Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

"

Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
TenFour
Rage3D Veteran

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

Windows What are these blank partitions?

I set these partitions up so long ago I don't remember which is which.

C has Windows 7 on it. D is just backup files. E has Windows 8 on it.

F I think is just backup files from looking at it, but I know I had Ubuntu on here somewhere. So what are these partitions that have no drive letter? Does Ubuntu appear as a blank partition name?

Also, I want to erase Windows 8, but the option to erase this partition is grayed out.

Last edited by TenFour : Apr 23, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:40 AM   #2
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykoralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykoralis can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
F I think is just backup files from looking at it, but I know I had Ubuntu on here somewhere. So what are these partitions that have no drive letter? Does Ubuntu appear as a blank partition name?

It would... it's formatted with a non-windows filesystem, so Windows can't mount it (without additional programs, etc.)

The smallest partition is probably the bootloader chunk that Windows seems to insist on setting up since Windows 7.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:54 PM   #3
TenFour
Rage3D Veteran

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

Thanks. So how do I go about removing Windows 8?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:52 PM   #4
hordaktheman
Hans... boobie...

hordaktheman is still being judged by the masses

It's hard to tell without knowing your system but it looks quite messed up. Your C: and F: are non-active logical drives and if E: is your Win8 partition then there's a chance that deleting it would erase your bootloader. Previous versions of Windows could only boot from an active primary partition (which I think is still true of Win7) and would suggest that it's placed on one of those other partitions. A linux LiveCD should be able to tell you that.

If your Win8 install took over the bootloader then I'm not entirely sure what you can do short of erasing the entire partition and replacing it with a linux bootloader. If you boot from a LiveCD and erase+resize your Win8 partition (as well as your Ubuntu partitions if you wish) then you should be able to reinstall GRUB to that first active partition and use it to load Win7. Your Win7 install media might have similar tools though I wouldn't bank on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
The smallest partition is probably the bootloader chunk that Windows seems to insist on setting up since Windows 7.
913mb is awfully big to be the bootloader and should have a 'System Reserved' name in the upper window and be labeled an NTFS partition. It's more likely to be the swap partition for Ubuntu.
hordaktheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:04 AM   #5
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyASCI Blue can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

there is a windows command to fix a boot loader and I dare to say it's something odd like /fix boot from a command prompt but you'll have to boot from disc.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 05:23 AM   #6
hobs0n
Rage3D Veteranski

hobs0n is still being judged by the masses

I found this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523...ader-problems/

Hopefully it helps you
Kohina Radio and Slay Radio are great Chip Music Radio Stations.

Jeroen Tel, Rob Hubbard and Galway - the computer equivalent of Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. Quoted from doctorbubble from youtube.

Public Service FTW!
hobs0n is offline   Reply With Quote