Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » General Radeon Discussion
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Radeon Discussion General discussion for news and rumours about discrete Radeon graphics products. Do not ask for tech support here, instead please use the Radeon Technical Support forum.

"

Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
oozz77
Radeon HD 7970

oozz77 is still being judged by the masses

Default Monitor and TV at same time?

For the first time ever, I have moved my whole computer into my back room and decided to buy a 5 meter HDMI cable and connect my 5770 to both my computer and HD TV and it works great!! The only thing is that the sound still comes out of my speakers and not the TV if I watch a movie from my hard drive!! I simply can't activate the TV speaker?

The only other thing I noticed is that the 5770 clocks were running at 400MHZ instead of 157mhz. Is this normal when running both is is there a way to lower GPU clock usage and temps?

Also as a first timer, can I have the Monitor just normal web surfing, etc and watch a movie on the TV from my computer?
ASUS EAH5770 CuCore
LG 20' Wide Screen Flatron
LG-GSA DVD Rewriter/Burner, Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D,
3 x 620 gig drives, Cable Internet,
SoundWorks FPS 1000+Altec Lansing(6.1 setup),
oozz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:41 PM   #2
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

kakarot is still being judged by the masses

The higher clocks are required to drive more than one display, not much you can do there other than disable the tv when not in use.
For the sound output there are two options. You can either set the windows default playback device to the hdmi output and all sound will go through the tv. Or you can just set it from within your video playback application so only it sends the sound to the tv. That way you can game on your pc speakers and when you watch a movie the sound goes thru the tv.
Also you can definitely surf and watch movies at the same time
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:01 PM   #3
demo
space cadet

demo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdemo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

You have to set the sound to pass over HDMI if you want it to come through the TV. Have a look in sound properties.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:38 PM   #4
oozz77
Radeon HD 7970

Thanks Guys,

Quote:
Also you can definitely surf and watch movies at the same time

I've tried a few things with CCC but dumb or not, I can't see where to do this. Any advice or pictures of the CCC how to set this up?

Quote:
For the sound output there are two options. You can either set the windows default playback device to the hdmi output and all sound will go through the tv. Or you can just set it from within your video playback application so only it sends the sound to the tv. That way you can game on your pc speakers and when you watch a movie the sound goes thru the tv.

The second option would be great and what I would want but are you able to explain who to do it a little clearer. Thanks kakarot.

Quote:
You have to set the sound to pass over HDMI if you want it to come through the TV. Have a look in sound properties.

Hi Demo, have looked through the sound properties but can't seem to change it?
ASUS EAH5770 CuCore
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:18 PM   #5
lil bastard
Radeon HD 6970

lil bastard is still being judged by the masses

For option two:
What program are you using to watch movies? You would have to find the option to set the audio output in that program to AMD HDMI.

You shouldnt have to set anything up in Catalyst control center to get it working for surfing and TV at the same time. Just figure out option two above and you should be ok.

Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 | i5-2400 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | 60GB OCZ Vertex Plus SSD - SRT | WD Black 1TB | Antec Earthwatts 500w | Vizio 42" 1080P | Sapphire HD7850 OC | ATI Theater 650 Pro

Intel DH67BL | i3-2100 | 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 | 1x2TB WD EARS | 4x2TB Samsung F4EG | Antec Earthwatts 380w | Headless

Lenovo x230t Tablet PC | i5-3320M | 8GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 256GB 830SSD |

lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:07 PM   #6
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

In your sound control panel under playback devices you should see your sound card and amd hdmi outputs. You simply right click and set as default the device you want sound from. I personally only watch movies on the tv so I have set my output to hdmi from within mpc-hc (my movie app). let us know what you use to play movies and we can help with that.
I also haven't tried this but it seems like a nice option as well if you don't want to be switching around (it will send ALL sound to pc speakers and tv simultaneously)
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...-in-windows-7/

As to how to play a movie and surf at the time; just open the movie in your favorite player and drag it to the tv and then continue surfing on your pc monitor

Edit- Just to give you an idea, this is what my mpc-hc sound output settings look like

Last edited by kakarot : Apr 30, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old May 1, 2012, 03:45 AM   #7
oozz77
Radeon HD 7970

Gee Guys thanks for the help so far, but something is still not right and I will try and explain one more time without wasting anyone's time further.

I have my monitor plugged into my 5770 through DVI connector (not the old VGA) and now have plugged the new HDMI into the second slot on my 5770 and then directly into my HD TV.

All works fine video wise but if I surf the net, same comes up on the TV! If I watch one of my movies from my computer, same comes up on my monitor.

So how do I just surf on the computer, but also have a movie going on the HD TV?

The second problem is the sound!! Right clicking on the sound properties icon, I only get,

Speakers- tick
Headphones-cross
Digital Audio (s/PDIF)-ready
AMD HDMI Output-cross

So for some reason it won't let me "set as default" the AMD HDMI and the "configure" is greyed out as if it isn't there.

My Altec Lansing speakers and sub are simply plugged into the normal audio jacks on my mobo.

So basically it seems that the AMD HDMI output is not being found or recognized even though it shows up in playback devices!!
ASUS EAH5770 CuCore
Old May 1, 2012, 06:10 AM   #8
Dyre Straits
Rage3D Veteran

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

First of all, you don't want to DUPLICATE the Desktop. Rather, you want to EXTEND the Desktop. This then creates the two separate displays instead of seeing the same thing on both screens.

If you're having problems getting it to EXTEND, you need to check out using the other DVI output on the video card...if present.

If you're wanting the sound for the video/movie to play through the HDMI cable on the TV, you have to go into the program that you're using to play the video/movie and make the change there...NOT via CCC!

Example: Windows Media Player

Go up to the line that shows your files location. [Navigation Bar.] Right click and scroll to Tools...then go on to Options. Click on that.

Next, click on the Devices tab.

Go down and select Speakers. Then, open Properties.

IF your TV is on and detected via CCC, you'll see the AMD HDMI option in the dropdown list under Select the audio device. Select that and play your video/movie to see if it's working now.
~Windows 7 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 7970 3 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Windows 7 Pro x64~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Dyre Straits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 08:31 AM   #9
oozz77
Radeon HD 7970

Thanks Dyre Straits,

Quote:
If you're wanting the sound for the video/movie to play through the HDMI cable on the TV, you have to go into the program that you're using to play the video/movie and make the change there...NOT via CCC!

Example: Windows Media Player

Go up to the line that shows your files location. [Navigation Bar.] Right click and scroll to Tools...then go on to Options. Click on that.

Next, click on the Devices tab.

Go down and select Speakers. Then, open Properties.

IF your TV is on and detected via CCC, you'll see the AMD HDMI option in the dropdown list under Select the audio device. Select that and play your video/movie to see if it's working now.

I have done this and this is where my system some how has a problem!! The drop down list does not show any AMD HDMI option,
only Default Audio
Speaker(2 high definition audio device)
Digital Audio(S/PDIF)2 high definition audio device

No mention of AMD HDMI audio at all.

May just have to live with the computer speakers!!!
ASUS EAH5770 CuCore
Old May 1, 2012, 12:27 PM   #10
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

Which tv are you using? Some times the tv has to be powered on and set the input you have the pc connected to for the audio outputs to appear/be selectable (on some older ones you might even have to reboot while its on and at the desired input). Also what do you see in windows device manager under audio devices? On the previous post it seems to have been an option, did you uninstall something?

Last edited by kakarot : May 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old May 1, 2012, 03:26 PM   #11
lil bastard
Radeon HD 6970

lil bastard is still being judged by the masses

Hi, try using the realtek drivers for the ATI HDMI output. Go here and look for the one specifically for ATI HDMI Audio output. That should fix the greyed out icon.
http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...&GetDown=false

Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 | i5-2400 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | 60GB OCZ Vertex Plus SSD - SRT | WD Black 1TB | Antec Earthwatts 500w | Vizio 42" 1080P | Sapphire HD7850 OC | ATI Theater 650 Pro

Intel DH67BL | i3-2100 | 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 | 1x2TB WD EARS | 4x2TB Samsung F4EG | Antec Earthwatts 380w | Headless

Lenovo x230t Tablet PC | i5-3320M | 8GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 256GB 830SSD |

lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 08:40 PM   #12
oozz77
Radeon HD 7970

Thanks everyone.

I will try all the suggestions just mentioned as well.

I am downloading the latest Realtek drivers now (even though I always keep my drivers up to date) and give them a crack.

I will also leave the TV plugged in and on and reboot.

I am using my older 2 year old 32" Samsung HD TV with 2 HDMI inputs and various others!

Under Device Manager I have,

AMD High Def Audio Device
Asus Virtual Video Capture
High Def Audio Device
Logitec Mic/(quickCam E3500) but under the playback devices in my task bar I have,

Speakers- tick
Headphones-cross
Digital Audio (s/PDIF)-ready
AMD HDMI Output-cross-this AMD HDMI Output is greyed out and I can't get to or change the prperties!!

I also have all the latest 12.4 Catalyst Drivers installed.

I will give the above a crack today and get back to you all with results!! It's just annoying now that I have finally set myself up in my "Private" back room now that all my kids have left home and I now have the space and desire to setup all my Mutimedia as I would like!!
ASUS EAH5770 CuCore
Old May 2, 2012, 07:42 AM   #13
oozz77
Radeon HD 7970

OK guys,

Finally getting a little better.

I did all the above and did everything but still no go until I simply unplugged the HDMI from the back of my 5770 and replugged it and low and behold, it now shows up under device manager!!!

Now when I fired up a movie from my computer through media player and changed to AMD HDMI, TV sound now works - great!!

But now my computer speakers don't unless I go to "playback Devices" and click "Speakers"!!

So it seems to give me one or the other but not both!!

Nearly there so any final suggestion on how to leave my computer speakers for my Monitor but get sound for movies on TV without having to go to "playback devices" each time?

Thanks Guys
ASUS EAH5770 CuCore
Old May 4, 2012, 02:47 PM   #14
kakarot
Rage3D Veteran

The only way to do that is to leave the windows panel on speakers and set the sound output to amd from within your movie playback app as stated above. What do you use to play your movies? The picture I posted above is for mpc-hc
Old May 5, 2012, 04:02 AM   #15
oozz77
Radeon HD 7970

I use either Media Player or DIVX for watching my movies and yes, I did enable the AMD HDMI through the media player and TV speakers now work great!!!
ASUS EAH5770 CuCore