Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Site-related Forums » Rage3D Member Review Zone
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rage3D Member Review Zone Have a hot new hardware or software component to show off? Get noticed! The Rage3D Member Review Area is your one-stop shop to share your reviewing expertise with the Rage3D community.

"

Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:22 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Bleeder
Radeon HD 6870

Bleeder is still being judged by the masses

Default Corsair H80

Even though the Corsair H80 has been around for a long time I thought that I would post my views on it. Actually it's mostly about the fans that come with the H80.

First off I have an Intel 2600K OC'd with the following (measured with Aida64):

Core Volts - 1.352
CPU OC'd to - 4.533MHz
Bus - 103Mhz
Chip temp - between 48c to 51c
Cores between - 56c and 61c

I'm running also running Folding@Home on this box so the CPU usage is max'd at 100% 24/7.

The H80 does a great job cooling the 2600K and I'm VERY happy with my purchase. No Pump noise at all and it was very easy to install and has been keeping the CPU a few of C below the standard Intel fan.

Sound of the Corairs fans:
loud... very load... almost need to yell at my wife so she can her me speak in the office. Not good at all.

Picked up 2 Gelid Silent 12 PWM fans (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...Tpk=FN-PX12-15) to replace the 2 Corsair fans.

They do not cool any better or worse than the standard Corsair fans that come with the H80. In fact the temps are the same - give or take a degree or two.

What the selling point of these fans is I can now talk to my wife, talk on the phone or even fall asleep in my comfy chair with my CPU running full tilt with these fan in place.

The Gelid Silent 12 PWM fans that only cost 13 bucks each are great. The best fans for the relative price that I have purchased in about 20 years of putting systems together.

If you have or are going to purchase a Corsair H80 I 100% recommend spending the few extra bucks on these fans if you are planing on running your CPU full tilt while you are in the same room. (pick up a PWM Y cable while your at it too for about 6 bucks so you can plug both into the same mother board power connector)

Last edited by Bleeder : May 13, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:03 AM   #2
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Sazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English Channel

I went through 3 of the H80's. Every single one had the same clicking sound coming from the pump and eventually I just said screw it and went with an air-cooled solution.

The fans you describe seem to be the route I would have liked to have gone if I had kept my cooler. It worked great, just the pump clicking sound was annoying as hell and a well known issue
Old May 1, 2012, 12:26 AM   #3
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

H80 running fine here. No pump sound and imported all the way from US of A. Thank God my experience with Amazon shipments have been better than some of the peeps on the forums. Shipped an H80 and it works dandy and also got a Diamond 7970 and it is killing kittens.

H80 is definitely a great cooler but damn anything above low is worse than air cooling to me. Whole point of water was to reduce sound and with H80 medium and high setting is unbearable for me.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 1, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
H80 running fine here. No pump sound and imported all the way from US of A. Thank God my experience with Amazon shipments have been better than some of the peeps on the forums. Shipped an H80 and it works dandy and also got a Diamond 7970 and it is killing kittens.

H80 is definitely a great cooler but damn anything above low is worse than air cooling to me. Whole point of water was to reduce sound and with H80 medium and high setting is unbearable for me.
Change the fans on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
Old May 13, 2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Bleeder
Radeon HD 6870

Picked up another H80 to cool an FX-8150 and again no pump noise. Haven't changed the f'ing crappy fans yet though. The fans with this one are actually louder than the first H80 I picked up.

I'm wondering if the pump noise that some are complaining bought is the BS fans that Corsair ships with these units.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:23 PM   #6
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeder View Post
Picked up another H80 to cool an FX-8150 and again no pump noise. Haven't changed the f'ing crappy fans yet though. The fans with this one are actually louder than the first H80 I picked up.

I'm wondering if the pump noise that some are complaining bought is the BS fans that Corsair ships with these units.
I've heard a noisy pump unit. (wasn't an H80, but the same pump I believe the H100 uses). They most certainly can make some noise.

Guy solved his by removing the system from the machine and shaking the pump with the radiator above. Whatever bit of air was trapped in the system was in the pump. Shaking it got the air bubbles to move into the radiator where they should stay and keep the pump quiet.

I have a feeling that a lot of people who experience noisy pumps haven't shaken the air out of the pump. I shook out my H60 even, just to make sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
Old May 25, 2012, 03:49 PM   #7
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Location: Manches All hail king Dave, ruler of all Manchesville
JohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English Channel

Subscriber

Through sheer determination I'm still using an H80... its my 4th one in 6 months.

First problem: messaged a corsair 'techie' in regards to whether the H80 would fit into my case as I thought it would be too tight a fit without modification. Was advised that it would indeed fit, lo and behold I receive the unit and it would not fit, had to mod the case slightly.

Then the fan controller died after 3 days. Corsair advised me to pay to ship it back... just went to my supplier and quoted the SOGA etc....

Second one arrived, fan controller died after a few weeks. 3rd one arrived... fan controller ok but started making a grinding noise which I could hear over xfire 5850s whilst playing games.

My 4th one has no grinding but the fan controller has died.... just purchased a separate fan controller in the end to be done with it.

This is my first corsair product and maybe my last due to these issues... it is such a shame as it is a fantastic cooler, I just wish that the quality assurance was better.

Also I have never seen a separate form in a box before stating that if there is a problem do not contact the store you purchased it from, but themselves directly... very suspicious.
Old May 25, 2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Sazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English ChannelSazar once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEJohn View Post
Through sheer determination I'm still using an H80... its my 4th one in 6 months.

First problem: messaged a corsair 'techie' in regards to whether the H80 would fit into my case as I thought it would be too tight a fit without modification. Was advised that it would indeed fit, lo and behold I receive the unit and it would not fit, had to mod the case slightly.

Then the fan controller died after 3 days. Corsair advised me to pay to ship it back... just went to my supplier and quoted the SOGA etc....

Second one arrived, fan controller died after a few weeks. 3rd one arrived... fan controller ok but started making a grinding noise which I could hear over xfire 5850s whilst playing games.

My 4th one has no grinding but the fan controller has died.... just purchased a separate fan controller in the end to be done with it.

This is my first corsair product and maybe my last due to these issues... it is such a shame as it is a fantastic cooler, I just wish that the quality assurance was better.

Also I have never seen a separate form in a box before stating that if there is a problem do not contact the store you purchased it from, but themselves directly... very suspicious.
That grinding sound is the pump air issue. Sometimes it is fixed by running it for a while and getting it fixed that route, sometimes, it just won't go away.

Unfortunately all of mine were similarly afflicted and none of them had the sound go away except the last one and only when I lay my case on it's side. It would come back when I raised it back up.

The cooler works very well, yes, but not worth it in my opinion. My Hyper 212+ works within a degree or two and is completely silent
Old May 25, 2012, 05:17 PM   #9
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

JohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English ChannelJohnEJohn once jumped the English Channel

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
That grinding sound is the pump air issue. Sometimes it is fixed by running it for a while and getting it fixed that route, sometimes, it just won't go away.

Unfortunately all of mine were similarly afflicted and none of them had the sound go away except the last one and only when I lay my case on it's side. It would come back when I raised it back up.

The cooler works very well, yes, but not worth it in my opinion. My Hyper 212+ works within a degree or two and is completely silent
Yeah I did that (put the case on its side) but after a week it returned. Basically from what I have read, air gets trapped in the system and or calcification. If this one goes tits up I will also go for the 212+, had my eye on it for a while just in case.
Old May 25, 2012, 06:24 PM   #10
Bleeder
Radeon HD 6870

Quote:

It does suck that people are having problems like this because, so far for me, both have been running great.

The main drawing point of the H80 for me is not the looks but to pull the CPU heat out of the case. Hopefully I will stay lucky and these units will last for me.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:05 PM   #11
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Quote:
Yeah I did that (put the case on its side) but after a week it returned. Basically from what I have read, air gets trapped in the system and or calcification. If this one goes tits up I will also go for the 212+, had my eye on it for a while just in case.
Yah, the Hyper is a bitch to install in some cases (it's quite tall, so fair warning) but as I said, it's silent and even with just 1 fan, it is running about 1-2 C warmer than the H80 did. And, I don't have to worry about the stupid pump and air.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:02 AM   #12
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppersKAC has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Wow, those are some seriously devastating results on the H80. Its good that mine is working as advertised. If it didn't I would be dead in the water (pun intended) because I wouldn't ship it back to Amazon all the way to US of A.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 01:46 PM   #13
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Subscriber

Must have tempted fate.... grinding noise is back again after a couple of days away.

Think that this shall be my first and last Corsair purchase.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:33 AM   #14
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

Quote:
Must have tempted fate.... grinding noise is back again after a couple of days away.

Think that this shall be my first and last Corsair purchase.
Wow... just, wow! Dayem!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:59 PM   #15
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Subscriber

Tell me about it, I just seem to have been really unlucky and received bad unit after unit.

Going all out instead and will be building my own water-cooling setup. Was going to purchase if from the states but held off to see if I can purchase it from the UK for a reasonable price as the amount of problems I have had with this H80 has me concerned with warranty's etc.

From what I have read and I have no idea how accurate it is but apparently since cool it solutions started to produce the H80's the quality control has gone down the drain.

Hope you guys have continued success with yours as if it does go faulty you may end up with a cycle of bad parts being sent your way.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:45 AM   #16
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

Yeah, my cooler is pumping fine... get it... pumping... fine...