Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

"

Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
The Voodoo
Radeon HD 6990

The Voodoo is still being judged by the masses

Default Should I Buy? AMD FX 8120

Currently I have the option to purchase the above CPU for $100.. + $100 for a Mobo. This would be a replacement for a Phenom 2 965 3.4ghz OC'd up to 3.9ghz.

Would there be any benefit if I overclocked the AMD FX 8120 up to 4+ ghz?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:01 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Retired

caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'caveman-jim once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Yes and no, but for the most part it'd be sideways from what you've got. Depending on the mobo it might be a good way to get a better platform, though (features, next gen FX support etc.)
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

If he is planning to recoup some of the money from his current build I would say go for it.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Crisler
Rage3D Veteran

Crisler is still being judged by the masses

Caveman is right this is a lot more of a sideways step than an upgrade. Unless you NEED the extra cores for something you will not get a performance gain.

Personally I wopuld save the money you plan to spend and keep it to see what comes next.
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Guybo is still being judged by the masses

From all I read/hear, that will be an incremental tiny upgrade at best. For $200, it's not worth it IMHO.
Guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:27 AM   #6
noko
Rage3D Veteran

noko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynoko can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Voodoo View Post
Currently I have the option to purchase the above CPU for $100.. + $100 for a Mobo. This would be a replacement for a Phenom 2 965 3.4ghz OC'd up to 3.9ghz.

Would there be any benefit if I overclocked the AMD FX 8120 up to 4+ ghz?
That depends on what you do, motherboard you are buying etc. If you do 3d rendering it would be a major upgrade, for gaming -> meh, not much there to gain since most games use less then 4 cores or half of what the 8120 has. If you do virtualization alot or multitask, hell yeah, great improvement. If for busines type uses, internet etc. not much there. If you do video work or other type of multimedia stuff yes.

In other words not enough info in your usage to determine a good answer for you. To OC well you will need a good HSF combo or water cooler. My cpu overheated with stock 8120 cooler at 4ghz in an A/C cooled case . My 8120 has gone up to 5.3ghz, 5ghz stable (couldn't test higher due to heat issues, my Antec 620 water cooler is not enough to keep it cool past 5ghz and is not really usable at 5ghz either with my A/C rig setup and Antec 620 water cooler. I keep mine around 4.7ghz, solid as a rock, max usable for my setup is around 4.8ghz. If I go with a better water cooler, like the 960 Antec I should be able to go 5ghz+ but I don't see that much gain if did.

Hope that helps.
FX8350 4.6ghz, Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro, Asus Sabortooth 990fx, 8gb DDR3 2133, Asus/PowerColor Radeon R9 290x/ 290, XFire, 950w PC pwr & cooling PS, 128gb Kingston SSD and 1tb WD SATA III, 27" IPS YHAMAKASI Catleap. Win7

HTPC - ASUS M5A88-M ATi 880G AM3+ chipset, FX8120, 750w P/S, PowerColor Radeon HD 7970, 8gb Ripjaw DDR3 1600, 1TB SATA III Seagate, MicroATX Silverstone box, 60" LED HDTV, Win8.1 Pro 64
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:32 PM   #7
Whiny Mooch

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybo View Post
From all I read/hear, that will be an incremental tiny upgrade at best. For $200, it's not worth it IMHO.
Microcenter has them for $149 and you get $40 off a motherboard. The price/performance seems OK for that.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Swiftdeathz
7870 CFX

Swiftdeathz is still being judged by the masses

I was going to get one but the power usage it has compared to other products has put me off to it. I was going to wait for the Piledriver version of the FX but decided to not wait it out since there is no sure fire way to know if it will be good enough.

If you don't mind the power usage when overclocked and/or will use the 8 cores then it's a great deal.
Swiftdeathz is offline   Reply With Quote