Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

"

Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber
Default Slowly step away from the tractor

For some reason, seems odd to put a tractor specific thread in motoring but, hey, it has a motor.

Yesterday was awful. Short version.

1965-1970 5000 series diesel Ford tractor. Hydraulic issues (bucket lift ability declining until no longer able to lift at all). Run through recommended troubleshooting tests to no avail. Neighbor gets home from work and says he'll be right over; asks me to start her up so he can see how it is (or isn't) working. Do so, but neglect to check fuel levels. Did I mention diesel? Tractor runs out of fuel. Great. So instead of working on the hydraulic system, we spend the next few hours getting air out of the fuel system. Bring out the boost charger to keep the battery functional. Sounds like we're getting close. Did I mention its been raining off / on the last few days? Downpour commences so we put it on charge, cover the tractor, and wait out the monsoon.

Its 8pm when it stops raining. Head back out, friend comes back over and we start again. New problem has cropped up. Starter gets the motor chugging a few times then "whirrrrr". Then it starts clunking. Sounds like the starter bendix is crapping out. Okay, add fuel system to hydraulic system to "do later" list, and pull the starter.

So, to recap. Have tractor that won't start and won't lift its bucket. Its sitting down in the orchard a good 300' from the nearest power; placement couldn't be much worse for working on it, and no way to pull it out of there with bucket and scrapper down. Way I'm going, I'll get the starter fixed just to have something else crap out. Good times!

Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:16 PM   #2
AllexxisF1
Resident Liberal.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

My advice ....

Grab yourself a case of beer and find a good spot to sit and stare at it a while.

Works every time.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselLupine exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

I don't drink, but this may change that!
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Uber_Tiny

Uber_Tiny is still being judged by the masses

Sounds like you need to either;
A. Do a complete overhaul of the tractor
B. Invest in a new tractor

I'll send better luck your way.

"It's clear that we can't go 24 hours without Sarah Palin saying something so stupid that it defies logic!" - Roland Martin
(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.
Uber_Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Elysian
No sir, I don't like it.

Elysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwardsElysian can recite pi backwards

You need a bigger hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Come to my neighborhood and take a swing at me. I will kill you and I will walk.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Lupine
Administrator

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber_Tiny View Post
Sounds like you need to either;
A. Do a complete overhaul of the tractor
B. Invest in a new tractor

I'll send better luck your way.
I'm thinking that's a bit of an overreaction lol - the fuel issue is operator error and just needs to be worked through. Hydraulic system - well, that's a maintenance issue - checking hydraulic fluid levels, hoses and what-not. Hydraulic piston appears to be fine (bucket doesn't drop over time) so shouldn't be anything too major. Starter, well, its a ~45yr old tractor and parts do go out. $145 for a new starter or somewhat less to rebuild. Personally, like having this old beast - its hugely powerful, fairly easy to work on, and maintenance is a fraction of the cost of a new tractor with similar capabilities.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:03 PM   #7
gamefoo21
Radeon HD5670 1GB

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

How often do you change the Hydraulic Fluid? When was the last time you changed the filters?

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Destroy
Rage3D Spammer

Destroy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDestroy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Always check the wooden fuses and muffler bearings first, its usually the source of many mechanical problems.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:23 PM   #9
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Is the pump building enough pressure, or we haven't gotten that far yet?

Also, the valving off the lever to actuate the pump and bucket lift. Are we sure that is not clogged or malfunctioning in some other manner?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:26 PM   #10
Lupine
Administrator

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
How often do you change the Hydraulic Fluid? When was the last time you changed the filters?
Fluid was fully changed several months before I bought it back in August 2010. Before I ran the silly thing out of diesel, I checked the hydraulic fluid by opening the drain plugs just enough to let some seep out - theory being that, after sitting for a couple days, any sediment or water should be settled at the bottom, and be the first thing out. Both drain plugs seeped hydraulic fluid that was a nice light brown / tan in color - which indicates the fluid itself is in good shape.

Of concern is that, when I opened the level plug, quite a bit came out - which indicates that it possibly was overfilled ... seems counter-intuitive to me, since the behavior would seem to indicate that the tractor is low on fluid and I know that some has been leaking out of a failing hose connector. After talking at length with a very knowledgeable old fellow as we tried to ID the tractor (its regrettably lacking on markings, which is why I can only say its between 1965 - 1970), he told me that overfilling can be worse than being low, since the gears churn the fluid up, creating bubbles. Anyway, the tractor isn't sitting level, so hard to say how accurate the level plug is at gauging fluid level right now.

Going to pick up the new starter today, and (hopefully) finish bleeding air out of the fuel system after work so that we can get back to focusing on the hydraulic system.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:29 PM   #11
Shadowless
U Mad Bro?

Shadowless can recite pi backwardsShadowless can recite pi backwardsShadowless can recite pi backwardsShadowless can recite pi backwardsShadowless can recite pi backwardsShadowless can recite pi backwardsShadowless can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post

Also, the valving off the lever to actuate the pump and bucket lift. Are we sure that is not clogged or malfunctioning in some other manner?
This is exactly what I'm thinking.
Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.0GHz | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Samsung 830 SSD | 1TB Samsung HDD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | MSI Hawk Radeon HD 6870 w/ Arctic Twin Turbo II | CrossFireX | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750 | Acer D241Hbmi | Windows 8.1 Pro

MSI ATX Case | MSI Z68A-G45 | Intel Core i5 2400 | Delux Infinity Air Cooler | 2x2GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 160GB Western Digital SATA | 16x Samsung DVD-R/RW | Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 | CoolMax 400w Power Supply | Samsung 21" LCD | Windows 7 Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRimm862 View Post
...if it wasn't for my mac my penis would be dry and brittle by now. Thank god. No thank mac. :heart:
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:34 PM   #12
Lupine
Administrator

Subscriber

Quote:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there is an issue in the valve pump / bucket lift assembly. Those bits are a disorganized mess, so this will be a good time to pull everything apart to check for issues then put things back together where they should be (lift / drop hoses connected to the wrong connectors). Makes operating the front attachments a nightmare even when things are working.

Also note that, unlike how it would come if the loader was factory, this is a shared system where the same hydraulic pump is used for both the loader as well as the 3 point. To me, that eliminates the pump as being an issue, as the 3 point has always been very strong ... only now, after losing hydraulic fluid, is the 3 point showing any weakness. AFAIK I need to 1) determine whether or not I need to add fluid, 2) check pressure on the loader hoses, 3) make sure none of the pistons up front are leaking. #s 1 & 3 should be pretty easy, once the machine is running again. #2 more difficult since I don't have the proper pressure tool, so will have to find one / buy one to do that check.

Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:06 PM   #13
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'd be willing to bet you can rent a pressure tester tool from a hydraulic shop somewhere close.
Quote:
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:08 PM   #14
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Of concern is that, when I opened the level plug, quite a bit came out - which indicates that it possibly was overfilled
Also if the hoses are quite old they could have swelled a bit (inner closing and outer getting bigger in diameters).
Quote:
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Redshirt_X
...dammit!

Redshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRedshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRedshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I suppose the following action plan is out:

1. Visit nearby militant survivalist neighbor
2. Borrow LAW and some earplugs
3. Blow tractor the *#&! up
4. Buy new tractor
5. ???
6. Profit

(had to do it, I'm sorry)

1. "OMG IT'S COMING!!!"
2. "OMG IT'S HERE!!!!!"
3. "....wait a minute. This isn't the Second Coming! This sucks!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
I like them tall and petite.
Redshirt_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:20 PM   #16
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

Buy one of those

Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:06 AM   #17
Lupine
Administrator

Subscriber

Relatively successful evening. We installed the replacement starter and, after 15min or so of working fuel through, were able to get her running.

We found what we think is the rear end level, and nary a drop of hydraulic fluid came out when opened. We added 5gal of fluid and, though still nothing from the assumed level came out, both loader and 3 point lifted smoothly. I'm going to pick up another 5gal (come in 2.5gal containers) tomorrow - probably won't use it all but a good thing to have on hand. Man is that stuff spendy (to me) @ $33/2.5gal.

Filled up my 4x 5gal diesel containers ($90 used to buy so much more ), which should get us through most if not all of the summer ... will do a much better job tracking fuel levels after this (one would sure hope so). Topped off ATF and checked oil and coolant levels (both fine).

I say relatively successful because, after all that, I went to move another load of bark dust and the tractor coughed out again. No idea why ... plenty of fuel and lines were all bled. Neighbor advised to go ahead and replace the fuel filters, just in case. If that doesn't do it, will open her back up and re-bleed the lines, just in case more air got in somehow (which seems impossible). Still, she was running well for a good hour or so, so I expect I'll be able to quickly diagnose and remedy it.

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet you can rent a pressure tester tool from a hydraulic shop somewhere close.
Good point. I'll call around tomorrow.

Quote:
Also if the hoses are quite old they could have swelled a bit (inner closing and outer getting bigger in diameters).
Most of the hoses look quite new, though several are suspect and are on my replacement list.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:20 AM   #18
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

That tractor seems to be riding high. Have you considered lowering it?
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:51 AM   #19
necropimp
666 Flavors

necropimp can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynecropimp can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynecropimp can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Always check the wooden fuses and muffler bearings first, its usually the source of many mechanical problems.
don't forget the canuter valve
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:11 AM   #20
Lupine
Administrator

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropimp View Post
don't forget the canuter valve
Hrm, that's worth looking into ... could be what caused the muffler bearings to seize.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:47 AM   #21
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwardsSasquach can recite pi backwards

Cows, or Bison.

Its you only option.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Samsung Syncmaster 205BW (21" widescreen) on ATI Radeon HD 5870 (Catalyst 11.1a)
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Logitech Z-5300 THX 5.1 surround and Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
---AMD Dragon+ Platform---
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:09 PM   #22
curio
It ain't easy

curio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Subscriber

The majority of the time, hydraulic issues with our forklifts and other equipment are either hose, pump or cylinder seal related. My guess is the latter simply because that is typically the case with me

You'll probably have to get your hydraulic cylinders rebuilt, as the seals are probably leaking around the piston rod.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:25 PM   #23
gamefoo21
Radeon HD5670 1GB

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

That tractor is rocking a shared hydraulic system probably, so it could be many places where it's leaking.

If they system is holding the bucket up while off, without drooping, I'd say the hydraulic cylinder seals probably aren't the culprit this time.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:27 PM   #24
curio
It ain't easy

curio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
If they system is holding the bucket up while off, without dropping, I'd say the hydraulic cylinder seals probably aren't the culprit this time.
You're right; I didn't notice he mentioned the bucket doesn't drop.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:49 AM   #25
Lupine
Administrator

Subscriber

Next ...

Bled the lines etc to no avail. Everything pointing to fuel pump failure which, if true, isn't so bad since its a relatively cheap part. If the rain holds off, will install this evening.

Still kicking myself for not checking the fuel tank filter screen when the tank was dry. Will look for some sort of a pump config to drain the tank before the fall so I can clean the tank out properly.

Speaking of kicking myself, didn't realize there is a filling station near here that sells farm diesel - the road tax and other fees add up in a hurry, so nice to know that I'll be saving quite a bit on fuel from here on out.
Old May 7, 2012, 01:30 AM   #26
KAC
Pussy face to my axe

KAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English ChannelKAC once jumped the English Channel

Need to do the ploughing without the tractor.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 03:02 PM   #27
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod knows why the caged bird singsRistogod knows why the caged bird singsRistogod knows why the caged bird singsRistogod knows why the caged bird singsRistogod knows why the caged bird sings

This is the one I drive (not the exact one, same model).

Old May 8, 2012, 03:28 PM   #28
Sazar
F@lding - Is it in you?

Sazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSazar considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
Buy one of those

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 03:34 PM   #29
Lupine
Administrator

Subscriber

I won't refuse a gifted tractor but, for now, will stick w/ my old Ford 5000 tyvm lol.