Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

"

Old Apr 1, 2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Osirus
Rage3D Veteran

Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Impulse buy

So,
I was in walmart over in the USA yesterday and picked up a 42" Vizio 3d smart tv. total impulse buy. was looking at it and thought.. what the hell.
I had just sold one of my photographs for $500.00 so that covered most of the cost there.
(got dinged $90 bringing it across the boarder though grr)

Set it up and.. well the screw for the base does not fit at all, dosent go in like it says in the manual. but no biggie, the base is on solid without the screw.

the picture quality on it seems really good, ( alot better than my toshiba 42 1080p set i had in here before.)
the 3d is pretty cool. came with 2 sets of glasses and i picked up 5 more pairs for $39 Uncharted 3 looks awesome in 3d!

the apps are fun too, alot of them wont work in canada or you have to subscribe to though, and sucks you cant delete any of the aps that came with the set.

and for some reason the facebook app dosent have inbox or messaging features??wtf?

other than the few gripes i love the set so far.

love the full qwerty keyboard on the bottom of the remote
Osirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 01:54 PM   #2
curio
Ho Ho Hoes

curio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Subscriber

I like Vizio's for the price. What did you pay?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Osirus
Rage3D Veteran

Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Osirus once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

$648
Really liking it, used to be pretty against getting a vizio tv.. but they have grown on me lol

Picture on it is so much better than my toshiba 42" lcd that was a few years old.
impressed at the speakers in the tv too.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:12 PM   #4
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

I just piched up the 47 inch version e3d470vx vizio and love it so far. I have massive issues with shutter glasses for 3d so the passive solution works great for me and if I need more glasses I'll oops a couple pairs when I go to the theatre for a movie

Arkham City is not too bad on the 360 in 3D and the Comcast 3d channels and on demand look great as well. Also Gears of war is not as bad in 3D as some reviews say and has a consistent look all around.

I am not a fan of the soap opera effect of the 120hz and 240 hz TVs where everything looks fake and too smooth which thankfully can be disabled and tweaked.

I like the internet apps and it isn't like there is local storage so uninstalling them would serve no purpose. Netflix, Vudu, and hulu work well although I prefer the 360 apps better.

Overall after a couple days I am impressed. The picture clarity is great, I am not sold on LED backlighting right now as every set I looked at has edge bleed no matter how expensive or cheap which bothers me, so this set not having it is a plus in my book and looks consistent with no bleed on my set.

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:48 AM   #5
curio
Ho Ho Hoes

curio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabran View Post
and if I need more glasses I'll oops a couple pairs when I go to the theatre for a movie
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:36 PM   #6
Osirus
Rage3D Veteran

i was in walmart last week and saw they reduced the price of the set i bought to $598
so i went up to the guy and asked what the price guarentee was
i said is there like a 30 day proce protection where if the price drops i can bring in my recipt and get the difference refunded?
he said yeah, how long ago did you buy it? i said about 2 weeks, he said yeah you will be fine, just bring it in.

So 3 days later back to the USA i go and i go to customer service..

"no, its only price guaranteed for 7 days. sorry"

wtf..

so i went back to the electronics section, got someone there..
he said it was only 15 days..
asked if i wanted a manager.
i said yes

So i said, but i have 90 days to return the tv right?

yes.

so i can go home bring back my tv, and get my money back, and then get a new one for $50 cheaper.

yes.

well, i guess il just do that then,

manager arrives,
explain to him guy the other night said i could do it.

got my $50 back

still really liking the tv

im sure i had a different app store when i first turned it on though.
then it said it needed to update and reboot the tv, so it did, and it was gone..
something to do with canada/ usa i think
at first some apps wouldnt load saying some error about region does not match location (USA)(Canada)
but after it did that , the error was gone and everything worked.
but that other app store is gone...
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:38 PM   #7
Osirus
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
saw 21 jump street a few weeks back.
grabbed a few pairs from the bin
i now have a total 10 pairs of 3d glasses.
Old May 1, 2012, 12:26 PM   #8
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

What I don't get is the supposed resolution in 3D. I know it's cut into 2 1920x540 images and some people complain that it is reduced. but when watching it wouldn't it be 1920x1080 since the images are combined.

The image is excellent in 3D and flicker free with great depth so I have no complaints about the quality. I'm just trying to get my head around why some videophiles complain about that so much.

I've been watching some of the comcast 3D stuff the past couple days and it is really good (almost makes a bad movie tolerable )

I refuse to buy Blu-Ray because of the politics of the format and have held out for this long, but a friend with too much disposable income gave me a stack of Blu-Rays to watch for the new TV and Worst Buy has a Sharp Aquos 3D Blu Ray player for $49.99 on sale (reg $179) since I'm not invested in the format I'm not really losing out of anything so I may give it a go. Since I stream everything, I would be using it primarily for 3D Blu-Rays so for $49 I may have to try. The player is probably last years model but I don't care as long as it supports the 3D.

Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
Old May 3, 2012, 11:12 PM   #9
NYHecK
Bad motha-shut yo mouth!™

NYHecK is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Lol I got the same 42" TV this past saturday. Got it mounted on the wall last night.

My biggest complaint is actually the remote. No backlight and I have to push the keyboard buttons pretty hard for it to register. I want to ditch it for a universal remote that I can actually see what I'm doing in dim light, but surprisingly there aren't any universal remotes that have some kind of keyboard. I thought for sure the Harmony remotes would have one.

Now to sound decisions....5.1 or soundbar...hmm
Old May 4, 2012, 12:39 AM   #10
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHecK View Post
Lol I got the same 42" TV this past saturday. Got it mounted on the wall last night.

My biggest complaint is actually the remote. No backlight and I have to push the keyboard buttons pretty hard for it to register. I want to ditch it for a universal remote that I can actually see what I'm doing in dim light, but surprisingly there aren't any universal remotes that have some kind of keyboard. I thought for sure the Harmony remotes would have one.

Now to sound decisions....5.1 or soundbar...hmm
I got the Vizio soundbar and sub and am pleased with the sound. (not surround but quality is good) and a major step up from the lousy built in speakers.

The remote is pretty lousy but for what I need it is fine as I'm not typing with the keyboard much anyway so I can deal with it.

I did pick up that $49 sale Sharp Aquos Blu Ray player (mainly for 3D movies) and the 3D is really good. Loading times are not the greatest but hey it was $49

There are remotes with keypads and I'm sure I can find a replacement if I looked hard enough.

My seven year old XBR this set replaced weighed 130 pounds and was a bear to mount. This set at 45 pounds was so much easier and looks cleaner as well without the silver trim pieces of the sony.

Old May 19, 2012, 02:50 PM   #11
NYHecK
Bad motha-shut yo mouth!™

NYHecK is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

I loved this T.V so much I returned it.

And got the 47" model lol. I thought it was amusing that the 47" model came with a screwdriver though and the 42" didn't.
Old May 19, 2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Sazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus View Post
$648
Really liking it, used to be pretty against getting a vizio tv.. but they have grown on me lol

Picture on it is so much better than my toshiba 42" lcd that was a few years old.
impressed at the speakers in the tv too.
Yah, Vizio TV's grow on you like tumors
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote