4
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian is not someone to be trifled withElysian is not someone to be trifled withElysian is not someone to be trifled withElysian is not someone to be trifled withElysian is not someone to be trifled withElysian is not someone to be trifled withElysian is not someone to be trifled with

More often than not you don't have to unroot. An app like Rootkeeper is a good thing to use so you don't lose it after the update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Zero
Sass hole

Zero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppersZero has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

+1 Titanium Backup

"Optimists believe this is the best of all possible worlds. Pessimists fear that it is true."
-Robert Oppenheimer

"I love my dog. But my doctor say we cannot make babies. I guess we'll adopt children and just have sechs."
-SpongeBebop, Rage3D 2003

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the group. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friederich Nietzsche on James Crivellone

Antec P180B
Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Intel Q9550 (400x8.5 1.25v stock HSF)
Corsair HX620
4GB Mushkin XP2 DDR2 PC-8500 (500 5-5-5-2)
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
250GB Maxtor
NEC 3500A + LG 8162B
HP w2408 24" LCD
Logitech EasyCall Desktop KB + Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Asus M50SV-A1
15.4" LCD 1440x900
T9300 2.5GHz 6MB Cache VM-enabled
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Nvidia 9500M GS
320GB WD Scorpio
8x DL DVD-RW
Realtek HD Audio
802.11 Draft-N / BT 2.1
HDMI audio-capable output

Silverstone LC-17B
EVGA 780i
C2D e6600 2.4GHz
OCZ GameXStrem 700W
4GB Mushkin XP2 DDR2 PC-8500 (500 5-5-5-2)
ATI 4770 1GB
500GB Western Digital + 250GB Maxtor HDs
Samsung 50" PN50C550 Plasma TV

Dark Knight Modded Xbox 360 Premium (Launch)
XBox 360 RE5 Elite (Jasper)
Xbox 360 Arcade (Jasper)
PS3 60GB
Black Wii w/ wiikey
NDS Onyx

+1 bazillion games
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Apocalypsee
Rage3D Veteran

Apocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Install cpu control program such as setcpu and lower the clock to 600MHz, its sufficient enough to run most programs while having better battery and lower temperature
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 07:29 AM   #7
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
Just being able to use Titanium Backup to freeze or remove the bloatware is a nice bonus. And removing all the other monitoring type stuff on the phone for tethering and such is a blessing.

Your hardware will you for it.
Agreed. Purchase and tnstall Titanium Backup Pro. Freeze all the useless bloatware and apps you don't need, and you'll free up memory in the process too. Then start using the Hotspot features of your phone for free.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 01:54 AM   #8
Scott
I like my backyard

Scott is still being judged by the masses

I got a pair of tweezers, a can of air, and some bacardi :\

-
sittal
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 02:56 AM   #9
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

I downloaded the free version of Titanium Backup and I don't see what is so great about it? Maybe I need to spend more time with it but nothing jumped out at me feature wise.

Also, apparently Motorola/Verizon release a system update for my phone that I've been putting off. Would I need to unroot my phone to get this update? If I install over the top of it would it 'brick' my phone? Sorry for the nubness of these questions, I just have never messed with my phone to this degree before.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 06:03 AM   #10
Apocalypsee
Rage3D Veteran

Apocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselApocalypsee exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

You could just do the update but your previous root will be nullified even when the superuser apps is still there so you need to root again. That is what I experience when I do OTA update from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 07:43 AM   #11
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Titanium backup is an excellent backup program that captures software in the current state. So for example, you could backup your Angry Birds progress, and restore that state if you phone was lost, broken, or flashed for a new ROM. Titanium Backup also has the fantastic freezing feature, so you can disable useless software that is wasting RAM on the phone.

As for official OTA updates for your phone, typically this will break the root, and often you need to unroot before installing them. Remember that phones are often rooted because of a security hole that someone exploits for the greater good. But if an OTA update plugs that security hole, then the root method you used is now useless.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 07:48 AM   #12
wc326
Rage3D Veteran

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Titanium backup is an excellent backup program that captures software in the current state. So for example, you could backup your Angry Birds progress, and restore that state if you phone was lost, broken, or flashed for a new ROM. Titanium Backup also has the fantastic freezing feature, so you can disable useless software that is wasting RAM on the phone.

As for official OTA updates for your phone, typically this will break the root, and often you need to unroot before installing them. Remember that phones are often rooted because of a security hole that someone exploits for the greater good. But if an OTA update plugs that security hole, then the root method you used is now useless.
it is really the best tools. if you flash rom alot..
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 01:17 PM   #13
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice can recite pi backwardsice can recite pi backwardsice can recite pi backwardsice can recite pi backwardsice can recite pi backwardsice can recite pi backwardsice can recite pi backwards

The only backup I trust is a nandroid backup. You should look into that now that you're rooted, it's basically a full image of your phone.

X3350 (3.6GHZ)|4GB of GSkill|500GB + 320GB SATA|ECS GTX 580 |Abit IP35 Pro|Windows 7 64 Ultimate

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 09:30 PM   #14
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyTreeckcold57 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyTreeckcold57 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Agreed. Purchase and tnstall Titanium Backup Pro. Freeze all the useless bloatware and apps you don't need, and you'll free up memory in the process too. Then start using the Hotspot features of your phone for free.
Awesome. Now, I need the android gift card to purchase it.

Treeckcold57 F@H stat
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote